Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Calax posted:

Kerrigan is a child soldier. She has always been a tool for those around her until the end of Brood War. I'm betting her emotional maturity is not very good. Plus the fact she's grown up in a world where it was normal to black bag people, and the media was constantly controlled, it makes sense that she wouldn't have the understanding that Jim's death would be faked.

Also, for the record, Matt is supposed to be the Magistrate from SC1.

This is only true for the SC1 LP happening on this forum. It is not actually canon. Matt was an officer on one of the ships sent to evacuate Mar Sara.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Calax posted:

Also, for the record, Matt is supposed to be the Magistrate from SC1.

this is a popular headcanon but it is not actually canon

e: gently caress. poo poo. beaten. shame upon my house

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Like, Kerrigan grappling with who she is and what she wants - and whether/to what extent she was/is the Queen of Blades- is a genuinely compelling idea.
Unfortunately, this is Heart of the Swarm, rather than something that isn't written terribly. :sigh:

I know, right? There's so much you could do with this set-up. It's a great story, and there are so many ways it could go. Even if the story is cliché, if it's written well....

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

IIRC, she also had her memory wiped with at least some regularity back when she was still a Ghost, which I’m sure did wonders for her ability to discern reality from fiction.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Jimmy probably should have gotten put up against the wall and shot by the Dominion, I'm not seeing an in universe reason why you'd keep a guy like that alive any longer than it took to interrogate him for whatever information you could wring from him.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Bet there's gonna be some poo poo where Kerrigan is winning and Mengsk reveals Jim as a final bargaining chip to get her to stop. It's pretty standard BBEG stuff, and that's the level the story is operating on here.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mengsk is enough of a vengeful, petty prick to want to hold on to Jim just to gently caress with him for various slights, I imagine.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My guess at the time was that Mengsk was hooking Raynor up to a Ghost powered corruption-o-matic so Kerrigan would have to fight Raynor and free him near the end. That would have been a very Blizzard thing to do.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

This is only true for the SC1 LP happening on this forum. It is not actually canon. Matt was an officer on one of the ships sent to evacuate Mar Sara.

Where's a link to that? It sounds fun to read

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

wedgekree posted:

Where's a link to that? It sounds fun to read

If you mean the LP, it's on the front page as I type this, it's the LP by JohnKilltrane. Otherwise, the info from Matt's backstory I got from his page on the Starcraft wiki.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

habeasdorkus posted:

Jimmy probably should have gotten put up against the wall and shot by the Dominion, I'm not seeing an in universe reason why you'd keep a guy like that alive any longer than it took to interrogate him for whatever information you could wring from him.

OTOH, there’s no way that they would have been able to extract all of the intel that they would have loved to pump him for in only a few hours, like who his potential collaborators are, how much of the prophecy he knows, what the password was for Tychus’ communal Space Netflix account…

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Regalingualius posted:

OTOH, there’s no way that they would have been able to extract all of the intel that they would have loved to pump him for in only a few hours, like who his potential collaborators are, how much of the prophecy he knows, what the password was for Tychus’ communal Space Netflix account…

Agreed, but on the third hand this series has always played extremely fast and loose with time and distance for the sake of narrative ease. Like, those dinky little dropships have enough gas in their tanks to go from Umoja to Char?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

If you mean the LP, it's on the front page as I type this, it's the LP by JohnKilltrane. Otherwise, the info from Matt's backstory I got from his page on the Starcraft wiki.

Cool thanks! I'll have to read it sometime when I have a free weekend.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You know, it is an entirely fair point that Jim is the only meaningful human relationship Kerrigan has ever had. That does add some weight to their interactions I hadn't considered.

I don't believe the writers were coming from that angle, but if they toned down the true love poo poo and focused more directly on him being her anchor to humanity, the scenes so far would work largely as written.

E: I forget how the actual plot plays out, but I always assumed based off the footage being of Jim's helmet with a bullet hole, rather than actually broadcasting the execution or Jimbo in jail or anything, that he was never captured in the first place.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Yeah frankly if they did want Raynor dead, Nova executing him on the spot would be a lot easier than blackbagging him in the middle of a conflict zone just so they could kill him later. Mengsk still doesn't consider Raynor's Raiders a threat, after all. No reason to try to get info out of him about a non-problem.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Hwurmp posted:

does this mean that every Zerg under Kerrigan's control is also in love with Jim Raynor

By RAW, accurate.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't believe the writers were coming from that angle, but if they toned down the true love poo poo and focused more directly on him being her anchor to humanity, the scenes so far would work largely as written.

Yet another case of potentially good story ruined by people unable to comprehend that man and woman can have a significant relationship without being in love (and by many, many other things, but you know what I am trying to say). One of things I really liked in "Honor amongst Thieves" is that there is absolutely no romantic tension between Edgin and Holga and still their relationship is deep and meaningful.

I'm sorry for offtopic, amatonormativity in culture is my pet peeve.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Alright, I'm back from my vacation.

We're checking out the latest Ice Age sequelfinding Nafash.

However, I'll be severely sleep deprived for the immediate future, so it'll still be a bit before things start up again.

So instead, I'm opening up a signup for the co-op side series!

I'm only accepting submissions from goons who've been posting in this thread, just because I trust ya'll more than whatever randos read this thread to not try anything funny and sabotage my footage. :v:

Play sessions and the side series itself will run on a strict schedule of 'whenever the hell it happens.'

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Will you be accepting pure noobs who've only played the free parts of the game? :shobon:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Yep! It's co-op, as long as you're at least making bodies and throwing them at the enemy things will be fine.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
It's not sabotage if it can be plausibly mistaken for incompetence :eng101:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
"I WAS TRYING TO A MOVE I SWEAR I DIDNT MEAN TO CLICK YOUR CC."

-A liar, lying.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Throwing bodies? Well that's why I play a certain infested commander. King of 'throwing bodies at the problem while napping.'

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

gently caress yes co-op rules

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

SC2 coop might be the most fun multiplayer experience I've ever had in an RTS.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I have never tried co-op (and didn't even know it existed till it was mentioned early in this thread tbh) but it sounds fun and interesting to try.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is co-op available if you only ever had Wings and Swarm?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Yes, but the commanders you have available to you are very limited. Which is true if you didn't pay for any of them, really.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah I looked into Coop once, found out that I would have to pay for commanders and bailed. I am not giving Blizzard money.

(I also really dislike this sort of progression mechanics)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xarn posted:

Yeah I looked into Coop once, found out that I would have to pay for commanders and bailed. I am not giving Blizzard money.

(I also really dislike this sort of progression mechanics)

They eventually made the first three commanders free for anyone to play.

Much as I enjoy co-op, SC2 has started having similar graphical issues to what I'm dealing with in WC3 Reforged, so I'll just have to cheer y'all on.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Cythereal posted:

They eventually made the first three commanders free for anyone to play.

Much as I enjoy co-op, SC2 has started having similar graphical issues to what I'm dealing with in WC3 Reforged, so I'll just have to cheer y'all on.

Blizzard's onto you. :tinfoil:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Reforged is Reforged (a buggy mess) but SC2 is not.
On the other hand I wouldn't rule out Reforged damaging your drivers somehow.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Hell, about a year after Legacy came out, my computer started overheating and shutting down whenever Protoss were onscreen. Can’t really play anything that way.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

As a reminder, B.Net has a number identifier on accounts. If you forgot to add it, you'll have to re-submit your submission.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 6, 2024

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

BisbyWorl posted:

As a reminder, B.Net has a number identifier on accounts. If you forgot to add it, you'll have to re-submit your submission.

fun fact: according to the Blizzard forums, that number can't be changed. So I'm stuck with an absolutely terrible one. Thanks, Blizzard :sigh:

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Even though I haven't posted in the thread before, I've signed up. Hopefully my credentials as another LPer qualify me as not a troll.

I briefly tried co-op years ago, so it'll be interesting to try it out again if our schedule manage to align.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Felinoid posted:

Blizzard's onto you. :tinfoil:

Omobono posted:

Reforged is Reforged (a buggy mess) but SC2 is not.
On the other hand I wouldn't rule out Reforged damaging your drivers somehow.

I have a sneaking suspicion that battle.net games share data about your computer with each other rather than being completely independent and that this is causing the bugs in Reforged to have spillover effects.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

JackSplater posted:

fun fact: according to the Blizzard forums, that number can't be changed. So I'm stuck with an absolutely terrible one. Thanks, Blizzard :sigh:

80087355?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Ugh, I wish. That'd at least be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Did you get 1488 or something