Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Shinji2015 posted:

Rising is a gigantic improvement over the original (it's so good I put it in my top ten list for 2023); they added a bunch of new mechanics, threw in all the DLC characters from GBFV, improved the lighting so the game's even better looking now, 2B's going to be a guest character, and there's a free version available with Gran and a rotating selection of characters available to play every week.

I haven't put as much time into it as I'd like, but maybe Manoueverable can add their two cents on it. I say at least try the free version and mess around with it. It's a ton of fun.

Hey, since your friends are trying to get you into Rising, all that matters at the end of the day is that you're better than them.

Just to put my two cents in, Rising is a huge improvement from netcode alone and has great mechanics - I put it in my top 10 as well and am trying to pursue it as my secondary competitive game. The F2P version is legitimately great to at least get your feet wet and try things out to see if something sticks without any investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm 30 and I get a lot of poo poo from my parents for not having kids yet

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

36 going on 37. Got married last year, finally. One of my biggest issues is that I've been agreeing to doing a lot of things that felt fine at the time, but upon doing them I'm really not happy with - like I thought buying a house was a good idea but I miss living in Seattle and realize I don't need a lot of space for things, or that doing a Catholic wedding would be nbd then going into it being a pretty big revelation about how much I hate the Catholic Church. One thing I haven't done is had kids, but my wife wants them. I had agreed shortly after we got engaged, but recently told her that I need more time to get my poo poo together.

She's sad but understanding, but I honestly don't know if I'm going to change my mind just given that I haven't been in a good mental headspace for awhile, and unsure if I'll ever come around to that.

My parents already have 3 grandkids (one via previous marriage who they've known since she was 3) so they never pressure me. Wife's parents don't have grandkids, and both parents come from huge families so the pressure is there. It's just... not a great place to be.

I'm not trying to butt into your marriage or anything, but you should keep in mind that if your wife is already in her mid to late 30s, every year you ask her to wait to get pregnant increases the medical risks she faces from pregnancy. It's a big big ask. But if you don't want kids at all I think you should tell her that so she can decide what to do. Scary conversation.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm 30 and I get a lot of poo poo from my parents for not having kids yet

Please don't let anyone pressure you into doing this if you don't want to. One of the things we vowed was that we would never ask someone "SO WHENARRYA HAVIN KIDS" because we got so sick of hearing it at our old church. If you want them, great! If you don't, then absolutely not. We had ours at 27, but just looking at the different life experiences in this thread alone, have them when you're ready to have them (if you want them at all).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not trying to butt into your marriage or anything, but you should keep in mind that if your wife is already in her mid to late 30s, every year you ask her to wait to get pregnant increases the medical risks she faces from pregnancy. It's a big big ask. But if you don't want kids at all I think you should tell her that so she can decide what to do. Scary conversation.

I've more or less told her that. She's 3 years younger than me, so her clock isn't... on fire yet, but I've basically said I'm not sure if / when I'll want kids, and if that's a dealbreaker for her, then I'll fully accept that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. Well, I'll tell you one more thing that my wife and I always kept in mind, especially once we hit 40 with no kids, and that's that adoption is still an option later. Especially if you don't need to adopt an infant, adopting an older kid is a kind thing to do with no medical risks for mom.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Silly Burrito posted:

Please don't let anyone pressure you into doing this if you don't want to. One of the things we vowed was that we would never ask someone "SO WHENARRYA HAVIN KIDS" because we got so sick of hearing it at our old church. If you want them, great! If you don't, then absolutely not. We had ours at 27, but just looking at the different life experiences in this thread alone, have them when you're ready to have them (if you want them at all).

Thanks, I also get poo poo about not being married

"Your grandpa isn't gonna live forever you know" and all that

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think I might get a cat this year.

Do it, cats own

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Do it, cats own

Mine hops into my lap at around 10-11 am every day and falls asleep, forcing me to stop doing whatever and just 1 armed browse the forums instead of working or whatever.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It'll be tough when my foster cats can go back home since they have become my bed time snuggle buddies. My girlfriend is annoyed since they'll sleep with me but not her but she death rolls in her sleep everytime she forgets her CPAP and a good chunk of the time with it on anyway.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

General Dog posted:

Sugar momma got me a drone for my birthday!

Tell me more about the drone.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I built a catio for my house as one of my former house mates had a couple and it's currently unused.

Every now & then I think that it would be nice to have a cat as they're a little lower-maintence than dogs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rescue a cat.

That way when they are bad you can say if it wasn't for me you'd be out on the street! Even if they understood English they wouldn't care but it will make you feel better.

Another option is who do you think keeps the lights on? A roof over your head? And other Dad-isms

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Braksgirl posted:

Honey that child got pregnant at 14. She just turned 16 and has a 1 year old. It's so stupid. And she doesn't do it, her mom does a lot. But she dropped out of school and the baby daddy 18 year old does construction and spends his time cross faded af.

I'm being judgmental, but gently caress if I'm raising a grandchild at 45. gently caress offff.

I was a trap baby myself when my mom was 18 and my dad was 26. It didn't work out because my parents got divorced when I was 14.

Across the mom group I was always 5-10 years older than other moms with kids the same age as ours. We brought our oldest home from the hospital on my 28th birthday.

My grandparents were all in their early twenties when they had my parents, but both my mom and my dad were born approximately 7 months after their parents got married.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Android Apocalypse posted:

I built a catio for my house as one of my former house mates had a couple and it's currently unused.

Every now & then I think that it would be nice to have a cat as they're a little lower-maintence than dogs.

I've been wanting to get a catio for my little guy since he does like going out (if he lets me put his harness on), but immediately wants to bite and eat all the grass / other plants which is a big no no considering he has IBS and would easily upset his stomach.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
A girl I had a fairly massive crush on at school was pregnant at 18 with triplets within weeks of going to university

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I'm in a pretty big crisis because I'm 34, I want to have kids, but even if I met someone today it would probably be another 2 years at least before we have them.

And on an ethical level I just don't know if I could bring them into a world that will almost certainly see the collapse of civilization and all the horrors it will bring within their lifetime.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pron on VHS posted:

Tell me more about the drone.

It’s a DJI Mini 3, I’d been drone-curious for a while and did my research and it was consensus good one for beginners if you’re willing to drop about $500 on one. It’s 249 grams, so it doesn’t have to be registered with the FAA or anything like that. Camera quality seems to be as good as a consumer or even hobbyist filmmaker would ever want, can do up to 4K 30 FPS or 1080p 60 fps.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Manoueverable posted:

I'm in a pretty big crisis because I'm 34, I want to have kids, but even if I met someone today it would probably be another 2 years at least before we have them.

And on an ethical level I just don't know if I could bring them into a world that will almost certainly see the collapse of civilization and all the horrors it will bring within their lifetime.

Let me tell you, it takes a considerable amount of effort to repress these feelings about the child I already brought into this world. I really hope things don't absolutely suck for them.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I think I might get a cat this year.

We have one kid, two cats, and one dog. It's a blended family of sorts.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I rescued 3 abandoned kittens in 2020 and now they're all grown up and stuck to me like glue. :3:

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
That's fantastic General Dog. Let me know what you think of it after flying it a few times and how the learning curve is, and also maybe if your neighbors complain I would also be interested in that. I both have an interest in buying a drone, and also in learning how to defeat drones.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Mine hops into my lap at around 10-11 am every day and falls asleep, forcing me to stop doing whatever and just 1 armed browse the forums instead of working or whatever.

We have a rule in the house of don't disturb the cat. If she is parked on one of us and we have to get up the treat box gets a shake

I. M. Gei posted:

I rescued 3 abandoned kittens in 2020 and now they're all grown up and stuck to me like glue. :3:

Hell yes

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
General Dog make sure are legal to fly your drone before you do. We live nowhere near an airport but are in an FAA zone that requires registration to fly a drone, something we found out when getting our roof done.

Also, crossposting from GWS but you guys always help me out too:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I also got a drone at Christmas, gonna try and take it to a park or something when the weather warms up a bit.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I’m watching the second season of Reacher and it’s corny as hell. The first season was pretty good too.

The whole “you don’t mess with the special investigators” thing makes it feel like a 10 year old is talking about how badass his friends treehouse club is

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I've been wanting to get a catio for my little guy since he does like going out (if he lets me put his harness on), but immediately wants to bite and eat all the grass / other plants which is a big no no considering he has IBS and would easily upset his stomach.

Your cat instinctively wants some fiber. You can potentially help the cat by adding fiber to their diet via a little psyllium powder (it's basically metamucil, but get pure psyllium so there's no additives) plus a little extra water, to their wet food daily. Of course ask your vet first. But it really helped our cat who had gut issues.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

im so sleepy, i got really hype watching the texas/washington game and stayed up a long time

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Joey Freshwater posted:

I’m watching the second season of Reacher and it’s corny as hell. The first season was pretty good too.

The whole “you don’t mess with the special investigators” thing makes it feel like a 10 year old is talking about how badass his friends treehouse club is

It is a much worse season. To be fair, they are trying to stay extremely faithful to the books and that is the old units catchphrase and they say it a bunch in the book too.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I want a cat and/or a dog and a place big enough to have a small office and/or library set up and can’t do any of that in my current mediocre apartment

For better content, one I know this thread always needs and appreciates, here’s a picture of my aunt and cousins dogs from New Years Eve

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

swickles posted:

Does anyone use any apps to keep track of their kitchen inventory? I'm looking for something I could access from both mine and my wife's phone (Android and iPhone). Tired of wondering if we have X spice or sauce and ending up with 3 bottles. Would like to be able to track what spices, sauces/condiments, and what all we have in our deep freeze. We just packaged a lot of meat and come spring are probably going to be splitting a cow with some neighbors, so it would be nice to have everything on my phone instead of the dry erase board next to the deep freeze.

I could use something similar. My sister helped me organize my pantry and man I had a lot of duplicate things in there. Also a lot of old stuff that needed to be thrown out.

The only saving grace is that I don't have a significant other to buy something I already have enough of, but still embarassing when I have 3 bags of almond flour that haven't even been opened yet.

As dumb as I thought it was at first the refrigerator that has the screen to let you see inside is nice to get a quick inventory glance. No more multiple packages of tortillas or containers of mayonnaise!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pron on VHS posted:

That's fantastic General Dog. Let me know what you think of it after flying it a few times and how the learning curve is, and also maybe if your neighbors complain I would also be interested in that. I both have an interest in buying a drone, and also in learning how to defeat drones.

Here's a shot I got one evening last week.

It's prompted me to finally learn at least some rudimentary video editing as well, though my PC isn't really up to running Da Vinci or anything fancy.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Manoueverable posted:

I mean, everybody’s journey and situation is their own and this is by no means a judgement so much as floating an alternative idea, but I know lots and lots of folks who are foster (or even adoptive) single parents, it doesn’t always have to be the traditional route! Obviously it doesn’t answer if you want an actual bio offspring or would prefer a partner for it (which, trust me, as a single parent would make my life SO much simpler), but if you’re especially determined you still have lots to offer regardless of your relationship status.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

If my tuxie foster girl didn't insist on sleeping in her cat tree I'd be halfway to my 2024 goals.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Funny enough my friend lost their drone when we were in a wooded field last Saturday. It wasn't a DJI but he also has another drone that me may use to look in the upper part of the trees sometime later this month.

Cue my friend sending waves upon waves of drones to look for the missing ones until we can find them by the gigantic pile next to some random doug fir.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

Oh hey this is me too but I turned 37 last August. Doesn't help I've been kicking myself for awhile about the whole kids thing. I met someone this fall who checked all my dating "what are you looking for" boxes. Only she was turning 42 and I want kids.

That ended things and has had me second-guessing the kids thing and the ethical level comment in your post definitely came to mind.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

33, got snipped at the end of 2022, no kids, zero regrets. GF and I have both had multiple “Yep, we made the right decision” moments over the last year when interacting with other people’s children lol. 99% of the time I’m interacting with my niece or a friend’s kid my internal monologue is something like “Ew gross go away” or “wow you are extremely annoying go away”

One of our friends’ kids is like the coolest nicest little dude you’ve ever met, because mom runs a daycare at home and takes it very seriously so he’s extremely nice and polite. Dude still asked if he could have some of my taco dip the last time I was over there and I was like awww sure little buddy! *proceeds to dip chip, suck all the dip off the chip and then shove the chip right back into my taco dip*

Also it probably goes without being said here, but with multiple mentions of snips in the last few pages for the love of god make sure you follow up and test your sperm after because if you don’t you will probably be having another child soon! I had to test twice over a few months before I was given the all clear.

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
Just lol if every post you make in chat isn't groundbreaking and lauded by all the posters you think are the coolest

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

MaximilianK posted:

Just lol if every post you make in chat isn't groundbreaking and lauded by all the posters you think are the coolest

My posts are beautiful treasures that should be enshrined in a museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Look at this precious baby that loves to be held