Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Is there a way to throw enemies off high ledges? Like for example throwing enemies off the top of the arcane tower? When I try to throw them I just get errors about how it's too far or something. Or when I killed that racist lady outside the creche I tried to throw the body off the cliff she's next to and I can't. But shoving does work? Is throw just restricted to places that won't instantly kill the target?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

If you're doing a Magic Missile build for your MC, definitely plan on passing the zaith'isk checks yourself.

Hmm, what do you mean by "yourself"? In the creche I had Lae'zel go into the machine and use it, and then it was my main character doing the rolls. Somehow I passed all of them and got the bonus action thing - on my main character, not Lae'zel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You can still get it if you have Lae'zel go in first, but the skill checks are significantly harder to pass and you cannot persuade her to leave early. Plus your MC is more likely to have bonuses for their saving throws.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

jaete posted:

Hmm, what do you mean by "yourself"? In the creche I had Lae'zel go into the machine and use it, and then it was my main character doing the rolls. Somehow I passed all of them and got the bonus action thing - on my main character, not Lae'zel.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone pull this off so it's really interesting you managed to pull it off.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Monathin posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone pull this off so it's really interesting you managed to pull it off.

I believe the last check requires a DC 30 Arcana to claim the zaith'isk power for your own, which at that point in the game can be extremely difficult to hit. It's much safer to go in yourself.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A Moose posted:

Is there a way to throw enemies off high ledges? Like for example throwing enemies off the top of the arcane tower? When I try to throw them I just get errors about how it's too far or something. Or when I killed that racist lady outside the creche I tried to throw the body off the cliff she's next to and I can't. But shoving does work? Is throw just restricted to places that won't instantly kill the target?

You can absolutely throw enemies off ledges. Sometimes the aiming is weird, so just move the pointer around until you get a spot that says Death (since throwing at that spot will destroy whatever the projectile is). Unless you have very high strength your range for throwing enemies is kind of short, so they have to be standing fairly close to the edge before you throw them.

A hasted monk with a giant strength elixir is very funny when fighting enemies near a cliff.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 2, 2024

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

I believe the last check requires a DC 30 Arcana to claim the zaith'isk power for your own, which at that point in the game can be extremely difficult to hit. It's much safer to go in yourself.

I can't remember exactly what happened but I think at the end something failed, probably I failed a roll, and the dream visitor friend showed up and pulled Lae'zel out of the machine. Then I got the bonus action thing anyway. Or something like that. I also never realised Lae'zel can get an ability score minus, I think she got that due to the failure, but I only noticed like 20 hours later.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Black Noise posted:

That hat caps at +22 :argh: The CHA bias in this game is too drat high

The Hat caps at 22 but the mirror is applied after that, so you can still get to 24 if you do 17+ ASI + Hat + 3 points from the mirror.

What you can’t do is stack the +2 from the hat and the +2 from duke ravenguard’s sword to get to 26; but that sword is pretty hard to get now

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Morrow posted:

There's a hat that adds a +2 and a mirror in the House of Grief that lets you get another boost. Toss on some more damage rider rings and the spellmight glove and you're done.

That mirror can give you +1 CHA, then another +2 CHA too if you do it right. I kind of stacked the deck by visiting Sharess Caress, and getting the Rapture buff, then also shape changing for the bonus from the Shape Change ring, but I'm sure Shar is good with all the subterfuge and cheese :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Holding onto the Headband of Intellect and Mage's Friend ring from Act 1 can also be helpful if you wanna pass the DC25 Arcana check without respecccing all your characters.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

At the Devil's Fee is there any disadvantage to just stealing the stuff and not paying the 10k? I've always just paid but money is tight enough right now on HM I'd rather keep the money but if it's gonna piss off Helsik or make her refuse to sell to me in the future or something I'll begrudgingly pay it

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

At the Devil's Fee is there any disadvantage to just stealing the stuff and not paying the 10k? I've always just paid but money is tight enough right now on HM I'd rather keep the money but if it's gonna piss off Helsik or make her refuse to sell to me in the future or something I'll begrudgingly pay it

There is no disadvantage.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

how do you multiclass? that doesn't just mean the subclass you choose, right? cos i'm seeing people talk about combining mage and warrior and that doesn't seem to work.

is there a discrete second class you can take and add to your stats with? also, how do i reclass party members?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Is the method for getting the extra Charisma point from the mirror to not pray, roll until you get the +1 Cha result, *then* pray and keep rolling for the +2 option? Or does it not give you the option to pray later if you skip it initially?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

roomtone posted:

how do you multiclass? that doesn't just mean the subclass you choose, right? cos i'm seeing people talk about combining mage and warrior and that doesn't seem to work.

is there a discrete second class you can take and add to your stats with? also, how do i reclass party members?

You can't do it on Explorer mode, but when you level up there is an option to pick a level in a new class, that's when you do it! :)

To change people's class talk to Withers and ask for a respec! :)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

roomtone posted:

On the Level Up screen, at the top left where it says your class name, click on it and you can see all the other classes that you can level into instead.

You can respec by going to Withers and paying 100 dollars.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Gatto Grigio posted:

Seconding the advice to wait on Honour mode until at least one playthrough. I started on it, thinking that because I know every inch of tabletop 5e I could breeze through. Ended going up in flames, and me so pissed that my carefully curated PC was gone that I considered returning to Elden Ring. I’m over it now, though.

I wouldn't recommend honor mode period

there's so many bugs/janks in the game esp w.r.t quests that reloading is pretty much mandatory for most playthroughs

Don't get me wrong,I love the game. But I did my Honor playthrough on the -third- playthrough and had to deal with poo poo like key quest NPCs calmly walking into literal wall of fire to die because Larian's pathing algorithm apparently doesn't take "fatal obstacle" into account

Typo fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 2, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

roomtone posted:

There are a few characters/classes that really come alive with a little bit of multi classing. Karlach and Monk probably my favorite, taking 3 levels into thief to get an extra bonus attack, and one that prones in Karlach's case.

Getting a character a few thief levels also means you largely don't have to "waste" a slot on Astarion's usually lackluster DPS (or you can just multiclass him into a Monk).

There are some fights you're going to stumble onto that you're just not the right level for and you should come back later for but there's also fights where you'll get your rear end whooped if you don't have the right party makeup or people are specced poorly or you're geared poorly.

It also depends on how you like to play, what I think of as the smart way vs the easy way. The smart way is using every advantage you can get like blindness and silence and walls of flames and throwing water on the ground for lightning attacks and dozens of other spells/conditions/etc to do "crowd control" and make all your actions more powerful/efficient.

The easy way, or maybe its the dumb way (which is what I personally usually prefer) is to just beat the living gently caress out of everything really hard and fast, by having a party specced towards that and liberal use of haste potions/spells. You don't need crowd control when you can kill 1/3 of the biggest encounters on the first turn. Tav as thief/monk, Karlach as thief/barb, Laez as straight fighter, and Shadow respecced to either Life or Light to keep people alive, works well at this. Tav Paladin or Paladin/Sorc or Pal/Warlock to smite the poo poo out of people also works well (this is what I'm currently playing). One of the Bard multiclasses also works great.

The biggest "problems" I had on my first run is when I was trying to play the dumb way with a party that was specced towards the smart way.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 2, 2024

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

“You know for all the hullabaloo over the sex scenes in BG3 they’re mostly quite tame, maybe a little nudity but… oh, are they really going to show… wow so they’re… well then.”

- Me, watching the Minthara scene for the first time.

Alright I really want to get started on my Durge Minthara run now, but I'm still finishing Cyberpunk 2077

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

You could also offer to bring her a souvenir and then steal that back. You could also steal the money back. Steal.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Black Noise posted:

You could also offer to bring her a souvenir and then steal that back. You could also steal the money back. Steal.

I never stole much during my first runs so I don't have a good feel for the mechanics and now on HM I'm too chicken to try it much. Last time I tried was with the Bonecloak lady in the underdark because it seemed pretty safe place to try and I failed over and over again. I just wanted that loving caustic ring without paying a ridiculous amount for it. I tried just stealing the ring, tried breaking up the gold into smaller amounts, just couldn't ever steal a single thing. Only thing I've successfully stole on this run is the ring from the Djinni.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

I never stole much during my first runs so I don't have a good feel for the mechanics and now on HM I'm too chicken to try it much. Last time I tried was with the Bonecloak lady in the underdark because it seemed pretty safe place to try and I failed over and over again. I just wanted that loving caustic ring without paying a ridiculous amount for it. I tried just stealing the ring, tried breaking up the gold into smaller amounts, just couldn't ever steal a single thing. Only thing I've successfully stole on this run is the ring from the Djinni.

Why steal from the Djinni when you can just fart on his dumb loving face OP?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A weird thing with pickpocketing is that it doesn't seem to apply things like Guidance or advantage from the Gloves of Thievery, even though it's supposed to just be a sleight of hand check. So even though the DCs are similar to or lower than most locks, the success rate on pickpocketing is much lower. I'm not sure why it's handled differently from other skill checks like that.

Having shopkeepers divvy up their money into several small piles instead of one big pile makes it a lot easier to burgle them though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Getting a character a few thief levels also means you largely don't have to "waste" a slot on Astarion's usually lackluster DPS (or you can just multiclass him into a Monk).

Asterion's DPS is the exact opposite of lackluster. Thief 8/Champion 4 with Knife of the Undermountain King/Sword of Lifestealing/The Dead Shot means you crit on rolls of natty 17, give him chances to attack with advantage and there's very little he won't oneshot with a sneak attack critical.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Horace Kinch posted:

Asterion's DPS is the exact opposite of lackluster. Thief 8/Champion 4 with Knife of the Undermountain King/Sword of Lifestealing/The Dead Shot means you crit on rolls of natty 17, give him chances to attack with advantage and there's very little he won't oneshot with a sneak attack critical.

Except that dude didn't know how to multiclass and probably doesn't have any of those weapons so for him right now Asterion's DPS is probably toilet water from the toilet store.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

A monoclass Rogue's DPS really isn't all that bad so long as you get Sneak Attack off. They're like one of the single most DPS-loaded classes.

Lot of y'all showing you can't live without Action Surge/Haste/etc.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

roomtone posted:

there's a button on top right when you level up that lets you pick a level from a different class

that being said you never multiclass below level 5, unless you are like me who gets obsessed with creating the most powerful party possible don't do it. The base classes are all very good and the opportunity costs to multiclassing tend to be pretty high. And you only do it to get specific abilities/combos like getting the 2nd bonus action from thief to let your monk hit more or action surge from fighter to let your sword bard attack 8 times in one round etc

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Thief/Monk Asterion is so loving funny. Just this ridiculously mean-girl camp, moderately evil vampire foppishly complaining about things until a fight starts, at which point he suddenly turns into the Fist of the loving Northstar and vaporizes everything with his bare hands

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
My Level 5 Thief Astarion is a staple in my party exactly because of how hard he hits, so I really don't follow y'all. Do you know how easy it is to get a sneak attack off with two bonus action hides? It's so easy and if ever it's not (rare) you just tap them with Guiding Bolt first and you're back to the races.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Perry Mason Jar posted:

My Level 5 Thief Astarion is a staple in my party exactly because of how hard he hits, so I really don't follow y'all. Do you know how easy it is to get a sneak attack off with two bonus action hides? It's so easy and if ever it's not (rare) you just tap them with Guiding Bolt first and you're back to the races.

add gloomstalker ranger into the mix and he's an absolute monster

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This is actually super consistent with tabletop D&D; people play Rogues and don't understand why their damage output isn't great because nobody bothered to tell them why Rogues are so good at dealing damage. Sneak attack is everything! You always want to be attacking with advantage so you hit and then triggering sneak attack when you do - and the Rogue's ability to disengage, dash, or hide as a bonus action is exactly how they achieve this.

It's tempting to use bonus actions on offhand attacks, but priority always, always goes to maximizing your odds of landing a successful sneak attack; if you have to use up your bonus action(s) to ensure this then so be it. A single successful sneak attack is a nice big chunk of spike damage, especially on a critical. Rogues should never be standing in melee and trading blows or loitering in the back taking shortbow potshots without advantage, they should always be doing some moustache-twirling dastardly poo poo to unfairly stack the deck in their favour. That's like their entire job description

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jose posted:

add gloomstalker ranger into the mix and he's an absolute monster

Yeah I've got him as gloomstalker/thief with dual hand crossbows and you get so many goddamn attacks every round. Add in two levels of fighter for action surge and you can reliably kill one target + put a whole bunch of hurt on another before anyone has a chance to take a turn.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Save scummed 4 times on a make-or-break shot with my Ranger that would save the fight. 70% chance of hitting. 4 misses in a row.

Edit: make that five times.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I just lost an honor mode run as Gale. It was a lot of fun! Bernard killed me in the wizard tower after I accidentally chose the wrong option and he got initiative on the group.

I've played 290 hours including pre release, and this was the first time I've run into a major scripting issue- Halsin introduced himself, then I long rested an hour later in the Underdark and he repeated the exact same introduction again. He was surprised I had already discovered a path to the Underdark - dude you're there right now!

Playing as Gale is fun because you can easily justify making the "wrong" choices, especially in dialogue. I kicked out Asterion after he tried to bite me. I trusted Wyll and killed Karlach. I almost got wiped because I did the grove battle too early (level 3), but was able to run away and rez everyone, then come back to finish the fight. Minthara was inside the gate heading to the inner sanctum when I caught her.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Angry Diplomat posted:

Thief/Monk Asterion is so loving funny. Just this ridiculously mean-girl camp, moderately evil vampire foppishly complaining about things until a fight starts, at which point he suddenly turns into the Fist of the loving Northstar and vaporizes everything with his bare hands

I would very much like to hear Astarion say "but you're already dead."

Still fairly early on this run, but I'm going with the Gloomstalker Assassin build for Astarion and he's already pretty mean with the Titanstring Bow and the Club of Giant Strength. Probably not as bonkers broken as Sword Bard Thief from my last run but he's definitely going to be doing scary alpha strike damage once he's geared up.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If I kill Balthazar before doing the gauntlet does he reappear as a boss fight still?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

No

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
If I ever find the energy for another playthrough def gonna try gloomstalker rogue lol

so far my favorite class is bard+fighter and pure lore bard.

High charisma to pass speech checks most flexible class in the game. Can function as ranged dps+have access to some of the best CC spells in the game.

Maybe I'm just doing something wrong but I find clerics very underwhelming in act 3. In act 2 radiant guardian will carry your party for the whole act but one you get to act 3 the damage output from cleric dont' really scale. Plus you don't need sanctuary as get out of jail free card nearly as much anymore.

Plus in general there's not just as many good targets for AoE spells (outside of that house of grief fight where wall of fire is a life-saver). Feels like casters are just lackluster in Act 3 compare to the sheer damage output coming from fighter/monk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Well my first honour mode playthrough ended when I tried cheering on the rescuers of waukeens rest with a little cast of friends, saved the drow lady, then they turned on me as soon as I came back. Brilliant! 6 hours down the tubes! At least I learned that no one wants to be your friend in honour mode!

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 2, 2024