Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you! I will think on if I want to spend that cash for the LW story... and I'll play more just to, y'know, play more. :v:

Also, definitely join GOON. I don't think the guild needs anything, but there are occasional requests for assistance in guild chat.

We do a couple world bosses at daily reset if you're on NA servers.

And for your personal benefit there are buffs that only come from a guild merchant and gathering nodes in the guild hall you can hit daily. Plus it's a free teleport to Path of Fire if you do buy the expacs.

MajorBonnet fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you! I will think on if I want to spend that cash for the LW story... and I'll play more just to, y'know, play more. :v:

If I remember it right the 3&4 seasons are after Hot&PoF. If you stick to story and don't grind or anything you might have to buy them, if you go for maxing those maps you can make a lot of gold off of them and core story to buy LW maps. Catgirl Al Capone isn't joking about the difficulty jump to expansions. HoT maps love to poo poo on you until you figure out how to avoid and wreck packs of mobs. I'd say it's even worth jumping ahead enough to unlock a griffon or skyscale to ease avoiding them when you don't want to fight.

HoT&PoF for 7.50 is a solid grab, but i haven't looked at the big packages since I already have those.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

3) Complete does not have the latest expansion, Secrets of the Obscure, but has everything else. There's also the option of buying the non-complete collection to have the first 3 expansions and getting the Living World episodes through converting gold you earn in-game to gems. If you want to unlock the whole LW story this way it is a LOT of gold though, iirc significantly more than you'd spend buying a legendary weapon off the trading post.

is it? there's 6 in season 3 and 5(?) in season 4... 2200 gems is like less than 1000 gold if I did 17g for 40gem x 5 coming to about 85g for 200 gem for the 11, but I probably am missing on which ones I got free on release... so yea, never mind me. Happy new year.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

nesamdoom posted:

HoT&PoF for 7.50 is a solid grab, but i haven't looked at the big packages since I already have those.

I've been very tempted to pick this up for my Heroic alt account because it's so cheap just so it has a raptor when I want to do dailies on it or whatever.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

4) I don't play with the goon guild but the info for Goon Squad is in the OP. Usually guilds that have been around a long time are mostly set but appreciate donations of gold and ascended feasts and stuff. All the guilds I've been in love helping and playing with newbies and I don't imagine Goon Squad is any different.

Oh poo poo, really? I mastered cooking several years ago when I was playing with friends and some exfriends but stopped having people to share feasts with. Maybe I can donate the extras sitting in my inventory and make some more.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Oh poo poo, really? I mastered cooking several years ago when I was playing with friends and some exfriends but stopped having people to share feasts with. Maybe I can donate the extras sitting in my inventory and make some more.

yeah if a guild actively does endgame content and draws food from their guild bank they'll run through their stacks of feasts pretty fast. i don't know if every guild has item donation permissions set for basic members but if not you can always mail them to an officer to store away.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
gently caress yeah. I'll just have to finish all this updating first. 171k files to go...

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I don't even know who has permission to drop food for GOON and I don't think anyone has ever intentionally dropped food, so keep that in mind.

StrixNebulosa posted:

1) Is there a guide for the best story play order? I am interested in reading as much cat lore as possible.

Most of the Charr lore in the core/f2p game is going to be in the level 10 and 20 personal stories, along with all the Ascalon zones (east side of the world map). For 30, if you want a charr buddy, pick the order of whispers. Outside of the core story, big point of interest is the Icebrood story (LS5/IBS), lots of cat stuff there, and also LS4 Chapter 2 for secret cat stuff, but a LOT of stuff happens between the end of the core story and those chapters. Probably would want to play the HoT and PoF expansions first so it's not as much of a shock.

quote:

4) With the understanding that I'll be playing randomly and might adhd my way away, is there a way to contribute to a guild or goons? I like helping others and would be down to grind bear asses occasionally for goons.

[GOON] doesn't need your gold or resources, but other guilds may need help with their guild halls or decorations or whatever.

Since basically everything you do gives you some sort of reward (experience, drops, karma, gold...) and everyone gets rewards for participating, helping others is usually beneficial to all parties involved, so don't be afraid to ask for help with a group event or a story thing or whatever. Often groups are formed to tackle instanced group content (dungeons, fractals (mini dungeons), raids, strikes (raids but just the bosses)) or for the large open world meta events, so keep an ear out. Dungeons and Fractals are available as a F2P

Pryce
May 21, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

If $50 doesn't sound crazy to you, that IS a really good deal. It gets you three expansions plus all the LWs, along with 2 max-level boosts and 2 shared inventory slots. If you're nervous about the cash, definitely don't feel like you have to pay for any of that for now and just enjoy the ride to 80.

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
One thing I learnt a little late from when I first started: Don't sell equipment or crafting materials to merchants - always check the trading post first.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I was not expecting the weekly winter festivity achievement to be available for this week as well, so i didn’t even check when i logged on today.
Only by chance, right before i logged off, i got progress on the daily kill champ achievement, so i checked the achievement menu and there it was; a brand spanking new instance of the weekly.

Im generally not much of a grinder nor the biggest fashion wars warrior, but the solstice weapon skins from the weekly looks amazing and i have grinded out all 3 previous weeklies.

Shame about missing out on a 5th skin, as as far as i understand it dissapears on the daily reset on the 2nd of january, which is like a couple of hours away.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
The best advice I ever heard for once you hit 80 : don't buy named exotic gear on the trading post "berserkers chest of awesome". Instead, find those stats : power, ferocity, precision : and search for those in the trading post menu. ( Exotic, level 80, those 3 main stats, etc) Instead of spending 5 gold or so per equipment slot, you can find ones that are anywhere from 5 percent to 25 percent of that depending on the slot ( armor is more expensive, weapons are usually very cheap).

Also, join goon guild and the goon discord. If you have questions, ask them here, there or just in general in game. People are usually super helpful, even if you don't know the right questions or don't know what you don't know.

Also, the story gets better once you finish the core campaign! It gets less "cutscene-y" and more interactive.

The only classes I would gently steer people away from as a fresh newbie is thief and elementalist, and possibly Mesmer and warrior. At least for me, those classes tend to feel clunky without the elite specializations.

My suggestions for newbies is : necromancer for playing the campaign ( this is my personal favorite suggestion) but ranger is also fun and forgiving, especially if you use a shortbow or axe instead of a longbow. I now recommend Hammer guardian, since the new buff to attack speed and symbols..you can do some serious damage now with little.kore than auto attacks. Engineer with mechanist ( end of dragons elite specialization) will let you solo most things in the game easily.

Also there are some great content creators on YouTube for build crafting and general content, but the TL;DR for builds is: pick power damage or condition damage and try to focus that. Most weapons will have one specialization for a given profession/class, so as a necromancer a scepter will be a condition weapon ( it makes things bleed ) but a great sword is traditionally a power damage weapon ( no real conditions, just a lot of strike damage).

Most classes can do both, and feel free to play around and see what you like best. Just keep in mind some parts of the story campaign will have boxes, crates, totems,etc that you have to destroy that will be immune to condition damage, but it won't be a deal breaker, and most breakable things in the later maps are conditionable.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Any newbies reading - take it slow & explore a lot, I've been saying this for 11 years and it's still true - even on on the core starter maps I still find stuff or event chains I've never seen before. It's a game perfect for exploring & noodling about. Explore around, that cave? Go on in. Might be a jumping puzzle or it might be a troll nest with a chest. Map completion (doing all the hearts, points of interest & hero points) gets you chances for keys, and gets you some materials and also a supply of armour transmute blobs if you don't get the key, plus tonnes of xp.

also lol my starter back in the day (like a month after launch) was a squishy lil ele bc nobody was around to tell me how often I'd die (which was very often) also if you do join Goon and are missing a bit of gear just say what you need in guild chat they're really generous folk & a bunch of us been playing for yonks & can afford to send u cool stuff :D So is everyone else tbh, I once apologised in map chat that the reason I sucked at the event I was trying to help with was bc I had only a lovely underwater weapon (back when they were expensive and I was new & broke) and someone fully mailed me an exotic.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
Gonna pick up this game and try it with my wife knowing basically nothing except the last couple of pages of goon posts. In we go!

DoNotFeedTheBear
Sep 13, 2007
Less useful for story stuff, but if you ever get stuck on an open world event or hero point and need some help, or need advice on something - ask in map chat. The vast majority of people are super helpful and like interacting with others.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

40 Proof Listerine posted:

What kinda spec are you using with the hammer? I stumbled into a Dawn exotic greatsword and have been using that for a while and hammer sounds like a pretty mobile change of pace.

i went dragonhunter because it has the most percent damage increases (so my Damage™ went Up™) and because when i went a-raiding on the core build my group for the day wasn't providing resolution, which was an absolutely critical part of the core setup. DH does less overall but also doesn't require an external, potentially absent boon

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, brand new, BRAND new newbie poking her head in to see if this game is for her. Forty minutes in and I like it so far - I'm a cat necromancer, I'm helping other cats out, it feels satisfying to play and explore.

1) Is there a guide for the best story play order? I am interested in reading as much cat lore as possible.

2) I usually prefer to play solo, is there anything I should be aware of while aiming for this? (i.e. "hire henchlings at this office you missed" type advice)

3) What's the best way to buy the complete package? This deal here? https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/complete-collection I should stick to F2P stuff for a while, but I'm enjoying the steam xmas sale spirit and would be happy to toss them money for something I can play on and off throughout the year. (The no subscription fee is doing wonders for my brain, I hated getting guilted into playing more ffxiv because I paid for the month.)

4) With the understanding that I'll be playing randomly and might adhd my way away, is there a way to contribute to a guild or goons? I like helping others and would be down to grind bear asses occasionally for goons.

1. not really. there are some things you unlock in expansion zones that are pretty neat (glider for gliding, bunny/springer mount for jumping very high) but they happen quite early and are worth getting

2. you picked necromancer which is the premiere solo class, good job. join guild and talk to goons about builds and gear, there are a few pitfalls that people fall into all the time (e.g incomplete gear, non-berserker stats, using minions)

3. yeah buy the complete pack, you don't have context for the amount of stuff you're getting but it is substantial enough to be worth the $50 tag. and no sub fee means you can show up or dip out whenever you want. it rules

4. in the way you are describing, no not really

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hello, brand new, BRAND new newbie poking her head in to see if this game is for her. Forty minutes in and I like it so far - I'm a cat necromancer, I'm helping other cats out, it feels satisfying to play and explore.

2) I usually prefer to play solo, is there anything I should be aware of while aiming for this? (i.e. "hire henchlings at this office you missed" type advice)

3) What's the best way to buy the complete package? This deal here? https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/complete-collection I should stick to F2P stuff for a while, but I'm enjoying the steam xmas sale spirit and would be happy to toss them money for something I can play on and off throughout the year. (The no subscription fee is doing wonders for my brain, I hated getting guilted into playing more ffxiv because I paid for the month.)

Hope you enjoy your time with the game! My only real advice is just enjoy your time with the base game first to decide if you want to go beyond that. PvE has plenty of this but there's also PvP and WvW which may or may not appeal to you as competitive modes. My advice on WvW would simply be to use ranged attacked and run with groups as best you can to get credit and loot, tho one of the greatest sins of the game is how loot is just 99% junk to clog your inventory and annoy you to the point of spending actual money on upgrades.

With regards to PvE, you can honestly get away with any class/build basically which is nice and the game itself lends itself to open world so well you'll never have to actually party with anyone to level and enjoy yourself, thankfully. GW2 also has probably the nicest community I've ever seen in a MMO and it's super easy to find aid in nearly any event.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

DoNotFeedTheBear posted:

Less useful for story stuff, but if you ever get stuck on an open world event or hero point and need some help, or need advice on something - ask in map chat. The vast majority of people are super helpful and like interacting with others.

I get help this way a lot and fly off to help whenever people need. It's never fun getting stunned/thrown around by a target when 2-3 people could just melt it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

my wife knowing basically nothing

We can swap wives for a while.

Mine knows everything.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
My advice to newbies is to do what you enjoy and skip what you don't. This applies to leveling and doing the story, along with everything else. Both are pretty much optional, outside of a few story instances that unlock character features. Teleport to friend tokens can bypass the need to do the story to access zones, and later you'll get access to all sorts of account bound teleport scrolls for alts.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

where the red fern gropes posted:

2. you picked necromancer which is the premiere solo class, good job. join guild and talk to goons about builds and gear, there are a few pitfalls that people fall into all the time (e.g incomplete gear, non-berserker stats, using minions)

I'm going to disagree with the bolded bit while leveling, especially while learning the game. It lets you not worry about your utilities as much, they do good damage to anything attacking you, and most importantly for learning the game, they soak up damage. Some of the story missions especially are absolute bullshit for a character wearing whatever random gear they have at level 40, and having minions to distract the hordes of monsters is very helpful.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Welcome. o/

If you're brand new, Mighty Teapot, a GW2 content creator, made a quick and straight forward video for new players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiUNpI9Br3c

Another great newer Youtuber is Caffeinated Dad, especially because he's more casual and less hardcore, he just published this new player guide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBLZL7pE3kM

A lot of good information in this one.

Other Youtuber folks to check out are Laranity and Mukluk, both have extensive video guides on content as you begin progressing.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 2, 2024

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Oh my goodness, thank you. I know goons are always happy to share info and welcome new players to games they're playing, but I think this might be the largest "omg new person here's all the relevant info" I've ever seen. :kimchi:

While I sort through the info and play - here's a gacha-brained question. Are there any dailies or weeklies I should be aware of? F2P games loooove to lock a lot of useful stuff behind those and through the information deluge I don't think I saw any, but might as well ask!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Yes there are both dailies and weeklies. They award currency for the Wizard Vault - sort of a battle pass system, only without the bad (no FOMO and no paid track). Most of the rewards are cosmetic but there are also some usable materials and raw gold to be had.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Yes there are both dailies and weeklies. They award currency for the Wizard Vault - sort of a battle pass system, only without the bad (no FOMO and no paid track). Most of the rewards are cosmetic but there are also some usable materials and raw gold to be had.

Where are those and how do I get them done?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

StrixNebulosa posted:

It should unlock once you reach level 80 on any character. From there it's pretty self explanatory.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
Also: unless you're really confident that you're going to want to do a bunch of PvP or WvW, only select the PvE objectives when given the option. You don't get more options by selecting the others; they just dilute the pool. And the PvE objectives are usually braindead easy.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

StrixNebulosa posted:

It doesn't unlock until a character hits level 80 (after which it's account wide, even lower levels, I believe), then the game should wave a big flashy thing at you. It's accessed via the last button on the top left, the triangle thingy, and should be pretty self explanatory from there although you might occasionally need to google a task to figure out some of the more specific "do this activity" type ones. Make sure to tick PvE and untick WvW and PvP in the desired task types thing, at least until you've worked out if you like those modes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Perfect, thank you! I won't rush it then, level 80 is a long ways off.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Deformed Church posted:

It doesn't unlock until a character hits level 80 (after which it's account wide, even lower levels, I believe)

Oh, I had no idea that was the case.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

StrixNebulosa posted:

Perfect, thank you! I won't rush it then, level 80 is a long ways off.

It's not that far off. Most of the game really only starts at the level cap.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you have/get any xpacs I'd recommend burning a level 80 boost on someone to unlock the raptor and wizard vault account wide. Don't even need to play the character right away, but the raptor is a massive qol boost and you get a good number of wizbucks rewards from just playing. Also get a few 15 slot bags which is nice when starting out

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think you just get the raptor at 10 now.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
New players may want to check this out, it's one of the Achievements called the Adventure Guide. Nice way to gain a ton of experience and discover things within the game.

Teapot describes it well below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQxprSUtuHw&t=418s

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

For me, those achievements are a reminder of how much I've neglected my alts. "Oh, I haven't dodged an attack on this character in at least 1.5 years?"

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Well, I went ahead and bought the complete* set as a 'heck, it's a new year, let's celebrate' and then proceeded to redeem the code and realized... the account I created on arena.net isn't the same as the steam one. Which means that I now have two GW2 accounts, and one has the complete* set and the other has my character. :doh:

So, well, I made the best of a stupid situation and deleted the game from steam, grabbed the standalone launcher, set the one with purchased content as my main one, and started from scratch. I just finished character creation and the first event again - and yes. I made all the same choices. Same dignified, iron legion lady charr necromancer. I didn't quite get the appearance the same, but it's close enough that I'm happy. I now have to redo everything I did, but, well, I don't mind. I didn't get very far, after all!

Also - yes, I have the level 80 potions, no I'm not using them. I want to grind to level 80, I want to savor the climb to power and all the base game story. I want this game to be a marathon I poke away at, not a sprint.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also - yes, I have the level 80 potions, no I'm not using them. I want to grind to level 80, I want to savor the climb to power and all the base game story. I want this game to be a marathon I poke away at, not a sprint.

If you're enjoying the slow progression of levelling, then by all means do this, but understand you will be able to do all the same stuff you can do to level on a max level character for better rewards. Don't worry about it too much though, the game also heavily rewards having many characters, so that'll also be a fine opportunity for your instant level-80 tokens (though if keep playing, you'll get so many free level books you won't need the boost tokens anyway - the best part of the free level-80 boost is the shared inventory slot that comes with it).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Insta-leveling to 80 can be overwhelming though, due to all the stuff that unlocks simultaneously and the garbage leveling items thrown your way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

..btt posted:

If you're enjoying the slow progression of levelling, then by all means do this, but understand you will be able to do all the same stuff you can do to level on a max level character for better rewards. Don't worry about it too much though, the game also heavily rewards having many characters, so that'll also be a fine opportunity for your instant level-80 tokens (though if keep playing, you'll get so many free level books you won't need the boost tokens anyway - the best part of the free level-80 boost is the shared inventory slot that comes with it).

OK I have played too many rpgs: what are the 'better rewards' at max level cap?

gandlethorpe posted:

Insta-leveling to 80 can be overwhelming though, due to all the stuff that unlocks simultaneously and the garbage leveling items thrown your way.

Just leveling to level 10 was overwhelming, haha, it's like "this has all unlocked!" and I'm all "I am doing 1 quest thank you"

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

StrixNebulosa posted:

OK I have played too many rpgs: what are the 'better rewards' at max level cap?

Just leveling to level 10 was overwhelming, haha, it's like "this has all unlocked!" and I'm all "I am doing 1 quest thank you"
The main thing is that being level 80 unlocks experience for account-wide Mastery tracks (alternate advancement systems for abilities like gliding, mount upgrades, AoE Auto-loot, etc) and the additional hero points required for Elite Specialisations (subclasses). The Elite specs in particular essentially increase the number of classes available to you by 3 since they all play very differently to their base class (new skills, weapons and class abilities) and in the current expansion, Secrets of the Obscure, you can use the new weapons that they unlock without using the specific subclass which opens up even more options.

Since you're playing Necromancer your Elite specialisations are:
Reaper: Changes your Shroud to be more melee oriented, gives you some Shout-based abilities and lets you use a Greatsword. Reaper is one of the sturdiest solo classes in the game and is fairly simple to play making it a more chill play experience
Scourge: Changes your Shroud to let you place down stationary spirit pillars (instead of directly entering the Shroud) that last for a set time and give buffs/debuffs in an area around them, gives you some unique skills called Punishments and lets you use an off-hand torch. Scourge has very strong support abilities but can also solo fairly well although it gets quite button mashy with many plates to spin
Harbinger: Changes your Shroud so it's not really protection any more but simply resource for new kung-fu alchemy abilities along with Elixirs skills and they get to use a pistol in their offhand. Harbinger can do quite a lot of damage but it's a bit more fiddly and fragile than the other two in my experience

This is going to be extremely overwhelming if you're just starting out and since you now get your Raptor mount at level 10 it's not as important as when the only way to get it was to do the level 80 intro mission for the Path of Fire expansion. I'd be recommending you hold off for a bit (and I'd personally be levelling your first character to 80 the 'normal' way in any event) and when you do eventually want to use your boost you can use it on something other than your current class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

If there is one game to skip to max level in it is GW2.

The game opens up tremendously at max level, with so many different events, activities, tasks, etc to progress on. Getting to 80 unlocks masteries (some of which opens tremendous QoL upgrades, some that are extremely situational for niche content, and anything inbetween).
It unlocks the wizard vault, a treasure trove of useful stuff that it is good to get started on early.
Being 80 lets you participate in every meta-event in the game (every event/content/map scales you down to the appropriate level but nothing scales UP, so being level 80 lets you participste in everything but does not outlevel you or make you overpowered.

I found the game real boring before level cap, to the point where i quit playing a couple of times (at like level 17, the. 30ish) before happening upon a free 80 boost and thinking what the heck might as well use it.
I got hooked real bad and the game has had its claws in me ever since.