Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

repiv posted:

modders only went with source because it was available to them, unreal was still inaccessible to mere mortals at that time

as soon as unreal/unity overhauled their licensing to let people start using it for free it was over for 3rd party use of valves engines

Which is a pity, because Titanfall/Apex are significantly better than the unreal/unity alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

titanfall/apex are good in spite of being derived from source, not because of it lol

respawn ended up rewriting practically every part of the engine that matters, it's effectively an engine tailor made for those games now

and respawn still adopted unreal for their other projects

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'd also say that Valve Time and Valve ADHD didn't help the Source engine.

those didn't help but source was never really developed for third parties to use, features and release timetables were only ever dictated by valves own projects and by all accounts support is basically non-existent even if you pay them to license it

it seems like they've given up on the pretense now since they still haven't released the standalone source 2 SDK to the public, all they've released is the subset for making dota/alyx/cs2 maps

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 31, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Doom 2 is poo poo because Doom 1 is better in every way

Pull up thread you’re about to die from terminal stupid

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Valve/Steam gave you the Half-Life platinum pack for free if you had WON Half-Life installed. It would scan your registry for the key, and if you had it installed gift them to you. Looks like mine activated on 9/19/03, which is right around Steam's 1.0 launch.

I remember not touching Steam much, simply because my main online game of play back then was Natural Selection and that didn't officially support Steam until it's 3.0 betas awhile later.

E: Actually this made me look up when NS1 3.0 betas were released, and it was pretty quick - Jan 2004.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 31, 2023

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
https://github.com/ungstein/OG-Steam

There's for people who want to relive the glory days.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Well I mean it is? If you register any key for a Valve game there's a 90% chance you'll get a giftable key for another Valve game that only somebody who has been living under a rock for the last 20 years doesn't already have.

poo poo, I have had Portal 2 keys sat in my inventory for years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got Portal 2 from buying it on PS3 at launch because Valve would give you a free PC copy for linking your Steam and PSN accounts.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I just wish I could make Steam green again.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlternateAccount posted:

Steam is blue now and you’ll like it that way

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mrs. Slidebite and I got a lifetime Nebula subscription as Xmas presents for ourselves.

We have yet to watch a single loving thing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AlternateAccount posted:

There's a plugin for the Steam Deck that enables custom skins and I think the first skin made for it was a classic green Steam skin.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SH/SC, where the Half-Life franchise is shovelware and Doom 2 is poo poo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doom 3 has more graphics so it's obviously better

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

What graphics? I couldn't see anything!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Quake 4 was the better idtech game of that era

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Former Human posted:

That Tim "Action '@108' Button" Rogers made a three and a half hour long review of DOOM, and comes to the realization that DOOM 2 is just part of DOOM, says everything one needs to know about DOOM 2. Which is that it owns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zduHkwGcc

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Doom 2 is poo poo because Doom 1 is better in every way

I'm scratching my head over this, Doom 1 didn't have the perfection of shotguns in video games that was the Super Shotgun. Was this posted on opposite day and no one told me?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

slidebite posted:

Mrs. Slidebite and I got a lifetime Nebula subscription as Xmas presents for ourselves.

We have yet to watch a single loving thing

Real engineering just released a cool set of videos on the shuttle, you could start there if you want.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

is it an annoying contrarian take to say that these days half life 1 looks way better than half life 2?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

watho posted:

is it an annoying contrarian take to say that these days half life 1 looks way better than half life 2?

It had a more picturesque palette that stands out more than generic ruined city N1001 of HL2.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh god Steam just reminded me that Portal is getting on for 17 years old :gonk:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
i dont get current games that reload textures after you go in and out of a mere menu, like why the gently caress

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Former Human posted:

Shovelware isn't intrinsically bad, I just don't need 13 copies of it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Theophany posted:

Shovelware isn't intrinsically bad, I just don't need 13 copies of it.

The whole point of the term "Shovelware" is that something is bad and its defining characteristic is that it's shoveled onto everything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And also that it was developed as quickly as possible with no concern for quality

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Beve Stuscemi posted:

And also that it was developed as quickly as possible with no concern for quality

So Doom 1 indeed.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Natural Selection

gd NS1 was so fun / hectic

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

simmyb posted:

gd NS1 was so fun / hectic

still my favorite multiplayer game of all-time. i guess tf2 is second.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AKermodeBear/status/1741883477643935964?t=VDETY5dRvGju6EC1bH3kgw&s=19

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I remember getting into the command chair thinking I should give it a shot, accidently microing the players like they were SC marines then getting immediately ejected. I never tried again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

As Seen On LGR™

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ErL39wqO-c

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

https://youtu.be/08mGwpDUxTQ?si=unTsamVgSrA48TCN

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I remember hearing of old CD rom trays snapping off because people thought they were coffee mug trays lol.

Glad to see thermaltake just made one with a cig lighter!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the death of optical drives also killing off wacky bay devices has been a disaster for computing, we need to retvrn

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
buy optical media

or :filez:

I don’t care

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Optical media is going to be one of those things where you turn around one day and find that nobody has a drive in stock and then you do a bit of research and they will have stopped being made five years previously.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Optical media is going to be one of those things where you turn around one day and find that nobody has a drive in stock and then you do a bit of research and they will have stopped being made five years previously.

this is true

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

it's already the case that optical media you've had in storage for years, especially burned media, might be unreadable due to bit-rot if you ever go back to it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I still have a spindle of blank dvd-r discs from Costco that is like 80% full, probably never to be used!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I, for one, and excited for my literal thousands of dollars worth of blu-rays to be completely useless in about 10-15 years.