Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Lord Bude posted:

Just curious, why did PoE2 flop when the first game was such a success? I never got around to playing it but I seem to remember all the press being very favourable and getting the impression people thought it was better than the first game.

What’s his name from obsidian said he’d only be interested in doing a PoE 3 if he was given BG3 money to play with. But now that Microsoft owns them (iirc) I’m not holding my breath to see many great things from them again.

And the bethesdas and biowares of the world have become so bland and generic. Starfield comes off so badly in comparison to BG3.

The Pillars thread gets into that theoretical post-mortem often and it's not unusual for it to devolve into bitterposting over the different fates of Larian and Obsidian. D:OS1 and PoE1 were contemporary releases and had a similar reception. D:OS2 enabled Larian to do BG3 while PoE2 killed the franchise.

Speaking for myself, I got PoE1 on release and liked it in a muted way. When PoE2 was released I genuinely didn't feel like more of the series, PoE has one of the most interesting fantasy settings in computer games, but I didn't find it very fun to play. I skipped the sequel until goon word of mouth insisted that it was way better than PoE1, which was true. I have a feeling there were many such cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

ZearothK posted:

The Pillars thread gets into that theoretical post-mortem often and it's not unusual for it to devolve into bitterposting over the different fates of Larian and Obsidian. D:OS1 and PoE1 were contemporary releases and had a similar reception. D:OS2 enabled Larian to do BG3 while PoE2 killed the franchise.

Speaking for myself, I got PoE1 on release and liked it in a muted way. When PoE2 was released I genuinely didn't feel like more of the series, PoE has one of the most interesting fantasy settings in computer games, but I didn't find it very fun to play. I skipped the sequel until goon word of mouth insisted that it was way better than PoE1, which was true. I have a feeling there were many such cases.

Interesting. I was one of the backers of PoE 1, but I never actually finished it. I actually didn’t really like the setting or storyline that much, I found it kinda bland; and something about the mechanics kinda threw me off a bit compared to other CRPGs. I think ‘liked it in a kinda muted way’ actually fits the bill quite well, I played about 50 hours but then got bored. I think also having by that stage been spoiled by things like DA:O (I loved that game and the setting, but the sequels both sucked for different reasons), I really missed having fully voice acted, cutscene conversations with my party members, and exploring a world in a 3d engine. BG1 & 2 and Icewind dale 2 have the nostalgia value to draw me back in but absent that nostalgia I think I struggle to go back to that old school style.

(although it doesn’t bother me for something like Battle Brothers, which I adore, although thats a totally different type of RPG that scratches a very different itch)

I never really got into D:OS 1 either, I played a few hours but it just never grabbed me.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Huh the exact same thing just happened to me with the same dagger, no other thrown weapons in there, might be a weird interaction with that and her room?

I've thrown the Sussur dagger twice, once in Grymforge and once in Shadowfell, and both times it has disappeared, might be a bug with that specific item getting thrown? The first time I reloaded, the second time I just said gently caress it and accepted it was gone because that was 2/2 of the times I tried using it.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

IMO Pillars failed and Original Sin succeeded because real time with pause sucks rear end, and it always has. I keep trying to go back to bg1 and I just can’t do it, it’s just the most incredibly tedious system in the world.

I know Poe2 has a turn based mode as well but it obviously isn’t the same as having a game built from the ground up around turn based combat and it shows.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Lord Bude posted:

Just curious, why did PoE2 flop when the first game was such a success? I never got around to playing it but I seem to remember all the press being very favourable and getting the impression people thought it was better than the first game.

POE1 disappointed a lot of people and the sequel got like zero promotion from its publisher. I was one of those who found the first game to be so mind-numbingly boring that I haven't played Deadfire at all despite the praise, and I suspect I'm far from the only one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Lord Bude posted:

What’s his name from obsidian said he’d only be interested in doing a PoE 3 if he was given BG3 money to play with. But now that Microsoft owns them (iirc) I’m not holding my breath to see many great things from them again.

And the bethesdas and biowares of the world have become so bland and generic. Starfield comes off so badly in comparison to BG3.

PoE had a successful kickstarter and sold well, but the actual game was pretty alienating and dull. PoE2 improved on almost everything but only diehards were still paying attention to the franchise.

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
Deadfire is better than PoE1, but I couldn't find any motivation to finish that one either. The game kept daring me to give a gently caress by interrupting the story with boring cutscenes in which my character stands there saying and doing nothing while the gods bicker among themselves.

Looked pretty though, and the shark people were cool.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Having a blast playing through this. It took a few attempts to really get it's hooks sunk into me, but now I'm playing multiple hours at a time and I can't seem to put the game down. There are some annoying aspects of the game though, like my Attack of Opportunity never seems to bloody work. I'll post my people right next to enemies and the enemies will just waltz away without any AoO triggering and the enemies don't use disengage. The only person who gets AoO off consistently is Zarlach.

How's the replayability on this game? I'd like to do another run with a different build. Everything remains the same though, right? Same world, same choices, same encounters?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ZearothK posted:

I kinda feel Larian has a very unique position in the industry right now, I definitely can't think of another western studio with the same level of independence and commercial success. I guess FromSoft, Kojima Productions and Nintendo's game-making division are their closest peers?

Kojima productions is the closest, but still need outside publishers.

Nintendo has shareholders and fromsoft is under kawokowa.

The only other truly big game company that's still indepentally owned is Mihoyo at this point.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I do hope BG3's success will lead to an increased interest in western RPGs in general and for the suits to clear their studios to tackle the genre more seriously, but I really can't think of anyone other than Larian that could make something with the scale and production standards of BG3. Owlcat could get there in some titles if their games keep selling, dunno if Obsidian is interested/equipped in returning to the genre after Tyranny and PoE2 flopped and BioWare, well, lol lmao. Also RIP Harebrained Schemes.

Obsidian getting back to making isometric CRPGs would be awesome. Did Deadfire really flop? I feel like it's one of those slow burners with a long shelf life, that's probably selling at a decent rate on Steam even to this day. I remember really liking it, and I normally don't care for nautical/pirate themes and aesthetics at all.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Qubee posted:

How's the replayability on this game? I'd like to do another run with a different build. Everything remains the same though, right? Same world, same choices, same encounters?

The world state can be quite different depending on the choices you make and the various aspects of your main character. Choosing a Dark Urge origin alone will fundamentally switch up a lot of things, especially in the third act. While you'll never change the underlying structure of the game, the overall mood can vary a lot with each playthrough, and every companion character has at least 5-6 distinct ending variations based on how much you swayed them over the course of the game. Whether or not you'd ever willingly make the decisions required to see those various permutations is another story, though. But even if you make 99% of the same exact choices from one run to the next, you will still find novel scenes and hidden areas you didn't see in the hundreds of hours prior. I've been through the entire campaign 3 full times now, and have seen at least a few things I've never seen before on each.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Act 3 Boss HM Ansur taken down by level 10s. Due to Karlach missing a throw and getting low damage on her other 3 the killing blow was taken by SH and I thought I was done for when he popped right back up and started gathering power. Is that HM only or did I just forget about it? SH was last in my lineup so I couldnt do any extra healing or positioning and I thought it was going to wipe me for sure but nearly everyone survived and Ansur died next turn. PC is Anstarion as a Sorcadin so maybe will do Cazador next. Or maybe House of Hope.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

House of Hope could be challenging at level 10 if your Sorcadin is your main damage dealer. This was my dilemma, but thankfully, smokepowder barrels and fireworks are very plentiful in Act 3, and the boss is courteous enough to let you spend as much time as you want setting everything up in the room!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Qubee posted:

There are some annoying aspects of the game though, like my Attack of Opportunity never seems to bloody work. I'll post my people right next to enemies and the enemies will just waltz away without any AoO triggering and the enemies don't use disengage. The only person who gets AoO off consistently is Zarlach.

AoOs are annoyingly inconsistent at the best of times, but I've noticed that it helps to pay attention to which weapon a character is holding. If you make a ranged attack and then end the turn, they won't make opportunity attacks because they're holding a bow or crossbow. However, if you make ranged attacks, then select Pommel Strike or something so they're holding a melee weapon, then use your bonus action for something else (other than an offhand hand-crossbow shot I guess), they'll (probably) make AoOs as they should.

Each character also only gets one reaction per turn. If you use Hellish Rebuke or gloves of arrow snaring, you don't get to smack anyone with a melee opportunity attack that turn.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
so uh other than the solution i found online of killing myself and resurrecting is there any other way to fix a dislocated shoulder?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Jose posted:

so uh other than the solution i found online of killing myself and resurrecting is there any other way to fix a dislocated shoulder?

Long rest fixed it for me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Lord Bude posted:

You can remove stuff though; and move stuff from
The secondary tabs to the main tab. So for eg as a caster; you can put the 3-4 spells you use all the time on that bar, then use the tabs to filter by spell level to cast something else on the rare occasion you need it.

I am aware of this. The hot bars could still be better.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Jose posted:

Go see a doctor, don't just blindly trust WebMD

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

space uncle posted:

Long rest fixed it for me.

hmm i only tried the long rest potion. maybe that was my mistake

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

last time i did this it turned out i'd smashed it to pieces as well as dislocating it. wouldn't recommend

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

htf you get a dislocated shoulder?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

in game or irl because idk in game it just appeared. might've been the goo thing in the wall in moonrise

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah right, so they can poke out my other eye too?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wish Raph would have some sort of reaction to me refusing his deal and then immediately walking back into his room so I can scoop up all the loose silverware and clothing.

Don't mind me buddy just grabbing a little vendor trash, still thinking about your offer! See you later!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jose posted:

in game or irl because idk in game it just appeared. might've been the goo thing in the wall in moonrise

Yeah if you get your arm stuck in there you can get a dislocated shoulder.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm kind of tempted to clear out the whole of moonrise towers before bothering with the actual battle. I've killed a ton fo people there already rescuing the tieflings. every time i close a door so that i can clear a room without causing a big scene someone gets upset so i murder them anyway

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

bird with big dick posted:

They loved the tentacle

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

the party movement mechanics are really bad, it's bizarre. i know jump length differs, but 9/10 times i jump at least one of my party members AI will not follow a jump when they can actually make it when i switch to control them. this has led to deaths at times. then there's fleeing from combat - why is it so awkward? i had a shadow glitch on me, it was invisible and wouldn't move, couldn't reappear, so i had to run all four characters away. which i did, and then fleed them to camp, but shadowheart fleed back to the shadowlands entrance for some reason? so then i had to return to camp from there with her.

why don't they just let you disengage from combat instead of all this hopping about? if you're more than x metres from an enemy, you disengage into normal mode and they can still chase you.

Jose posted:

I'm kind of tempted to clear out the whole of moonrise towers before bothering with the actual battle. I've killed a ton fo people there already rescuing the tieflings. every time i close a door so that i can clear a room without causing a big scene someone gets upset so i murder them anyway

i might try this. i don't want to have to deal with protecting a bunch of NPCs in a big battle so if the place is emptied out it'll probably be easier.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You should absolutely do that unless you want to be in 1 fight for 5 hours

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jose posted:

I’ve always just done this, long before going to the gauntlet. I have no interest in pretending to be a cultist so I go in, grab what I want from the shopkeepers, and then kill everyone before freeing the prisoners. The only one left alive when I’m done is the folks on the roof and that merchant lady with the blood fetish.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

roomtone posted:

the party movement mechanics are really bad, it's bizarre. i know jump length differs, but 9/10 times i jump at least one of my party members AI will not follow a jump when they can actually make it when i switch to control them. this has led to deaths at times. then there's fleeing from combat - why is it so awkward? i had a shadow glitch on me, it was invisible and wouldn't move, couldn't reappear, so i had to run all four characters away. which i did, and then fleed them to camp, but shadowheart fleed back to the shadowlands entrance for some reason? so then i had to return to camp from there with her.

why don't they just let you disengage from combat instead of all this hopping about? if you're more than x metres from an enemy, you disengage into normal mode and they can still chase you.

i might try this. i don't want to have to deal with protecting a bunch of NPCs in a big battle so if the place is emptied out it'll probably be easier.

The jump thing is so funny to me because 9/10 times the person who can't make it is Lae'zel or Karlach. loving Gale can figure it out, ladies; please use your maxed out strength and get over here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Black Noise posted:

You should absolutely do that unless you want to be in 1 fight for 5 hours

I am preparing for something like this the next time I got to Wyrm's Rock.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think a recent patch mostly fixed the companion jumping thing because I haven’t had it happen to me in a long while

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jay Rust posted:

I think a recent patch mostly fixed the companion jumping thing because I haven’t had it happen to me in a long while

It's happened to me a few times but yeah, the pathing does seem much improved.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I haven't played for months now, so I'm probably going to shove this game in my backup SSD until DLC and/or some really compelling mods come out. Speaking of, what's the modding scene like now? Anything notable, or mostly just cosmetic/texture/whatever changes?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I never went into Moonrise's basement (oops, sorry gnomes and tieflings) so I ended up fighting absolutely every single loving cultist at once in a colossal clusterfuck of a final battle. My two saving graces were that I had hoarded a lot of smokepowder bombs, and that I'd had the foresight to get Karlach high on every fantasy combat drug known to humanoids at the start of the fight (potion of speed + elixir of bloodlust gets real fuckin silly when you're throwing grenades around on a multiattacking class)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't played for months now, so I'm probably going to shove this game in my backup SSD until DLC and/or some really compelling mods come out. Speaking of, what's the modding scene like now? Anything notable, or mostly just cosmetic/texture/whatever changes?

i've been looking around cos i have problems with the gameplay in general, but basically no there's nothing much that looks interesting. just some stuff that rolls over the mechanics of the game. i've installed WASD movement (which i rarely use) and a level up mod which lowers the amount of XP per level cos i just want it to be easy mostly. the combat just rises up to the level of 'worth thinking about' and i don't lose this way. there's one to unlock multiple romances but it looked complicated to set up.

otherwise it's all cosmetic and UI stuff, the UI stuff doesn't even look that different to me.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Pollyanna posted:

Someone made #000000 shaded Shadowheart and is pulling the “What is racism? I’m new here” card on Nexus. 16 Downloads 47 comments 5,000 views.

But there are a lot of good QOL mods like Party Limit Begone, Honour Mode Unlocker, Camp Events so you know when camp events happen. There are a lot of subclasses, spell changes, spell modifier changes like duration and concentration. To contrast the post above there are also many difficulty mods as well.

I’m playing with Tactician Plus 100% (Edited to 120%) , Lethal AI, and the Honour Mode mod since I’m still in my first playthrough.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 1, 2024

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pollyanna posted:

I have one more single player run I'm almost done with and then I'm shelving except for multiplayer and waiting for more patches/dlc for more solo play.

Does anyone know if there's been any rumblings about what might be coming in a theoretical patch 6 at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

What's actually enabling this interaction from the way it's described is the Gloves of Belligerent Skies (inflict Reverb whenever you deal Thunder, Lightning, or Radiant damage) which are great (especially if you have something else riding on inflicting conditions, or if your party forces a lot of physical saving throws) but also not available until the Githyanki Crèche

This is from a few pages ago but I have not found these gloves yet and am still getting Reverb stacks from Magic Missile. At first I thought it might be Phalar Aluve applying the condition but I will even get Reverb stacks from targets outside shriek range. So either it's bugged to work with anything, or it counts Lightning stacks as a condition. I suspect it might be the latter because the Reverberation count always seems to line up with how many lightning charges my Wizard has.