Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mawarannahr posted:

Pretty sure it's not a coincidence school shootings and violent FPS (later TPS) games blew up at the same time

mawarannahr posted:

.95 of psychology is completely made up (increasingly enshittified too);

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

yeah like violence across p much all media got ramped up over like 40 or 50 years, they're born in a world where people can get numb to violence p easily, and besides video games, who knows what these guys consume

i wonder if the violent video games played a part in that 20%, like, how did it feel when they played violent video games? did they feel similarly when they did it irl? idk, could be possible. is it enough to ban violent video games? probably not. but still an interesting consideration imo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

How many of you would know the difference between an mp5 and a famas without CS? I would not!

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
culture enshittified by screenwriters being unable come up with nonviolent plot conflict

or nonviolents way to resolve conflict in nonviolent plots

"why does this comedy need to have a drug dealer crime caper in the third act? it was about silly high school misfits/a couple dealing with being middle-aged and bored."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

This thread got filled with shittier takes for no good reason. Its not video games, its not rap music, its not Elvis gyrating his hips you numbskulls

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Greg12 posted:

culture enshittified by screenwriters being unable come up with nonviolent plot conflict

or nonviolents way to resolve conflict in nonviolent plots

"why does this comedy need to have a drug dealer crime caper in the third act? it was about silly high school misfits/a couple dealing with being middle-aged and bored."

It wasn’t violent but the John Goodman comedy drug dealer in the third act of Flight was so weird

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

How many of you would know the difference between an mp5 and a famas without CS? I would not!

How many school shootings in the US have been done with an mp5 or a famas

Checkmate

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Beastie posted:

This thread got filled with shittier takes for no good reason. Its not video games, its not rap music, its not Elvis gyrating his hips you numbskulls

Neither rap nor Elvis provide graphically realistic murder simulations sponsored by the CIA and US military for recruitment, propaganda, and whitewashing of history, op -- look up CoD Black Ops 2 and America's Army.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

How many school shootings in the US have been done with an mp5 or a famas

Checkmate

I think it's bad to have things that encourage children to be obsessed with different kinds of guns :shrug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

.95 of psychology is completely made up (increasingly enshittified too); look into the reproducibility crisis, Stanford prison experiment, Kitty Genovese etc.

Concerning

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Yep rap has no links to the cia at all

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Everyone knows it’s novels that are ruining the youths

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Btw mawrhannar everyone who doesn’t agree with you is gang stalking you

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

mawarannahr posted:

Neither rap nor Elvis provide graphically realistic murder simulations sponsored by the CIA and US military for recruitment, propaganda, and whitewashing of history, op -- look up CoD Black Ops 2 and America's Army.

I think it's bad to have things that encourage children to be obsessed with different kinds of guns :shrug:

Better ban kids playing as cowboys lest they go murder a reservation

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Did a school Normandy after I saw saving private ryan

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i'd guess it's the cultural normalization of anger more than anything, toxic masculinity poo poo etc. like, people who already bought into that stuff seek out more of it because they're attracted to it. it isn't a "cause" for irl violence tho, it's just people moving towards stuff that reinforces what they've already decided is worth internalizing. just think some people are more susceptible to that kinda influence and carrying out bad poo poo than others

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

veepfake posted:

i'd guess it's the cultural normalization of anger more than anything, toxic masculinity poo poo etc. like, people who already bought into that stuff seek out more of it because they're attracted to it. it isn't a "cause" for irl violence tho, it's just people moving towards stuff that reinforces what they've already decided is worth internalizing. just think some people are more susceptible to that kinda influence and carrying out bad poo poo than others

actually violence is because u could make CJ fat in san andreas

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

lol good point

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Only 1/5 of school shooters playing violent video games is a cia psy op to make us think video games don’t turn people into psychopaths

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Beastie posted:

Better ban kids playing as cowboys lest they go murder a reservation
i unironically agree
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/american-cowboys-ride-in-to-help-israel-amid-war-with-hamas/ar-AA1kppsD
https://indianz.com/News/2023/11/09/native-america-calling-the-native-perspectives-of-the-israel-hamas-war/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

veepfake posted:

This is actually closer to the findings of the APA.

APA Review Confirms Link Between Playing Violent Video Games and Aggression

www.apa.org posted:

WASHINGTON — Violent video game play is linked to increased aggression in players but insufficient evidence exists about whether the link extends to criminal violence or delinquency, according to a new American Psychological Association task force report.

“The research demonstrates a consistent relation between violent video game use and increases in aggressive behavior, aggressive cognitions and aggressive affect, and decreases in prosocial behavior, empathy and sensitivity to aggression,” says the report of the APA Task Force on Violent Media. The task force’s review is the first in this field to examine the breadth of studies included and to undertake multiple approaches to reviewing the literature.

“Scientists have investigated the use of violent video games for more than two decades but to date, there is very limited research addressing whether violent video games cause people to commit acts of criminal violence,” said Mark Appelbaum, PhD, task force chair. “However, the link between violence in video games and increased aggression in players is one of the most studied and best established in the field.”

“No single risk factor consistently leads a person to act aggressively or violently,” the report states. “Rather, it is the accumulation of risk factors that tends to lead to aggressive or violent behavior. The research reviewed here demonstrates that violent video game use is one such risk factor.”

In light of the task force’s conclusions, APA has called on the industry to design video games that include increased parental control over the amount of violence the games contain. APA’s Council of Representatives adopted a resolution at its meeting Aug. 7 in Toronto encouraging the Entertainment Software Rating Board to refine its video game rating system “to reflect the levels and characteristics of violence in games, in addition to the current global ratings.” In addition, the resolution urges developers to design games that are appropriate to users’ age and psychological development, and voices APA’s support for more research to address gaps in the knowledge about the effects of violent video game use.

The resolution replaces a 2005 resolution on the same topic.

The task force identified a number of limitations in the research that require further study. These include a general failure to look for any differences in outcomes between boys and girls who play violent video games; a dearth of studies that have examined the effects of violent video game play on children younger than 10; and a lack of research that has examined the games’ effects over the course of children’s development.

“We know that there are numerous risk factors for aggressive behavior,” Appelbaum said. “What researchers need to do now is conduct studies that look at the effects of video game play in people at risk for aggression or violence due to a combination of risk factors. For example, how do depression or delinquency interact with violent video game use?”

The task force conducted a comprehensive review of the research literature published between 2005 and 2013 focused on violent video game use. This included four meta-analyses that reviewed more than 150 research reports published before 2009. Task force members then conducted both a systematic evidence review and a quantitative review of the literature published between 2009 and 2013. (A systematic evidence review synthesizes all empirical evidence that meets pre-specified criteria to answer specific research questions — a standard approach to summarizing large bodies of research to explore a field of research.) This resulted in 170 articles, 31 of which met all of the most stringent screening criteria.

“While there is some variation among the individual studies, a strong and consistent general pattern has emerged from many years of research that provides confidence in our general conclusions,” Appelbaum said. “As with most areas of science, the picture presented by this research is more complex than is usually included in news coverage and other information prepared for the general public.”

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

If violent video games were to blame we'd see more ripping of spines out of people.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

.95 of psychology is completely made up (increasingly enshittified too); look into the reproducibility crisis, Stanford prison experiment, Kitty Genovese etc.

Did you by any chance look into the study in question before writing off the entire field wholesale? Because at a glance it seems to have pretty solid experimental design and construct validity and I have no reason to doubt the findings, which indicate that video games only encourage aggression in subjects with higher degrees of antisocial behavior at baseline, and this doesn't by necessity translate to violent behavior. It's a really cool read, you should check it out when you're done yelling at people to get off your lawn.

Modal Auxiliary fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 1, 2024

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

G*d willing these fuckers get hit by a stray israeli missile.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
stop this now. school violence is way too serious a topic for discussion ITT.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

AARD VARKMAN posted:

stop this now. school violence is way too serious a topic for discussion ITT.

Okay.

Guitar Center sucks rear end now, they don't even bother to set up most of their guitars. I typically avoid them in favor of my local music store, but GC was the only store in the state that stocked the guitar I wanted to try. I ended up pulling the trigger on it assuming I could fix the action, relief, and intonation myself, but the setup was so much of a nightmare that I ended up taking it back so the tech could fix a bunch of stuff. They charged me full price for the setup despite the fact that I dropped $2k on the guitar. I wish my local music store carried the poo poo I like instead of like 400 equally boring Stratocasters.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":
guitar center has sucked rear end for at least 20 years

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My local Five Below now has half the store partitioned off into Five Beyond, which contains objects that cost more than $5. It's all still a bunch of complete crap though, that hasn't changed.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My local Five Below now has half the store partitioned off into Five Beyond, which contains objects that cost more than $5. It's all still a bunch of complete crap though, that hasn't changed.

it's like if weight watchers added a fast food range called "weight welcomers"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The fate of all value stores. When I was a kid the dollar stores were a crazy cool place to go and find cheap things, now they're all "Everything is a dollar*!..........* or more"

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Montague Tigg posted:

guitar center has sucked rear end for at least 20 years

Yeah, that's about how long it's been since I set foot in one. The tech was really good, at least.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Biplane posted:

I can't fuckin upload images via imgur through the Awful app without linking the accounts which didn't work. So I spent 20 minutes trying to remember my imgur account info to log in via their unbelievably lovely homepage, at which point I find out its been used for years to post pictures of what I assume are russian mail order brides. :psyduck:
E: you can't even upload through their site, it has to be via their app???

You can upload to the imgur website on mobile by requesting the desktop version of the site

E: you don't even need an imgur account

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 1, 2024

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

This thread got shittier when Jack Thompson came in and said that he did his own research and knows better then an entire field of study.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Here's a list of stuff Google got rid of last year. Wonder what 2024 will take from us.
Here’s what Google killed in 2023

www.androidpolice.com - Sun, 31 Dec 2023 posted:

## Starting December: Inactive Google accounts

### 2004-2023

## October 22: Photo Spheres

### 2012-2023

## September 7: Google Domains

### 2014-2023

## August 29: Pixel Pass

### 2021-2023

## August 8: Google Currents

### 2019-2023

## July 19: Album Archive

### 2016-2023

## June 26: YouTube Stories

### 2017-2023

## June 15: Grasshopper

### 2018-2023

## June 13: Assistant Conversational Actions

### 2016-2023

## April 24: Project Jacquard

### 2015-2023

## March 21: Google Street View app

### 2010-2023

## January 18: Google Stadia

### 2019-2023

## January 11: Google OnHub

### 2015-2023

## Google Podcasts is up next

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Chrome no longer shows if I've read a thread or not as of yesterday. Or how many posts are unread, etc.

I guess I'm on Firefox full time now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

mawarannahr posted:

Here's a list of stuff Google got rid of last year. Wonder what 2024 will take from us.

I've only heard of like two or maybe three of these :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Haven't heard of any of them.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

mawarannahr posted:

Speaking of which, what's a relatively not lovely podcast playing app? Google Podcast was actually good, so it's understandable they'd kill it for no reason, but April 1 they're shutting down and I need a new podcast home.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I use Podcast Addict on Android but I very rarely listen to podcasts.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

credburn posted:

I've only heard of like two or maybe three of these :shrug:

That's kind of the point. They make a bunch of poo poo, run it for a couple years, and then dump it. If you were using it, though (a number of these do become popular or find a niche outside of the US), then sorry. That's gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Photo sphere rocked. I checked and it's still on my Pixel 7, but it sounds like they removed it from the Pixel 8. Great reason not to update my phone for a while IMO