Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Cats are the natural predators of ghosts.

Spend a little time in the Astral Projection subreddit and you'll find that cats are actually spirit guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4ukACQ3xQ

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Guide you're ghostly rear end away from the food bowl and back out to the spirit realm.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol Prime is going ads at the end of the month unless you pay more

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1GjyYju0gA

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

dam I can't believe they got greybeard AND dingus to be in this

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i'm marathoning all the Spider-Man movies for some reason and nobody told me the second Andrew Garfield one starts with United 93 happening to Peter Parker's parents

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

theflyingexecutive posted:

watching Chernobyl again and it's absolutely bananas that Mazin thinks it's anti-communist

I suppose the logic is that since the capitalist nations didn't adopt designs like the RBMK, it was due to superior capitalist innovation. I don't know enough about nuclear physics to comment on whether the Soviets were in the wrong or not for pushing ahead with those reactors. However, Covid-19 has shown that basically every capitalist country will allow hundreds of thousands of its citizens to die to avoid rich people having a temper tantrum.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i watched that movie "leave the world behind" and i have no idea why i think this but it just feels like, an inverted parks and rec. like, if parks and rec was about naive obama-era optimism, this mvoie feels like a post-obama "the world has insidious enemies, remember you're monitored 24/7, they got audio weapons" thing. idk if that makes any sense, but something about it really irked me.

i just got "grow up kid, this is the scary serious world we're all stuck in" vibes from it, and in terms of making a movie or a show, seems about as dumb of a theme as the libbish optimism in 2010 or whenever. feels like post 2016 has seen a lot of this kind of thing, but i could be making it up and this post makes no sense

anyway, movie was alright. took me somewhere, got to the credits. i liked a character or two. the tesla autodrive pileup was funny, that's worth something. it's believable but kinda bland. maybe the movie just irked me because it was a better-than-mediocre movie

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

loquacius posted:

The first few books have some great characters and concepts in them but they absolutely do suffer from Pratchett repeatedly trying to lampoon Conan the Barbarian, which is much less relevant in the 2020s than it was at the time, rather than settle fully into his own poo poo

Conan seems like one of those things where lots of people fixated on parodying it but there’s no comedic material. They just take the character as is and go “Get a load of this guy!”

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

do you mean the colour of magic lol

oh yeah that. my bad this was like 18 years ago

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

Conan seems like one of those things where lots of people fixated on parodying it but there’s no comedic material. They just take the character as is and go “Get a load of this guy!”

what if he was Conan the Librarian

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

what if he was Conan the Librarian

that was a good one tho

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The best Conan parody I've seen was Korgoth of Barbaria, which sadly only got a pilot and Adult Swim never picked it up as a series. That and the Man from Hjelmdall in Disco Elysium since it's a good parody of Robert E. Howard's racism

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Jan 2, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

watching Chernobyl again and it's absolutely bananas that Mazin thinks it's anti-communist
there's no such thing as an antiwarcommunist movie

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bar Crow posted:

Conan is an extremely silly character played straight, so it makes sense as a target for parody, but (a) as you say, the source material is SO silly that the resulting parodies fall a bit flat, and (b) its relevance to modern culture fell off SUPER quick, I dunno if it's because hypermasculine fantasies fell out of fashion or just because we have better IPs now (ironically including Discworld itself)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The only audience for Conan these days would be alt-right RETVRN guys; even grilldads who read airport thrillers would probably prefer something with guns in it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the ussr could only really afford RBMKs and the tests they were running were to prepare for different ways those outdated designs could fail.

dangerous poo poo was happening at Three Mile Island too. it was only the reactor design that prevented an east coast Chernobyl

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

veepfake posted:

this mvoie feels like a post-obama "the world has insidious enemies, remember you're monitored 24/7, they got audio weapons" thing. idk if that makes any sense, but something about it really irked me.

you saw who two of the EPs were right?

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Safety Factor posted:

Over the last six months or so I've watched a lot of Ghost adventures with a few friends over discord. We just put it on when we're hanging out and bullshitting. It's dumb as hell, but also really entertaining. They're always doing dumb, goofy poo poo to piss off the ghosts. Sometimes Zak Bagans gets possessed and acts weird. Every few episodes they bust out a new piece of equipment that does... something??? to detect ghosts. Like in one episode they busted out some PVC tubes full of water to reduce echoes or some poo poo. Or another involved a tesla coil. I have no idea how these were meant to work.

I want to hunt ghosts.

i love these guys because they have one team member that zak bagans always tells the ghosts to attack/possess if they're really there, like every time it's "spirit, if you can hear me ... scratch gary!" which seems incredibly irresponsible plus one time bagans took his shirt off for a nun ghost to try to piss her off about his devil tattoos

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
"we tried to debunk this orb as dust in front of the camera, however as you can see it MORPHS and changes direction, which is impossible for dust to do"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the ussr could only really afford RBMKs and the tests they were running were to prepare for different ways those outdated designs could fail.

dangerous poo poo was happening at Three Mile Island too. it was only the reactor design that prevented an east coast Chernobyl

a nuclear reactor melted down just north of Los Angeles and because it was for weapons research they successfully covered it up for decades, yet another failure of communism

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

loquacius posted:

Conan is an extremely silly character played straight, so it makes sense as a target for parody, but (a) as you say, the source material is SO silly that the resulting parodies fall a bit flat, and (b) its relevance to modern culture fell off SUPER quick, I dunno if it's because hypermasculine fantasies fell out of fashion or just because we have better IPs now (ironically including Discworld itself)

You know, that's an interesting point. We're inundated with improbable action figures (even actors have gotten more roided in general) but they're not really advertised as two-fisted tales of manliness anymore. I guess because they've evolved alongside the larger nerd culture to get to the point where you can only draw attention to this stuff if you do it ironically, or because marketing now target more general audiences.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The only good Conan parody was Onan the Masturbarian.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
modern american masculinity is a Conan reboot where he spends half the movie crying about the villages he razes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

watching the most recent episode of for all mankind and loling at how the russian rocket scientist guy describes being a defector in the soviet union as being like a bird in a cage when the whole intro for this episode was a walter whitesque montage of how hes become a pathetic loser suburbanite schoolteacher at spiro agnew high school

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol owned

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

you saw who two of the EPs were right?

lmao oh, i must have and completely spaced. welp there you go

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

watching the most recent episode of for all mankind and loling at how the russian rocket scientist guy describes being a defector in the soviet union as being like a bird in a cage when the whole intro for this episode was a walter whitesque montage of how hes become a pathetic loser suburbanite schoolteacher at spiro agnew high school

Also how when mr moneybags breaks the strike and “gives them everything that they wanted” it doesn’t include actually recognizing the union.

I knew as soon as the strike storyline started it was going to be poo poo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

definitely puts a different spin on margot being blown off from doing space engineering that apparently he hasnt even been allowed to pretend like hes important enough to talk to other rocket scientists

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

loquacius posted:

The first few books have some great characters and concepts in them but they absolutely do suffer from Pratchett repeatedly trying to lampoon Conan the Barbarian, which is much less relevant in the 2020s than it was at the time, rather than settle fully into his own poo poo

I like the first two books but they are definitely coming from a different direction. It feels like it started like an irreverent broad pastische like Bored of the Rings or a Mad magazine parody that was for nerds who would recognise the things being parodied.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

"we tried to debunk this orb as dust in front of the camera, however as you can see it MORPHS and changes direction, which is impossible for dust to do"
Every time they slap a big, red DEBUNKED on the screen only adds to their credibility.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
While we're talking about Discworld a few years ago I picked up "Kings of the Wyld" and "Bloody Rose" by Nicolas Eames and thought they were so Pratchett that Pratchett himself could have written them.

TheMopeSquad has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Jan 2, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
did anybody say Mort? that's the only discworld i've read but i liked it a lot

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the milk machine posted:

did anybody say Mort? that's the only discworld i've read but i liked it a lot

Mort was good too

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i didn't know rick and morty was part of Discworld, that's cool

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i didn't know rick and morty was part of Discworld, that's cool

it's a book for very high iq individuals, that's why i read it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Mort is where I got into Pratchett too.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

at this point the main tell that communists are bad seems to just be that they do stuff in an unnecessarily mean spirited way

the new season of for all mankind tried to emphasize that communists are bad by doing an onscreen violent revolution but this revolution restoring margot to a position of authority at the soviet space program so badly undermines this intended message that the script had to come up with another highly contrived reason to turn margot against the soviets when this whole situation has been an objectively huge upshot for her and everyone else in basically every possible way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the show really loves reminding us that the kgb is evil but then also show us a scene where the head of the cia pops a stiffy at the idea of activating his martian Pinkerton sleeper agents to put down the strike