Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gort posted:

Limit FPS to 60

This doesn't make much of a difference, the simulation speed is still extremely slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Honestly just save/reload diplo plays as-is because there's no really good way to get a feel for who will do what besides vulturing during a world wars. No reason to kill your runs over mercurial AIs

:yeah:

It feels like a huge failure of design compared to all the other Pdox games. It might not be "realistic" that other countries' responses to wars in EU and CK are so predictable, but it makes for a far better, you know, game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It feels like a holy game of strategy game design. Make an AI that a player would see as a dangerous unpredictable actor with a hidden agenda, not a dumb RNG necessitating savescumming. Civ5 did that. It's strange Paradox game is doing that because PDX games demonstrated how interesting can a fully transparent diplomacy be. And it doesn't look like there was a big focus at bringing personalities into the spotlight which could make these considerations interesting (Alexander says he's my friend but I know he loves conquering and he's out of conquering space soon so is the alliance with him going to last?). There are national agendas of course but they're not that useful.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

for the diplo play thing, I actually think there is enough info, but you have to go look for it. In my recent ottomans game, Russia intervened when I tried to annex Serbia. I reloaded the save, looked at the country attitude screen, and sure enough Russia had an extremely protective attitude to Serbia. I think the tooltip even said "very likely to join plays against them". They could put that information right in the screen where you confirm a play, imo. "Countries that are highly likely to join this play against you".

A calculation that shows you how much total infamy you would have after launching a play or adding a wargoal would be great too.

Basically I think pdx should adopt a mindset of trying to present as much useful information as possible at the point where you confirm a decision. Perhaps even add an extra confirmation dialogue on really big things like a law that will cause a revolution or a play that will attract a GP

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

for the diplo play thing, I actually think there is enough info, but you have to go look for it. In my recent ottomans game, Russia intervened when I tried to annex Serbia. I reloaded the save, looked at the country attitude screen, and sure enough Russia had an extremely protective attitude to Serbia. I think the tooltip even said "very likely to join plays against them". They could put that information right in the screen where you confirm a play, imo. "Countries that are highly likely to join this play against you".

A calculation that shows you how much total infamy you would have after launching a play or adding a wargoal would be great too.

Basically I think pdx should adopt a mindset of trying to present as much useful information as possible at the point where you confirm a decision. Perhaps even add an extra confirmation dialogue on really big things like a law that will cause a revolution or a play that will attract a GP

Don't be silly, obviously it should be in five layer deep nested tooltips instead

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I've been trying to form Algeria and man, it seems to have become harder with this last update. Any tips?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I've been trying to form Algeria and man, it seems to have become harder with this last update. Any tips?

I did this pretty recently, though I got very lucky. I started off eating all the other Algerian minors before France got its claws into them then built up a bit to attack Morocco. The luck came in with north Germany actually forming and me spotting a unification play vs France just as it started. I was able to make my own play for all the French land at the same time and just snatch it - the French had no troops spare to send down and oppose me.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

VostokProgram posted:

"The information exists nested 5 tooltips deep" is like, unironically the games biggest problem.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

I absolutely hate local prices with a loving passion, because i have to go around checking every building to see optimal productions. Especially with electricity running around.

Dear paradox, plz give me an optimize button i can click for each industry.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

a button that plays the game for you sounds miserable, just accept some inefficiencies if you’re playing a large nation

however, if they added more ai functions to differing laws so your interest groups change the PMs themselves in non-state controlled industries? that’d be cool and good

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Right, automation is never a solution for such problems. I hesitate to call for any solution that makes production method switch not free or not instant, but automating it is clearly not the way.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

ilitarist posted:

Right, automation is never a solution for such problems. I hesitate to call for any solution that makes production method switch not free or not instant, but automating it is clearly not the way.

The fundamental problem here is that, like with imports/exports, somebody decided that making the player manually check off all the spreadsheet stuff every 10 minutes was a valid substitute for more actually engaging gameplay elements.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

a button that plays the game for you sounds miserable, just accept some inefficiencies if you’re playing a large nation

however, if they added more ai functions to differing laws so your interest groups change the PMs themselves in non-state controlled industries? that’d be cool and good

playing the game should not be tedious then

if local prices are to stick around, I want a map mode where you can choose a trade good, see the local prices for it in every state, and also in that same map mode see the production methods on every building that is related to that good, and be able to change them directly from there.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

embrace some inefficiencies instead, making the perfect super optimal nation is a ridiculous goal to strive for

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I'm just trying to play the game buddy

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

what are you trying to do that necessitates local price optimisation to the degree of switching PMs in each state so much that it becomes tedious

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

playing the game should not be tedious then

if local prices are to stick around, I want a map mode where you can choose a trade good, see the local prices for it in every state, and also in that same map mode see the production methods on every building that is related to that good, and be able to change them directly from there.
Just switch over to the better production method for everything unless it's ridiculously unprofitable and balance things after the fact to support it. The new production method might be slightly better in some provinces and slightly worse in others, but after a little bit of a shock it's always better to have a bigger economy. For instance, maybe this new PM is only profitable in your iron producing provinces right now, but gently caress it, switch over anyway and build more iron mines, which will themselves be more profitable now. It's actually really important to induce demand like this by switching first, even if it's not super profitable, and shoring up resource production later to ensure that the prices and wages stay high for all the industries lower down in the chain.

Naturally this excludes labor saving PMs which are a bit more situational.

You never need to do the kind of micromanagement you're talking about unless your economy isn't constantly growing, in which case you've got bigger issues.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Panama and Suez canal journal decisions appear to be either pretty drat buggy or stupidly unintuitive. I successfully acquired the Panama canal zone, but it has too few pops to work the buildings and satisfy the journal entry, even with subsidies and decades of greener grass campaign. The Suez canal is even worse, with me choosing the option to make the Egyptians an offer and then... nothing happening. No new event, no new journal entry, nada. The French have the Sinai treaty port, which might be complicating matters, but the game doesn't make clear what options I have to address the situation and I suspect I'd be facing another Panama population issue even if I did get it.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

embrace some inefficiencies instead, making the perfect super optimal nation is a ridiculous goal to strive for

That's not a good advice though and it doesn't flattering to the game. Your effectiveness in the game should not be defined by how much you're willing to get bored.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
By the time you have enough tech and industry for there to be any point in changing production methods, the impact of local prices is too small to have a meaningful impact on which production method you should use anyway

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
IMO Eiba's right, I've certainly never had trouble with just microing known problems/operating on a "slam all, accept exceptions list, try slamming all again later" cycle. There's probably an interesting, and possibly even period-appropriate, train of design thought that would lead to economic system laws governing the degree and preferences of AI control in various categories, but it'd be a pretty radical change.

I don't think busywork for minimal effectiveness increase is a failure for V3, though. On the simulationist side it's mostly accurate to the faults of either hands-off or standardization-on-metropole-terms administration through the era, and as game design that ship sailed the second concepts like "experience levels" or "consumables bought with money" sprang into existence.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Panama and Suez canal journal decisions appear to be either pretty drat buggy or stupidly unintuitive. I successfully acquired the Panama canal zone, but it has too few pops to work the buildings and satisfy the journal entry, even with subsidies and decades of greener grass campaign. The Suez canal is even worse, with me choosing the option to make the Egyptians an offer and then... nothing happening. No new event, no new journal entry, nada. The French have the Sinai treaty port, which might be complicating matters, but the game doesn't make clear what options I have to address the situation and I suspect I'd be facing another Panama population issue even if I did get it.

You essentially just have to take the whole state, as currently implemented. Pop in a single province doesn't scale fast enough to support the several hundred capitalists, to say nothing of what happens when you liquidate the capitalist class altogether; there's no "send administrators" policy or decision to hire them directly in the metropole and ship them in (which is something that's also going to become an issue when you're allowed FDI and colonial investments, hopefully the overall fix is coming with that; incidentally for Panama the historical is essentially GAs that worked there but were hired in the US); and there's no option to do a historical Suez where some significant portion of the management was housed in Paris.

On the plus side, iirc the entries are just a token amount of prestige, something which should be near-irrelevant from a gameplay perspective by the time you're in a position to complete either canal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ilitarist posted:

That's not a good advice though and it doesn't flattering to the game. Your effectiveness in the game should not be defined by how much you're willing to get bored.

your effectiveness in any rtwp or turn based game can always be marginally increased by obsessively pausing and adjusting every tiny detail for optimality, this is also true in many real time games but normally you arent afforded the luxury of pausing to do so

if people bemoan that truly optimal play in an economic simulator would involve spreadsheets and constant micro adjustments on trade ratios, they're either not playing the right game for them or they're assuming a need to play a certain way that is antithetical to having fun. i can fully understand optimising the fun out of the game when the optimal option is easy and mindless, but when you're going out of your way to do it then there's a problem

however i do want to say that the trade screen would be a lot better if you had a "cancel all unproductive trade routes" button, since that's usually just a series of clicks with no thought behind them

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

your effectiveness in any rtwp or turn based game can always be marginally increased by obsessively pausing and adjusting every tiny detail for optimality, this is also true in many real time games but normally you arent afforded the luxury of pausing to do so

This is in definition of RTwP games but not turn-based games. RT games are explicitly limiting your ability to micromanage and part of their decision-making process is deciding where your attention is needed most.

An answer "you don't understand, it's supposed to be boring" is better than ask for automation though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

most of the micromanaging you can do in game doesn't actually give you any benefits aside from planning where buildings go when your building an economy from scratch tbh

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

What might also be irritating about this is that production methods are not evocative and not really "real". There's a lot of stuff that is busywork but also makes you see some stuff and get immersed. Victoria 1 had a bullsit POP splitting mechanic but it concerned humans and made you note that you have 39 thousand Mongolian workers, soon you'll be able to split them. In Stellaris telling your exploration ship to go explore is a chore, but it's fun in a way, cause space exploration is in progress. In Victoria 3 I do not autoprogress factories, I take pleasure in ordering 20 more automobile factories there. But changing the production method does nothing for me emotionally. In Victoria 2 region switching to using tractors was an event, and here it's an optimisation problem, tractors flicker in and out of existence as needed.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel this is an issue with games that rely on immersion through mechanics like Paradox games. The game is asking "How do we call a mechanical limit on player actions based on POPs?" instead of saying "A 19th-century game should represent monarchs, parties, revolutionaries and national movements, how do we make mechanics around them?" Production methods, interest groups, and institution development are certainly things that were important in the 19th century but it's not what you'd expect to see among the essentials of the mechanics. It reminds me of how Stellaris switched from tile-based planets to mechanically more complex and interesting planets with districts and buildings. The old system clearly wasn't great, but it allowed me to see little people represented on the surface of a planet and also allowed me to drop some buildings in the right place, which made me feel something. In a newer system of Stellaris, I might be doing fewer clicks and it's better in every other regard, but it makes a spreadsheet look like a spreadsheet while previously it was an inferior spreadsheet looking like a toy planet. Sorry for the rambling, the production methods are not really that big of a deal for me, just raving.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Btw I'm starting to look at getting my first real dedicated gaming computer. I know vicky is very graphics light compared to most contemporary AAA stuff but is there anything I should be shooting for wrt memory, CPU, etc?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Shooting from the hip by phone posting, but the 7800X3D CPU is an absolute darling for Paradox games. GamersNexus also has some turn-time benchmarks about how modern CPUs run in another Paradox games, Stellaris. Depending on budget you might not need to reach for the 7800X3D as cheaper options can get you most of the way there. As far as memory goes, the new AMD platform requires DDR5. From what I remember, AMD CPUs pair best with memory at 6000mhz due to some memory scaling stuff (this should only command a very small premium over slower memory). Be sure to also enable those ram speeds in the BIOS once you build the computer, because they aren’t that speed out of the box for whatever reason.

Proviso that some people are having performance issues with the latest patch so temper your expectations there until it’s fixed.

Someone else can probably shed more light on the specifics. Also important to know that the game is graphically a little beefier than you might expect. My 3070 would choke a bit as I zoomed into urban Germany and the game had to render all the little 3d things. This was back at launch though, maybe it’s fixed?

buglord fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 3, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Definitely go for at least 32GB of RAM, the game itself gets tightly up around 16 by endgame and if it has to swap economic data because Windows/Steam/probably Discord and a browser even for a gaming-only machine are also in there you're looking at around an order of magnitude increase in turn times.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the general thing to keep in mind when looking at simulation games like Victoria 3 is (after getting sufficient RAM) single-core cpu performance. A 4-core with better single core performance will probably run sims faster than a 400-core. This can be difficult to figure out as the labeling schemes of CPU manufacturers are confusing to be generous, and raw clock speed doesn't mean as much as it used to. And any advice you can find on price:performance will often be outdated within months if not weeks as the market shifts.

if i had to pick one right now, it'd probably be an i5-13600. theoretically ryzens should be good at this, but i'm not sure how that worked out in practice.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

buglord is correct you should buy either the 7800X3D or for less money the older 5800X3D, gently caress everything else, paradox games need that cache

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to get away with a bit cheaper stuff but I'll keep the single-core stuff in mind, and definitely see about RAM

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
A 5600x3D is probably the way to go for something midrange, if you can get to a Microcenter

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to get away with a bit cheaper stuff but I'll keep the single-core stuff in mind, and definitely see about RAM

5800X3D isnt a slouch if you arent near a Microcenter (5600X3D is MC only), and you'd be saving a decent chunk of change by going on an older platform (just know that this AM4 platform is at the end of its life, so a new CPU will necessitate an upgrade of motherboard and ram later down the line). I played Vicky at launch with a i7 8700 (a 2017 part) and it was fine until late game, so I think anything recent with the X3D suffix will be fine for you if you wanna stay with the prior gen.

The PC building thread will set you right, too. We get people of varying skill levels there so don't feel weird about asking questions. Just be sure to start off with your budget.

buglord fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jan 3, 2024

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Still playing with a Ryzen 2600 that's the slightly shittier AMD equivalent of that 8700. For perspective, on that at speed 5 it's like 3-5 seconds a tick and responsive menus on the current patch with 64GB RAM; V3 actually made me break down and buy that, because with 16GB 1.0 would regularly beachball for half a minute to a minute between ticks.

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Eiba posted:

Just switch over to the better production method for everything unless it's ridiculously unprofitable and balance things after the fact to support it. The new production method might be slightly better in some provinces and slightly worse in others, but after a little bit of a shock it's always better to have a bigger economy.

Doing this bugs my brain because some of the later methods make less efficient use of input goods than earlier ones, even if they are more efficient per worker and per building. I hate switching to less goods-efficient methods if the input good is already anything above base price.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

CrypticTriptych posted:

Doing this bugs my brain because some of the later methods make less efficient use of input goods than earlier ones, even if they are more efficient per worker and per building. I hate switching to less goods-efficient methods if the input good is already anything above base price.

Efficiency doesn’t matter until you can no longer increase production of the input good. Until then, any increase in input demand or output production is a net bonus to the economy.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Eiba posted:

You never need to do the kind of micromanagement you're talking about unless your economy isn't constantly growing, in which case you've got bigger issues.

I literally constantly had to do this as the new PM could bankrupt some buildings and super charge others.

I was constantly microing PMs for pretty substantial gains to that building.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I literally constantly had to do this as the new PM could bankrupt some buildings and super charge others.

if that one building is a cornerstone of your whole economy that seems like an issue

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

What PM and building was this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I would like to know more about the particulars of your situation because my advice was based on this never having happened to me.

Sometimes when you're booting up an industry from scratch, especially for instance coal in an undeveloped country that can't trade, you'll want to really easy into it one building at a time, carefully kindling your economic engine, but that feels like good meaningful micro to me, and not the constant bullshit being originally described. In most cases you shouldn't have to worry about it. I'm very curious about the cases where that's not the case.