Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Was looking around for movies to spend a voucher on and wait Wonka's already been out for almost a month? On a quick search, shocked I couldn't find any posts about it. That forgettable?

It's Paul King's worst movie thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Baron von Eevl posted:

If by almost a month you mean less than half a month, sure.

Came out a lot earlier here.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so when is permabanned weirdo gonna show up and ask Tars

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Who cares

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alan Smithee posted:

2067, according to the wiki.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

:dafuq:

Also still funny that Wonka is also a secret (ashamed) musical apparently

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

:dafuq:

Also still funny that Wonka is also a secret (ashamed) musical apparently

There was a poster last year who was obsessed with starting new threads for the new year and kept bugging Tars about it (and also did it in other threads.)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/regularaugust/status/1741666616725688538?s=20

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The wife and I watched Babylon last night to welcome in the new year. We both ended up liking it a lot. Last year (well, 2022 now I guess) I remember conflating Babylon and Amsterdam a lot in my mind and Babylon was so much better.

I do understand why a lot of people hated it, though. A three hour movie that starts with an elephant making GBS threads on the camera is probably a hard sell today. Also a movie with so much sex in today's ultra-puritanical climate. But it's a really a shame that Barbie, and not Babylon, is going to be remembered as the example of how Magot Robbie has the charismatic power to be a leading star.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Had Babylon come out in 2014 in the wake of The Great Gatsby and Wolf of Wall Street it probably would have done quite well with audiences

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Was that Hunger Games prequel that came out last year any good? I (re)watched the Jennifer Lawrence ones over the holidays, and concluded I really like them. There's a lot of serious ideas interwoven with the Battle Royale style plot and Twilight-esque love triangle.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

davidspackage posted:

Was that Hunger Games prequel that came out last year any good? I (re)watched the Jennifer Lawrence ones over the holidays, and concluded I really like them. There's a lot of serious ideas interwoven with the Battle Royale style plot and Twilight-esque love triangle.

It's decent as far as these things go. I liked it more than what I've seen of the other series (so just the first one), but it's not high art and doesn't transcend what it's doing. It also, unfortunately, doesn't have its best material in its third act.

I had fun tho.

Logic666
Jan 2, 2024

muscles like this! posted:

There was a poster last year who was obsessed with starting new threads for the new year and kept bugging Tars about it (and also did it in other threads.)

You know it doesn't have to be that person to create the new thread it could be someone else.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Anyway, feel free to drop titles for a 2024 thread, started work on it but no eta. Next year has a lot less of the big franchises but has some other big and small good and bad stuff in the queue

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who Threadglightninged 2024: Public Domain Mickey Mouse Orgy Movie When?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Maybe something about the fall of franchise tentpoles or the end of comic book movies? Because those at least feel like they’re on their way out the door or drastically diminished from what they were.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This belongs in the new OP:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Maybe something about the fall of franchise tentpoles or the end of comic book movies? Because those at least feel like they’re on their way out the door or drastically diminished from what they were.

And yet...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm mad at myself for looking forward to, like, 4 of those.

We should make a betting pool for their Rotten Tomatoes audience and critics scores.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dune and Joker. Joker was surprisingly good, I’ll watch another even though it sounds bad.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

duz posted:

And yet...

That's a lot of sequels. What's original here? Night Swim? Borderlands is based on videogames, but hasn't had any movies before, I guess. What's If?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

duz posted:

And yet...

I’ll gently caress with Furiosa and Sonic 3, but the rest of this makes my head hurt.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dune once again going to be the only good movie of its respective year

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'd like very much to make the John Wick Extended Universe a human being and beat the poo poo out of it in an okay but ultimately kind of forgettable neon soaked fight

If that can't be done I'd just like to physically assault that Borderlands movie. Stay frosty Eli Roth.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

That chart is a bit weird, yeah. As far as I can tell, Night Swim, Argylle, IF, and Borderlands are not sequels or spinoffs of a big brand in movies. Borderlands I can sort of see, I guess.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HJE-Cobra posted:

That's a lot of sequels. What's original here? Night Swim? Borderlands is based on videogames, but hasn't had any movies before, I guess. What's If?

Night Swim is the latest movie in the James Wan Horrorverse.
If is by CIA John and is about what if imaginary friends were real. It doesn't appear to be based on anything from what I can tell.

Prowler posted:

That chart is a bit weird, yeah. As far as I can tell, Night Swim, Argylle, IF, and Borderlands are not sequels or spinoffs of a big brand in movies. Borderlands I can sort of see, I guess.

The person that made that probably thought Argylle was a Kingsman movie since they sure aren't trying to make that clear in the ads.

duz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 2, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Kraven!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's decent as far as these things go. I liked it more than what I've seen of the other series (so just the first one), but it's not high art and doesn't transcend what it's doing. It also, unfortunately, doesn't have its best material in its third act.

I had fun tho.
I felt pretty much the same. It followed the plot of the book more closely and completely than I expected. It's a long movie, but I'm glad they didn't split it in twain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as in The Hunter, not as in the attitude of movie producers

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And it's just Dune, Gladiator 2, and Furiosa for me I guess...Beetlejuice 2 and Joker 2 interest me but also terrify me and not in a good way. I trust Ridley Scott to at least make an okay film, I can't say that about Tim Burton or loving Todd Phillips

Prowler
May 24, 2004

duz posted:

Night Swim is the latest movie in the James Wan Horrorverse.

Do all of those movies fall under the same universe? This apparently was a short film that they're more or less remaking. I haven't watched a horror film in over a decade.

Reading up on James Wan did bring up a few interesting tidbits from Wiki:

Going down the Wiki Hole posted:

-In October 2023, Disney Branded Television announced a Gargoyles live-action reboot with Wan and Michael Clear, joining the executive producing ranks.

Was the animated Usagi Yojimbo from him any good?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Prowler posted:

Argylle,
This is part of the Matthew Vaughn and Mark Millar Oh My God Shut the gently caress Up and Die You Both loving Suck So Much Cinematic Universe. I mean not technically, but basically.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Punkin Spunkin posted:

If that can't be done I'd just like to physically assault that Borderlands movie. Stay frosty Eli Roth.

I thought there was some drama over how involved Eli Roth was, but apparently Roth was okay with handing reshoots over to Tim Miller early last year. Still, it’s going to probably be a terrible movie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I assume Argylle is about the chauffeur from Die Hard.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I thought there was some drama over how involved Eli Roth was, but apparently Roth was okay with handing reshoots over to Tim Miller early last year. Still, it’s going to probably be a terrible movie.
"Hey remember that game where the gameplay just felt really fun and intuitive but anything involving the plot, dialogue, and characters made you want to put a gun in your mouth? We made a movie. 🤗"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

I assume Argylle is about the chauffeur from Die Hard.

It's about an evil sweater.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Oh, God. We didn't need an Evil Winnie the Pooh movie and we don't need an Evil Mr. Rogers movie either. Can they even do that? When your dead does your likeness just become public domain?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought Bad Boys 4 already came out. Same with Inside Out 2 but apparently I'm thinking of the movie where a fireball tries to gently caress a bucket of water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

duz posted:

And yet...

I'm looking forward to Movie Facts but too bad it doesn't have a release date yet.