Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Kwolok posted:

I've heard that the bobo vr quest 3 m3 head strap is the best head strap but has some sort of battery issue. Has anyone here used it and have thoughts?

Its great. M2 batteries dont quite keep up with the power draw of the Q3 but its really not a big deal if you have a few or dont need more than extra hour or so from your sessions.

Ive gone through about 3 or 4 different types of straps for my Quests and the Bobo is by far the best Ive used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Gamepad! I've played elite on a controller since release and its way easier than with joystick or keyboard.

Or just map the buttons, that's what the HOTAS is for - it works really well.

Does take a while to do mind you, but I only use the keyboard for on-foot FPS, not even for the main menu or anything.

A simple stick is probably not enough to cover it though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 1, 2024

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Did a pretty cool experiment recently with some wonderful results.

VR is the only consumer device capable of displaying High Frame Rate 4K 3D movies like the theatrical release of Avatar 2.

I have some fairly advanced software called TopazAI you can use to convert frame rates, either for slow mo or interpolation. Think a way way way better version of what the awful motion smoothing does on TVs.

I converted my high quality Avatar 2 3D bluray rip to 60fps and it is incredible. I watch a ton of 3D movies with my friends in VR and its remarkable how good HFR 3D looks in VR. The clarity it provides for motion blur is crazy.

I saw Avatar 2 in HFR several times in theaters and Im not going to lie, I think my conversion beats it. The variable frame rate stuff Cameron chose to do was weird and I think a consistent HFR experience is way better.

I also went and converted a few test scenes from animated movies like How to Train Your Dragon and the results are so amazing I might end up converting a large portion of my 3D blurays to this format.

The only problem being this is going to require several new harddrives, a movie like Way of Water in 60fps 4K 3D will end up being a few hundred gigs from a raw BD source.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

johnny park posted:

Until You Fall is my second favorite "complete" VR game after Alyx. Re: Elite Dangerous, FWIW I tried it in VR and it simply has way too many buttons for me to not be able to look at my keyboard. Maybe if you have a lot of experience playing it and know the control scheme by heart but I couldn't manage it

I had pictures of my HOTAS control scheme pinned to the VR view on ED.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Gamepad! I've played elite on a controller since release and its way easier than with joystick or keyboard.

Depends on what you are after with ED. A friend plays VR ED with dual-handed joysticks and fligh assist off. I assume nothing else provides that kind of flying experience.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Got a Quest 3 coming Jan 3rd. Any recommends for good VR games,

Superhot is pretty dope.

Kwolok posted:

I've heard that the bobo vr quest 3 m3 head strap is the best head strap but has some sort of battery issue. Has anyone here used it and have thoughts?

I've had mine for a day and a half, but its' pretty dope. No battery issues but I haven't played too much. The strap is super comfy.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Novasol posted:

I have it. The battery complainers are idiots - the battery runs out of juice far before the headset. The battery pack will run out while the quest is still at about 90% charge, so unless you're trying to play a 20 hour stretch with 10 battery packs it is never going to matter that the power supplied by the battery is slightly lower than what the Quest 3 uses.

Do you like the headset? Have you tried the standard elite strap to compare it to?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

Best halo style headstrap for sure, and doubly so for battery halo headstraps. Elite style might feel more secure for active games like beat saber, but I couldn't stand the face pressure so halo it is.

If the battery issue is that the batteries only last an hour and a half, well yeah that's true. Quest 3 is pretty much always taking the full 13W these batteries provide, which doing the math is pretty much spot on for the battery capacity.

If it's that the batteries were draining in a half hour, I've never experienced it. My guess this is batteries near end of life or otherwise fuckered.

If it was the Quest 3 draining rapidly even with a battery, I experience this once in the first week of launch, and haven't seen it since. Probably something fixed in the quest firmware, cause I had a lot of updates pushed that first week.

At the end of a 3-4 hour play session, my quest is typically at 60-70%. If I take a break, I just charge using the battery pass through, take off battery, plug battery into charger, connect battery to Q3. Basically can go indefinitely taking 30M breaks every couple of hours, which I need anyway.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Do you like the headset? Have you tried the standard elite strap to compare it to?

Its much better than the elite strap or any similar design. The way the Bobo distributes weight and has the headset more "hanging" in place vs pressing against your face and back of head is immensely more comfortable.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I kinda regret getting the elite strap before seeing what third party options were out there. It doesn't distribute the weight well like AccountSupervisor mentioned, was thinking last night I may get a bobo vr strap as that seems to be most popular.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Bobo definitely seems cool but I worry the headset itself will shift more since it isn't really "clamped on" even though it'll be more comfortable

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Away all Goats posted:

I'm also interested in any multiplayer games that support asymmetric multiplayer; 1 or more VR users versus/with regular PC players. Anything like that?

I haven't managed to wrangle my gaming friends together for a session yet but this looks like exactly what you're looking for and has positive reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1116540/DAVIGO_VR_vs_PC/

PC players get to play for free too, which should help with rounding up a group.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Kwolok posted:

Bobo definitely seems cool but I worry the headset itself will shift more since it isn't really "clamped on" even though it'll be more comfortable

You can clamp it tight if you wish for the same effect as any other purely "clamp" based headstrap. I play very active VR games with the Bobo without any issue.

Id argue even in its looser tightness its as secure as any other clamp headset. The halo strap keeps it secure but with the pressure focused more on the top of your head vs face.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Away all Goats posted:

I'm also interested in any multiplayer games that support asymmetric multiplayer; 1 or more VR users versus/with regular PC players. Anything like that?

Acron (VR vs multiple mobile players on multiple devices)
Takelings (VR vs multiple PC players on one PC)
Panoptic (VR vs one PC player)

No clue if they’re on sale, but they’re worth looking at. We enjoy them all greatly here. Takelings in particular the kids love it if you really lean in to the theatrics.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Kwolok posted:

It's between Aubika and Bobo for best elite style strap.

Aubika has a battery with 8,000 mAh, which will get you just over 2 hours of battery time. This one does 18W charging, so the Quest 3 will have a full battery when the Aubika runs dry. The battery is built in though, so no changing it out.

Bobo m3 mini you can add the battery adapter to use the same Bobo B2 batteries. This one has the neat feature of the non-linear lock so the headset clears most ears, other elites put pressure directly on your ear and it suuuucks after a bit.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

johnny park posted:

Until You Fall is my second favorite "complete" VR game after Alyx. Re: Elite Dangerous, FWIW I tried it in VR and it simply has way too many buttons for me to not be able to look at my keyboard. Maybe if you have a lot of experience playing it and know the control scheme by heart but I couldn't manage it

Until you Fall beats out HL:Alyx in every way as a VR experience.

HL is just a bog standard shooter with a couple "VR" features bolted on. UYF is built as a VR game from the ground up.

It also has more replay value imo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

EbolaIvory posted:

Until you Fall beats out HL:Alyx in every way as a VR experience.

HL is just a bog standard shooter with a couple "VR" features bolted on. UYF is built as a VR game from the ground up.

It also has more replay value imo.

nah

re: UEVR
It's pretty freakin' awesome to just have so much content dumped on all at once like this. It is still early days, it's still requires a ton of computer to run. Lots of people though are already going around and creating profiles and settings for games too, like it's becoming a game to see.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Is there a spot where people are uploading premade profiles yet for UEVR?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Poldarn posted:

Superhot is pretty dope.

I've had mine for a day and a half, but its' pretty dope. No battery issues but I haven't played too much. The strap is super comfy.

Wintermutant posted:

I haven't managed to wrangle my gaming friends together for a session yet but this looks like exactly what you're looking for and has positive reviews:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1116540/DAVIGO_VR_vs_PC/

PC players get to play for free too, which should help with rounding up a group.

Bad Munki posted:

Acron (VR vs multiple mobile players on multiple devices)
Takelings (VR vs multiple PC players on one PC)
Panoptic (VR vs one PC player)

No clue if they’re on sale, but they’re worth looking at. We enjoy them all greatly here. Takelings in particular the kids love it if you really lean in to the theatrics.

I forgot about superhot. And the rest look great, thanks!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Bondematt posted:

Is there a spot where people are uploading premade profiles yet for UEVR?

Discord which sucks for it but hey: It's where they are now.

https://discord.gg/4dtU4thZ

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

KakerMix posted:

Discord which sucks for it but hey: It's where they are now.

https://discord.gg/4dtU4thZ

Boo but also thanks!

Edit: Dang, Satisfactory is only KB & Mouse or Gamepad for now. Looks like someone is working on a config for VR controls, so hoping that actually works out.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 1, 2024

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Kwolok posted:

I haven't tried the official strap, but BoboVR's strap is an absolutely massive improvement over the stock one. The weight is balanced really well, it doesn't slip, and it's comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Highly recommended.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Yeah. Truth hurts.

Its pretty. But its a step backwards in HL progression with things like physics and poo poo. The fact you couldn't pick up a pipe/crowbar in the start and break boards off the doorway like you could in the previous game is just one of many things they went backwards on.

I went into HL : Alyx wanting to love it. I ended up finding it to be mediocre as hell.

Theres also a dozen other games in VR that are more fun, and more VRish or whatever.

Like its fine. Its not a bad game. But the meat riding over it is stupid.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The end sequence where you go in as a pissed off witch slinging retribution left and right is pretty gd rad

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

johnny park posted:

I haven't played it in awhile, but Asgard's Wrath 2 has been making me mostly just crave Until You Fall. I wish the combat in AW2 were just a ripoff of that game, tbh. The blocking in AW2 is so janky and unreliable by comparison.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

johnny park posted:

VoiceAttack is a good app for offloading infrequently used inputs to voice commands. VR dogfighting in E:D is great, but I don't think I'd use VR for exploration or hauling where you mostly just look at the jump or supercruise display.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe
Until You Fall is a Wii launch game. There's nothing VR about it. Every time someone praises it in this thread I think they must have just played it for a 30 minute session, wrote a glowing review, and then never touched it again (like 99% of all VR reviews on Steam).

quote:

The fact you couldn't pick up a pipe/crowbar in the start and break boards off the doorway like you could in the previous game is just one of many things they went backwards on.

And what immersive, only-possible-in-VR things can you do in UYF? Waggle in a slashing pattern? Hold your controller to match a prompt?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's almost like people like different things and someone's idea of fun is subjective or something but.. no that can't be right.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Would love to know what makes until you fall a wii launch title. Is beat saber a wii launch title?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Kwolok posted:

Would love to know what makes until you fall a wii launch title. Is beat saber a wii launch title?

All you do is move your hands around, I could just load up music on youtube and wave my hands around in the air and get the same experience!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
hes right that if youve played a bunch of vr games theres nothing particularly ground breaking about alyx and yeah i wish physics objects could do damage but what it does do better than any game on the market still is really focus on immersion. it took me like two weeks to get up the courage to beat the jeff part even though its all just light and it cant hurt me. they do lots of squiky stuff where you have to put your hand near something gross that also got me.

they really more than any developer think about first person immersion and how to guide the player through in world queues. portal 2 is, with a hack, already completely vr ready

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

also im fully convinced from the ending of alyx that half life 3/episode 3 will be a vr only title, once they figure out how to make the crowbar feel good

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I don't necessarily agree that Until You Fall is a more immersive game than Alyx but it's still a well made, pretty fun game that's easy to pick up and the goon standard disingenuous boiling down of a game to it's core gameplay elements to explain why actually that thing you like is bad and everyone here is wrong is tiresome.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
my VR titles must be ~INNOVATIVE~ otherwise it doesn't count as VR!!!

Anyways UEVR is pretty neat, I've messed with it a bit with a few games I already own and it's remarkable how easy it is. It isn't easy easy but it is easy if you've modded things and have a basic understanding of of VR gets to your eyes through the headset. New games are being tested and added to the list, especially weirdo 2D ish type games and strategy games, stuff that will absolutely never be made by Meta and their "lets kill game studios" outlook.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

my VR titles must be ~INNOVATIVE~ otherwise it doesn't count as VR!!!

Anyways UEVR is pretty neat, I've messed with it a bit with a few games I already own and it's remarkable how easy it is. It isn't easy easy but it is easy if you've modded things and have a basic understanding of of VR gets to your eyes through the headset. New games are being tested and added to the list, especially weirdo 2D ish type games and strategy games, stuff that will absolutely never be made by Meta and their "lets kill game studios" outlook.

what ive learned about uevr is that not a ton of games use Unreal 4 and 5 that i want to play, but a ton of them are on UE3 lol.

the other thing ive learned is that jrpgs are surprisingly fun in vr. ive always stalled out playing trials of mana (probably because i played a lot of that ips patched sieken densetsu 3 rom that was going around) but in vr its hard to explain exactly but the cutscenes are way more dynamic and interesting in vr, so im actually making progress

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

call me when UE1 and UE2 games are available in VR

I need to get sick from the skybox spinning on Facing Worlds

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey VR thread - have a question. I bought a PSVR2 for GT7 and love it, so decided to take the plunge on my PC for more racing goodness. I tried out a Quest 3 demo unit and was impressed with the lenses and passthrough. Much larger sweet spot than the PSVR2. So I want pancake lenses. Looking at my options it seems limited to the Quest 3 and the Bigscreen Beyond - am I missing some? Problem with the latter is I can't get it until March/April (according to them) and since it's custom fit my kids can't really use it which isn't great. This is strictly for PCVR, don't care about untethered use, this is for zooming pretend cars around at high speeds.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Hey VR thread - have a question. I bought a PSVR2 for GT7 and love it, so decided to take the plunge on my PC for more racing goodness. I tried out a Quest 3 demo unit and was impressed with the lenses and passthrough. Much larger sweet spot than the PSVR2. So I want pancake lenses. Looking at my options it seems limited to the Quest 3 and the Bigscreen Beyond - am I missing some? Problem with the latter is I can't get it until March/April (according to them) and since it's custom fit my kids can't really use it which isn't great. This is strictly for PCVR, don't care about untethered use, this is for zooming pretend cars around at high speeds.

Quest 3 is the most well supported headset. Even if you plan to only use it for PCVR, there may be other native Quest apps you'd be interested in. Non gaming apps too.

Not sure if you have a racing wheel, but a lot of the racing sims on steam don't work well with a gamepad.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I beat Assassin's Creed Nexus yesterday. I hadn't played a game actually running on the Quest since RE4, and I wanted to see what the Quest 3 could do. Performance-wise, it wasn't great. I don't mind games not being a constant 120 fps, but they should be more or less constant where ever they are. AC was constantly stuttering and hiccupping. It was really distracting, and I imagine it can cause people without VR legs to get sick. There were also a bunch of weird bugs like quest markers disappearing, NPCs jittering around, and enemies making their way out of bounds or ignoring gravity when they happened to walk off a ledge.

Gameplay was decently fun. The parkour system took me a few missions to get the hang of. 95% of the time, it worked great and felt really cool. But 5% of the time, your character forgets they're supposed to jump or they throw themselves anywhere but the ledge you were aiming for. That 5% jank was annoying enough that I didn't really end up exploring the locations, and I pretty much ignored all the collectables. My favorite moments of the game where when they really focused on stealth. I found the wrist blade a little awkward and ended up shoving instead of stabbing people half the time, so I mostly used throwing knives. It was really satisfying sneaking around, throwing a knife or two, and recovering knives from people's backs since you have a very limited supply. It really makes me want more good immersive sims in VR.

The locations are pretty impressive for the Quest hardware. Lots of detail and NPC crowds. Each area is surrounded by invisible walls, and I ran into them a few times while being chased by guards. I think they should have leaned more on smaller areas than the illusion of an entire city. You can walk up to the Rialto Bridge, but you can't step foot on it!

Some unsorted story spoilers:
-It was cool to see Kassandra again, but every character's story felt like a low-stakes side quest. Maybe because you're jumping from character to character, but it was difficult to care about or keep track of some of the stories and side characters.
-It was hilarious when your cover is blown and the Brotherhood has to hide you somewhere that the Templars won't look. And they just put you in the next memory from where you left off.
-The ending is pretty unsatisfying. I didn't expect Ubisoft to wrap up the series or anything, but this one didn't need to end on a cliffhanger. But the last scene does do something cool with AR. You leave the animus system and are back at your place, which is your AR area with some HUD elements. Your Brotherhood bros are yelling that the Templars know where you are and you need to get out of there, then you hear someone physically breaking in, and, after a moment, a hand from behind grabs you. Makes me want some legit horror games using AR like that. Maybe something like Welcome to the Game would work

Overall, I would give it a B-. And that's graded on a VR curve.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Quest 3 is the most well supported headset. Even if you plan to only use it for PCVR, there may be other native Quest apps you'd be interested in. Non gaming apps too.

Not sure if you have a racing wheel, but a lot of the racing sims on steam don't work well with a gamepad.

Thanks that's what I figured - yeah I have a wheel rig setup. Looks like I'm getting a Quest 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

squirrelzipper posted:

Thanks that's what I figured - yeah I have a wheel rig setup. Looks like I'm getting a Quest 3.

I'd go quest 3 as well, but the bigscreen is worth looking into if you have the budget for it.

You need SteamVR base stations, controllers, and an audio solution, but it's probably the best seated headset right now. It'd be them or one of the Pimax offerings, not sure who wins out there.