Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1724835695494123999

Finally getting a physical release on the Heroic Trio/Executioners remaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
McCabe & Mrs. Miller 4k is interesting because the movie has the hazy filter going on with it where Altman pre-exposed the film or whatever. Personally I would've preferred Nashville as the first Altman UHD.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Day one on that Rohmer set

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mostly excited that Josie and the Pussycats is coming to the channel

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I hate reading the monthly announcements for the Channel and seeing *US only on all the stuff I haven't seen yet

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ingmar terdman posted:

Mostly excited that Josie and the Pussycats is coming to the channel

i saw this for the first time on 35mm a couple months ago, it ruled

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This is an unbelievable month god drat

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Josie and the Pussycats and Riki-Oh filling out the Mid 2000s Dorm Room Classics playlist

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

fuckin A

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the best way to play Criterion Channel films on a TV, if I don't have access to the official app (not in the USA)? I tried plugging my MacBook in with an hdmi cable and extending the screen but the colours were a little hosed up, especially the blacks which were kind of blocky - not sure if I need to do something special here, my TV supports hdr10+. I tried playing it via the TV's web browser which has worked for me at my parents but it doesn't play nicely with the Samsung browser

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

distortion park posted:

What's the best way to play Criterion Channel films on a TV, if I don't have access to the official app (not in the USA)? I tried plugging my MacBook in with an hdmi cable and extending the screen but the colours were a little hosed up, especially the blacks which were kind of blocky - not sure if I need to do something special here, my TV supports hdr10+. I tried playing it via the TV's web browser which has worked for me at my parents but it doesn't play nicely with the Samsung browser

Go find a Roku. They have the ones that are just usb flash drive and streams 4k, but Roku has the criterion channel app, and can get them for super cheap. Edit:I just realized your part about not having access to the official app. I’m sorry but I have no ideas.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 20, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The_Rob posted:

Go find a Roku. They have the ones that are just usb flash drive and streams 4k, but Roku has the criterion channel app, and can get them for super cheap. Edit:I just realized your part about not having access to the official app. I’m sorry but I have no ideas.

This made me think of trying chromecast - it looks like I might need the chromecast dongle (gently caress samsung) but in theory that should work as Criterion has instructions on how to cast from your browser.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

distortion park posted:

This made me think of trying chromecast - it looks like I might need the chromecast dongle (gently caress samsung) but in theory that should work as Criterion has instructions on how to cast from your browser.

Yeah, we have a normal TV and sometimes I chromecast from my computer, it works just fine.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Chris Knight posted:

I hate reading the monthly announcements for the Channel and seeing *US only on all the stuff I haven't seen yet

Yeah, I only subscribe to the Channel for a few months of the year. Was excited to sub for October, but didn't see how many of the '90s horror was US only.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grabbed ‘The Others’ 4K on the B&N sale. To be honest that’s not a movie I thought Criterion would do, but I’ll take it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Others getting a physical release is really cool and it makes a few of my stranger wishlist releases more plausible.

I'm hoping to get Shaft for Christmas.

My partner got me a Criterion Channel Annual sub as an early Christmas gift, which is awesome. We watched The Doom Generation and loved it, and I really hope that's one that gets a 4K disc release down the line.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Others getting a physical release is really cool and it makes a few of my stranger wishlist releases more plausible.
Well I mean, it had DVD and Blu releases (I’ve owned them), but getting a premium 4K treatment from Criterion is pretty sweet.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, I just meant physical Criterion vs. just streaming.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks to this month's collections on the Channel I watched Josie & The Pussycats and holy poo poo that was a phenomenal movie. Bubblegum-flavored They Live. Funny as gently caress, great music, absolutely bonkers wild, and the set design and product placement were high art. There's no way 2001 was ready for this movie and yet it's somehow the most Y2K film ever made. I'm so glad they added it. It and Speed Racer (2008) are shaking hands.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's so much good stuff not available outside the US this month :(

Thankfully I have a copy of Josie and a CD of the soundtrack :)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Oh I’ll have to check out Josie with that rec. Anyone have favs of the mgm musicals? I’ve never seen any.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

American in Paris is a trip

also Josie ftmfw

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Thanks to this month's collections on the Channel I watched Josie & The Pussycats and holy poo poo that was a phenomenal movie. Bubblegum-flavored They Live. Funny as gently caress, great music, absolutely bonkers wild, and the set design and product placement were high art. There's no way 2001 was ready for this movie and yet it's somehow the most Y2K film ever made. I'm so glad they added it. It and Speed Racer (2008) are shaking hands.

Yeah Josie and the pussy cats was a movie my sister wanted to see when we were kids and I rolled my eyes at it, and when you actually sit down and watch it it’s legitimately hilarious and smart and satirical and I’m sure so much stuff went over my head and I can’t wait to go back and rewatch it now as an adult.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

checkplease posted:

Oh I’ll have to check out Josie with that rec. Anyone have favs of the mgm musicals? I’ve never seen any.

The songs aren’t really earworms, but I watched It’s Always Fair Weather the other night and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

checkplease posted:

The Band Wagon owns since it's one of the few 50s MGM musicals with Fred Astaire and comes off as more modern.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Josie and the Pussy cats was a lot of fun. Kind of a Zoolander meets They Live as others have stated. Legit music too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one problem with Josie and the Pussycats was it came out just before musicals started to be viable again, so while there are some cool songs (RIP Adam Schlesinger) they’re kinda pushed to the background. It’d be incredible as a proper musical a la Phantom of the Paradise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh poo poo they got The Bed Sitting Room on Criterion Channel.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The new Cat Movies collection on the Channel knows exactly what you're looking for. I love how Criterion does that, just highlights some really interesting movies based around a theme. I wanted cute cat shenanigans and That Darn Cat delivered and then some. It's overall not a great movie - a little slow, sometimes funny but mostly very old-fashioned Disney of-the-era stuff, and it's not really a particularly gripping mystery or caper - but the cat is just so cute. :kimchi: A fun way to relax to some jazz music, enjoy a bit of slapstick, and see a cat do cat things.

In the collection I'm looking forward to finally watching Kuroneko and Inside Llewyn Davis, and The Cassandra Cat seems interesting too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm crushed to discover the movie's not actually called that

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The best cat movie is House

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Heath posted:

The best cat movie is House

You'll be happy to know it's also in that particular collection :science:

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The new Cat Movies collection on the Channel knows exactly what you're looking for. I love how Criterion does that, just highlights some really interesting movies based around a theme. I wanted cute cat shenanigans and That Darn Cat delivered and then some. It's overall not a great movie - a little slow, sometimes funny but mostly very old-fashioned Disney of-the-era stuff, and it's not really a particularly gripping mystery or caper - but the cat is just so cute. :kimchi: A fun way to relax to some jazz music, enjoy a bit of slapstick, and see a cat do cat things.

In the collection I'm looking forward to finally watching Kuroneko and Inside Llewyn Davis, and The Cassandra Cat seems interesting too.

I watched That Darn Cat when I had Disney+ and loved it. It gonna be interesting to see it again with other cat themed movies.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Now go watch felidae

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Now go watch felidae

I really need to watch this one already, it was on youtube last i checked

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Actually looking forward to watching Cat From Outer Space again, last saw it sometime in elementary school at one of the movie nights lol

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The Day The Earth Caught Fire is amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Day The Earth Caught Fire is amazing.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I try not to go too crazy with buying movies, but I admit I have a small Criterion backlog I need to get through. Mostly favorites I've already seen but just haven't watched the Criterion set and perused the features. I'd like to get through the new-to-me stuff for sure. Starting today with the Bruce Lee set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hell yeah

I've been watching the Lone Wolf and Cub set. I've only seen the first 2 but they lucky rear end