Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

their method of choosing game of the year is so mind bogglingly weird to me. it just makes such little sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

And honestly that’s what I like best about it

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The next season of TAZ starts January 11. The Adventure Zone vs. Dracula, back in 5E with Griffin as DM.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

TL posted:

The next season of TAZ starts January 11. The Adventure Zone vs. Dracula, back in 5E with Griffin as DM.

That sounds like it could be fun, can't wait to see how they try and pivot the story to be serious and fumble it right at the end

the concept at least sounds ridiculous enough that there could be good goofs

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Weird Pumpkin posted:

That sounds like it could be fun, can't wait to see how they try and pivot the story to be serious and fumble it right at the end

Dracula is actually the earthly incarnation/host vessel for a multiverse destroying evil

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I hope there is at least one bus driver named Keith

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Haven't they done dracula stuff before or am I getting Rude Tales mixed up with this? I know we've done bigfoot and I want to say a Frankenstein.

edit: wait hold on, 5e and dracula? we doin strahd?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Warbird posted:

Haven't they done dracula stuff before or am I getting Rude Tales mixed up with this? I know we've done bigfoot and I want to say a Frankenstein.

edit: wait hold on, 5e and dracula? we doin strahd?

It was a previous Adventure Zone live show. Also I really hope they aren't doing Curse of Strahd, I think it's a bad adventure in the first place and the tone is all wrong for them.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I believe there was also a MaxFun bonus that was Four Sherlock Holmeses and One of Them is Also Dracula or something like that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Dracula and The Adventure Zone are destined to do battle forever, a spiral of conflict that goes into eternity

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I can’t imagine they’d do Strahd given the way they’ve been doing original concepts from about midway through the Phandelin episodes in Balance.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

SpacePig posted:

I believe there was also a MaxFun bonus that was Four Sherlock Holmeses and One of Them is Also Dracula or something like that.

Four Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire (Who Is Also One of the Aforementioned Sherlock Holmes)
https://thatonegm.itch.io/four-sherlock-holmes-and-a-vampire

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
To elaborate on my previous post regarding the besties, it came down to Zelda and BG3 which is what I expected, and hell I don't even mind the result but it is extremely funny that the final discussion came down to Griffin being the only person who actually finished both games, and ultimately that's what sunk his chances.

I know BG3 is a big beefy meaty game with gameplay for days but to be so much so that only one host has actually seen its ending is big lol to me.

Resident Evil 4 remake made it farther than it probably should have.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Resident Evil 4 remake made it farther than it probably should have.

Why, its a better game than either of those other 2

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm not denying it's a good game, but goddamn how many times have they had to improve on the original at this point?

Remakes of 2 and 3 made sense to me, remaking 4 felt more like "eh, we might as well."

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not denying it's a good game, but goddamn how many times have they had to improve on the original at this point?

Remakes of 2 and 3 made sense to me, remaking 4 felt more like "eh, we might as well."

I would find this a more compelling argument if Tears of the Kingdom wasnt just Breath of the Wild but with gmod tools and BG3 wasnt the same game Larian has been making for 20 years but with a name people actually paid attention to this time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Fair enough

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The RE4 remake is a straight downgrade from the original based on ruining Ramon Salazar alone

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Alaois posted:

I would find this a more compelling argument if Tears of the Kingdom wasnt just Breath of the Wild but with gmod tools and BG3 wasnt the same game Larian has been making for 20 years but with a name people actually paid attention to this time

Not only that but by making it shoehorn in D&D mechanics arguably makes it a downgrade from a purely mechanical perspective.

I still love BG3, but I've never played a D&D CRPG that wasn't hindered by trying to translate the TTRPG rules into a video game.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also calling re4 “just” a remake is dismissive at best and an outright lie at worst. It’s an almost entirely new game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont give a gosh darn I just want to escape that game already and there has yet to be a decade where I am safe from it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

I dont give a gosh darn I just want to escape that game already and there has yet to be a decade where I am safe from it.

I know how you feel. Remake games that had great ideas but weren't executed properly! "Here's a masterpiece, but again!" feels like it should be called something else!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Sounds like you need Triple Click and...

Kirk Hamilton’s Remake Spectrum*:

• Re-release (The original game, playable on new hardware)
  • Remaster (visually enhanced version of the same game, same tech, etc.)
  • Remaster Plus (A visual remaster that makes some changes to the gameplay - e.g. Skyward Sword, ME Trilogy)
  • Remake (New engine/tech and new visuals, but makes a point of keeping the gameplay the same. E.g. SotC, Demon’s Souls, Diablo 2 Resurrected)
  • Remake Plus (New engine and actual new gameplay/mechanics/etc. E.g. Black Mesa, Tomb Raider Anniversary)
  • Reimagined Remake (Uses the original as a template to make major changes, e.g. Resident Evil 2 & 3 Remake)
  • Super Turbo Remake Plus (There is only one of these and it is Final Fantasy VII Remake)
  • Sequel or Reboot

*Note that these are stops along a continuous spectrum and not a series of discrete categorizations. Many games fall somewhere in between categories.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Time for the worst episode of every year and the only one I will skip

also that they think "twenty" is pronounced "twunny" (which I assume they will continue to do) is somehow the most annoying part of the naming episodes to me

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 1, 2024

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Naming of the year is always a lot of fun imo

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Piell posted:

also that they think "twenty" is pronounced "twunny" (which I assume they will continue to do) is somehow the most annoying part of the naming episodes to me

This may come as a surprise but not everyone in the world uses the same pronunciation for every word. There's about 30 different dialects in America alone, even!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Piell posted:

"I am acknowledging that an episode has come out, I will not listen to it and also I will assume this specifically stupid thing I hate happens in it."

Happy new year!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shinjobi posted:

"I am acknowledging that an episode has come out, I will not listen to it and also I will assume this specifically stupid thing I hate happens in it."

Happy new year!

It seems unlikely that they will change their accents or avoid using the word twenty while looking for things that rhyme with twenty twenty four. As assumptions go this one has a low chance of making an rear end of anyone.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oi yeh its twun-tee innit

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What always got me is they pronounce it “twenty” when they vocalize the number and not however the hell they seem to think it is in order for it to rhyme.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I could have sworn I've heard the name Fungalore used somewhere, but I can't think of it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The epic lore behind the rise of the dark lord…

F
U
N
G
A
L
O
R
E

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sankara posted:

I could have sworn I've heard the name Fungalore used somewhere, but I can't think of it.

Have you played the game Dokapon Kingdom? Because it's a monster in that game.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

what kind of sociopath says the second T in twenty

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Sankis posted:

I don't mind if you don't say the second T and pronounce it like "penny" (this is how I usually say it) but in 2020 they claimed that "venti" and "plenty" did not rhyme with twenty but that "funny" and "honey" did and that's just insane

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Sankis posted:

are you a cockney youth

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

yeah actually they will posted:

are you a cockney youth
seems normal to me as a midwesterner to say it without a second T sound, especially if there's another number after
like by itself I'm a bit more likely to pronounce it "twenty" but "twenty-two" kinda blends together into "twunny-two"

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's a small miracle that some West Virginians are intelligible at all, and I'm saying that as a Kentuckian

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Twenty Connoisseur was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

yeah im from Chicago and we drop or glottalize a lot of t's like that. what I say is way closer to "twenny" than it is to "twen-tee" but importantly it's nowhere near "twunny"