Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I've never played tt, but in books they act like they are basically walking tanks that actually require anti-tank type weaponry to put them down and they can just wreck through waves of soldiers or vehicles. The third Rogue Trader book had a surprising amount of space marine stuff and they are supposed to be normal-ish space marines (not the ultra elite of elite terran guards or something) and they still wreck a stupid amount of more advanced tau poo poo.

I expected more from this fat dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In the tabletop game: Space Marines are playable in Dark Crusade and Deathwatch. In the former they are powerful and dangerous but within the realm that other particuarly notable humans can reach such as unsantioned psykers and hereteks.
In the latter they should not so much be judged individually so much as what they can accomplish as a squad, which is a loving lot. A group of Deathwatch characters is pushing well beyond anything human.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

pentyne posted:

Seriously, the math doesn't check out. Literally all the possible rep boosts in the game funneled into 1 faction at the expense of all other is not enough for them to side with you for the endgame. Same with the iconoclast/dogmatic/heretic, there are rank 4 required choices in Act 4 but you could not have reached rank 4 in anything even if you had exclusively picked a single type of alignment.

I checked my save file near the end of Act 3 (I'm waiting for some patches before I continue)

Are you really saying that the end of Act 3 and the first half of Act 4 doesn't have 80 more alignment points?
I find that hard to believe.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I checked my save file near the end of Act 3 (I'm waiting for some patches before I continue)

Are you really saying that the end of Act 3 and the first half of Act 4 doesn't have 80 more alignment points?
I find that hard to believe.

I was around the same as you pre-patch and ended up 3 points below level 4 heresy in the second Act 4 planet which is needed for an option with idira's character quest and to recruit Khorne corrupted winterscale. At your amount you probably wouldn't have had enough to get Chorda on her iconoclast redemption path regardless of the order you do planets in pre-patch. It really needed to be at or just about to flip into 4 to get all your alignment content in that act.

FurtherReading fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 2, 2024

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nessus posted:

I believe the Dark Eldar basically are the Fourth Stimpire.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

In the tabletop game: Space Marines are playable in Dark Crusade and Deathwatch. In the former they are powerful and dangerous but within the realm that other particuarly notable humans can reach such as unsantioned psykers and hereteks.
In the latter they should not so much be judged individually so much as what they can accomplish as a squad, which is a loving lot. A group of Deathwatch characters is pushing well beyond anything human.

Space Marines are probably at their most legendary and scariest as an oppression force, when the only thing they have to deal with is guys with autoguns and rusted steel they might as well be invincible god warriors who can slay thousands. But in both the tabletop game and the stories, once you start getting into the bigger weapons that even regular humans can use they'll fall just like anything else. Power Plasma and Melta can punch through space marine armor like it wasn't there at all, let alone the really exotic stuff that other species have access to. Having reinforced ribcages and double hearts doesn't matter much when your head has been entirely vaporized or you no longer have a center mass to your torso.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah it also depends on who is writing the flavour text, whose perspective it's supposed to be from and such. So like, a story about a downtrodden squad of Guardsmen bravely fighting their way through a city under siege might present allied and enemy space marines as terrifying objects of such speed and power that even being anywhere near them is dangerous whereas I remember reading one bit about Catachans defending Catachan from a chaos raid or something and they were killing Chaos Space Marines with mines or ambushing them while they were distracted by a body and at some points it's reading almost comical.

I haven't got Ulfar yet but I'd imagine he can probably kill poo poo very well, it's just gonna be undercut somewhat by the fact that everyone in this game can be an absolute killing machine. Then he's probably got some awkward perk choices that are a bit sub optimal and in the base game you can't respec away from those.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I seem to be soft locked by Navigators' insight. I have zero but I have a main quest on the map with no connection.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

I seem to be soft locked by Navigators' insight. I have zero but I have a main quest on the map with no connection.

Unless it's totally bugged, there should be a faint red (very dangerous) connection to the closest system. At least that's what happened in my game.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

You can keep travelling in yellow routes to trigger warp events.
Passing checks for a few gives free Nav points

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it also depends on who is writing the flavour text, whose perspective it's supposed to be from and such. So like, a story about a downtrodden squad of Guardsmen bravely fighting their way through a city under siege might present allied and enemy space marines as terrifying objects of such speed and power that even being anywhere near them is dangerous whereas I remember reading one bit about Catachans defending Catachan from a chaos raid or something and they were killing Chaos Space Marines with mines or ambushing them while they were distracted by a body and at some points it's reading almost comical.

I haven't got Ulfar yet but I'd imagine he can probably kill poo poo very well, it's just gonna be undercut somewhat by the fact that everyone in this game can be an absolute killing machine. Then he's probably got some awkward perk choices that are a bit sub optimal and in the base game you can't respec away from those.

The key issue is that he’s kind of poorly implemented from a gameplay perspective. They made him large in size - which is actually a detriment in game - and he gets nothing that really compensates for it.

His equipment is limited and isn’t inherently better than stuff your other characters can access, and he gets nothing unique - no talents or abilities that capitalize on the lore or flavor of being a space marine. In fact, as others have pointed out, his standard build is poorly optimized given the classes they stuck him with!

I feel like they could have at least given him some unique talents or even made “Space Marine” a unique class

Ulfar is like the inverse of Argenta - his companion quest is actually one of the better ones and he really kind of grew on me as a bro, but he’s a bad party member mechanically. Meanwhile Argenta is an all-game MVP but they did her quest line real dirty. It just kind of…ends. There’s no real character payoff or interesting story beat.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jan 2, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yea if you faff around for a while you'll eventually get the points. Exactly the same happened to me. I think for me the issue is they didn't make clear that I'd HAVE to use some to get to some places so I was using them without a care in the world.

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah it also depends on who is writing the flavour text, whose perspective it's supposed to be from and such.

In the books they're super ultra powerful. I mean if they weren't what would 1000 guys be useful for? It's barely anything.
But if they were like that in tabletop then why play anyone else, so I get why they do what they do with them.

And the reason I thought you'd be able to do something with all the xenos armour you find is there's just SO MUCH of it considering.

Another thing i don't like in act 3 is that I kinda forget what I have equipped so if something takes it all off, hosed if I can remember what to put back on with a few exceptions

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 2, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I feel I'm on route to soft lock my game in Act 2 somewhere unless I find a source of Navigator points from somewhere. I checked reddit and the suggestion was just jump back and forth on unsafe routes because you sometimes get some from an event.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Aramoro posted:

I feel I'm on route to soft lock my game in Act 2 somewhere unless I find a source of Navigator points from somewhere. I checked reddit and the suggestion was just jump back and forth on unsafe routes because you sometimes get some from an event.

Act 2 does require at least 3 Navigator points to plot a route to Kiava Gamma. You can do what was suggested and hope for a "Warp Reef" event, or you can save yourself the trouble and download ToyBox.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Taear posted:

In the books they're super ultra powerful. I mean if they weren't what would 1000 guys be useful for? It's barely anything.

The post-Heresy 1000 member Chapter limit is kind of infamous among the lore fans for precisely that reason. It’s just too low to be practically useful. But that’s mainly because GW/BL writers don’t understand scale.

And, let’s be honest, even in the books, Space Marines are precisely as strong as the plot demands that they be at that point. The best we can do for any power measure is really “a lot stronger than a regular human, but weaker than a custodes”. And as has been mentioned, they’ll absolutely go down to high enough calibre ammunition.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The suggestion seems to be that Space Marines tend to work like armored spearheads or special forces, often in contexts where the alternative is pretty much "infantry with some artillery." They don't make them into the novels but it seems that whenever you play a random game of 40k against your friend, you are, so to speak, representing some skirmish or mid-intensity engagement on some shithole planet somewhere.

What, uh, direction should I go in on the map in order to reach my planets? I got to the warp map, but the goal systems aren't marked. Just keep rolling and scanning until they turn up?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

If you vaguely head upwards on the map, exploring as you go, you’ll find them all eventually.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Realizing that I have to spend PF to respec now has been a kick in the nuts.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Realizing that I have to spend PF to respec now has been a kick in the nuts.

ToyBox it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I’m still just at the beginning and I’m wondering is there a particular order to worry about doing things in or is it fine to do em in any order? Thinking about going to the Navigator station first as that seems most important

Also more generally it sounds like I should probably preemptively download toy box as it’s more or less capable of resolving any potentially annoying bugs / overcoming poor tuning for quantitative components like rep or alignment points or whatever? I’ve never played an OC game before so I’m still getting used to their particular level of buggy nonsense juxtaposed next to excellent writing and seemingly decently considered mechanics

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Frog Act posted:

So I’m still just at the beginning and I’m wondering is there a particular order to worry about doing things in or is it fine to do em in any order? Thinking about going to the Navigator station first as that seems most important

Also more generally it sounds like I should probably preemptively download toy box as it’s more or less capable of resolving any potentially annoying bugs / overcoming poor tuning for quantitative components like rep or alignment points or whatever? I’ve never played an OC game before so I’m still getting used to their particular level of buggy nonsense juxtaposed next to excellent writing and seemingly decently considered mechanics

Navigator first (make sure you strip the station of all its valuables for the profit factor), the unidentified ship is a merchant you can visit whenever, visit the penal colony after getting Pasqal at the main planet. Don't finish up the main planet (you can leave after destroying the artillery) until you've finished the penal colony.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Navigator first (make sure you strip the station of all its valuables for the profit factor), the unidentified ship is a merchant you can visit whenever, visit the penal colony after getting Pasqal at the main planet. Don't finish up the main planet (you can leave after destroying the artillery) until you've finished the penal colony.

Thanks!

I'm trying to install ToyBox and having trouble. I dropped the 0ToyBox0 folder in the UnityModManager directory and nothing happens - shift+F10 brings up a blank "mod UI". I tried pasting the contents of the folder but that doesn't work either. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Same thing happens when I install via Steam Workshop.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 2, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Thanks!

I'm trying to install ToyBox and having trouble. I dropped the 0ToyBox0 folder in the UnityModManager directory and nothing happens - shift+F10 brings up a blank "mod UI". I tried pasting the contents of the folder but that doesn't work either. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Jack Trades posted:

https://github.com/xADDBx/ToyBox/releases

Put the contents into

Should work right away without any issues.

Make sure the folder name is correct and it's Ctrl + F10.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Make sure the folder name is correct and it's Ctrl + F10.

Much appreciated, lol that shift f10 also brought up a seemingly relevant menu but I was just being dumb. Looks like it'll be very helpful if I encounter any bugs. Just one last question: the murder hobo tickbox is just regarding log messages and won't do anything surprising in the mod's default state right?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Much appreciated, lol that shift f10 also brought up a seemingly relevant menu but I was just being dumb. Looks like it'll be very helpful if I encounter any bugs. Just one last question: the murder hobo tickbox is just regarding log messages and won't do anything surprising in the mod's default state right?

The "Murder Hobo" option automatically kills everyone as soon as a combat encounter starts.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, I figured, it just appears to be ticked by default but I see that is an x which is arguably not a tick, it just wasn't clear to me whether installing the mod also enables that by default. I'm just assuming it doesn't

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I have 5800ish profit factor since the last patch. I would say it feels good to be rich, but no one likes me enough to take my money.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

VanillaGorilla posted:

The key issue is that he’s kind of poorly implemented from a gameplay perspective. They made him large in size - which is actually a detriment in game - and he gets nothing that really compensates for it.

His equipment is limited and isn’t inherently better than stuff your other characters can access, and he gets nothing unique - no talents or abilities that capitalize on the lore or flavor of being a space marine. In fact, as others have pointed out, his standard build is poorly optimized given the classes they stuck him with!

I feel like they could have at least given him some unique talents or even made “Space Marine” a unique class

Ulfar is like the inverse of Argenta - his companion quest is actually one of the better ones and he really kind of grew on me as a bro, but he’s a bad party member mechanically. Meanwhile Argenta is an all-game MVP but they did her quest line real dirty. It just kind of…ends. There’s no real character payoff or interesting story beat.

I just replaced Abilard with him as the utility of a tanking character seems to kind of disappear when I’m deleting half the map in the first round. With the right weapons he’s still no Argenta or Cassia but he slots in well enough.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

I just replaced Abilard with him as the utility of a tanking character seems to kind of disappear when I’m deleting half the map in the first round. With the right weapons he’s still no Argenta or Cassia but he slots in well enough.

can't believe you got rid of the guy that announces you to the filthy masses

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sloober posted:

Problem is by that point all the filthy masses know who I am and rightly tremble at my arrival, making Abelard surplus to requirements.

Just means he gets to spend more time with his family.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So why does the warp eye do any damage to demons anyway?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Your body is 60% water but if you put your hand into a water jet cutter you'll still take damage.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arglebargle III posted:

Optic blast deals true damage.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sloober posted:

Having a dialog option to tell Abelard to introduce you everywhere you go is probably the lowest dev time, highest impact decision OwlCat made for selling the fantasy of being an important Noble.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Warmachine posted:

Problem is by that point all the filthy masses know who I am and rightly tremble at my arrival, making Abelard surplus to requirements.

Just means he gets to spend more time with his family.

sounds like some no-abelard cope you've got here

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Abelard is hands down my most valuable character because he's indestructible so whatever happens he's there. I actually think it might be a bug because enemies will hit him for like 80 but his health will remain the same, over and over and over.

Jack Trades posted:

The "Murder Hobo" option automatically kills everyone as soon as a combat encounter starts.

This is the reason I can't install toybox in Rogue Trader. I'd just do that in every fight. God they really don't know when to stop laying fight after fight on you do they
It's not that they're hard or anything, it's just getting repetitive.

I also can't parse the harlequin's speech at all so Act 3 is becoming a bit of a blur to me

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Taear posted:

Abelard is hands down my most valuable character because he's indestructible so whatever happens he's there. I actually think it might be a bug because enemies will hit him for like 80 but his health will remain the same, over and over and over.

This is the reason I can't install toybox in Rogue Trader. I'd just do that in every fight. God they really don't know when to stop laying fight after fight on you do they
It's not that they're hard or anything, it's just getting repetitive.

I also can't parse the harlequin's speech at all so Act 3 is becoming a bit of a blur to me

If you're high enough iconoclast, you get a translation for all his verse (it's executed pretty comedically).

And yes, once you hit A4 you've seen basically all of the tricks combat is going to throw at you, so if you're rolling fights at that point it's just kind of scaling numbers into the endgame. The classes don't really get deeper in any meaningful way once you get far enough into your second archetype.

At the end of the day, I just didn't find the combat to be one of the game's high points by any stretch, and I pretty much just started skipping all the minor encounters. Ship combat is even worse.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm glad I was able to finish the game before the inevitable Ancient Plasma Gun fix, Pascal is able to more or less solo all of Act 4 and 5 with it

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I found both ground and space combat to be entertaining.
Infinitely more so than their Pathfinder games for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I'm glad I was able to finish the game before the inevitable Ancient Plasma Gun fix, Pascal is able to more or less solo all of Act 4 and 5 with it

owlcat will pay for this