Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain Invictus posted:

Can we still post silly lists like top ten music tracks and stuff that won't be part of the proper listing tallies

go for it. no one is stoppin you

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Can we still post silly lists like top ten music tracks and stuff that won't be part of the proper listing tallies

Of course! I am not closing the thread - but I am half asleep from just waking up to post so I am going back to bed.

Jay Rust posted:

Ok so what game won goty?

You will have to find out when the results are all sorted and arranged and whatnot :)

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Everyone who voted for Signalis this year is a hero

Everyone go play Signalis so it can go on your list next year

Thank you

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'll be perfectly honest it feels weird knowing I have friends who lurk and don't have accounts but who will absolutely track down a post I make in the goty 2023 thread to fact-check my work

(the friend who actually does post here doing this is fine though)

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Best Final Fantasy track that reminds me of Sailor Moon even though I never watched it: "Dedicated to Moonlight" [Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guDguPQvRCQ

Best Nine Inch Nails song I forgot about but was featured as the first boss track in a game I need to play more of: "1,000,000" [Hi-Fi Rush]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B9VlQFUdGU&t=136s

Best 10-minute long escape song from a game I think is dead, which makes me sad because the OST is a blast: Get Out (Phase 1) [Deceive Inc.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pgHFD_rrso

Best song for me to consider what game to play next to: "Doubt is What I Do" (Octopath Traveler II)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c4fY552hrc

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

broken pixel posted:

Best 10-minute long escape song from a game I think is dead, which makes me sad because the OST is a blast: Get Out (Phase 1) [Deceive Inc.]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pgHFD_rrso

me too, drat Deceive Inc. deserved better

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

Thank you to everyone who entered! I am no longer accepting new entries.

I didn't post a list yet. I'm being silenced by "the man"! :mad:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

times are a' changin...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Entering closed”

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Well done everyone

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Everyone who voted for Signalis this year is a hero

Everyone go play Signalis so it can go on your list next year

Thank you

I wish I was able to feel this way about Signalis but even as the target demo I don't get the love people have for it. Just found myself really bored with it after a while.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

veni veni veni posted:

I wish I was able to feel this way about Signalis but even as the target demo I don't get the love people have for it. Just found myself really bored with it after a while.

I fell off Signalis an hour and a half in or something. It was okay.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i loved loved loved signalis but it was definitely like 80% because of the vibes. i got more or less instantly hooked from, like, the menu screen when i saw how the game presented itself, and i got double-hooked after the first few story segments.

Shinji2015 posted:

lol this would be great if it happened. Top ten looks pretty plausible already

i'm astonished by how many lists it turned up in. whoever said that it's the slam dunk GOTY if not for the fact that it's a fighting game and therefore inherently a hard sell was 100% right.

unbelievable return to form after street fighter 5 sucked so bad. really threw down the gauntlet and showed all the other fighting games what buttery netcode looks like, and why making it so easy and smooth to get into ranked matches or go to the battlehub, or whatever, makes such a difference. you boot up the game and press three buttons and you're instantly matching up against people. if you have a really good ranked set with someone it's so easy to find them and friend list them, or to take the match to a casual room and fight them for another 30 matches. if you're on the battlehub you end up making friends with people by just playing them and then saying 'GGs' after your set in the chat. i love guilty gear strive but SF6 definitely kinda ruined its online modes for me by being so much better.

which is not to mention the elegance of its design, with the drive gauge serving as both your offensive meter (to let you drive rush to extend combos or dash across the screen and make your attacks faster, or to drive impact as a nuclear option counter which adds a significant layer to the neutral game, or to parry (with perfect timing being rewarded by a perfect parry, or to use better versions of your special moves, but uh oh, your drive gauge is also drained from blocking attacks and if you run out because you played too greedily and/or passively, you're now in burnout, which is absolutely loving awful because you don't have access to any of the above, and you take chip damage through your block, and you recover more slowly from blocking so your opponent can pour on the pressure, and if you get drive impacted into the wall you go into stun).

the fact that it added in all of these ways to on-board players like world tour and modern controls is just the cherry on top.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Jay Rust posted:

We all did.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CAR CRASH CRACKERS posted:

07. DARK SOULS 2: SCHOLAR OF THE FIRST SIN (2015) PS4

Sitting at number 7, that's what!
This is the first fromsoft I've played where I went,'You know what? I'm good' at an end game optional boss blue smelter demon
Is the soulsborne sheen wearing off(I've played Demon's Souls, Bloodborne, Darksouls, Elden Ring, and Sekiro all within the last ~2.5 years), or is this just the least of a series of very good games? I think the halberd move set feeling like poo poo compared to DS, DS, and ER soured me a little on it. No I will not use a different weapon.
Dunno, but I'll play Darksouls 3 in 2024 and find out.
Enjoyed the fairy tale vibe, something none of the other games have, and the wintery DLC is one of my favorite fromsoft areas of all time.
The way your character gets progressively grosser the more you die is really funny.

it's the most polarising one by far. some people (like me) think it's the best one for various Reasons. some other people think it's the worst one because of Other Reasons. discussion about whether or not it's a butt-sucking lovely rear end game, or a wonderfully eclectic and imaginative piece of game design that presaged elden ring, is as cyclical as the ages of fire and dark.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The real GOTYs are the friends we made along the way

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Holy poo poo that Idris Elba track from Cyberpunk is fantastic. I think I knew he was a musician but I didn't know he was that good. What a first song to hear this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AreV6l8e83g

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I was worried I might not make it in time to post my goty list, but then I remembered that it's November so I'm fine. Phew!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Runa posted:

I'll be perfectly honest it feels weird knowing I have friends who lurk and don't have accounts but who will absolutely track down a post I make in the goty 2023 thread to fact-check my work

(the friend who actually does post here doing this is fine though)

This is why you cut out the middle man and just give your friends your list directly

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Top 10 Alan Wake 2 Jiffs:

10: Lets gooo

9: Meeting old friends

8: And having good time

7: There's gameplay?

6: She's going in

5: Alan Wake is srs bsz:

4: /w srs dncg

3: just Joking <3

2: Final dance off

1: And it is a wrap. Gif Of The Year 2023 is:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Foul Fowl posted:

it's the most polarising one by far. some people (like me) think it's the best one for various Reasons. some other people think it's the worst one because of Other Reasons. discussion about whether or not it's a butt-sucking lovely rear end game, or a wonderfully eclectic and imaginative piece of game design that presaged elden ring, is as cyclical as the ages of fire and dark.

"Worst souls game" can still be fantastic though. Yes, Dark Souls 2 is my least favourite of the trilogy, but it's still an excellent game that I loved playing. Majula, defeating the Burnt Ivory King and above all the heartbreaking conclusion to Lucatiel's story meant this was unquestionably one of my top games of 2023.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think From is the most interesting when they're being more experimental, which is why Demon's Souls and DS2 are still da best.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Signalis got a big quality of life update recently with lots of accessibility options

Including expanding your inventory (the number 1 problem people have with signalis)

It's worth a try at this point especially if you love survival horror or games that are unique artistically.

Anyways year, loved how many times Armored Core 6 showed up. Hopefully Armored Core gets lots more future games!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Still catching my way up with the thread and

Microcline posted:

I was using the 2018 data to test my vote counting script and I think I found a few errors. The first is that three goons, cyclical, JBP, and Zephro weren't counted. Notably, if they were counted Pillars of Eternity 2 would be at #5 instead of #9.

The second, and more notable, is that in training had their vote counted as Monster Hunter World when it was for Monster Hunter Generations:

...Pobody's nerfect? :shobon:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Oh, if it's time for stupid lists...

Top 10 Favorite Balatro Jokers

(Subject to change when the game releases, contents may have already changed during playtesting.)

10. Ceremonial Dagger
Rarity: Uncommon
Effect: When Blind is selected, destroy Joker to the right and permanently add its sell value to this Mult

Mechanically this card is very weak - by the time you find it, you'll almost certainly have your playstyle for the run down enough that you don't want to be giving up Jokers for a bit of mult, even relatively useless ones. Maybe if clogging up the joker hand was more of a concern or if you were always guaranteed a "dummy" joker after every blind it would be more useful? Aesthetically and conceptually though, it's neat.

9. Oops! All 6s
Effect: Doubles all probabilities

Many of my personal favorite jokers screw around with probability, allowing you to manipulate the odds of other jokers. Oops! All 6s is an unflashy, workhorse joker that I appreciate for making many of my favorite combinations possible, while not being quite as effective as some of the others on this list.

8. Space Joker
Effect: 1 in 5 chance per hand played to upgrade poker hand level

A fun card... when it works. Upgrading poker hand level is one of the quickest ways to make more chips in the early game that still pays off dividends late game (although for the most part you've switched to actively focusing on Mult by that point) and the Space Joker lets you boost the hands that you play the most often without having to rely on Planet cards showing up. One of the jokers that you definitely want to see early on, but toss later.

7. Gros Michel
Rarity: Common
Effect: +10 Mult, 1 in 10 chance this card is destroyed every round

Obviously not to be combined with Oops! All 6s! At least not without a long term plan for its replacement. This humble banana is a staple crop of many early decks for its ability to provide a cheap and easy multiplier effect earlier on. Alas, much like its real world counterpart, the Gros Michel is doomed to eventual failure as it rots itself from the inside, probably due to panama disease. Hopefully by that point you've modified your deck and jokers enough to the point where it is no longer needed. The developer has confirmed that due to the Gros Michel's popularity, more varieties of banana joker will be coming to the main game.

6. Ring Master
Effect: Jokers, Tarots, and Planet cards appear multiple times

One of the Jokers that has nothing to do with hand gameplay but revolves around run meta. A key to unlocking run-shattering combos that stands out from jokers like Oops! All 6s by letting you do something that is otherwise literally impossible within the rules, doubling up on cards.

5. Onyx Agate
Rarity: Rare
Effect: 1 in 4 chance for X2 Mult for each played card with Club suit

The multiplier effect pings each individual card, making this joker truly bonkers. This guy was key to a run during one of the playtests where I ended up with a hand worth 8 digits in chips.

4. Supernova
Effect: Adds the number of times poker hand has been played to Mult

What the Gros Michel usually graduates to in my decks. The endgame of Balatro consists of refining your deck so you play the same hand over and over again, so a card that grows stronger with repetition is always great, and this is one of the better ones. A solid early-joker hand provider of a lot of base mult, to then be multiplied to ridiculous levels by the later in priority order jokers.

3. Dusk
Effect: Trigger each card in final hand of round 2 times when played

I love this card's ability to pull out big flashy finishing hands. Basically changes the game to Yu-Gi-Oh!, right down to encouraging you to point dramatically at the screen as you tell the Boss Blind "don't think you've won this duel just yet!"

2. Chicot
Rarity: Legendary
Effect: Disables effect of every boss blind

"He will be laughing still, at the end."

1. Blueprint
Rarity: Rare
Effect: Copies the ability of the Joker to the right

Yeah, yeah, most powerful joker in the game, real original. Don't care. Due to how order of operations work in Balatro, the rightmost joker in your hand should always be the craziest, post-everything else ability you've got, so the guaranteed ability to play it twice is ludicrous.

More lists to come, hopefully.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 1, 2024

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hey, I'm finally ready to post my list of the top 69 games this year, am I in time?

(J/K, love all the lists this year!)

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

the girl reading this

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

wuggles posted:

the girl reading this

:toot: :toot: :toot:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When VG announces that the real game of the year is YOU I will know this thread has officially jumped the shark. May that never happen.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's me, I'm the GOTY

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I forgot that the Balatro demo is "over" as of today and you can no longer play or download it. Bad timing for all of us posing about how good it is! welp

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
games have really loving good music these days. this ain't news. but it feels like the bar has raised overall with game music, it's rare you hear about good games not having good soundtracks to go with them. the games on my GOTY list are no exception. Well. Besides Magic The Gathering Arena, the music in that is...okay, but I don't really pay attention to it and have turned it off before.

My Favorite Tracks From My GOTY Games:

Pizza Tower

It's real loving hard to pick a favorite, let alone three favorites, from Pizza Tower. There's way too many incredibly good tracks. But I think it's hard not to pick the final boss theme, Unexpectancy(parts 1-3). The first phase is a standard final boss theme, solid, expected, nothing to particularly write home about. Phase 2 starts, and you're confronted with a character mocking you, playing the clown, treating you with disrespect. The music takes a HARSH turn into the absurd, and works so well. And then, phase 3 begins, and Peppino is DONE. the music goes completely out of control, becoming an anime-feeling medley of previous themes in the game, triumphant, furious, heroic. Maybe my favorite theme in years, because it really kicks your rear end into feeling "LET'S DO THIS"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bB0FNGlrEs

It's Pizza Time is the theme that plays during every escape sequence, you get very familiar with it. It's perfect for getting you frantic and panicked, but also goes INSANELY hard. It's obvious why it's the iconic theme of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7gGacb8cO4

Those two were basically shoe-ins for favorite themes, but picking a third was much harder. Would it be Peppino's Sauce Machine? Extraterrestrial Wah-Wahs? Hot Spaghetti? Pepperman Strikes!? Oregano Mirage? Were these all excuses to post more in my list than three? sure was! It's hard to pick! I was really tempted to pick Bye Bye There!, the excellent final escape sequence theme, it's hard to not go with it. But there's only one theme I think fits alongside the final boss and "main" theme of Pizza Tower, and that's WAR. A theme for a stage where you're thrown in on a timer, and have to make it through before it counts down to zero, or else you die instantly. Insanely frantic, and even lends a bit of dark history to Peppino, who is a veteran. Weird for a silly pizza man game to go there, but also, this stage goes HARD, and so the music must go just as so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiCTsIsvcK8

HI FI RUSH

A game about music, is expected to have a killer soundtrack. and Hi Fi Rush is happy to oblige. Sporting both a licensed soundtrack and a streamer-friendly version, funnily enough a lot of people found the streamer mode songs more fitting than the licensed ones.

The stage themes don't really get much love compared to the boss tracks imo, but I absolutely adore Production Destruction. one of those ones you can just sit there and go like "whoa, this is actually really good"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfmDIm2ybmY

The fight with Korsica is intense, it's not a normal fight but a parry battle, and that's made all the more on edge with the phenomenally solid theme they gave her. When you reach the final phase, the surroundings are flashing red, the beat is going as hard as it can, the clapping makes its way into the theme, it's so good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB-xKoI8URA

The moment where reality hits Chai like a brick, knocking his idiocy out for at least a few moments before he returns to everyone's favorite dumbass, and he has to concentrate, harmonize, and realize what his new friends mean to him, and this music plays as it builds to a crescendo? can't lie man, gave me chills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azn-iY73QME

I specifically only went with non-licensed tracks for my hi-fi rush picks, but I have to give a special mention to the scene where Chai crashes through a window and Invaders Must Die kicks in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrXHMEymHkY

Holocure

The soundtrack of this game is comprised of chiptune renditions of existing Hololive jpop songs, and Eufrik has done a phenomenal job in making them incredibly good themes for intense bullet heaven action that you simply don't get tired of despite hearing for 20+ minutes looping at a time. The most famous example of this is of course Suspect(Roboco, Aki Rosenthal, and Nakiri Ayame), which while a catchy song, I think really shines as the very first stage theme. This track alone makes me want a jukebox option in the game so I can pick the track that plays during my runs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_GAxGs88jQ

the other theme that rivals Suspect for my favorite track from Holocure is definitely Candy-Go-Round(Roboco, Yozora Mel, Aki Rosenthal, Minato Aqua, Shiranui Flare), whose Holocure theme is just so somehow perfectly fitting for the second stage theme, it starts slow but when the "chorus" kicks in, it's hard not to nod your head along while you Save all those fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt9xG8w5_qg

Then the Halloween Castle update came out, and with it came a rendition of Halloween Night, Tonight!(Yozora Mel, Murasaki Shion, Yuzuki Choco, Uruha Rushia) which goes incredibly hard for a Hololive song, but the Holocure version goes hard in its own way, especially when it includes Pekora's loving ridiculous laugh as a finale that somehow fits perfectly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39lnsbTf8TE

Slay The Princess

The music for this was mostly atmospheric, in the background, but it was overall very good at amplifying the stakes of the game, and for that I'll give it props. I'd have to try real hard to pick three specific tracks that stood out to me, but the music overall was excellent. Giving the OST a quick once-over, I'd say these three had an impact on me from playing it:

the music that plays during the second phase of The Adversary is bombastic, thunderous, threatening. Perfectly fitting the Princess who wants nothing more than to beat you to death.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-sx0KKde0Y

the music for The Thorn is tragic, beautiful, pitiful. A prisoner, hurting herself, but you have the opportunity to help. Do you help? You might hear this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuG-t47eF-4

and the last pick, going into Slay The Princess, you might not be expecting A DIALOGUE FINAL BOSS FIGHT!, but this game provides, and boy, the music for it is something else. Heavenly. Imposing. Final.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oZ_lLIcXE0

Minecraft

A lot of people don't really notice just how incredible C418's work on the original batches of music for Minecraft were. To me, they were an incredibly important aspect of the game, on top of the uniqueness of the game itself, the music lent the atmosphere an unearthly quality, an alienness that was serene, but at the same time, often unsettling. But at the same time, there was beauty in the calm the tracks often provided. One track in particular is not a track you'd hear during normal gameplay, only playing during the End Poem after defeating the Ender Dragon. It is called Alpha and I've sung its praises many times before, it's one of the most impressive pieces of video game music I've ever heard. A ten minute epic, it imparts an immensely nostalgic feeling, while also basically representing a "day" in Minecraft. Adventuring, resting, relaxing, dying. It's an incredibly beautiful piece and probably in my top 5 all-time game themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfm2nnCOpc

Taswell is another long track, made in memory of Ryan "Taswell" Davis, cofounder of Giant Bomb, who was friends with C418 and died suddenly on his honeymoon in 2013. It's an eerie, somber melody, but also hopeful and loving. "Remember the past, both the tragedies and the triumphs", it always felt to me. C418 is so exceptionally good at conveying emotion through music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6jF7I2s10

Dog is a very upbeat, almost silly track. It contrasts the often low-key themes of Minecraft, instead being peppy, catchy, and playful. You could practically skip along to this as you run through fields ingame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMOcqXM_d8o

While I picked three, I think the entirety of Minecraft Volume Alpha and Volume Beta are worth giving a listen to on their own, outside the context of Minecraft itself. They're very unique soundtracks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

6: Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights (Switch)
This was an odd one for me for the first half of the game, because all I’d ever known about this game was that most people who played it didn’t like it that much. My shock came from the fact that it was in fact extremely good. Hell the first real deal spirit they gave me was the big dumb hammer guy I would go on to use for the entire game, the map doesn’t track to the in game world very well BUT it tells you when you’ve found all the secrets in a room which is worth any amount of flowchart look. This game had one of my favorite boss fights of all time (Julius, that is the only one in a 2D game that really felt like I was fighting one of From’s best bosses, boss theme included.) Maybe it had a rough launch or something, but this game is GREAT.

I think EL really doesn't put its best foot forward. The first area of the game is just a completely linear sequence of flat rooms, the first boss is Ok I Guess, combat doesn't really start to pop until you have a few more souls, etc. I had a blast with it and it ended up on my top ten for this year, but I almost dropped it less than an hour in because of that.

quote:

[2] Kings Field 4: The Ancient City (Late Last Year / Early January) (not on Steam because ???)

I started playing KF4 right at the end of last year when I was fooling around with emulators on the steam deck. I only meant to see if it was running well and if I could find a good control setup for it, but I ended up falling in love with this game. It controls amazingly well on the Steam Deck, and once I got into the rhythm of combat and exploration I was hooked.

Like the #1 game on my list, it hits the notes from the Souls series that make that my favourite series of all time (exploration, progressive combat mastery, minimally directed narrative). The Ancient City is maybe the best realized version From has ever done of the looping world that captivated me in Dark Souls. The gameplay loop of exploration and puzzle solving and combat carried me through what ended up being a pretty tight 15-20 hour game, and the dreamlike story really contributed to my enjoyment of the whole thing. The one sour note was probably the ending, I really don’t enjoy that style of final boss.
After enjoying Demon's Souls (up to a point), I tried KF4, and I bounced off it every time entirely due to the control scheme -- I just cannot wrap my fingers around it. Which is a shame, because it seems pretty cool otherwise!

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 1, 2024

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Ok time to list the best new Characters of the year:

1. Clive Rosfield.

2. Shadowheart.

3. Astarion, Lae'zel, Karlach.

4. All eight protags of Octopath Traveller 2

5. Saga Anderson from Alan Wake 2

6. Manon from sf6

7. Torgal, Cid, Ambrosia and the rest

8. The robot you made in the AC6?

9. Pepsi Hair from Fire Emblem

10. Oh wait Songbird from Phantom Liberty should probably be higher on the list aww poo poo too late now

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
That list needs Byron, Alcatraz, Melville, and Yaqut imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Rusty? :shrug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Urinary retention Rusty: “I won’t piss”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ll show myself out

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No love for any of the boring new dweebs from TotK? That’s a yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Top 10 strategies I learned this year for strategy games.

1. Bloodhammer (Last Spell)

Vampirism+Blood Magic+2 handed hammers. Good LORD this feels good. Absolutely insane when you pull it off well, and piloted decently a single person with this can cover almost any weakness in the rest of your strategy. Absolutely incredible, somehow a turn based strategy gets your adrenaline pumping as you telefrag into a big cluster, propagate earthquake kill a huge swarm, then telefrag back to safety. Incredible.

2. Beemaxxing (Last Spell)

Kind of the other end of the spectrum, beemaxing will not solve nearly as many hard problems as bloodhammer or other builds that can just annihilate super tough enemies. Instead it will just reliable clean up huge, huge numbers of enemies, and perhaps more importantly it will do so while ignoring nearly every defensive strategy in the game. Bypasses armor, not reduced by reduction, fully unblockable, evades evasion. Can't even be trigger retaliation. The only defense that works is "big block of HP," and so you really can just clear up every little poo poo with complicated defense and let your various snipers and duellist focus on sniping and duelling.

3. Poison Bombing (Backpack Battles)

Unreliable as gently caress but I love it so much. I still don't really have any counterplay to it, the only flaw with it is that half the time I try it the whole thing fails because you need so many things to come together, but if you can get the gear together it just seems to win instantly.

4. Minimalist Plasmacannons (Armored Core 1)

Not actually as complicated or interesting as other things in here, its just a funny strategy and in the context of AC1 is pretty weird. You can absolutely do similar builds in other ACs, but it feels best in AC1, which is again weird because it doesn't have a ton of ammo and has pretty low durability, its just very high mobility and very high DPS - two things that AC1 usually plays against - but the particular combination of parts available in AC1 mean that it has surprisingly good sustain and outside of some of the longest missions it works pretty well since you can frequently clear an entire room before anybody gets more than one shot off.

5. Charizards (Backpack Battles)

God this strategy is so loving dumb. The deck of cards is such a loving mess of a mechanic and getting it to do anything right is a pain in the rear end and the pay off for it is you get to stunlock your opponent by having your stupid pokemon bodyslam them repeatedly and that's just very funny.

6. Stuttertrenches (Great War)

Weirdly a somewhat historical but not super historical strategy, and a bit of an AI exploit. I kind of like the battles where you're heavily outmatched and defending the most, like 2 divisions vs 10 type situations, and while its cheesy I think its also kind of cool. Basically if the AI has to contest a trench in hand-to-hand, they won't abandon that trench until they've cleared the entire point. So you build as many tiny, NOT CONNECTED, trenches as possible all around a hard to defend command point and only make a major defensive line at the end, and you put the very bare minimum defenders in each trench. You will likely lose all of the forward trenches, but the enemy will 1) station men inside those trenches and 2) because they're disconnected, they'll have to get up and into no mans land every, single, step. They end up spending the majority of their pop cap on garrisoning trenches that they don't attack from, so that instead of facing attacks of 20 companies against your main defense you're facing attacks of like...4 companies tops, Which is way more beatable! loving weird.

7. Mmmomentum (Last Spell)

A lot less interesting than beemaxxing or bloodhammer, still very good and very versatile and it just feels super cool to have a guy with a one hand sword doing anime poo poo flying across the battlefield. Unmatched way of killing bosses IMO, I've killed like 3 dryads with 1 guy in 1 turn with this.

8. Artillery Hustle (Great War)

Probably the most intended strategy on this list, and extremely extremely historical. Carefully time artillery barrages so that your troops are getting into the trenches before they can get cut down by defenders. The one part of this that elevates it is the realization at some point that its better to use column formation than skirmish formation for this, because ideally you're taking absolute 0 enemy fire while doing this so 2x0 = 0, but getting into the opposing trenches slightly faster IS actually important so its a nice lil risk reward thing for executing well.

9. Cheese civil war (victoria 3)

lmao. gently caress landlords. I mostly play high population low development unrecognized nations in V3, think Persia or Sokoto. Countries where the landlords are not just powerful but like 90% clout. There's several strategies for how to deal with the fact that they want you to have all of the worst laws imaginable, but for my money the funniest is to provoke them into a civil war they will lose and then pass a bunch of laws that ruin their day. Doesn't always work, but its very very funny when you speedrun passing slavery abolition and dismantling the monarchy and modernizing the military and modernizing the bureaucracy and of course most important dropping loving traditionalism all in like 2 years because you managed to get the austrians to prop up your poo poo rear end loyalists who only hold like 10% of your country. Radicalism is just a number bro.

10. MAA Rush (AOE2)

I don't even think this is particularly meta at this point but I'm pretty bad so whatever. IDK I just like it. It's a lot more consistent for me than pure archer, and I'm not a scouts guy. I like mixups, and while its an insanely PREDICTABLE mixup to play an archer civ, hit somebody with 4 men at arms, and then have a bunch of archers a few minutes later, its still unambiguously a mixup and I just get better results than when I do most other strategies.