Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I know blue lights are illegal for non-cops in most of the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

deoju posted:

I know blue lights are illegal for non-cops in most of the US.

Lights are a no-no here as well but I was talking about the sound.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Finished my annual New Year’s rewatch of GB2.

Anyone that dislikes this movie is flat out wrong. Sure, it’s not as good as the first, but it’s like 85% of the way there and complaints about it being the same movie are way overblown. Biggest complaints are that the score is not as good and the ending joke (the painting by the Fettucine’s) is a stinker.

Other than that, it’s got so many great little moments in it that make me laugh - on this watch through I was particularly struck by Egon’s face/reaction when Ray-Vigo shows up. Whole movie is worth it for that moment

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ok

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's a super fun movie and you're all wrong for hating it as much as you do. :colbert:

Fake spoiler: Not really. I get it.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The parkas from the Frozen Empire trailer have been identified:

https://wuxly.com/products/sabertooth-ii-parka-gender-free-red

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

gregday posted:

:homebrew: Too steep even for my dumb obsessed rear end.

Links contain spoilers for a new gadget in the next movie: An early toy leak revealed a new a drone trap. I'm just posting this because I called it a year and a half ago. :smug:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ghostbusters 2 has big problems and is not a perfect movie like 1 but the chemistry of the cast is still there and it’s still got a bunch of amazing and hilarious moments

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
My only issue with GB2, and I mentioned it many pages ago, is that it doesn't have a period where it just lets the movie settle. The first one (IIRC) had more or less from the post-Slimer montage to Dana getting caught by the terror dog where not a lot happens and is very talky. The second one just lurches from set piece to set piece without a breather. Actually, I may need to watch both again to confirm that I'm not just making it up

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

gregday posted:

They need to stay out of Winston's pockets, lmao

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I can't really see GB2 as a bad movie. Part of it is seeing it so many times uncritically as a kid but honestly the main gripes I have with it is Kurt Fuller taking the place of William Atherton to rehash the mistrust + sidelining of the team before the final battle and the disappearance of Winston. Other than that I enjoy it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's been some discussion of Ghostbusters in a thread in GBS. It starts on the second to last post on that page.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

deoju posted:

There's been some discussion of Ghostbusters in a thread in GBS. It starts on the second to last post on that page.

Yeah, that thread is like some form of, I don't know, not edge lord venting, but I can only handle so much "I Don't Like Thing" before I have to stop reading because I truly don't give a gently caress.

In the paraphrased words of Abed Nadir, I guess I just like liking (most) things :shobon:

And yes, I realize that I also posted in that thread. I was following it for a while afterwards, but after maybe a page, I regretted ever taking part in it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

In the paraphrased words of Abed Nadir, I guess I just like liking (most) things :shobon:

People sometimes give me poo poo for gobbling down poo poo seemingly uncritically and just enjoying whatever slop is thrown my way.

And really, my outlook is pretty similar to your paraphrased quote. I’d rather go into something expecting to get some kind of enjoyment out of it even if said thing got thrashed by critics, if it looks interesting and neat to me then I’ll likely watch it and say “hey, I had a good time with this!”

I can’t remember the last time I regretted seeing a movie at the theatre, for example. I’ve got a pretty good gauge on whether or not I’m going to have a good time going in even if other people are ripping the movie to shreds. I’m almost always willing to casually memory-hole the “bad” stuff and just get positive vibes out of my experience.

It doesn’t mean I can’t recognize flaws in a movie, it just means I don’t let them derail my experience if I can avoid it and I’d rather look for the positive qualities that I do enjoy.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Speaking of things most people love but I hate, Abed was saying that line to be manipulative to his friend, Abed outright sucked for most of community.

But yeah back to GB, the takes in that thread are mostly spot on*: it is ultimately a silly movie equating ghosts/exorcists with cockroaches/schlubby blue collar exterminators and that's both hilarious but also weird to take overly serious and turn it into a mega-franchise.

*(outside the typical people just trying to be more over-the-top in their hatred than everyone else)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Yeah, that thread is pretty toxic.

I loved loved loved the original LOTR movies when they came out. When the Amazon series came out, I watched the first two episodes. I didn't grab me, and I didn't watch the rest, and moved on with my life. Not worth my time and energy to rage about poo poo like that. :shrug:

However I will work my self in to a frothing ball of hate if anybody says the like Mellencamp. :argh:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Abed absolutely does not like most things. He would for sure dislike the new ghostbusters movies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just so we're on the same page, the episode where Abed says that is a direct homage to Invasion of the Body Snatchers. At that point, he was patient zero, trying to bring his best friend into the glee club.

Plus, he's sold on the whole thing thinking it'd be a fun thing to do with his friends. The moment he realized it wasn't, he sabotaged it and saved everyone from a potential eventual bus crash.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh yeah I am aware, that's actually my favorite of their Christmas episodes and I watched it recently with my wife as part of a "tv show Christmas specials" marathon thing we did. But yeah when Abed says that he is both (unknowingly) aiding the villain of the episode as well as trying to guilt his friend into doing something he didn't want to do/is ultimately bad for him. And yeah he did save the day and may have even believed his own "I like liking things" lie, but like CP said above he is absolutely the kind of dude who hates things and will dump on things he dislikes (multiple examples throughout the series of this)

I was exaggerating a bit by saying I "hate" Abed but on my more recent re-watch I soured on him quite a bit, he does some obnoxious stuff (this is most likely due to self-realization: previously I liked Abed because I identified with him, now later in life I'm seeing some of the bad aspects of being a nerd which I also engaged in)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
In Ghostbusters: Afterlife Paul Rudd reads an Avengers comic. He plays an Avenger in the Marvel movies.

Edit: Holy poo poo, does that poster in the background resemble Stay Puft? Or is that just me?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

Speaking of things most people love but I hate, Abed was saying that line to be manipulative to his friend, Abed outright sucked for most of community.
That wasn't even him, really. It was the glee-infected pod person Abed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

That wasn't even him, really. It was the glee-infected pod person Abed.

My read on the situation was always that Abed was uniquely immune to the exact brainwashing — which was why he was able to so easily shrug it off mainly because he thought it would be boring to do it past Christmas — but went along with Mr. Rad because he thought it would be a way to force fun Christmas togetherness.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

deoju posted:

In Ghostbusters: Afterlife Paul Rudd reads an Avengers comic. He plays an Avenger in the Marvel movies.

Edit: Holy poo poo, does that poster in the background resemble Stay Puft? Or is that just me?

It does

Ugh

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Nah

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I stand corrected.

Also I'm impressed by your knowledge of educational science posters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Guy A. Person posted:

My read on the situation was always that Abed was uniquely immune to the exact brainwashing — which was why he was able to so easily shrug it off mainly because he thought it would be boring to do it past Christmas — but went along with Mr. Rad because he thought it would be a way to force fun Christmas togetherness.
Oh, poo poo. You're right. I forgot all about that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I just remember the line "I am Jehovah's most secret witness" and it still makes me laugh.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

So good.

See it if you haven't, Ghostbusters fans. The creator modeled the main character after Bill Murray's 80s output.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
What show is this? Community?

BTW, Peter Jackson's the Freightengers is a good alternate take on ghostbusting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Frighteners is really good, plus we only have so many Michael J. Fox leading man movies to enjoy and it's one of them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

deoju posted:

As down as I am on Afterlife or the semi-reboot on the other side if someone doesn't like the original Ghostbusters I'm probably not going to listen to their takes on anything filmic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

As down as I am on Afterlife or the semi-reboot on the other side if someone doesn't like the original Ghostbusters I'm probably not going to listen to their takes on anything filmic.

There's also frankly bizarre takes like "Eddie Murphy and Coming to America never got mainstream praise" which... that's just not true, my goon.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Dawgstar posted:

There's also frankly bizarre takes like "Eddie Murphy and Coming to America never got mainstream praise" which... that's just not true, my goon.

Yea I saw that post and was just like wtf lmao

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Coming to America made like $300 million in 1980s money

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

deoju posted:

The Stay Puft thing remaining a brand is still one of the weirdest parts of GB lore to me in Afterlife. Even if I accept that the events of the first two films somehow got memoryholed, surely a brand in the 80s would be cagey about their mascot after it was embodied by an elder god and tore a streak of destruction across New York?

It's like if there was a marshmallow brand called "Nine-Elevens" and they just kept it that.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 7, 2024

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It was great for their brand recognition. You can't buy that kind of publicity!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

deoju posted:

It was great for their brand recognition. You can't buy that kind of publicity!

- Peter Venkman, Stay-Puft marketing executive, January 1985

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Disco Pope posted:

The Stay Puft thing remaining a brand is still one of the weirdest parts of GB lore to me in Afterlife. Even if I accept that the events of the first two films somehow got memoryholed, surely a brand in the 80s would be cagey about their mascot after it was embodied by an elder god and tore a streak of destruction across New York?

Reminds me of when some guy with the last name Noid shot up a Domino’s and held the employees hostage because he thought the Noid mascot was mocking him or some poo poo. Domino’s stopped using the mascot after that.

quote:

It's like if there was a marshmallow brand called "Nine-Elevens" and they just kept it that.

This little burger joint near me, which has been around as long as I can remember, kept the name and the police/fire themed signage after 9/11, and stayed in business until the owner retired about a year ago.

Kevyn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kevyn posted:

Reminds me of when some guy with the last name Noid shot up a Domino’s and held the employees hostage because he thought the Noid mascot was mocking him or some poo poo. Domino’s stopped using the mascot after that.

Didn't know the lore of the Noid got so dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Noid returned briefly in 2021, you can't avoid him forever