Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SirSamVimes posted:

In a sane world you would be able to talk about what the fact that there was a white Saga Anderson in Quantum Break could mean but lmao about the thought of reddit discourse on it

Computer, can you generate "white Warlin Door"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
She used to be Swedish-American and they decided for AW2 to make her American-Swedish instead

edit: It's almost a testament to Remedy's ability to make strong recurring motifs that I knew the exact character being spoken of (the lady opposite Sam Lake in the 'Return' film easter egg in QB). They even do the simultaneous coffee drink thing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 30, 2023

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
I suspect the Door family connection was not written in at that point, and obviously once you do that you kinda need to... not have a Saga who looks like that Easter Egg Saga.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah I think this is one of the few genuine retcons that is not from weird reality altering shenanigans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is loving insane that Quantum Break is canon to the Remedy universe given what actually happens in that game. Sheriff Tim(e) Breaker.

edit: vvv holy poo poo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I still think the funnier pun is quantim breaker

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So now that James is gone, they're going to cast Aiden Gillen for the Max Payne remaster right? Personally I can't think of anyone better from the Remedy shared universe.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
The Return in the easter egg is a movie adaptation. That's why they got the star of all those Alex Casey movies. Also they cast a white lady for the role of Saga Anderson

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

So now that James is gone, they're going to cast Aiden Gillen for the Max Payne remaster right? Personally I can't think of anyone better from the Remedy shared universe.

Mark Wahlberg

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I got a shiny new computer and AW2 was cheaper on Epic Games Store after all the coupons than on PS5, so I got it on PC. Good thing I did; turns out American Nightmare was in my Epic library for some reason. Must've been free at some point, I don't know? So I'm playing that and I finished the first loop.

It's nice that they made combat actually fun, but the unavoidable downside to that is that this is very much not a horror game. Blasting the poo poo out of shadow monsters with an SMG is kinda the opposite of oppressive helplessness, y'know? It's also somewhat amusing that each act goes the same way: hot girl says "hey I know you", Alan says "no that wasn't me", hot girl goes "oh okay have a fetch quest".

Also Mr. Scratch likes to have a dance party while he does weird murders so he's the protagonist now, I'm sorry, I don't make the rules.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"No, I'm from New York! I was just visiting another dimension. :)" is still the best delivered line in the whole series.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

SirSamVimes posted:

I still think the funnier pun is quantim breaker

there was already a sheriff sarah breaker in the first game so absolutely clever repurposing of the name (in the first game it was probably a reference to an electric breaker, like youd throw to turn on some lights in the game)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

call me crazy but this song is even better than Herald of darkness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f_hewSrAH4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sekenr posted:

You're crazy

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

You are a fool! you posted foolishness. Happy new year, fool

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

:toot:
Nah, it sounds good, but I need to sit down and give it a real listen. Herald of Darkness still pops into my head most mornings two months later, though, so it'll be a real contest.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Happy new year

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sekenr posted:

this is the song that got me to play alan wake in the first place, specifically the shot of alan holding up a flare and all the taken recoiling away from him made me curious about the game (and you get to recreate that shot multiple times and it rules)

poets of the fall is the origin point of my remedy love, and remedy is responsible for poets of the fall existing

it's not a loop, it's a spiral

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The important part about this song is 2.34. This is the standard Finnish monday, a Finn wakes up face-down in a forest, recovers some papers from a stream and is like "yep, these seem to be the reports I was supposed to turn in on friday"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Herald of Darkness is a great song in-game but without that context it’s not as good as Take Control or Children of the Elder God or even Late Goodbye.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A moment of reverence: When Alan Wake came out I thought Children Of The Elder God was so awesome I made it in Guitar Hero back when that was a gigantic pain in the rear end to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn5jvrH22zk

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Having finished the game, I was watching a play through again on the Gaming University YouTube channel (is that guy a goon? I swear I remember the channel being advertised on the forum at some point). He got up to Yötön Yö and I finally realised what it’s actually about.

Most people are probably aware that Remedy no longer owns the IP rights to Max Payne, which is why the character who is obviously meant to be him in AW2 is called Alex Casey. However, this isn’t really due to the usual legal chicanery - instead they purposely sold the rights to Rockstar to raise the money for their next project.

Yötön Yö is a fictionalised depiction of this story. Max Payne (Alex Casey) is ritually sacrificed so that Alan Wake can be born.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ah that makes a lot more sense

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

A moment of reverence: When Alan Wake came out I thought Children Of The Elder God was so awesome I made it in Guitar Hero back when that was a gigantic pain in the rear end to do

This rules

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Comrade Fakename posted:

Having finished the game, I was watching a play through again on the Gaming University YouTube channel (is that guy a goon? I swear I remember the channel being advertised on the forum at some point). He got up to Yötön Yö and I finally realised what it’s actually about.

Most people are probably aware that Remedy no longer owns the IP rights to Max Payne, which is why the character who is obviously meant to be him in AW2 is called Alex Casey. However, this isn’t really due to the usual legal chicanery - instead they purposely sold the rights to Rockstar to raise the money for their next project.

Yötön Yö is a fictionalised depiction of this story. Max Payne (Alex Casey) is ritually sacrificed so that Alan Wake can be born.

Huh, that's really interesting

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

:hellyeah: That's awesome, really good job :rock:

I appreciate Barry still being there in the background.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

It's kinda interesting how Ikka will now forever will be Alan Wake

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Sekenr posted:

It's kinda interesting how Ikka will now forever will be Alan Wake

To be fair to him at some point in the past/future he's also Zane the film maker.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

To be fair to him at some point in the past/future he's also Zane the film maker.

True. Personally I kinda prefer if he was the poet. It seems cooler and more kind of heroic?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This game would be Attack of the Matthew Porettas if he still looked like he did in Alan Wake 1 and I'm there for that universe.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

extending this logic, Alan's appearance in Fortnite is a representation of...being trapped in Fortnite

that makes a ton of sense but also Ahti is there talking about Control, which kind of ties in too?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
my namne is veikko alen

i'm trapped in the battle bus

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Alan Wake: "Thank you bus driver."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CJacobs posted:

"No, I'm from New York! I was just visiting another dimension. :)" is still the best delivered line in the whole series.
Having now beaten AN, I can confirm that this is indeed the best line in the game. I was also a bit surprised that the way to save Emma wasn't "just take her with you, dumbass"; I really thought the way to tip everything over into success was to bring his successive helpers along to each place so he'd have an increasing amount of manpower to handle the problems, not "we've done these loops so many times that we thwarted the Taken before they tried literally everything".

I'm on to Control, which you can immediately see where they applied their lessons from AN, and is entertainingly weird, but... everyone is so stoic. And yeah, the FBC employees literally work at the Bureau of Dangerous Weird poo poo and this is just a somewhat lovely day at the office for them, but Jesse is also completely unphased by everything. You just psychically bonded with a merry-go-round horse and gained superhuman speed, you ought to be reacting to this, I don't care if you've been in contact with a benevolent alien intelligence since you were 12 or whatever.

I'd really like to have seen Jesse as either freaking out or overenthusiastically jumping in with both feet (she does narrate that she's been searching for a way into the broader Weird World ever since she was a kid, so this is the culmination of a childhood dream for her), and then you could've used the completely stoic FBC agents as foils for her.

"Emily, I have something to tell you, and I don't know how you'll take it... I'm bonded to a benevolent extra-dimensional being who guided me here and is helping me combat the Hiss."
"Ah, yes, that does explain some things."
"...is that it..."
"I'll have to attach a form 326-B to your dossier, but otherwise, yes, ma'am."
"You have a form for 'granted unexplainable powers by unknown sapience from beyond reality'? It happens that often?"
"Director, I have forms for poo poo you've never dreamed of."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CapnAndy posted:

"Emily, I have something to tell you, and I don't know how you'll take it... I'm bonded to a benevolent extra-dimensional being who guided me here and is helping me combat the Hiss."
"Ah, yes, that does explain some things."
"...is that it..."
"I'll have to attach a form 326-B to your dossier, but otherwise, yes, ma'am."
"You have a form for 'granted unexplainable powers by unknown sapience from beyond reality'? It happens that often?"
"Director, I have forms for poo poo you've never dreamed of."

just wait till you hear about northmoor

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Alan Wake: "Thank you bus driver."
“I thanked the bus driver, but little did I know that soon I was going to be shot to death by someone in a Master Chief costume”

acksplode
May 17, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

“I thanked the bus driver, but little did I know that soon I was going to be shot to death by someone in a Master Chief costume”

https://aftermath.site/alan-wakes-fortnite-nightmare

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Benagain posted:

extending this logic, Alan's appearance in Fortnite is a representation of...being trapped in Fortnite

that makes a ton of sense but also Ahti is there talking about Control, which kind of ties in too?

Well, it’s not a secret that this game is metatextual - Sam Lake is right there. But I think it’s more meta than people give it credit. I suspect that almost every element of the game represents something to do with Remedy and its history. But you have to know absolutely everything about Remedy to understand all of it. I imagine that if you are an employee there you can go through every scene of Yötön Yö and say, “oh yeah, this is when that thing happened “. Maybe Ahti was going to be in Max Payne 3 and is asking about the FBC because they were able to cram him into Control instead.

Pretty obviously Alan being trapped in the Dark Place for thirteen years failing to write the novel that will let him escape is a reference to Remedy trying and failing to make AW2 for that long. Maybe Saga references some new person who came in and didn’t give a poo poo about the convoluted lore that Sam Lake had concocted, but was able to give them a kick up the arse and get them to actually get a game out the door.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Saga is the guy who runs Epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tim Epic created the Saga of Alan Wake, too