Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

Saint Nicholas lived on the Turkish Riviera

Hrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I prefer my peace on earth and mercy spicy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If you do your Christmas decorations in a more neutral way, like with lots of tinsel and white or yellow lights, you can keep all that stuff up as New Years decorations. Still do some red and green and Santa and Christ stuff which you gotta put away on Boxing Day, but if it's built on a solid foundation of decorations that work for both holidays, you really save yourself a lot of time and trouble.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Magic the Gathering’s house style of painterly realism leads to deeply boring art for cards that aren’t in the showcase style

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Clarity, as a state of being, does not happen by accident. But neither can you rush there. I at this moment, on contemplating my injured knee, how I wanted to do stuff but decided it's better not right now, am feeling it. Just don't.

Doesn't feel like much really. Sleepy mostly.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The opinion is, get drunk.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

An understandable response tbh

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I like yeast doughnuts way better than cake doughnuts

Summer Christmas is good, even superior to winter Christmas, despite all the discordant snow/Santa imagery

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Shithouse Dave posted:

I like yeast doughnuts way better than cake doughnuts

Summer Christmas is good, even superior to winter Christmas, despite all the discordant snow/Santa imagery

correct me if I'm wrong and you're aussie, but I reckon those are median kiwi opinions.

but i'm with you on summer christmas. i miss pohutakawa

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Summer is bad, period

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Summer is bad, period

99% agreed

the 1% is for people who live in Scandinavia or wherever

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Summer is bad, period

"Noooooo i love being eaten alive by mosquito swarms in 105% humidity!!!" - summer weirdos

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Byzantine posted:

"Noooooo i love being eaten alive by mosquito swarms in 105% humidity!!!" - summer weirdos

hell yeah love it

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Their brains are scrambled by the heat.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't think My Sweet Lord is all that much like He's So Fine at all. Yeah, they're similar, but the idea that Harrison "subconsciously copied" the Chiffons' song is utterly ridiculous. You might as well penalize all music writers who have ever lived, because most music draws upon influences to make something new. That's called 'talent'.

And yes, I know this is an unpopular opinion from some 50 years ago, but it's still my opinion, dammit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 20:12 on Dec 29, 2023

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Videos of people being swept off of rocks, jetties, etc. and out to sea during storm or high swell event when they have specifically been warned not to be there, will always be hilarious.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you should tell that to people irl, they'll love that

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Videos of people being swept off of rocks, jetties, etc. and out to sea during storm or high swell event when they have specifically been warned not to be there, will always be hilarious.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1b4QHzulR2/?igsh=MTQ0OXVzczB6eWNveA==

Ditto with trucks stuck at the beach.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dry heat summers are fine. Wet heat summers are for the deranged.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Videos of people dying are never FTW

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if it’s Hitler getting swept out to sea

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That series of pictures of the old lady sitting on the big chunk of ice on the beach that unexpectedly starts drifting off is pretty funny.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

People say that the US only loses so many wars because they're little lovely wars and our army is set up to win big proper wars. If we got into another proper war with big tank battles and fighter plane dogfights and naval engagements and the like, we'd win easily. But frankly, I don't think we would. I think we'd lose a proper war too.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Videos of people dying are never FTW

People need to learn to respect the wrath of Poseidon.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

People say that the US only loses so many wars because they're little lovely wars and our army is set up to win big proper wars. If we got into another proper war with big tank battles and fighter plane dogfights and naval engagements and the like, we'd win easily. But frankly, I don't think we would. I think we'd lose a proper war too.

The conflicts that the US has been in since WWII have all been outstanding military victories and the ones that we count as losses have been because they weren’t something that could be won militarily. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam were political losses, not military ones

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Maybe stop using his old name and Neptune will leave you alone.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

thetoughestbean posted:

Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam were political losses, not military ones

War on Terrorism, War on drugs, War on the Southern Border, etc. We have grandiose notions with no achievable end goal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Elissimpark posted:

Please do not deadname the Gods.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Elissimpark posted:

Up here we call him Njörður.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Atticus_1354 posted:

War on Terrorism, War on drugs, War on the Southern Border, etc. We have grandiose notions with no achievable end goal.

None of those are wars

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

The conflicts that the US has been in since WWII have all been outstanding military victories and the ones that we count as losses have been because they weren’t something that could be won militarily. Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam were political losses, not military ones

https://x.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=20

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

None of those are wars

Exactly. That's why we keep losing them.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Lmao "the wars we lose aren't real wars" gonna throw out your back draggin' those goalposts around like that.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Forgot the War on Christmas.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That one is lost

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Sure man, whatever makes you feel better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Sure man, whatever makes you feel better.

Tbh you post a lot about the US military being incompetent without looking at any other ones, who are mostly worse. Our defence forces here would roll over instantly to the clown show formerly known as the russian army, and make the dumbest marines I’ve ever known look like gods of war.

Just yesterday I saw some dudes muzzle sweep me, my kids, each other, and bunch of other randos in the streets of the capital. That’s NYPD discipline right there.

The french military is entirely racist psychos even worse at nation building than the US and A, therussian military wants to go home with a washing machine and/or do war crimes depending on the dude. Out of the ones I know personally, :911: wins out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tbh you post a lot about the US military being incompetent without looking at any other ones, who are mostly worse. Our defence forces here would roll over instantly to the clown show formerly known as the russian army, and make the dumbest marines I’ve ever known look like gods of war.

Just yesterday I saw some dudes muzzle sweep me, my kids, each other, and bunch of other randos in the streets of the capital. That’s NYPD discipline right there.

oh no I am more than happy to admit that the overall state of militaries in the first world is pretty drat dire.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

oh no I am more than happy to admit that the overall state of militaries in the first world is pretty drat dire.

As opposed to all the third world militaries renowned for their outstanding competence? lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

steinrokkan posted:

As opposed to all the third world militaries renowned for their outstanding competence? lol

...yes? Do you not follow the news? Hamas delivered a serious blow to the credibility of Israel's security state. The Taliban retook Afghanistan in a week. The Houthis have been able to seriously disrupt shipping to Israel. Recent years have been full of very impressive achievements by small military groups with little funding.