Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

redshirt posted:

That's cool. Do you talk X-Files?

We haven't but I'll have to bring it up next time we talk. He always loved Coast to Coast AM and I have good memories of listening to that with him too. We didn't watch it together in the original run I think I thought the theme music was too scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I loved every episode I could manage to watch when I was a kid. I didn't care for much of the actual conspiracy stuff but I loved all the aliens and crazy horror stuff. Friends and I used to debate if it was based on actual events or not.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Wow I never watched Season 11 of the Xfiles, somehow I missed it coming out. Most of these are really bad. For some reason they keep having Mulder be like an action hero?

Fighting guys with his hands handcuffed (and yes, at least they threw in a sex joke but...)

Forehead sweat was good though.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022
The one mystery Skinner got to the bottom of...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2zuxnEDyjM

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

pseudanonymous posted:

Wow I never watched Season 11 of the Xfiles, somehow I missed it coming out. Most of these are really bad. For some reason they keep having Mulder be like an action hero?

Fighting guys with his hands handcuffed (and yes, at least they threw in a sex joke but...)

Forehead sweat was good though.

Mulder is a superman

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I like to nurse the theory that Smoking Man isn't so easily killed because he's a supersoldier.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember hot British Scully? From Scotland Yard or some such?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Fall. I haven't watched it yet but I've been told she is 🔥 in it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All Scullys are Beautiful

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
She's good in everything, ASAB.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The Fall was good, at least the first season.

She also voiced her own parody character on the CGI animated show ReBoot, Data Nully.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
She did a voice over in some techno song, yes?

Also a voice over in a Microsoft Game and I think came with the Sidewinder joystick.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I had totally forgotten but there was a podcast called Kumail Nanjiani’s The X-Files Files (he’s Dinesh in Silicon Valley, stand up guy, animal control officer in the S10 were-monster episode) which was pretty good. It was basically a rewatch podcast - an episode of the podcast per episode of the show, where they rewatch the episode and talk about it with a guest who usually has some connections to the show and/or episode.

He was into season 4 of the rewatch and stopped, which was also around the time he did his appearance on season 10 and I’ve only just gone looking for a reason, which was “don’t turn something you love into work.”

In the back of my head I had the idea he’d gone paid subscription or platform exclusive like a bunch of podcasts did, and because I used to listen to a lot of podcasts to get me through the work day, I never bothered to look.

Anyway, it still exists on the various platforms and there’s a bunch of interesting guests talking X-Files.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Watched FPS with my friend group today to explain why we won't be going past the end of season 6.

We're convinced as a group that the episode was an executive mandate and the writers intended it as a joke/satire- yet look who wrote and directed it. This wasn't ironic at all.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

DRINK ME posted:

I had totally forgotten but there was a podcast called Kumail Nanjiani’s The X-Files Files (he’s Dinesh in Silicon Valley, stand up guy, animal control officer in the S10 were-monster episode) which was pretty good. It was basically a rewatch podcast - an episode of the podcast per episode of the show, where they rewatch the episode and talk about it with a guest who usually has some connections to the show and/or episode.

He was into season 4 of the rewatch and stopped, which was also around the time he did his appearance on season 10 and I’ve only just gone looking for a reason, which was “don’t turn something you love into work.”

In the back of my head I had the idea he’d gone paid subscription or platform exclusive like a bunch of podcasts did, and because I used to listen to a lot of podcasts to get me through the work day, I never bothered to look.

Anyway, it still exists on the various platforms and there’s a bunch of interesting guests talking X-Files.

Oh nice that does sound good. I’d imagine he may have got too busy? He’s in a ton of stuff & was the only good part of the Eternals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Edit 2: Actually I really like X. His short story arc is my favorite. Dude wants to help but doesn't want to put his life on the line, then ultimately saves Mulder.

Steven Williams is fantastic and they killed him off too soon.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

redshirt posted:

Can someone successfully and succinctily summarize the "Mythology" storyline?
The black goo, the aliens, the bees, the abductions, etc.

I can't do it successfully, but IIRC the whole plot was a long term project by a group of humans working with aliens to create an alien-human hybrid. The aliens were the dominant partner in this relationship.

Am I close?

The overall plot of the X-Files makes no sense whatsoever, especially when you get into the characters' behaviour, but there are some basic aspects of the setting that are pretty consistent across episodes.

Note: the following is from seasons 1-5 and the movie, because I don't really give a poo poo after that.

One of the more fundamental jokes in The X-Files is that "Greys" don't actually exist. They're totally horseshit, but the US government promotes belief in them when they want to cover things up and make Mulder look like a crackpot. Greys consequently only appear in dream sequences, hallucinations, and fictions.*

So what is the US covering up? Usually pretty basic stuff like mind-control technology, warp-engine fighter jets, new bioweapons, etc. That poo poo all gets blamed on the Greys.

Actual aliens do exist in the setting, but they take the form of germs, bugs, fungus, and those sorts of things. These non-anthropomorphic aliens apparently fall to Earth in meteorites all the drat time, and have a tendency to infect people, so governments have been conducting covert experimentation to produce vaccines and/or immune genetic hybrids. (Greys provide a convenient cover story here too, since common symptoms of alien infection are discolored skin and a swollen cranium.)

The main type of alien-human hybrid are the green-blooded clones who appear across show. These guys are organic, but act exactly like the robot drones from the movie Terminator. Each type is manufactured for a specific function, like ants, and they're continually working in the background as slaves for the real baddies. Those real baddies are, naturally, a bunch of rich old white dudes. But those white dudes are, themselves, servants of the real real baddie: a formless mass of black goo.

Unlike most aliens in the show, the black goo is intelligent - apparently made up of nanomachines or something. It's billions of years old and, having developed saucer-like ships capable of space travel, likely created all life on Earth. The goo hosed off back into space shortly afterwards, but is now preparing to return one day so it can forcibly transform humanity into a race of xenomorphs from the movie Alien.**

So, what's up with the bees and the abductions? The goo isn't as powerful as you might expect, since it needs to spend decades breeding genetically-engineered bees to serve as a delivery mechanism (like the 'facehuggers' from the movie Alien). That's primarily what the secret clone army has been working on. These clones are partly created from the genetic material of abductees - people who the government has had kidnapped for whatever arbitrary reasons. Scully, for example, was abducted to mess with Mulder, while Duane Barry was abducted so that he could be brainwashed into a kind of "manchurian candidate" sleeper agent. The DNA collection seems kinda secondary in importance, but they use it anyways.

That's about it, I think. As you can see, it's pretty coherent in the abstract, but nothing about how Mulder and Scully are actually fighting this evil plot makes any sense.

*A Grey finally does appear for real in the very first episode of season 6, immediately following the movie, but I stopped caring at that point.
**As noted above, season 6 immediately retcons the film and says the black goo xenomorphs were actually just baby Greys all along, which is boring.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
One thing that bugged me is that whenever someone dies Carter kept saying no one really stays dead in the X-Files. Which....other than one, maybe two cases is complete horseshit.

I also grimace at the later episodes where it comes across as really antivax.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The overall plot of the X-Files makes no sense whatsoever, especially when you get into the characters' behaviour, but there are some basic aspects of the setting that are pretty consistent across episodes.

Note: the following is from seasons 1-5 and the movie, because I don't really give a poo poo after that.

One of the more fundamental jokes in The X-Files is that "Greys" don't actually exist. They're totally horseshit, but the US government promotes belief in them when they want to cover things up and make Mulder look like a crackpot. Greys consequently only appear in dream sequences, hallucinations, and fictions.*

So what is the US covering up? Usually pretty basic stuff like mind-control technology, warp-engine fighter jets, new bioweapons, etc. That poo poo all gets blamed on the Greys.

Actual aliens do exist in the setting, but they take the form of germs, bugs, fungus, and those sorts of things. These non-anthropomorphic aliens apparently fall to Earth in meteorites all the drat time, and have a tendency to infect people, so governments have been conducting covert experimentation to produce vaccines and/or immune genetic hybrids. (Greys provide a convenient cover story here too, since common symptoms of alien infection are discolored skin and a swollen cranium.)

The main type of alien-human hybrid are the green-blooded clones who appear across show. These guys are organic, but act exactly like the robot drones from the movie Terminator. Each type is manufactured for a specific function, like ants, and they're continually working in the background as slaves for the real baddies. Those real baddies are, naturally, a bunch of rich old white dudes. But those white dudes are, themselves, servants of the real real baddie: a formless mass of black goo.

Unlike most aliens in the show, the black goo is intelligent - apparently made up of nanomachines or something. It's billions of years old and, having developed saucer-like ships capable of space travel, likely created all life on Earth. The goo hosed off back into space shortly afterwards, but is now preparing to return one day so it can forcibly transform humanity into a race of xenomorphs from the movie Alien.**

So, what's up with the bees and the abductions? The goo isn't as powerful as you might expect, since it needs to spend decades breeding genetically-engineered bees to serve as a delivery mechanism (like the 'facehuggers' from the movie Alien). That's primarily what the secret clone army has been working on. These clones are partly created from the genetic material of abductees - people who the government has had kidnapped for whatever arbitrary reasons. Scully, for example, was abducted to mess with Mulder, while Duane Barry was abducted so that he could be brainwashed into a kind of "manchurian candidate" sleeper agent. The DNA collection seems kinda secondary in importance, but they use it anyways.

That's about it, I think. As you can see, it's pretty coherent in the abstract, but nothing about how Mulder and Scully are actually fighting this evil plot makes any sense.

*A Grey finally does appear for real in the very first episode of season 6, immediately following the movie, but I stopped caring at that point.
**As noted above, season 6 immediately retcons the film and says the black goo xenomorphs were actually just baby Greys all along, which is boring.

Good summary, loses points on succinctness. What do you think of earlier theories that there were rival aliens, working at cross purposes?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

There are rebel aliens of the same species as the bounty hunter guys who sealed their face openings so they couldn't be infected. They were fighting the alien colonists, but since the alien colonists were working with the human syndicate most of their targets were humans or human/alien hybrids so they weren't exactly friends to humanity.

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

There are rebel aliens of the same species as the bounty hunter guys who sealed their face openings so they couldn't be infected. They were fighting the alien colonists, but since the alien colonists were working with the human syndicate most of their targets were humans or human/alien hybrids so they weren't exactly friends to humanity.

You know what never made sense to me? Scully and Mulder discover people and beings with fantastic abilities like controlling electricity, psychic projection, a legitimate genie, and none of them get weaponized for use against the world-ending alien threat.

I wasn't saying the other aliens were human friendly, rather, just that there were multiple aliens with multiple agendas, as well as for their human agents.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Walter Bishop was in a mental facility at the time, alas.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Wasn't there an episode where people come from a future not controlled by aliens? Doesn't that imply that alien domination is not inevitable?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I guess because all of the bigwigs in the government have just resigned themselves to the deal and thought that something like this might raise too much suspicion.

But it would have been cool if they had gotten the guy from Pusher to try and stop an alien. Could his powers even work on an alien brain?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Spazzle posted:

Wasn't there an episode where people come from a future not controlled by aliens? Doesn't that imply that alien domination is not inevitable?

if its past like, season 6, there's a poo poo ton of weird stuff that happens that either get reconned in later seasons or just gets completely forgotten about and never mentioned again

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

A lot of those folks just end up dead, and I definitely remember it being a thing in multiple episodes where the government captures some of the ones who survive for study.

And the genie is obviously too dangerous to even try anything with, also Mulder frees her anyway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Isn't X the guy who captures and experiments on Monk

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Garrand posted:

A lot of those folks just end up dead, and I definitely remember it being a thing in multiple episodes where the government captures some of the ones who survive for study.

Almost every episode ending in a total loss, or pyrrhic victory at best, is a defining trait of The X-Files, yeah.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
This thread has spurred me to watch the series. Never saw much of it during the original run since I was young and scared.

Wish me luck.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

gently caress you're lucky

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Spazzle posted:

Yeah, there's a time-travel episode, but it's pretty isolated and the implications (that an alien apocalypse is like 60 years away, if it all) aren't explored.

A Fancy Hat posted:

I guess because all of the bigwigs in the government have just resigned themselves to the deal and thought that something like this might raise too much suspicion.

But it would have been cool if they had gotten the guy from Pusher to try and stop an alien. Could his powers even work on an alien brain?

It works for me that there was never like, an X-Files X-Men, because most of the mutants and people with abilities they meet are loving psychos who live off of human livers or whatever. And yeah, they'd have a vested interest in the world not ending, presumably, but they're hardly reliable (in the cases where they survive and are captured and not outright killed or disappear mysteriously).

It is interesting we didn't see much of people who are "monsters" trying to get on day to day - there was one later episode, maybe season 7, where there was a dude who was a gross mutant, but also was just some nervy dude who was doing his best as a fast-food manager.

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
The Jersey Devil drawing is legit top 5 TV moment for me. I physically gasped.

I spoke WAY to soon :aaa:

Weebly fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 7, 2024

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Houle posted:

One thing that bugged me is that whenever someone dies Carter kept saying no one really stays dead in the X-Files. Which....other than one, maybe two cases is complete horseshit.

I also grimace at the later episodes where it comes across as really antivax.

Kind of a hindsight thing. This was before Wakefield, and it's implied the vaccines did work- just that the program was cover for genetic sampling too.
The whole Syndicate's plan is to Create a vaccination for the alien parasite/black goo secretly after making a deal with them to release a virus to cripple the world in 2012 for their invasion [and create hybrid slaves]. They're playing both sides, ostensibly, trying to make themselves and choice others survive. The stretch-goal was finding a way to genocide the aliens. The implication being the secrecy wasn't so much about us finding out- it was them. If they find out X-Files becomes X-Com very quickly. Unfortunately when a splinter faction of aliens tried to overthrow the overall government, the syndicate chose to be loyalist and hedge their bets- and all died. It's implied the rebellion failed either way.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
tfw you see any other title other than The Truth Is Out There at the end of the opening.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bonzo posted:

tfw you see any other title other than The Truth Is Out There at the end of the opening.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EVERYTHING DIES

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Bonzo posted:

She did a voice over in some techno song, yes?

Also a voice over in a Microsoft Game and I think came with the Sidewinder joystick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGqQ4EteFyc

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
She wore a dress with vaginas all over it for the Golden Gloves last weekend.

LEGEND

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

did bad blood tonight

loving wild episode love it, probably the series peak

I've decided to call it a close after we finish S6

Season 5 is kind of a rollercoaster for quality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm into season 9, only made it as far as the movie when it aired. Was nuts about the show for 3 seasons and just lost interest in season 5 with Scully's secret hybrid daughter. The Reyes/Doggett pairing, super soldiers and Koran/Bible UFO stuff is very underwhelming. I'm about to watch 'William'