Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought Veep was literally the American version of thick of it, made by the same guy

It keeps happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

I thought Veep was literally the American version of thick of it, made by the same guy

that's it. both are good

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

watho posted:

tucker carlson is interviewing hitler about his recent cancleation on x.com

hitler was cancelled so hard he committed suicide and ur over here laughing about it smdh

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

1stGear posted:

hitler was cancelled so hard he committed suicide and ur over here laughing about it smdh

1488 Reasons Why

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

1488 Reasons Why

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

1488 Reasons Why

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

even before that, like the 20s, every cartoon was just a side scrolling walk where they cause chaos or chaos happens to them

Heehee, I dropped a couple of bolts and nuts into this pauper's can like the lovable scamp that I am, but he's uppidy about it so I give him a wallop only to receive my comeuppance as the rich couple arguing on the skyline suite above me tosses their kitchen sink out the window and onto my head.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

1488 Reasons Why

:hmmyes:

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

1488 Reasons Why

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching fall of the house of usher and an interesting detail ive noticed is that a lot of the fuckup failchildren arent just illegitimate theyre changelings by which i mean they didnt find out they were usher heirs until they were basically grown up

its an intriguing subversion of how these kinds of stories tend to assume nurture beats nature and its only being raised rich that makes you a brat like its pretty clear usher also assumed this is why they were raised this way but with the present day adult failchildren theres no obvious difference between the attitudes of the legitimate children and the illegitimate ones despite their being raised under a different ethos

theres a couple of ways to read this the most obvious one is that wealth itself is corrupting is why it doesnt matter when a person learns theyre a failchild but theres also a subtler point being made that its a little naive to assume that the kind of woman who would have sex with usher in the first place would be great mom material just because ushers not in the picture so far theres no indication that any of the illegitimate failchildren even like their mothers

its onbrand for the shows tone especially because half the failchildren are gay something else youd think might make them a little more empathetic and likeable but lol nope

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

1488 Reasons Why

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Some Guy TT posted:

so im watching fall of the house of usher and an interesting detail ive noticed is that a lot of the fuckup failchildren arent just illegitimate theyre changelings by which i mean they didnt find out they were usher heirs until they were basically grown up

its an intriguing subversion of how these kinds of stories tend to assume nurture beats nature and its only being raised rich that makes you a brat like its pretty clear usher also assumed this is why they were raised this way but with the present day adult failchildren theres no obvious difference between the attitudes of the legitimate children and the illegitimate ones despite their being raised under a different ethos

theres a couple of ways to read this the most obvious one is that wealth itself is corrupting is why it doesnt matter when a person learns theyre a failchild but theres also a subtler point being made that its a little naive to assume that the kind of woman who would have sex with usher in the first place would be great mom material just because ushers not in the picture so far theres no indication that any of the illegitimate failchildren even like their mothers

its onbrand for the shows tone especially because half the failchildren are gay something else youd think might make them a little more empathetic and likeable but lol nope

This is all very good analysis, except for how the show completely scuppers it right in the final episode.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

And there are some New Years themed slashers on Hulu that I'm planning on rewatching this year. Some of the only non-poo poo titles under Blumhouse's Into The Dark label (though that series being a complete grabbag is kind of half the fun).

are there any good series on hulu at all i am frustrated by the lack of good content on a hulu sub that just sits around eating money

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I've never read percy Jackson, but from what I understand it is hard-core, edgy Harry potter

theflyingexecutive posted:

it sold more copies than twilight, narnia, or game of thrones. lots of built in audience there

i can definitely see how "harry potter but literally everyone has daddy issues" could appeal to certain demographic

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I may listen to the percy Jackson books and see what the hubbub is about.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The boys in the boat was schlock but it did do a great job of portraying the look and language of the 1930s. one funny thing was the standard depiction of the past as a multiracial utopia except for a few bad actors. At one point a character turned back to Jesse Owens and I’m like hoo boy, here it comes. And then that character inexplicably said something supportive and not racist. at another point it’s 1935 Washington state and there’s an adorable Asian child in the crowd and it’s like no. No that would not be allowed. or at the very least she’d be getting sneers. Also the camera made sure to be like “look, black person in the crowd! we’re all in this together.”

It’s wild how period pieces, even the otherwise competent ones, all depict an alternate history where racism and homophobia, if they exist at all, are the domain of a few bad apples.

anyway all that aside not really a recommended unless you’re into rowing, lake Washington, the 30s, or hunks in tight shorts. But if you are: it’s perfectly serviceable.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Best Friends posted:

The boys in the boat was schlock but it did do a great job of portraying the look and language of the 1930s. one funny thing was the standard depiction of the past as a multiracial utopia except for a few bad actors. At one point a character turned back to Jesse Owens and I’m like hoo boy, here it comes. And then that character inexplicably said something supportive and not racist. at another point it’s 1935 Washington state and there’s an adorable Asian child in the crowd and it’s like no. No that would not be allowed. or at the very least she’d be getting sneers. Also the camera made sure to be like “look, black person in the crowd! we’re all in this together.”

It’s wild how period pieces, even the otherwise competent ones, all depict an alternate history where racism and homophobia, if they exist at all, are the domain of a few bad apples.

anyway all that aside not really a recommended unless you’re into rowing, lake Washington, the 30s, or hunks in tight shorts. But if you are: it’s perfectly serviceable.

lib wish fulfillment that they would be "one of the good ones"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i saw a documentary clip somewhere cant remember where in which jesse owens is sent to try and talk down the athletes who did the black panther salute and theyre just mocking and belittling him to his face saying yeah you played your game your way for all the loving good it did loser

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

are there any good series on hulu at all i am frustrated by the lack of good content on a hulu sub that just sits around eating money

you gotta watch This Fool

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Difficult People is really good although idk if I will be able to finish it due to Julie Klausner going Zionist mode in the aftermath of the al-Aqsa Flood.

Reservation Dogs is supposed to be excellent.

I think those are the Hulu ~originals~ ppl in this thread would like (I also dug Reboot and Maggie. both canceled too soon)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

even before that, like the 20s, every cartoon was just a side scrolling walk where they cause chaos or chaos happens to them

this cutting edge technology let's me breathe life into creatures made of light!!! here's a cow smacking around a toddler

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

Difficult People is really good although idk if I will be able to finish it due to Julie Klausner going Zionist mode in the aftermath of the al-Aqsa Flood.

Reservation Dogs is supposed to be excellent.

I think those are the Hulu ~originals~ ppl in this thread would like (I also dug Reboot and Maggie. both canceled too soon)

Oh no, she went murder-nazi too? That sucks, because she's pretty funny in that.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Mantis42 posted:

this cutting edge technology let's me breathe life into creatures made of light!!! here's a cow smacking around a toddler

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Saw The Boy and the Heron. Great animation but unfortunately the back half of it feels really aimless.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

for some reason, this post made me think that it's kind of unfair that we call people failchildren, but not their parents failparents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Probably seems likely also that anyone who sees the dumpster fire that I presume the Usher household is and wants any part of it is also someone not prone to making good decisions.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Whirling posted:

Saw The Boy and the Heron. Great animation but unfortunately the back half of it feels really aimless.

a lot of studio ghibli movies feel a little aimless. I think there's a divide between animated films where the story is put together by the animators, usually through storyboarding, and those put together by screenwriters who aren't animators. You can see the shift in Disney from the former to the latter around the time of the Disney Renaissance. Makes for more coherent stories with more forward momentum but starts the shift from a visual driven film to a narrative driven one

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Yeah just deleted my sib doing the same. Fargo's latest season (which absolutely is pulling stuff from No Country as well as other Coen bros stuff) which so far is the tightest season of the show so far. You got Solar Opposites and Rick and Moety which are quick and digestible. The Bear along with any other FX offerings like What We Do in The Shadows.

Surprising amount of A24 movies tho there are plenty of those on Amazon (which I also deleted lol).

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

you gotta watch This Fool

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finished up season 7of supernatural and started on season 8. Boy the show is much better

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the Jack Osborne Portals To Hell show continues to intrigue me. what is the exact criteria for what makes a location a portal over just a haunted house? 1 season in and it seems pretty arbitrary.

they have this bluetooth speaker with RGB lights that they talk to in order to talk to ghosts (it produces garbled nonsense noises they pretend to hear things from) and an adult woman after talking to it for less than 5 seconds was like "that is my grandfather's voice, i know it is him". people who believe in ghosts are awesome.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the Jack Osborne Portals To Hell show continues to intrigue me. what is the exact criteria for what makes a location a portal over just a haunted house? 1 season in and it seems pretty arbitrary.

they have this bluetooth speaker with RGB lights that they talk to in order to talk to ghosts (it produces garbled nonsense noises they pretend to hear things from) and an adult woman after talking to it for less than 5 seconds was like "that is my grandfather's voice, i know it is him". people who believe in ghosts are awesome.

I assume this is basically like backmasking, where if you're told there's a pattern hidden within the random noise you'll probably think you hear it.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
that is exactly what it is

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Back in the day, a previous partner and I used to watch all those sci-fi channel ghost shows. We used to goof around and joke about ghost hunting. Around Halloween one year I bought a cheap voice recorder to "catch EMF". We managed to pick up ghost farts

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
not once have I ever found a random scratch on my arm or leg and thought "I must have been attacked by a ghost and not realized it" but this is a pretty common occurrence apparently

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

not once have I ever found a random scratch on my arm or leg and thought "I must have been attacked by a ghost and not realized it" but this is a pretty common occurrence apparently

the scariest thing about ghosts is that they are super lame and weak and if they attack you you literally won't notice it until you spot superficial damage hours or days later

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ghosts seem to be about as powerful as my cats

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

which are, tbf, pretty powerful

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
What if cats are ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Over the last six months or so I've watched a lot of Ghost adventures with a few friends over discord. We just put it on when we're hanging out and bullshitting. It's dumb as hell, but also really entertaining. They're always doing dumb, goofy poo poo to piss off the ghosts. Sometimes Zak Bagans gets possessed and acts weird. Every few episodes they bust out a new piece of equipment that does... something??? to detect ghosts. Like in one episode they busted out some PVC tubes full of water to reduce echoes or some poo poo. Or another involved a tesla coil. I have no idea how these were meant to work.

I want to hunt ghosts.