Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i can never remember the show's title so i call it "apple space" and it makes my wife mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

there's no such thing as an antiwarcommunist movie

hehehehe

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

it was only the reactor design that prevented an east coast Chernobyl

:thunk:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

at this point the main tell that communists are bad seems to just be that they do stuff in an unnecessarily mean spirited way

the new season of for all mankind tried to emphasize that communists are bad by doing an onscreen violent revolution but this revolution restoring margot to a position of authority at the soviet space program so badly undermines this intended message that the script had to come up with another highly contrived reason to turn margot against the soviets when this whole situation has been an objectively huge upshot for her and everyone else in basically every possible way

I like how Margo now has a limp and tooth pain as a visual shortcut for "Living in Soviet Union is bad for you!"

They really do go out of their way to make Russia look bleak as gently caress. Every building is stained, it's never sunny, etc. I'm sure some of that is truth in television but the degree to which they do it is funny.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

the show really loves reminding us that the kgb is evil but then also show us a scene where the head of the cia pops a stiffy at the idea of activating his martian Pinkerton sleeper agents to put down the strike

I semi-recently watched through The Americans and was struck by how both the KGB and FBI were mostly presented as neither saints nor devils, just people doing a sometimes-messy job, but the CIA (on the rare occasions they turned up) were mustache-twirling evil

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

a nuclear reactor melted down just north of Los Angeles and because it was for weapons research they successfully covered it up for decades, yet another failure of communism

https://www.radiationworks.com/sl1reactor.htm

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

lmfao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory?wprov=sfla1

In 2002, a Department of Energy (DOE) official described typical waste disposal procedures used by Field Lab employees in the past. Workers would dispose of barrels filled with radioactive sodium by dumping them in a pond and then shooting the barrels with rifles so that they would explode and release their contents into the air.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it had a containment building

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Benagain posted:

What if cats are ghosts

cats are chuds and not all chuds are ghosts but all ghosts are chuds

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WampaLord posted:

I like how Margo now has a limp and tooth pain as a visual shortcut for "Living in Soviet Union is bad for you!"

They really do go out of their way to make Russia look bleak as gently caress. Every building is stained, it's never sunny, etc. I'm sure some of that is truth in television but the degree to which they do it is funny.

Tetris movie did this too. Granted the USSR wasn't in good shape in the 80s but they really went out of their way to make it look like a dystopia

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

now that it is in the public domain, I want an MCU kid-friendly hollywood-approved Three Penny Opera movie so bad

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

now that it is in the public domain, I want an MCU kid-friendly hollywood-approved Three Penny Opera movie so bad

you loving philistine

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

WampaLord posted:

tbf 80s DC/NOVA looked pretty bleak too, but you're right not on the level of russia.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tristeham posted:

you loving philistine

Song of the Sufficiency of Human Struggling

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the milk machine posted:

i can never remember the show's title so i call it "apple space" and it makes my wife mad

i would also be mad if my spouse was refusing to make it clear whether they were talking about for all mankind or foundation

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/thegameawards/status/1742301022675214442

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Some Guy TT posted:

i would also be mad if my spouse was refusing to make it clear whether they were talking about for all mankind or foundation
foundation is clearly iphone 40k

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

loquacius posted:

Tetris movie did this too. Granted the USSR wasn't in good shape in the 80s but they really went out of their way to make it look like a dystopia

according to the CIA WorldBook the average Soviet citizen was eating better (narrowly defined by more calories per day, of course) than the average American with more reliable access to healthcare in the mid 80s. it was about to get significantly worse once 88 rolled around, but like, cmon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

imagine if Air was shot as if it took place in 1985 Leningrad

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Some Guy TT posted:

oh man i forgot all about foundation. we just call that one "boring" because gently caress that might be the most boring apple show, it's kind of impressive how much it beats the typical apple show formula in sheer boringness

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it is really slow, but Lee Pace

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
lee pace and jared harris are always a good time whenever they show up in anything but i could not make myself pay attention to foundation

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

season 2 of foundation was better paced than season 1, but yeah beyond Lee Pace/Jared Harris/Terrence Mann the acting falls off real quick. very pretty visuals tho

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

did anyone watch the apple show about the bunker? one person once told me it was good but idk

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Trabisnikof posted:

season 2 of foundation was better paced than season 1, but yeah beyond Lee Pace/Jared Harris/Terrence Mann the acting falls off real quick. very pretty visuals tho

I was going to start foundation since apparently s2 is good.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

did anyone watch the apple show about the bunker? one person once told me it was good but idk

it's ok

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Conan seems like one of those things where lots of people fixated on parodying it but there’s no comedic material. They just take the character as is and go “Get a load of this guy!”

cerebus got a lot of mileage by inverting the dynamic and instead making it "get a load of everyone except this guy!"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sonatinas posted:

I was going to start foundation since apparently s2 is good.

i enjoyed it, it also isnt that "faithful" to the books, if that matters to you. like the 3-clone emperor system in the tv show wasnt in the book and is among the best parts of the show.

its also a great show to watch if you love to read goons losing their minds. the tviv thread for foundation is nuts even by tviv standards. so that's a little bonus.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This man needs his lifetime Oscar

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

indigi posted:

it is really slow, but Lee Pace

halt and catch fire ftw

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Another funny For All Mankind moment, American Freedom is represented by access to hamburger.

When they have the cosmonauts in America to train for the handshake mission, they bring them borscht and pierogi, and the cosmonauts go "we want hamburgers" and they all go eat burgers and beer and the cosmonauts act like this is amazing.

And then again in the most recent episode, Margo orders a room service hamburger now that she's back in America and not in Soviet Russia.

Explaining the concept of freedom to an American screenwriter - "Imagine having burgers. Now imagine there's no burgers. That's Communism."

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

man a new season of True Detective in like two weeks hell yea.

Season 3 was pretty good cant wait for the new one.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

do i have to watch 2 and 3 to watch 4 or are they all singular seasons

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

i say swears online posted:

do i have to watch 2 and 3 to watch 4 or are they all singular seasons

They're all independent of each other, I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

The first few books have some great characters and concepts in them but they absolutely do suffer from Pratchett repeatedly trying to lampoon Conan the Barbarian, which is much less relevant in the 2020s than it was at the time, rather than settle fully into his own poo poo

Kinda funny when he comes back to Cohen years later he ends up doing it a lot better mostly just by playing the character straight in a world that's no longer in the genre that suits him, as well as having been doing it so long he's at Social Security age.

Thing is with Conan is that despite a lot of stories being racist and sexist there's still some pretty solid concepts and stories. The shallow parodies are basically riffing on dimly remembered Conan movies and parodies of parodies with no actual substance or jokes beyond it being a thing that maybe exists. The parodies that actually land are the ones that play on actual specific elements with potential for comedy, like a musclebound barbarian becoming a king with actual responsibilities (Dave the Barbarian), contrasting the character and his genre trappings against what most fantasy has become (abovementioned Discworld) or riffing on actual problems like the problematic elements and the endless sequels. (Disco Elysium, and even then the Man From Hjelmdall seems to mix in a lot more elements of Gor)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so i tried actually watching the first ds9 episode about the maquis and its pretty clear that federation colonists on one side of the dmz and cardassian colonists on the other side of the dmz are picking fights with each other over bullshit so petty the actual federation and cardassian governments are just ignoring them

its a weird plot in general because its not at all clear why the federation and the cardassians cared about this territory enough to swap it in a treaty in the first place if they cant be bothered to pay attention to anything thats happening there

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ArmedZombie posted:

lmfao

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Susana_Field_Laboratory?wprov=sfla1

In 2002, a Department of Energy (DOE) official described typical waste disposal procedures used by Field Lab employees in the past. Workers would dispose of barrels filled with radioactive sodium by dumping them in a pond and then shooting the barrels with rifles so that they would explode and release their contents into the air.

this was less uncommon than you would hope in the industrial research world lol

there's a superfund site in tennessee that exists entirely because a mid-sized chemical company dumped their waste in a pond out back for decades

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

at this point the main tell that communists are bad seems to just be that they do stuff in an unnecessarily mean spirited way

What’s even crazier about Chernobyl is that it didn’t even do that right. All but one of the Soviet higher ups are presented as fundamentally good people genuinely trying to do the right thing and save as many lives as possible. All the antagonists are middle-management trying to hide the truth from the leadership, and who are all at the end justly punished by the big wigs when they learn of their deeds. If one saw that in a movie about modern America you’d think it was Hollywood propaganda.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

loquacius posted:

Discworld post: I'm almost done with Reaper Man and I am TBH not as into this one

Don't you have a disc world avatar? How have you not read the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

Don't you have a disc world avatar? How have you not read the whole thing

There's so many books