Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Corb3t posted:

If I threw my gently used Fellow Opus grinder up on SA Mart for ~$100, would any coffee goons be interested? Counter space in our household is a hot commodity and I just don't think I'll be using it much anymore now that my Timemore Scultpor 064S is here.

It's this any better than a Baratza Encore ESP?

I'm curious and could gift my ESP to a friend...

Edit: and play with both, since that's basically the most fun I get out of this hobby :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

It's this any better than a Baratza Encore ESP?

I'm curious and could gift my ESP to a friend...

Edit: and play with both, since that's basically the most fun I get out of this hobby :3:

Maybe better for pourover, but not for espresso - the ESP lets you make minor adjustments on the dial externally, while the Opus has an inner dial that you have to make minor adjustments with. I've gotten the hang of it, but having one dial like on my Sculptor 064s is a far better user experience for espresso.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Google Butt posted:

One of the primary reasons for moving from hand grinding to electric was consistency. Once I started brewing on the gaggiuino instead of the robot I found that it was necessary to really nail down my prep in order to get the shot consistency I was looking for. Apparently the robot was more forgiving in that regard.

How can consistency vary between an electric and a hand grinder? That's genuinely interesting. I've never heard that be a thing before. Does the variability in speed on the drive shaft change the grind somehow?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yes. It's most noticeable in the extremes - I grind fast, but sometimes I let my 3yo help so it's a super slow grind. When it's just me I don't notice much variation but my son's is always much different.

Google Butt says it's more noticeable on the gagguino, which makes sense since the Robot lets you adjust on the fly to heal channels, speed up or slow down based on how the shot is going.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Votskomit posted:

Anyone here know more or less how long I can expect a Breville Barista express to last? It's on black Friday sale and I'm considering it.

I'm trying to figure out long term costs and maintenance if I can.

I didn't end up buying it, but my wife got it for me as a gift.

I'll let people know when something breaks I guess.

It's a really nice machine and I love having half decent coffee at home now.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes. It's most noticeable in the extremes - I grind fast, but sometimes I let my 3yo help so it's a super slow grind. When it's just me I don't notice much variation but my son's is always much different.

Google Butt says it's more noticeable on the gagguino, which makes sense since the Robot lets you adjust on the fly to heal channels, speed up or slow down based on how the shot is going.

Ah, very interesting. I'll need to pay closer attention to my pulls in the future. Sometimes on the Pavoni I will get a slightly lighter pull and other times it'll be heavier. I've never been able to account for the variation so this could be the answer. As you said though, it's nice to be able to dial back the pressure to heal the channels and prevent over extraction with the manual. I've gotten it down to a near perfectly repeatable process and the shots have absolutely shown that in their flavor quality which is very satisfying.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Corb3t posted:

Maybe better for pourover, but not for espresso - the ESP lets you make minor adjustments on the dial externally, while the Opus has an inner dial that you have to make minor adjustments with. I've gotten the hang of it, but having one dial like on my Sculptor 064s is a far better user experience for espresso.

I've got a modded superjolly as my espresso grinder. This would just handle pour overs. gently caress it, I'm interested. I'll pm ya.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cannon_Fodder posted:

The Able one is pretty nice. I'm using a pretty fine grind and getting decent back pressure. Never tried the aeropress one but I feel this is pretty comparable to the paper. :shrug:

Cool, thanks. Ordered the Able fine disk.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that worthless rubber band on the 1z JX is starting to really annoy me. it’s gotten much looser over the last six months, which makes the grinding stall way more frequently as a result because it keeps slipping. maybe I should just chuck it in the bin once and for all

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ulvir posted:

that worthless rubber band on the 1z JX is starting to really annoy me. it’s gotten much looser over the last six months, which makes the grinding stall way more frequently as a result because it keeps slipping. maybe I should just chuck it in the bin once and for all

Is that the rubber sleeve?

I bet you could put some double sided tape under it to keep it from shifting.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

So I got a ninja creami deluxe for Christmas, has anyone tried making some espresso type treat with one before?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Google Butt posted:

So I got a ninja creami deluxe for Christmas, has anyone tried making some espresso type treat with one before?

I don’t have a creamy, but do have an ice cream maker.

My advice is to try and keep your ratio as low as you can get without too much overextraction. The cream base will cut some of the bitterness out, and the higher the water content of the coffee the higher the likelihood of ice crystals forming.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Google Butt posted:

Papa Hoffman's got you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHPn77jpt2w

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I poured a shot of espresso into some chocolate ice cream I was making one time, expecting it to be like adding coffee into brownies to enhance the chocolate. Instead it overpowered it but not in a bad way. Overall 4/5 and I don't even really care for coffee flavored stuffs

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

I’ve tasted a similar ice cream at the La Marzocco museum and it’s incredible how a dairy free product can come close to the sensation of an ice cream.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The DF83V looks really great and seems to have solved many of the issues from prior iterations. The power button seems a little cheap, though:

https://youtu.be/UN_cJONMvZ4?si=x81lKFlTJCE4B9uC

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I'm an idiot and ordered the turin legato / CRM3007L. Surely I will not regret this

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

ulvir posted:

This happened to me, it was just some coffee oils that had gotten underneath and made it slippery. A little soap and hot water fixed the issue completely.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've mostly been using my Fellow Prismo as just a drip-free cap + metal filter for my Aeropress, but lately I've been trying it out for its intended use of espresso-like drinks, and I'm fairly impressed. I'm using a bulk bag of beans from the grocery store since I didn't want to dip into my good stuff to test it out, but even then the results are good for what it is.

I've been grinding at about a 2 on my Ode v2, putting in 20 grams to 60 ml (so a little longer than their recommendation of 20:50) and stirring continuously for about 30 seconds with a total brew time of a minute.

No crema to speak of, but the beans are two months old so that's not surprising. It's like 60-75% of the espresso experience, but with a fraction of the investment of effort, money, and counter space. Gonna try it again with a fresh bag from a local roaster and see how I like it

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

404notfound posted:

I've mostly been using my Fellow Prismo as just a drip-free cap + metal filter for my Aeropress, but lately I've been trying it out for its intended use of espresso-like drinks, and I'm fairly impressed. I'm using a bulk bag of beans from the grocery store since I didn't want to dip into my good stuff to test it out, but even then the results are good for what it is.

I've been grinding at about a 2 on my Ode v2, putting in 20 grams to 60 ml (so a little longer than their recommendation of 20:50) and stirring continuously for about 30 seconds with a total brew time of a minute.

No crema to speak of, but the beans are two months old so that's not surprising. It's like 60-75% of the espresso experience, but with a fraction of the investment of effort, money, and counter space. Gonna try it again with a fresh bag from a local roaster and see how I like it

If you're making milk drinks it's even better - pull a longer "shot" and enjoy!!

FWIW I found about 4-5 was the right grind on an Encore if others wanna try this...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nine of Eight posted:

I’ve tasted a similar ice cream at the La Marzocco museum and it’s incredible how a dairy free product can come close to the sensation of an ice cream.

The trick is not trying to conflate vegan (or dairy free) with healthy. Turns out if you leave the fats and sugar in stuff it's real good. Seems they're out of their coffee but yeah. Discovered this at an LA area farmers market and now I shill it any chance I get. :v:

https://www.goldbelly.com/restaurants/scoops-on-tap/vegan-ice-cream-choose-your-own-4-pints?ref=merchant (I know, goldbelly. They have a storefront and are in various Los Angeles area events though.)

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
my gaggia classic evo pro arrived last week, and i pulled my first drinkable shot through it this morning. it was difficult to dial in dosage at first, then i had issues nailing grind, then finally i realized part of the problem was the tamper--i got an mhw-3bomber fully manual tamper at first and i think if i was experienced i'd be able to get an even, level tamp with it but i was just struggling with every puck, so i got the normcore v4 and it's been easy mode.

now that i know i can actually use this thing i'm excited to dig into the gaggia nerd community. anyone here have one? any tips and tricks?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Convert it into a gaggiuino asap

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Read up a little on temperature surfing, maybe get a cheap WDT tool off Etsy, and just spend a little time getting familiar with it as is.

I'm very happy with my Gaggia after doing the PID install a year ago. Gaggiauino mods are getting easier and completely transform the thing if you are up for it. Both are pretty involved mods though, and I'd suggest spending time learning what you have before you potentially break it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

SlinkyMink posted:

How can consistency vary between an electric and a hand grinder? That's genuinely interesting. I've never heard that be a thing before. Does the variability in speed on the drive shaft change the grind somehow?

Burr RPM changes the distribution of coffee particle size quite a lot.

Good article on it: https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/coffee-grinder-rpm/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My Capresso grinder finally died after 9 years. Are you guys still recommending it, or is there something better at that price point?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Squashy Nipples posted:

My Capresso grinder finally died after 9 years. Are you guys still recommending it, or is there something better at that price point?

Is 150-200 'at that price point' for you? I'm not sure there's really been much new/interesting in the $100 range in the last decade other than hand grinders, and the capresso remains sub-100

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

If you can stretch it to $250, maybe a mignon crono. Then if you want to get into espresso all you need is a $25 set of the espresso burrs.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Squashy Nipples posted:

What type of coffee were you making with the Capresso? Do you have any interest in branching out from there?

Capresso is still solid for what it is, but it's at the very front end of entry level. As others have said, it may be a good time to upgrade.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Google Butt posted:

If you can stretch it to $250, maybe a mignon crono. Then if you want to get into espresso all you need is a $25 set of the espresso burrs.

Yeah this is my setup, also want to add if you're doing pourover/Aeropress/brewer coffee, the Mignon Crono has very good filter coffee burrs by default.

SlinkyMink
Jul 28, 2022

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Burr RPM changes the distribution of coffee particle size quite a lot.

Good article on it: https://www.baristahustle.com/blog/coffee-grinder-rpm/

Thanks for this. I really didn't need an excuse to buy a Turin, but now I'm probably gonna need to see if I can justify the counter top space...

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

the coffee gods wanted me to get a bag of geisha beans in my subscription this month (no added costs), and I can sort of see where the hype is with these beans. incredible amount of sweetness and lovely notes in the cup, even with a middle of the road grinder. I don't think I would bother paying the real sticker price for this though. but great taste, and now I've checked that box off

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Squinty posted:

This happened to me, it was just some coffee oils that had gotten underneath and made it slippery. A little soap and hot water fixed the issue completely.

this worked for me as well btw. that and a little firmer grip so it wouldn't slip as easily

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

ulvir posted:

the coffee gods wanted me to get a bag of geisha beans in my subscription this month (no added costs), and I can sort of see where the hype is with these beans. incredible amount of sweetness and lovely notes in the cup, even with a middle of the road grinder. I don't think I would bother paying the real sticker price for this though. but great taste, and now I've checked that box off

There absolutely are affordable geishas out there now, just generally not grown in Japan.

I got a 12oz of a Colombia Geisha that was absolutely incredible for about $22.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

There absolutely are affordable geishas out there now, just generally not grown in Japan.

I got a 12oz of a Colombia Geisha that was absolutely incredible for about $22.

Uh. Do they actually grow it in japan? Wouldn't it be ethiopian in this case? Note that the variety is properly called gesha

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

lmao a hell of a line without context

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Clark Nova posted:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I like em juicy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Uh. Do they actually grow it in japan? Wouldn't it be ethiopian in this case? Note that the variety is properly called gesha

Lmao what an autocorrect. And grow shoulda probably been purchased.

My remembrance is when Gesha started getting popular in the west, it was already a fairly popular varietal in Japan, and at the time was often sourced from Japanese roasters at insane prices.

I could easily be wrong. My brain likes to remember things that didn’t happen.