Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 21 minutes!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I never went into Moonrise's basement (oops, sorry gnomes and tieflings) so I ended up fighting absolutely every single loving cultist at once in a colossal clusterfuck of a final battle. My two saving graces were that I had hoarded a lot of smokepowder bombs, and that I'd had the foresight to get Karlach high on every fantasy combat drug known to humanoids at the start of the fight (potion of speed + elixir of bloodlust gets real fuckin silly when you're throwing grenades around on a multiattacking class)

rescuing the tieflings if you're a warlock is 100% worth it. you get a robe that adds your main stat (charisma) to the damage so eldritch blast hits a ton harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

exquisite tea posted:

This is from a few pages ago but I have not found these gloves yet and am still getting Reverb stacks from Magic Missile. At first I thought it might be Phalar Aluve applying the condition but I will even get Reverb stacks from targets outside shriek range. So either it's bugged to work with anything, or it counts Lightning stacks as a condition. I suspect it might be the latter because the Reverberation count always seems to line up with how many lightning charges my Wizard has.

I have the lightning charge staff and the reverb gloves with the extra missile necklace and I'm getting a bunch of reverb and lightning stacks for more damage and the chance to knock something down on my sorcerer. Great combo, and since everything has higher AC on Tactician anything that has higher accuracy is more valuable.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I know the core principle of D&D is dice rolling, but man does it really take the wind out of the experience when you just have stupid bad RNG despite the odds seeming drastically in your favour. I don't play with karmic dice because supposedly it makes the enemies hit like trained navy seal snipers. It's not like I'm getting very many situations where the exact opposite happens and I pull off a very clutch dice roll that makes me feel invincible. Most of the time, it's just crushing defeat and embarrassment after one another, and I'll roll a nat 20 on something inconsequential.

I've got no idea how this mechanic could be improved to be less frustrating since it is basically just RNG, but it feels like the XCOM series where you can be right next to an enemy with all the stars aligned and manage to whiff three times in a row despite a solid 80% chance to hit.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Qubee posted:

I know the core principle of D&D is dice rolling, but man does it really take the wind out of the experience when you just have stupid bad RNG despite the odds seeming drastically in your favour. I don't play with karmic dice because supposedly it makes the enemies hit like trained navy seal snipers. It's not like I'm getting very many situations where the exact opposite happens and I pull off a very clutch dice roll that makes me feel invincible. Most of the time, it's just crushing defeat and embarrassment after one another, and I'll roll a nat 20 on something inconsequential.

I've got no idea how this mechanic could be improved to be less frustrating since it is basically just RNG, but it feels like the XCOM series where you can be right next to an enemy with all the stars aligned and manage to whiff three times in a row despite a solid 80% chance to hit.

Git gud

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
i enjoy when i have like +15 bonus to my roll for like exactly that then roll a 1 and fail

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

I failed 2 rolls and 4 rerolls on a character that needed 4+ to succeed.

Fine Z'rell I guess you die! I just wanted better gear from the bugbear jeez!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

This is from a few pages ago but I have not found these gloves yet and am still getting Reverb stacks from Magic Missile. At first I thought it might be Phalar Aluve applying the condition but I will even get Reverb stacks from targets outside shriek range. So either it's bugged to work with anything, or it counts Lightning stacks as a condition. I suspect it might be the latter because the Reverberation count always seems to line up with how many lightning charges my Wizard has.

It seems like any sort of elemental damage counts as a condition, which makes sense because they inflict conditions. It's probably proccing even when the enemy saves on shocked/chilled etc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Qubee posted:

you do what PoE did and make it so that true misses only happen a vanishingly small portion of the time (which i think was 5% base in their system, e.g. a natural 1), with results under the defense target but above the miss threshhold dealing reduced damage instead of no damage, and effects either applying for a shorter duration or applying a less powerful but still useful debuff

D&D doesn't do this for a combination of legacy reasons, increased tabletop complexity (every additional math equation you have to solve at a table slows down play astronomically), and the lows of gambling being more easily mitigated by a sympathetic DM

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i've just reclassed as a bard so now i can just stack dice with like 10+ points no matter what so i win every roll

as for combat, well, karlach has reckless attack if she does miss which is rare, and she can usually kill an enemy in one turn with her double attacks and advantage she always has.

my playstyle is basically just to negate the dnd mechanics as much as possible.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Question on act 1 mechanics- can I traverse between camp and playworld freely without changes? I really wanna stash all these 12 explosive barrels in my camp but to be able to pull them out when I need them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation

roomtone posted:

i've just reclassed as a bard so now i can just stack dice with like 10+ points no matter what so i win every roll

as for combat, well, karlach has reckless attack if she does miss which is rare, and she can usually kill an enemy in one turn with her double attacks and advantage she always has.

my playstyle is basically just to negate the dnd mechanics as much as possible.

a sorc with dual casting metamagic and haste on karlach/whoever else is a lot of fun

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Jose posted:

so uh other than the solution i found online of killing myself and resurrecting is there any other way to fix a dislocated shoulder?

I deal with a lot of dislocated shoulders IRL but apparently this is a Baldur's Gate thread. The solution is the same regardless.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jose posted:

rescuing the tieflings if you're a warlock is 100% worth it. you get a robe that adds your main stat (charisma) to the damage so eldritch blast hits a ton harder

Oh I didn't even think about that working with Eldritch Blast. I had it on my sorcerer until I got something better in act 3 (not being coy, I don't remember the name) but since warlocks basically use a cantrip as their primary multi-attack weapon that's even better.

People were talking about House of Hope earlier, it should be pretty doable at level 10 as long as nobody relies on fire or radiant damage. I had a light domain Shadowheart that was pretty much stuck on necrotic aura, summon, and heal duty because the devils are immune to fire and there were enemies with a retaliation effect against radiant.

Valtonen posted:

Question on act 1 mechanics- can I traverse between camp and playworld freely without changes? I really wanna stash all these 12 explosive barrels in my camp but to be able to pull them out when I need them.

If you look at the rest menu, underneath long rest there's a button that's just "go to camp." That lets you bounce between camp and wherever you currently are without needing to take a long rest. That should give you what you need, although I mainly use it for loading up my inventory with a bunch of daggers and heavy armor to clean out every vendor's gold supply.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

EorayMel posted:

I have the lightning charge staff and the reverb gloves with the extra missile necklace and I'm getting a bunch of reverb and lightning stacks for more damage and the chance to knock something down on my sorcerer. Great combo, and since everything has higher AC on Tactician anything that has higher accuracy is more valuable.

if you add in the reverb boots you can get 4 stacks of Reverb on stuff in one turn which is a pretty powerful debuff -- most of your big damage nukes will target Dexterity, and Reverberation lowers all physical saves (str/dex/con).

My party setup ended up being a Tempest cleric with Reverberation gear and then a sorceror. The cleric dumpsters physical saves, inflicts Wet, and does nukes or buffs and the sorceror follows up with nukes.

There's also a hat that inflicts Encrusted with Frost once a turn and that gives disadvantage on Dex saving throws. If you really feel the need to shred an enemy's saves before nuking them

https://bg3.wiki/wiki/Coldbrim_Hat

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Valtonen posted:

Yep, as long as you're not in combat or a hostile zone.

The easiest way is to right click on the barrels in the invetory and use Send to Camp or from the camp Send to charname.
You can even split your party and only send 1 to camp who then mails them to the party.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Lima posted:

Yep, as long as you're not in combat or a hostile zone.

The easiest way is to right click on the barrels in the invetory and use Send to Camp or from the camp Send to charname.
You can even split your party and only send 1 to camp who then mails them to the party.

Yea Ive found the buttons; just wanted to make sure the game doesnt track ”going to camp” as a que for advancing events like long rest seems to be.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Valtonen posted:

Yea Ive found the buttons; just wanted to make sure the game doesnt track ”going to camp” as a que for advancing events like long rest seems to be.

It does not

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It does count as a long rest I’m p sure, like if you go to camp immediately after the nautiloid ship, when you get back Shadowheart will have moved to the Druid zone

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jay Rust posted:

It does count as a long rest I’m p sure, like if you go to camp immediately after the nautiloid ship, when you get back Shadowheart will have moved to the Druid zone

It absolutely does not count as a long rest unless you actually long rest. You can go back and forth all day long with Nere hanging out and that won't progress until you hit the button. Same for Waukeen's Rest. Same for (act 3 spoiler) Florricks Execution, which gives you five long rest, and is actually spelled out in game as happening in 5 days. Etc etc. either you're remembering incorrectly or that is literally the single time sensitive thing in the game affected by simply going to camp.

E: I'm an idiot

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 1, 2024

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The collapsed tunnel and one other thing I can’t recall are affected by going to camp whether or not you long rest.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Shumagorath posted:

The collapsed tunnel and one other thing I can’t recall are affected by going to camp whether or not you long rest.

What collapsed tunnel? The one in the gyrmforge? Because if so, no, you can take 2 long rests before it resolves.

e: just speed ran the nautiloid and going to camp does trigger shadowheart moving. regardless it does not progress Nere or anything else in act 1.

e2: gently caress, sorry for being a jerk about it, it DOES progress Waukeen's Rest if you go to camp after triggering the burning building thing. that should be it though.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 1, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It used to be one long rest but they changed it to two, maybe in Patch 5. I also noticed they recently changed the portal from the Underdark to Auntie Ethel’s place. At launch it used to take you behind a mask wall near the bottom of her lair, now it just teleports you outside her back door in the swamp.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah just did a quick test. Volo was in the Druid grove, I spoke to him, went to camp and back, and he was gone from the grove and presumably is at the goblin camp now

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Professor Beetus posted:

e2: gently caress, sorry for being a jerk about it, it DOES progress Waukeen's Rest if you go to camp after triggering the burning building thing. that should be it though.
It's cool; I haven't played since the mirror patch.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Is there any point for me to goto the the vampire's party in the city, if Astarian got a stake through the heart early on? It seems related to him and my guys are all max level.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Does strength or dex affect accuracy with throwing weapons? It feels like Karlach has pretty high accuracy with them in my game but I only have at 14 dex so I'm guessing strength governs it?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

mitochondritom posted:

Is there any point for me to goto the the vampire's party in the city, if Astarian got a stake through the heart early on? It seems related to him and my guys are all max level.

Loot you monster :argh:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Does strength or dex affect accuracy with throwing weapons? It feels like Karlach has pretty high accuracy with them in my game but I only have at 14 dex so I'm guessing strength governs it?

Correct.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

Angry Diplomat posted:

AoOs are annoyingly inconsistent at the best of times, but I've noticed that it helps to pay attention to which weapon a character is holding. If you make a ranged attack and then end the turn, they won't make opportunity attacks because they're holding a bow or crossbow. However, if you make ranged attacks, then select Pommel Strike or something so they're holding a melee weapon, then use your bonus action for something else (other than an offhand hand-crossbow shot I guess), they'll (probably) make AoOs as they should.

Each character also only gets one reaction per turn. If you use Hellish Rebuke or gloves of arrow snaring, you don't get to smack anyone with a melee opportunity attack that turn.

Maybe it’s different if you’re on console but you can also just press ‘F’ to switch between ranged and melee as much as you want without using any actions/bonus actions.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Professor Beetus posted:

I have one more single player run I'm almost done with and then I'm shelving except for multiplayer and waiting for more patches/dlc for more solo play.

Does anyone know if there's been any rumblings about what might be coming in a theoretical patch 6 at this point?

Fingers crossed for boob physics.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Patch 5 has proven in my mind that male genitalia and Shadowheart's ponytail use the same exact physics.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Fingers crossed for Halsin boob physics.
:hmmyes:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So if you're playing on Honour mode, how do you know which encounters you can handle or not? I've had so many encounters trigger that I am woefully unprepared or underleveled for and everyone gets wiped. On Honour mode, how would you handle a situation like that?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Qubee posted:

So if you're playing on Honour mode, how do you know which encounters you can handle or not? I've had so many encounters trigger that I am woefully unprepared or underleveled for and everyone gets wiped. On Honour mode, how would you handle a situation like that?

You can almost always run away, keep an invis potion on you.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Qubee posted:

I solved that problem by playing over 600 hours so I know most of the game like the back of my hand. (and yet was still surprised by one development in my honor run).

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Qubee posted:

I don't play with karmic dice because supposedly it makes the enemies hit like trained navy seal snipers.

This was originally based on one person’s extremely sketch data during early access. Larian said it was unintentional and patched it long before the game was ever released.

I’m not aware of any current evidence this is still the case. As far as I can tell, this is akin to telling people they have to be careful about having Astarion in your party when you have to travel over running water.

I have failed at making it through PoE II a good half dozen times because I do not care about ships and pirates. It’s a whole added layer of gameplay I don’t care about over a system that’s already too complex (real time with pause is poisonous and leads to a lot of bad design decisions).

I honestly don’t know that I can bear to play another real time with pause game, ever again.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

mitochondritom posted:

Does anyone else who played BG1 feel that the way this game used Sarevok was at best underwhelming and at worst wrecks his story from the first two games? It was a cool moment to see him again, but the game goes at lengths to say he's basically a little bitch and his redemption wasn't real so he ends up sat on a chair under the city of Baldurs Gate doing what? Nothing about his character in the first games suggested he would just sit around "adjudicating" for Bhaal. He was ambitious, ruthless and smart. It just feels like the writers wanted to include him somehow, and replaced a generic "judge of Bhaal" character with him or something. Even if you ignore his pseudo redemption in TOB (which, I assume most players take because it is, I think, one of the better plot lines in the games) it still doesn't fit him really. Basically everything about his appearing in BG makes his story in BG1 and 2 worse.

I think it would have been better to have a pretender or something, an aspirant wearing Sarevoks gear. Maybe Orin is using a doppleganger to pretend to be Sarevok. Then the player gets the same sort of reaction "Oh its him from BG1", can still get the cool hat and sword and Sarevok could have gone to Kara-tur to bury Tamoko, having some sort of thematic ending appropriate for the character.

Its the first time in the game I have really been disappointed with the connection to the first two games and think his inclusion was pretty poorly implemented.

Yeah it was a weird choice and also I felt like they did viconia dirty too

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've played with karmic dice and without, I don't think it makes a huge difference. The only really noticable thing to me was that you will almost never get 4 speech check failures in a row with karmic dice turned on, assuming the DC is achievable for your character. I didn't notice any difference in combat.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
The only difference I’ve noticed in combat is that if you’re focusing on characters with a lot of shots in a row, some of them will hit a bit more often than expected. It kind of becomes worth it to have all your pets multi-attack as you fire 3 eldritch blasts and have your monk punch 87 times a round, even when hit odds are pretty low.

It’s totally cool to not want to use the karmic dice, but the enemies also getting those loaded rolls hasn’t happened since maybe April or something like that. If it ever happened at all in something resembling a consistent manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Qubee posted:

Honour mode is a challenge mode for people familiar with the game.