Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

indigi posted:

thanks for the detailed answers about arm strength!

another QB question: has anyone who holds onto the ball too long/takes too many sacks ever developed out of that? I can't remember any QBs making a significant improvement in that area, it seems like a trait that's almost locked in and can only be managed with scheme

Yes but it can have unforeseen consequences. Sam Howell is getting rid of the ball and avoiding sacks now at the expense of basically all of his good throws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Cam Ward declared for the draft, maybe another 1st round guy at QB?

He's been inconsistent but also had terrible talent outside of one WR. He's also got a gorgeous deep ball

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Hey draft thread - I'm guessing there's a bunch of guys playing today that are goin to be relevant in this thread. Any suggestions?

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I would recommend watching the games.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

He's been inconsistent but also had terrible talent outside of one WR. He's also got a gorgeous deep ball

I doubt Cam goes in the first.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LiquidFriend posted:

Yeah it's the playoff. Every team has a bunch of NFL dudes. Likely first/second round guys include Kris Jenkins Jr., Kool-Aid McKinstry, Dallas Turner, Michael Penix, Rome Odunze, T'Vondre Sweat, the UW left tackle.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I doubt Cam is even a day 2 pick honestly. There's a good 5-6 quarterbacks ahead of him.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

LiquidFriend posted:

I'm doin that

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah it's the playoff. Every team has a bunch of NFL dudes. Likely first/second round guys include Kris Jenkins Jr., Kool-Aid McKinstry, Dallas Turner, Michael Penix, Rome Odunze, T'Vondre Sweat, the UW left tackle.

Cheers

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

LiquidFriend posted:

as an FSU fan i would not recommend watching the bama game. gently caress ESPN & the CFP committee

Kirios posted:

I doubt Cam is even a day 2 pick honestly. There's a good 5-6 quarterbacks ahead of him.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I doubt Cam goes in the first.

No? I assume he got like a 2nd round or better grade to forgo what was a ton of money being offered if he stayed in college.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

as an FSU fan i would not recommend watching the bama game. gently caress ESPN & the CFP committee

No? I assume he got like a 2nd round or better grade to forgo what was a ton of money being offered if he stayed in college.

I think it's more likely he doesn't think his stock is going to improve much so he might as well make the jump. He was in the portal for a while before making this decision.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

There's nothing about his tape that puts him above Nix, let alone the Top 4.

If anything he probably got his degree and wants to move to the next step, which hey more power to him. But he's in the 4th-5th round category right now IMO.

Edit: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/

CBS Sports has him ranked as the 125th overall prospect, which sounds about right.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Michael Penix Jr looks a lot like a more athletic Tua to me. I think he's an NFL starting QB

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

mcmagic posted:

Michael Penix Jr looks a lot like a more athletic Tua to me. I think he's an NFL starting QB

He's got an extensive injury history. Definite medical red flags gonna drop him a bit

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sure I guess but there’s no way he’s falling out of the top 20 (and really, should be a top 10 pick even with the injury concerns).

A .500 team is gonna luck into him and fall in love.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

Sure I guess but there’s no way he’s falling out of the top 20 (and really, should be a top 10 pick even with the injury concerns).

A .500 team is gonna luck into him and fall in love.

I've been seeing a bunch of drafts that don't even have him going in round 1.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’ve always thought that was a ridiculous take, and I think it’s gonna look even more ridiculous after tonight.

I just can’t envision a world where he falls outside the first round.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Penix's red flags aren't just injury stuff; he's struggled against pressure and his accuracy looked way shakier in the back half of the season than it did the first half (although he's bounced back in a big way in the Pac 12 championship game and the semifinal, obviously).

This semifinal performance is honestly kind of like a milder version of Stroud vs. Georgia where he's not just excelling, but he's doing stuff that flies in the face of some of the biggest criticisms/question marks surrounding him. A potential Michigan matchup would likely give him another opportunity to show he can perform in the face of pressure too

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NFL scouts liked Penix's arm, his ability to read the field, and his leadership, but they are concerned that he is one letter away from being named Michael Penis.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Please, my father is Michael Penis. You can just call me Michael Penis, Jr.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

He holds the ball like it’s covered in Teflon, trusts his arm too much, and he makes reads that will drive an NFL coach insane (he has a couple double China reps that gave me vapors from the bad Pickett film). Love his tools and think he could’ve developed into a 1-2 round guy but just cannot get over how bad his mechanics are and how weird some of his progressions look.

Round 4 feels right at the moment. He’s basically just a worse Jaren Hall as is.

mcmagic posted:

That’s basically the passing skeleton they operate but he’s really a lot closer to the love child of Zach Wilson and Derek Carr right now. Ball just zips right out of his hand but with a 3/4 release. I still think he throws more fast than far, so his deep balls are going to look floaty in an NFL environment my biggest issues with him are that he gets by on a lot of sharp angles from the hashes on corner and sideline throws that don’t translate to narrow hashes and the injury history. I think you could drop him on most Shanny teams and win 10+ if he’s healthy but I wonder a bit if he’d really be comfortable in something like the Stefanski offense where the hard PAP is a bigger deal and you can’t risk as many flat foot reads from empty without taking your running game out of it, because they let him run the offense and running keys like late Ben Steelers teams did and very very few coaches even in a modern relaxed nfl will allow that.

Doltos posted:

I had a post somewhere in the past threads where I called Dak Prescott a hidden draft gem and it excuses all the QBs I've missed on since then. He was a hyper Tim Tebow with jump passes and crazy roll outs so I loved him. He was also extremely smart and constantly found guys in a whacky offense. That luckily translated into the NFL and why I'm not super down on Caleb after this year.

I will volunteer as the town Caleb hater because Dak would’ve gone down as a double heisman winner in those SC offenses. Caleb’s offense is wacky because he wants to freelance and Lincoln is too big of a coward to coach him now. Dak’s was by design because you try getting more than 1 decent receiver to Starkville. Improvising can take you a ways, look at Fields with the conga line of the worst OCs around, but you only win games with those as a sometimes food at the next level.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Penix is Nick Foles

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

TheGreyGhost posted:

He holds the ball like it’s covered in Teflon, trusts his arm too much, and he makes reads that will drive an NFL coach insane (he has a couple double China reps that gave me vapors from the bad Pickett film). Love his tools and think he could’ve developed into a 1-2 round guy but just cannot get over how bad his mechanics are and how weird some of his progressions look.

Round 4 feels right at the moment. He’s basically just a worse Jaren Hall as is.

That’s basically the passing skeleton they operate but he’s really a lot closer to the love child of Zach Wilson and Derek Carr right now. Ball just zips right out of his hand but with a 3/4 release. I still think he throws more fast than far, so his deep balls are going to look floaty in an NFL environment my biggest issues with him are that he gets by on a lot of sharp angles from the hashes on corner and sideline throws that don’t translate to narrow hashes and the injury history. I think you could drop him on most Shanny teams and win 10+ if he’s healthy but I wonder a bit if he’d really be comfortable in something like the Stefanski offense where the hard PAP is a bigger deal and you can’t risk as many flat foot reads from empty without taking your running game out of it, because they let him run the offense and running keys like late Ben Steelers teams did and very very few coaches even in a modern relaxed nfl will allow that.

I will volunteer as the town Caleb hater because Dak would’ve gone down as a double heisman winner in those SC offenses. Caleb’s offense is wacky because he wants to freelance and Lincoln is too big of a coward to coach him now. Dak’s was by design because you try getting more than 1 decent receiver to Starkville. Improvising can take you a ways, look at Fields with the conga line of the worst OCs around, but you only win games with those as a sometimes food at the next level.

I didn't articulate this properly in the GDT but I said his arm wasn't a plus arm from what I saw today and got poo poo'd but the bolded is more what I meant, it also kind of seemed like he had a good short fast ball on rhythm throws but his deep outs really did kind of hang out there and I wonder if he'd be able to replicate a snappy and consistent release early and often having to play off platform or under pressure because there were a couple of bubble screens where his casual flick was quite a bit off target or low and his back or WR on the bubble screen had to take the catch in the wrong position - i.e behind them when it should have been in front of them, or off the boot laces instead of at head height.

I think he'll push his way into the 3rd based on nothing else but how hard the league is trying to find quarterbacks and someone's going to fall in love with his film but being behind a decent line and being able to set and fire to a giant hands guy with excellent body control for much of his deep work is kind of giving him banger highlights but I can see a lot in his game that gives me pause.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Doltos posted:

Penix is Nick Foles

ah, a future super bowl champion? sign me up

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Large Penis Penix is a little on the nose.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Reaching his nose would be pretty impressive though

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kidcoelacanth posted:

Foles was underrated coming out. He had an insanely great deep ball it just hung in the air too much so people were afraid he had no arm strength.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kidcoelacanth posted:

Big Mick Energy

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Doltos posted:

Foles was underrated coming out. He had an insanely great deep ball it just hung in the air too much so people were afraid he had no arm strength.

I think that pass interference call later in the game last night is probably the perfect example of this for Penix. The ball came out like a rocket but was under thrown and hung up for a bit.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

PENIX was showing some darn good accuracy last night and when he missed he missed away from the defender.

Seems like worst case he gets grabbed in the late second by some team that thinks sure why not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Don't compare Penix to Zach Wilson......... He's started a LOT of games in college and he knows how to play. That isn't his issue.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Quinn Ewers was the QB giving off Zach Wilson vibes, not Penix

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

wandler20 posted:

I think that pass interference call later in the game last night is probably the perfect example of this for Penix. The ball came out like a rocket but was under thrown and hung up for a bit.

Might have been a big brain free dpi throw tbqh. Underthrown deep balls haven’t been a big issue with him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yes, and I'm the one that specifically said that.

Penix reminds me most of Tua (not just because they're lefties). Very accurate, solid arm, good anticipation. They're both absolutely elite in terms of placing a 30-40 yard ball into a receiver in stride. Needs an offense that works with his skillset and a solid offensive line. Both have some injury red flags.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Penix was completing throws into windows that didn’t exist. Him and Rome are crazy delicious.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Who has the best hands in this draft? Show me the slowest mother fucker on Earth, who is 5'5' 300 pounds, but catches absolutely everything that touches his hands. I'm talking 0.002 drop rate.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Who has the best hands in this draft? Show me the slowest mother fucker on Earth, who is 5'5' 300 pounds, but catches absolutely everything that touches his hands. I'm talking 0.002 drop rate.

Probably Marvin Harrison Jr.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Odunze has amazing hands and body control, I really like his game.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Odunze has amazing hands and body control, I really like his game.

https://www.si.com/college/washington/football/odunze-played-with-punctured-lung-suffered-arizona

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
A bunch of guys have great hands this year and yeah Odunze plucks everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

a neat cape posted:

Probably Marvin Harrison Jr.

It’s Odunze. Marv is capable of dropping gimmes and being one of those “too wide open” types.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

mcmagic posted:

Don't compare Penix to Zach Wilson......... He's started a LOT of games in college and he knows how to play. That isn't his issue.

Wilson threw 800+ attempts in college and played 3 seasons—the issue is that all his good tape is predicated on coddling his slow decision making and vision which was partially covered by his release being fast as the dickens and letting him get away with being late at time behind his grown man offensive line.

Penix winds up a bit but the ball ultimately does leave his hand absurdly fast once he actually gets it to his ear—but he’s making that read generally faster than Wilson did and into a tighter window. Where I see Wilson in his game is in the pocket movement within layered concepts and his release, dude moves pretty well in sync with receivers and loves a good hi-lo read, he just does it in tighter windows than Zach did because even the very good Washington line isn’t quite outclassing opposing talent the way BYU does.

But all that said, the age and injury history will be what probably make him go lower than Zach even if he’s probably a more proven quantity as an actual player. I could make an argument Penix might have fewer raw air yards in his arm too but that hasn’t stopped Tua or Burrow from succeeding in modern vertical throws.