Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Not that this will surprise anyone at this point, but some friends said they were struggling to find breaking reports about Japan's earthquake / tsunami because people are reposting mislabeled clips of the 2011 tsunami.

Our friend on a trip there is fine but honestly, gently caress that site so hard, even outside the context of the scourge of Nazis being sucked off by the site owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In that case I think that's more of a case of don't use social media for news coverage

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

steinrokkan posted:

don't use social media

:hai:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
The thing about Dune as a cultural phenomenon is it never had a definitive adaption (at least until the most recent film). You had to read the book and grapple with all of it's ideas. Then, Paul was like a pomo-hero that understood he was fake but yet living out a myth. Herbert did a great job of immediately deconstructing him and the monomyth by the second book. So, even the books themselves don't glorify themselves the way something like LOTR or Star Wars does. Lastly, it's space opera but mostly takes place on a desert. It's epic but still grounded in a way that a lot of sci-fi epics aren't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I tried reading dune but man is that book boring and written so pretentiously

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

I tried reading dune but man is that book boring and written so pretentiously

:amen: prolly worst book ever written if u ask me. worms don't even get that big

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

temple posted:

The thing about Dune as a cultural phenomenon is it never had a definitive adaption (at least until the most recent film). You had to read the book and grapple with all of it's ideas. Then, Paul was like a pomo-hero that understood he was fake but yet living out a myth. Herbert did a great job of immediately deconstructing him and the monomyth by the second book. So, even the books themselves don't glorify themselves the way something like LOTR or Star Wars does. Lastly, it's space opera but mostly takes place on a desert. It's epic but still grounded in a way that a lot of sci-fi epics aren't.

Dune is about Frank Herbert taking the question of what would happen when a chosen one ordained by prophecy decides to answer the call to action, and responding that it would naturally lead to a universal jihad and the deaths of billions.

Thoroughly agree that you should read it up to the end of god emperor of Dune, which is frankly the thematic and storyline closure of the whole thing, and avoid the two books that came after that which were both written when Frank was very very horny indeed.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Biplane posted:

:amen: prolly worst book ever written if u ask me. worms don't even get that big

Worms Armageddon was big back in the day but they've never quite captured the magic again since then

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Teratrain posted:

Worms Armageddon was big back in the day but they've never quite captured the magic again since then

You know I never really understood why that was. They just never managed to get it back

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Songbearer posted:

You know I never really understood why that was. They just never managed to get it back

Ninja rope physics.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think gaming just progressed past the dead end that is the formula creating a serviceable worms clone has kinda been done to death and the genre can only get esoteric with ninja rope challenges and poo poo

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Teratrain posted:

Frank Herbert has a lot to learn about writing books.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Jestery posted:

I think gaming just progressed past the dead end that is the formula creating a serviceable worms clone has kinda been done to death and the genre can only get esoteric with ninja rope challenges and poo poo

Or real time like liero.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Jestery posted:

5 times and still no idea. 6 times hasn't done it. I'm going to bed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Biplane posted:

The worms grounded the book more than lovely sand ever did

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

The worms grounded the book more than lovely sand ever did

yeah!! sand sucks, its coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Y'all are gonna summon joementum if you keep talking about dune and I don't think he's left the trump thread in like a year or two. Who knows what will happen

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the good parts of dune are the court intrigue while the bad parts are the proto-dragonball fight scenes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Sir Tonk posted:

I don't think he's left the trump thread in like a year or two.

What the fu

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Why are all of these people tweeting on New Years Eve when they should be spending time with their friends and loved ones? 🤔🤔🤔🧐🧐🧐

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TasogareNoKagi posted:

IIRC the tweet it was attached to amounted to "Sorry for your loss, BTW we didn't do it" :smugdon:

So much rage that day. Apparently Reagan did something similar in the 80s? Had a press conference in front of a SDI satellite mockup (Zenith Star?) and dropped all kinds of compartmented names and program details that had people working on the project apoplectic.

That worked out great though. All that star wars bullshit was either impossible or would have cost $US_GDP to do. It was never gonna happen. You would need as many satellites as Starlink, but bigass ones that needed a whole rocket to lift one or two instead of dozens per launch.

But Regan blabbing about it convinced the soviets it was real and helped make START happen.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

NERV

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ProperCauldron posted:

grimes doesn't even sound that stupid tbh. it's similar to how all artsy narcissistic rich kids react to their inherited wealth, power, and freedom

there's a very special privilege behind somebody that describes making toast or spaghetti as some epic, herculean struggle

You can just say you like her music, dude. It's okay.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

No, that will be Donald Trump

Whoever wins we lose!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Episode 1 of the new season and the writers are already pulling in deep references, nice

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Grimes kicking off 2024 by going full Nazi

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sure is something to declare yourself proud of white culture, an identity that only exists for excluding people they think are lesser. Call yourself proud to be Canadian or French or Scottish or whatever but whiteness as a concept is shorthand for "not a member of a minority race".

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 1, 2024

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Kale posted:

So Elon has to submit that content moderation policy report to the state of California today apparently that he fought super hard but failed to get an injunction on having to do. This ought to be some quality revealing stuff when it almost certainly turns out that they don't even have a content moderation policy.

One weird trick to get out of it

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billTextClient.xhtml?bill_id=202120220AB587

quote:

22680. This chapter shall not apply to a social media company that generated less than one hundred million dollars ($100,000,000) in gross revenue during the preceding calendar year.

:smugdog: checkmate Californailures

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I'm sure he's there between Tim Pool, The Quartering, The Daily Wire and Alex Jones, right?

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

ProperCauldron posted:

grimes doesn't even sound that stupid tbh. it's similar to how all artsy narcissistic rich kids react to their inherited wealth, power, and freedom

there's a very special privilege behind somebody that describes making toast or spaghetti as some epic, herculean struggle

I’m willing to meet you in the middle and agree that grimes is not uniquely stupid but she is really stupid though.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mudlark posted:

well you see everyone from persia is brown because she's racist
The belief that Persians are Arabs is nowhere as disturbing as the common belief among Americans that Iran is a flat desert. From the country who invented Google Map but never uses it, i guess.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
lol if you read Dune instead of Gor (aka Good Dune)

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Bip Roberts posted:

lol if you read

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I ain’t got time to read!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Hope you’re all ready to blaze your glory in 2024. Me I’m gonna buy a cybertvck so I can blaze it in a literal sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I ain’t got time to read!

:golfclap: