Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
patty and selma adopted a chinese baby but the baby doesnt do anything and is now older than maggie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

mfw i am reading the simpsons wiki page for ling bouvier

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Season 9 sucks

the funniest parts are the songs from earlier seasons in the musical clip show

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Greg12 posted:

Season 9 sucks

the funniest parts are the songs from earlier seasons in the musical clip show

It’s the Armin Tamzarian episode that really cements how much it went off the rails, and season 8 was already getting shaky. I say seasons 1-7 are variably golden and 8’s when it should have packed it in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Season 8 is my favorite. 9 is mostly good too imo.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Hasturtium posted:

It’s the Armin Tamzarian episode that really cements how much it went off the rails, and season 8 was already getting shaky. I say seasons 1-7 are variably golden and 8’s when it should have packed it in.

Scrolling through season 8 eps and the Mary Poppins ep was weak but other than that rock solid. I think season 9’s “All Singing, All Dancing” was one of the first I watched during the original airing & got annoyed by the dip in quality.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t really care for the Helen Hunt and Jay Leno episodes either but even those have their moments, like Krusty bombing with outdated racist comedy.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t really care for the Helen Hunt and Jay Leno episodes either but even those have their moments, like Krusty bombing with outdated racist comedy.

I mean that episode has the loving Canyonero. Quality dips, sure, but it's still a far cry from modern Simpsons. Maybe call it a silver age?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Season 8 is great and season 9 is very good

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Ror posted:

mfw i am reading the simpsons wiki page for ling bouvier

God drat, that is miserable. “Look, we’ve created a character whose sole purpose is to be driven into the ground by the misanthropic evil of her adoptive mothers, so laugh,” gently caress outta here

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Nobody ever talks about that Season 6 episode where Marge is a cop, and sometimes I have to double check it really happened

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

vegetables posted:

Nobody ever talks about that Season 6 episode where Marge is a cop, and sometimes I have to double check it really happened

That's the episode that carhole comes from.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Well Marge quits the force because the cops are a bunch of corrupt pigs, which is the correct takeaway, thus a good episode

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

vegetables posted:

Look, Lisa, it’s McGriff the crime dog.

I always think that episode is from season 8 or 9 for some reason.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's as early as season 4 that the plot descriptions start to sound like nonsense bullshit like they do today. The key difference is that they're really funny and have heart and soul.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

vegetables posted:

they knew what they were doing

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Y- yes. They knew what they were doing. It was The Simpsons.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL I remember being a bit miffed at the Conan O'Brien era at times, because the show became so absurd compared to the more "serious" early seasons.

I was wrong.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

redshirt posted:

LOL I remember being a bit miffed at the Conan O'Brien era at times, because the show became so absurd compared to the more "serious" early seasons.

I was wrong.

let's look at marge vs. the monorail:
somewhat arbitrary and absurd premise
musical number thrown in
celebrity guest star playing himself (who even lampshades that he contributes very little to the plot!)

all features that contribute to some of the worst episodes of the modern era. but the simpsons still had the mandate of heaven then, and so shrugs off such criticism

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

https://scontent-lhr8-1.cdninstagra...sid=10d13b&dl=1

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

musical number thrown in
celebrity guest star playing himself (who even lampshades that he contributes very little to the plot!)

all features that contribute to some of the worst episodes of the modern era. but the simpsons still had the mandate of heaven then, and so shrugs off such criticism

Indeed. But it's also fantastically funny. So there's that....

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

According to my calculations, monorail episode is bad simpsons

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You jest, but graphing audience ratings and distilling them down to "good episode trait" vs "bad episode trait" checklists is extremely executive accurate.

Why Marvels fail? Is it woman?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So The Simpsons "went woke" sometime around season 10? Finally things are starting to make sense.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

The Moon Monster posted:

So The Simpsons "went woke" sometime around season 10? Finally things are starting to make sense.

sounds like somebody needs to watch S28E19 “The Caper Chase” where Mr Burns, the POV character who we all are meant to empathize with, goes to Yale and is disgusted to learn that the students there are all “entitled wusses” and later Homer destroys a bunch of woke robots through the power of micro aggressions

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Tree Goat posted:

musical number thrown in

its because that episode was funny as hell and had writers who knew how to make those elements work

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I rewatched the monorail episode, and I looked for some details about the scientist guy Marge found in North Haverbrook, only to find out that they brought him back and killed him (presumed I guess) in 2017, in an episode called The Old Blue Mayor She Ain't What She Used to Be.

Weird episode. it starts out where the town built a park on top of the disused monorail track (like NYC did for an old decommissioned elevated railtrack), whereupon the old train activates and destroys everything, culminating in the train dropping on top of a statue commemorating Leonard Nimoy. At the press conference afterward, Mayor Quimby mocks Marge misogynistically, leading to Marge deciding to run for Mayor, in a sequence where the VA may not be too old yet, but Marge trying to sing her jingle sounds really awful. After becoming mayor, she is immediately unable to fulfill her one and only campaign promise of putting out the tire fire because of a man who runs a souvenir stand for the tire fire standing in the way of the bulldozers and firetrucks. Marge eventually falls back on making fun of Homer to maintain public support, ruining their marriage. She goes to get advice from the retired Quimby, only to find him happy with his retirement, newly faithful to his wife. He says that the Mayor job is naturally bad for marriages. Marge goes to her next appointment to christen a manhole, and shocks the crowd by declaring her love for Homer.

It's a whole big thing where I guess they wrote a whole episode about their expectations for Hillary Clinton to get elected and fail on some early promises, and then they kept making the episode after the election. (This came out in November, they had plenty of time to scrap it). The one funny bit was when Homer got hit with a harpoon and flopped about like a whale.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

I thought it was easily the Furious D episode with the elf jockeys

great username
Dec 28, 2023

By the way, has anyone tried to stomach the Elon Musk vanity episode since he showed his entire rear end in a top hat and grundle to the universe?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I am working on a critical review of "Homer goes to Space", also will tie it to a moon project grant pitch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

sounds like somebody needs to watch S28E19 “The Caper Chase” where Mr Burns, the POV character who we all are meant to empathize with, goes to Yale and is disgusted to learn that the students there are all “entitled wusses” and later Homer destroys a bunch of woke robots through the power of micro aggressions

The bougie-ness of modern Simpsons is maybe the single worst thing about it. I guess it's the only way their bigass house really makes sense.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The secret is that most people don't care about your entertainment product's politics as long as it is also, you know, actually entertaining. Marvel's not going broke because they went woke, it's just that they've released almost nothing but garbage for years now. And similarly, modern Simpsons could easily get away with its half-hearted 'anti-woke' message if it was still good. But it's not, and the intended message becomes just another thing for people to pick apart.

What I'm saying is make good movies and shows, not bad ones. I have much more excellent advice where that came from, hire me if you need a consultant

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

happy 50th anniversary on marge and homer's high school graduation

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

great username posted:

I thought it was easily the Furious D episode with the elf jockeys

This is only something you can say if that was the last episode you watched.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Family sat through the Jockey episode but called it quits with the Tony Hawk episode. A lot of people stopped there I think

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just want to say that the town sign "Sprynge-Fielde: First Toil, Then the Grave" in the puritan parody halloween episode is up there with "I call the big one bitey" as one of the best lines in the whole show

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
something can have every Hallmark of modern simpsons and still be funny. Meanwhile the first two seasons were (more) grounded and realistic with strong characters and had heart but just weren't that funny compared to seasons 3-9.

I think the delivery is a big one. Line delivery and timing in those seasons was impeccable. Modern simpsons (and modern comedy in general, imo) has lovely delivery and timing.

I mean look at these. They're perfect.

https://youtu.be/S_DtkbHfTcM?si=l92GVUPRORxhCdnT

https://youtu.be/uAf_tMxc2RA?si=gaUdhzwLDgrKpyvR

Writers stopped caring about that, and the actors are getting old and can't do the same readings they used to.

I'm imagining those scenes in modern simpsons and all other things being equal, they'd be much, much worse.

Cosmik Debris fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 2, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the jockey episode is the first episode i remember thinking was bad i kept watching for a few more seasons

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The first two seasons, they didn't let any of the jokes breathe, because apparently Bart going "don't have a cow, man" was so revolutionary that you didn't need to actually have comedic beats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I think I laughed hardest when marge walked away without saying anything the second the bees arrived, modern simpsons can't reach one tenth that level of restraint