Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I recently booted up Arceus to transfer some of my Pokémon to Scarlet and it’s funny how much better that game looks than Scarlet

otter posted:

* Play through a pokemon game (taking recommendations)

any Pokémon game can be a good starting point.

but actually play Black or White those are the best ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Technical performance aside my big hope in the jump from Arceus to Scarlet/Violet was that they put more effort into area design and made some compelling landscapes and areas that gave a real substantial sense of exploration. Didn't really happen at all which made the latter a massive disappointment for me after the initial hopeful buildup. Basically feels like Game freak doesn't know how to do much beyond take a flat plane and use some kinda warp tool to pull up some blobby hills or carve out valleys. The wild area followed by Arceus and S/V have really established an extremely unfortunate pattern.

That and it feels worse to just... move around in S/V, partly because the game is terribly optimized and shouldn't have been full open world to begin with

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Recommendations for a game that kids can play fairly independentally? Ages 5-12. They like Mario kart, party, smash bros, and that stick man fighting game. Bonus points if it’s currently on sale.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Recommendations for a game that kids can play fairly independentally? Ages 5-12. They like Mario kart, party, smash bros, and that stick man fighting game. Bonus points if it’s currently on sale.

Kinda depends on the kids.
My 8 year old crushed Breath of the Wild.
If they like easier stuff, the Crocs World games are fairly low stakes platformers but are cute and fun.
I think there’s a Kirby fighting game that’s free.
I always recommend Deku Deals for price tracking.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Xenoblade 2 was fantastic but I can't imagine what they were thinking to put gacha mechanics in a single player game. Like it's cool to give everyone a different experience based on the blades they initially pull, but for there to be no way to fill out your roster even end game was horrible. Without it it would have been my favorite game in the series.

I agree fully on this, the gacha was so bad they added a pity mechanic. Plus it actually is linked to a bunch of content also makes it more annoying - events, places, etc. I never got the kos-mos I wanted out of 25 or 30 unique blades (all but like 4).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
arceus looks better than scarvio largely because of the ukiyo-e esque gradients it uses everywhere but the environments themselves are so insanely boring to run around in, i had a lot more fun exploring and catching pokemon in scarvio. and 90% of the research tasks you have to do for progression are bologna like use water gun 30 times

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

maybeadracula posted:

I played all of XBC1 and XBCX but the combat is so automatic and boring I can't get myself to want to play another 80 hours of it to try 2 or 3

Gorgeous games but I wish they had more traditional jrpg combat or something.

2 is reasonably hands on but with dlc (or is it a setting ?) you can do "auto pass blade challenges" which lets the game bring you sanity not endless button mashup challenges.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

otter posted:

Kinda depends on the kids.
My 8 year old crushed Breath of the Wild.
If they like easier stuff, the Crocs World games are fairly low stakes platformers but are cute and fun.
I think there’s a Kirby fighting game that’s free.
I always recommend Deku Deals for price tracking.

Will check them out, thanks!

Didn’t know about Deku either, so double thanks!

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

Augus posted:

I recently booted up Arceus to transfer some of my Pokémon to Scarlet and it’s funny how much better that game looks than Scarlet

any Pokémon game can be a good starting point.

but actually play Black or White those are the best ones

That or Heart Gold/ Soul Silver, late DS pokemon is peak pokemon

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Maybe the 2D and 3D Mario platformers? Wonder, Odyssey, 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, New U Deluxe, Maker 2. You could even track down a copy of 3D All Stars if those are a hit.

Some of them could be a bit tricky for a 5-year old, but Wonder and New U Deluxe have “easy” characters and Odyssey has an easy mode (called assist mode). Or maybe they’d have no problem, idunno. It probably depends on the kid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Odyssey is great if you turn on the assist mode. Falling off the level or into instakill lava = no problem, and a path appears on screen to show you where to go if you want to follow it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

2023 is going to forever be known as as the year that gave us:

https://i.imgur.com/DKR0x2T.mp4

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay I started up my DE game again and promptly died of a heart attack

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

2023 is going to forever be known as as the year that gave us:

https://i.imgur.com/DKR0x2T.mp4

Best year for gaming ever

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

mdemone posted:

Turn on your (heart) monitor

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

runchild posted:

Maybe the 2D and 3D Mario platformers? Wonder, Odyssey, 3D World + Bowser’s Fury, New U Deluxe, Maker 2. You could even track down a copy of 3D All Stars if those are a hit.

Some of them could be a bit tricky for a 5-year old, but Wonder and New U Deluxe have “easy” characters and Odyssey has an easy mode (called assist mode). Or maybe they’d have no problem, idunno. It probably depends on the kid.

Actually the assist mode would be perfect. I have to enable the steering and acceleration assist for Kart. Thanks!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The cases in Great Ace Attorney Resolve are so good and compelling but also so God drat long

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

mdemone posted:

Maybe the true ending

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The cases in Great Ace Attorney Resolve are so good and compelling but also so God drat long

they all kick rear end so who cares

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Notable January 2024 releases:

1-11-2024 Laika: Aged Through Blood ($ can't find price?), rated M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjOy9ugl9Q
"Motorvania", aka a 2D metroidvaina where you play a coyote lady on a motorbike, shredding through the desert. Pop wheelies, launch off ramps, and blast bad guys. Looks like you enter bullet time when you gain air. This one was already released on Xbox and Playstation consoles and seems like it is well liked.

1-18-2024 Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown ($49.99, or $59.99 for digital deluxe), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Daw0dS0WJj4
A 2D metroidvania Prince of Persia game. Focus on combat as the lithe prince. Seems to have a lot of bosses, and of course, lots of parkour/platforming. This game looks kinda rad. It's Ubisoft, so it'll probably go on sale before too long...

1-18-2024 Turnip Boy Robs a Bank ($14.99), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BblVFrNaR4
I never played the first one but between tax evasion and robbing a bank, Turnip boy seems to like sticking it to the man, so god bless

1-18-2024 DreadOut 2 ($ can't find price?), rated M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIxifUCvJtg
Just when you thought you were totally Dreaded Out, here comes DreadOut 2! 3rd person horror where you use your smartphone to fight ghosts. This game has a low budget/janky charm. The first one is held in pretty good regard; DreadOut 2 seems a little less so but still a solid 7/10. There are people this would really appeal to, you know who you are

1-18-2024 Choo Choo Charles ($19.99), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MUTXI_3mog
I don't know, looks like meme streamer trash

1-19-2024 Another Code: Recollection ($59.99, DEMO AVAILABLE), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu_RWyZNDLw
Remake of two DS games (the second one was never released in NA). You play as a girl seeking her father, solving puzzles and making friends with a ghost. Uncover the truth! Seems to have a melancholy vibe.

1-25-2024 Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy ($49.99), rated T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inQevnTHpOI
Apollo Justice is kind of a dork rear end nerd but these games were ok, as I recall. Looks pretty on the Switch and a lot more voice acting than I remember

1-31-2024 Eastward: Octopia DLC ($ can't find price), rated E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8TcG8U6OWQ
DLC for Eastopia. "Welcome to a parallel world of Eastward: population... growing!? In a remote mountainside village, Sam and John start life anew as farmers! Work the land, tend livestock, and cook heartwarming meals for familiar yet strangely different friends. Enjoy the good life in peaceful pixel surroundings!"

Looks like a slice of life farm sim thing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Apollo Justice the only lawyer not to get himself arrested and tried for murder

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Apollo Justice the only lawyer not to get himself arrested and tried for murder
Give it time, he's still inexperienced.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Game Freak really does seem to be running on fumes, TPC apparently still runs them like they're developing for the goddamn Game Boy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Actually the assist mode would be perfect. I have to enable the steering and acceleration assist for Kart. Thanks!

Ok scratch that. I have 5yo twins and apparently each player needs 2 controllers, which they aren’t used to. So they each wanted one so one could be the “feet” and one the “eyes.” That ended in disaster :lol:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just to warn anyone off, DreadOut 2 is one of the most appallingly badly designed indie horror games I've ever played.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Will never understand the Arceus love. Never have I played such a boring checklist game

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Oh poo poo! That prince of peesia game looks real good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I’m waiting to see how Switch performance compares to PC. It’s a dumb epic game store exclusive, no Steam.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m waiting to see how Switch performance compares to PC. It’s a dumb epic game store exclusive, no Steam.

Wtf. Ubisoft ... No...

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

External Organs posted:

prince of peesia

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Prince of peesia - the lost stall

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

External Organs posted:

Wtf. Ubisoft ... No...

You can also buy direct from Ubisoft store which I might do if the Switch version can’t keep up or has issues.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
The Marquis of Micturition.
The Baron of the Bog.
Duke of Dookie

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

You can also buy direct from Ubisoft store which I might do if the Switch version can’t keep up or has issues.

Yeah but I have a steamdeck

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

Will never understand the Arceus love. Never have I played such a boring checklist game

it's a really bad game OP

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

External Organs posted:

Yeah but I have a steamdeck

Same :negative:

But I’ll be fine if the Switch version is equivalent.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

hatty posted:

That's nice, honey

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
the only good pokemon games are red, gold, stadium, and snap

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

crystal ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

silver was my fave