Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Wow DS2 sucks even worse than I remember.

Welp. Happy new year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

DS2 is great if you like looking poo poo up on wikis because it has 30 special doors that take special keys but there's only like 15 of the special keys

According to the wiki there are 15 doors, and you can easily get more keys by joining the rat king covenant and killing people in your malevolent murder maze, easily one of the best multiplayer covenant in any soul games

People who didn't join the rat king covenant or the bell keepers really missed out, I feel bad for them

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I got into the DS games pretty late so I missed out on most of the multiplayer except for a bit of 3's. I was hoping to get in on the ground floor with Elden Ring. I did have some fun with its multiplayer but found it to have pretty weak offerings compared with the other Souls games.

I imagine the DLC will add some covenant stuff but I'm just too tired of exploring that world.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

There was nothing quite like the multiplayer experience in 2, they did a great job designing the new covenants and creating arenas that people would actually want to play in, easily the best in the series with how much weapon and playstyle variety was valid. The PvP in DS3 was good in a different way because it was fun having the purple spine-eater players in the mix, who were as likely to help you as they were to attack you, but with no poise mechanic only 1-2 playstyles quickly rose to the top of what was considered "good" so it got boring pretty quick.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol I picked up my blind ds3 playthrough after a break and realized I hadn't upgraded my estus flask once. In smouldering lake, at l34.

gently caress me I'm a moron and not good enough to drag myself through this game on hard mode, it's fun again!

Also, gently caress that ballista.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

QuarkJets posted:

According to the wiki there are 15 doors, and you can easily get more keys by joining the rat king covenant and killing people in your malevolent murder maze, easily one of the best multiplayer covenant in any soul games

People who didn't join the rat king covenant or the bell keepers really missed out, I feel bad for them

Its a new year, so I feel like my counter has been reset:

I really CANNOT stress enough how good the Rat King Covenant in Dark Souls 2 is. Try as I might. And I do, I do try to stress it enough. But I seemingly can't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PVP in Dark Souls games is bad. The player characters have huge amounts of iframes and the netcode is never good so it always feels janky as hell.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

PVP in Dark Souls games is bad. The player characters have huge amounts of iframes and the netcode is never good so it always feels janky as hell.

I've got a level 15 Darkwraith in DS1 that I use to gently caress around in the undead parish and I basically just get chain backstabbed over and over until I meet a genuine noob, who I beat the dogshit out of, and then rinse repeat. It shouldn't be fun but it kinda is? At least for short periods.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

It's fun to gently caress around but doesn't make for a very good competitive game once people have figured everything out. That's not a knock against it, for loving around it's really fun. All the more reason you have to get into the game early before only serious players are left that actually understand the mechanics and level layouts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im glad I got my 65 hours out of Elden Ring and then never touched it again so Im ready to play the DLC*

*and play the Co-Op mod people bitch about for ruining the game for invaders.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

From should just make that mode official and add invaders. I want to do the coop but only if I get invaded, it was the best part of cooping DS3.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

syntaxfunction posted:

Seb you don't even play video games.

I play every game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hope the elden ring dlc has lots of loving

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

sebmojo posted:

I play every game

i doubt you've even played max's big bust - a captain nekorai tale

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The base game has just the right amount of loving imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fur20 posted:

i doubt you've even played max's big bust - a captain nekorai tale

Goddam it

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
yo how do i beat these skeletons in dark souls 1

i found a mace and i can whittle them down after forever but they loving suck

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Vampire Panties posted:

Have you tried loving them?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vampire Panties posted:

Did you just start the game? The catacombs are a mid game area, go up instead

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Vandar posted:

I'm sure Balder's Gate 3 is a perfectly fine game, maybe even good, but seeing all the praise for it and seeing so many people actually playing it after all the Wizards of the Coast controversies over the past couple years really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

don't worry, probably maybe 5% of people know anything about whatever boring stuff that is

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Vampire Panties posted:

At the very start of the game, near the firelink shrine? They're intentionally too 'high level' for rookie characters - run past them to loot the graveyard on suicide runs, come back later.

Oh wait wrong thread. Run past them asap to get to the super cool area behind them!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

Hit the bricks man, if they're hard to kill then go somewhere else

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There's a dude who's resurrecting them. If you find, and gently caress, him he will stop

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vampire Panties posted:

this is the most quintessential dark souls experience there is

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Moon Monster posted:

Is this game good if you find the idea of a Marvel B-list dating sim utterly unappealing? The gameplay looks cool, but I don't know if it's worth gritting my teeth through that poo poo.

There was initially this weird bug with the PC version where if you attacked a freshly dead ragdolling enemy it would take out like a 3rd of your weapon's durability, with the amount dependent on your framerate. Once they fixed that it was a pointless non-mechanic, like most durability mechanics.

There was a ring ingame (the Third Dragon Ring) whose gimmick was that it gave a lot of good stats (health, stamina, equip load) but had really low durability.
In pvp it was pretty fun to use durability-reducing spells/weapons on people to snipe that ring and watch them suddenly start fatrolling since they were relying on its equip load bonus for their build.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

this is the most quintessential dark souls experience there is

Not quite, they patched it long ago so they give some experience instead of giving you nothing for going the goddamn wrong way.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

The experience is the lesson you learned.

If it's too hard, try somewhere else. If that's too hard, blame yourself, or God.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Which wiki are you looking at? This page says there are 17 if you don't count the ones in the Doors of Pharros, which has at least 10 more, bringing the total to 27+.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jan 1, 2024

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Caesar Saladin posted:

don't worry, probably maybe 5% of people know anything about whatever boring stuff that is

This seems way too generous of a number. I tend to hear about a lot of things and I have no idea what the wotc thing is about

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

big black turnout posted:

This seems way too generous of a number. I tend to hear about a lot of things and I have no idea what the wotc thing is about

Something about Magic card art and the Pinkertons being involved or something?

Ultimately, I remember hearing about it and bring annoyed, but it didn't stop me playing D&D, because after the point of purchase, no one is making bank off my friends throwing plastic around, pretending to be elves and adding up numbers. Our DM is super into fan creature compendiums and stuff anyway.

I'd honestly forgot about it by the time BG3 launched (not that that makes it okay).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

They actually released a Magic set for Baldur's Gate to coincide with BG3 and featured characters from it etc but then BG3 got pushed back so the set released with no context, didn't do amazing compared to what they wanted. Then way later BG3 came out and a bunch of cards shot up in price (like the barbarian lady loving of course she did).

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Van My Man posted:

The problem with Elden Ring DLC is that there was already so much base Elden Ring that everyone I know was burnt out by the time they crossed the finish line. The Haligtree already felt like DLC.

yeah but it's been

holy poo poo it's been less than a year? feels like longer

anyway point is, it's been a while and i'm ready for more

edit:

i just realised 2022 was now two years ago. so it has been longer.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2024

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

you are embarking upon a great adventure

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I'm finding DS2 to be a struggle. The combat just doesn't feel right. Enemies seem to be able to adjust their direction and their targeting even after they've already committed to an attack, so I roll to avoid a hit and they adjust and nail me anyway. I'm also feeling like I'm getting caught mid-roll a lot.

It's probably just my timing is off or I'm mis-judging when my iframes are active but it's kind of a bitch. I want to strangle the Pursuer with the intestines of his loved ones.

I will persevere.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

a bunch of goons posted:

the skeletons are bullshit, its one of those games

:monocle:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I'm finding DS2 to be a struggle. The combat just doesn't feel right. Enemies seem to be able to adjust their direction and their targeting even after they've already committed to an attack, so I roll to avoid a hit and they adjust and nail me anyway. I'm also feeling like I'm getting caught mid-roll a lot.

It's probably just my timing is off or I'm mis-judging when my iframes are active but it's kind of a bitch. I want to strangle the Pursuer with the intestines of his loved ones.

I will persevere.

Put points in Adaptability OP

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

BG3 can have a bear loving a dragon person, so they need to one up that if they want to retake the fantasy game throne... maybe a skeleton loving a giant? The wheel can be involved.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Two skeletons loving and when you walk in the room they say "What? We're just boning"

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

There should be constant boner jokes, but delivered by depressed Europeans not doing Skeletor impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I will persevere.

You're not crazy, DS2 enemies hit wherever you are at the end of their attack, which means they'll comically rotate like on a turntable to hit you. You just need to adjust to this and dodge right before the hit lands. Yeah it sucks.

Adaptability will add some iframes to your roll without changing the animation, so go for ~20.