Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Nurgle? Slaanesh? No, the world of man falls before the Chaos God Te'Flan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Plastic pollution doesn't really make that much of a difference when the climate is so borked

Endocrine disruption etc. is only a problem if your species is going to make it beyond another century

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
For humans sure but it's not like it's going to go away once we stop making it. Plastic is going to be loving things up for millenia after the climate-driven extinction pulse. Cringe in the oceans and all that

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Car Hater posted:

For humans sure but it's not like it's going to go away once we stop making it. Plastic is going to be loving things up for millenia after the climate-driven extinction pulse. Cringe in the oceans and all that

yeah exactly this and the above post. the articles present it as if we should do something. it’s everywhere. we lost this one already lmao

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hello?? this fleece is recycled, it's good for the environment

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
let them eat plastic

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
nothing like having a fun time knitting and then realizing it's all synthetic yarns and i'm shedding microplastics with every stitch

mags
May 30, 2008

SixteenShells posted:

nothing like having a fun time knitting and then realizing it's all synthetic yarns and i'm shedding microplastics with every stitch

I think about all the line trimming happening with lawn maintenance in every us town every day over and over just grinding down plastic atomizing it into the soil and air as a tiny drop in the polluted boiling sea of human environmental achievements

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

don't think too much about sitting down hard on your couch

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine if plastic were our only problem. This thread would probably still exist, if not by now then pretty drat soon

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

OIL PANIC posted:

let them eat plastic

Eating plastic
It's fantastic (Ah Ah Ahh)

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

thinking about all those squiggling plastic fibers in my brain

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I am not particularly worried about microplastics because the heat will kill us first :)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mags posted:

not saying we shouldn’t reduce our plastic usage (we won’t) but the pervasive level of plastics in every place we look makes me feel it’s already too late here. how do you clean this poo poo up? it’s in the loving plankton. it’s floating in the clouds and in the loving rain. its in our blood, in our children. they’ve been finding it in every placenta they’ve tested

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2023/11/29/rise-of-microplastics-in-placentas/

lol, lmao

So what you are saying is that since we are already at 10 of 10 placentas, there is no reason to stop now. Don't throw the baby away with the bathwater

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

9.2 billion tonnes of plastic are estimated to have been made between 1950 and 2017. More than half this plastic has been produced since 2004. In 2020, 400 million tonnes of plastic were produced. If global trends on plastic demand continue, it is estimated that by 2050 annual global plastic production will reach over 1.1 billion tonnes.

number go up!

:smith:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
plastics make it possible

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mags posted:

not saying we shouldn’t reduce our plastic usage (we won’t) but the pervasive level of plastics in every place we look makes me feel it’s already too late here. how do you clean this poo poo up? it’s in the loving plankton. it’s floating in the clouds and in the loving rain. its in our blood, in our children. they’ve been finding it in every placenta they’ve tested

https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2023/11/29/rise-of-microplastics-in-placentas/

lol, lmao
reminds me how leaded gas caused a global lead contamination, to the point where it was present absolutely everywhere in non-insignificant amounts on the surface of earth:

quote:

But the numbers always came out goofy. “We knew what the amount of lead should be, because we knew the age of the rock from which it came,” Patterson said. But the data was in the stratosphere.

A lightbulb moment rescued them when Tilton realized that the lab itself might be contaminating their samples. Uranium had been tested there previously, and perhaps tiny traces of the element lingered in the air, skewing their data. Tilton moved to a virgin lab, and when he tried again, his numbers emerged spotless.

Patterson figured he had the same problem. He tried to remove lead contamination from his samples. He scrubbed his glassware. Too much lead. He used distilled water. Too much lead. He even tested blank samples that, to his knowledge, contained no lead at all.

Lead still showed up.

“There was lead there that didn’t belong there,” Patterson recalled. “More than there was supposed to be. Where did it come from?”
Patterson analyzed each step of his procedure, from start to finish, to pinpoint the lead’s origins. “I found out there was lead coming from here, there was lead coming from there; there was lead in everything that I was using...” he later said. “It was contamination of every conceivable source that people had never thought about before.”

Lead came from his glassware, his tap water, the paint on the laboratory walls, the desks, the dust in the air, his skin, his clothes, his hair, even motes of wayward dandruff. If Patterson wanted to get accurate results, he had little choice but to become the world’s most obsessive neat freak.
anyway, that poo poo got banned later, i'm sure the same will happen with plastics as surely the institutions and organizations that can do it still exist

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

https://youtu.be/eMtLdE5Zq-8?si=KVWo2KBJzkepkPhJ

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the lead disappeared in the same way the exhaust disappeared: it didn't

mags
May 30, 2008

what I’m hearing is that it’s not that bad

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mags posted:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

i wonder what animals are least vulnerable to microplastics and all the other poo poo (phthalates, pfas, etc)? presumably everything that lives in water is hosed, and so are things that eat a lot of things that live in water. anything that lives on prime agricultural land, likewise. carnivores presumably have it worse than herbivores because of bioaccumulation. what about desert invertebrates that never drink liquid water and only eat rotting plant matter a hundred miles from the nearest pollution source? will they inherit the earth?

hypoallergenic cat breed
Dec 16, 2010

an egg posted:

i wonder what animals are least vulnerable to microplastics and all the other poo poo (phthalates, pfas, etc)? presumably everything that lives in water is hosed, and so are things that eat a lot of things that live in water. anything that lives on prime agricultural land, likewise. carnivores presumably have it worse than herbivores because of bioaccumulation. what about desert invertebrates that never drink liquid water and only eat rotting plant matter a hundred miles from the nearest pollution source? will they inherit the earth?

Desert animals can only survive temperatures up to a point, plastic might affect them less but that's not the biggest issue that's facing the planet. Perhaps extremophiles living in volcano calderas?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

mags posted:

yet

:mmmhmm:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
We just have to wait for volcanoes to overrun the Earth's surface, then the plastic will be melted back down into its constituent elements and be rendered harmless to future organisms

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

We just have to wait for volcanoes to overrun the Earth's surface, then the plastic will be melted back down into its constituent elements and be rendered harmless to future organisms

if you worked with this idea some more I bet you could come up with a carbon credit scheme out of it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
"Glob mops" is a cotton swab product which exists for cleaning marijuana paraphenalia.

Notably, the reason I know this, is my observation that Q-Tip brand "cotton swabs", when used to clean glass at any heat at all, deform and produce vapors that seem much more like a plastic containing product, than not.

When I pointed this out to my spouse they said "well, you can pay extra for ones that say 100% cotton on them" and I gestured at my 3-for-1 300 count tub of "Glob mops"

e: glob mops also have 1 end like a q-tip and 1 end like a triangular gun-cleaning swap, so you can just 3-for-1 on use cases. Plz use my amazon affiliate code thx

the ones i have say "Glob mops XL 2.0". They're not any bigger than normal q-tips, and god help ANYONE still using the v1 ones, those were found to be buggy as hell!

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Jan 2, 2024

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
glob mopping up in here

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

yeah i always hoped that at least like the stuff that doesn't even need light that lives down at the deep sea vents would be able to adapt but idk w oceans getting all acidy. maybe things that are already really smart at filtering or sorting through their food can avoid the bad particles. are ants good at that?

cool paper about animals that live symbiotically with chemosynthetic bacteria, some have evolved to not need their digestive system anymore, pretty weird

https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(20)31075-7 posted:

Chemosynthetic symbioses
Summary
Symbioses between chemosynthetic bacteria and eukaryotic hosts can be found almost everywhere in the ocean, from shallow-water seagrass beds and coral reef sediments to the deep sea. Yet no one knew these existed until 45 years ago, when teeming communities of animals were found thriving at hydrothermal vents two and a half kilometers below the sea surface. The discovery of these lightless ecosystems revolutionized our understanding of the energy sources that fuel life on Earth. Animals thrive at vents because they live in a nutritional symbiosis with chemosynthetic bacteria that grow on chemical compounds gushing out of the vents, such as sulfide and methane, which animals cannot use on their own. The symbionts gain energy from the oxidation of these reduced substrates to fix CO2 and other simple carbon compounds into biomass, which is then transferred to the host. By associating with chemosynthetic bacteria, animals and protists can thrive in environments in which there is not enough organic carbon to support their nutrition, including oligotrophic habitats like coral reefs and seagrass meadows. Chemosymbioses have evolved repeatedly and independently in multiple lineages of marine invertebrates and bacteria, highlighting the strong selective advantage for both hosts and symbionts in forming these associations. Here, we provide a brief overview of chemosynthesis and how these symbioses function. We highlight some of the current research in this field and outline several promising avenues for future research.

Main Text
Beyond light energy: the discovery of chemosynthesis
Over 130 years ago, the Russian microbiologist Sergei Winogradsky revolutionized our understanding of primary production on Earth. At the time, scientists assumed that primary production, the ability to produce biomass by fixing carbon dioxide (CO2), could only be accomplished through the light-driven process of photosynthesis. Winogradsky realized that some bacteria fix CO2 in the absence of light through a process later coined chemosynthesis. Instead of using light as an energy source, chemosynthetic microorganisms use chemical energy released during the oxidation of reduced compounds such as sulfide to produce biomass. To this day, photosynthesis and chemosynthesis are the only known forms of primary production on our planet.

For almost a century, only a small group of microbiologists were interested in chemosynthesis. It took until 1977 and a dive in the research-submersible Alvin to the ocean floor two and half kilometers below the sea surface to realize that chemosynthesis also fuels large animal communities. The geologists sitting in Alvin were searching for deep-sea hot springs where tectonic plates spread apart. When they discovered the first hydrothermal vent, it was the sight of vast fields of giant tubeworms and clams that stunned them. What could these large animal communities be feeding on at these lightless depths in the absence of photosynthesis? Even more puzzling, Riftia, the giant tubeworm, had neither a mouth nor a gut. Researchers soon realized that these animals were densely filled with chemosynthetic bacteria that grow by using the energy released during the oxidation of sulfide to fix CO2 into organic compounds. The tubeworm farms its symbionts by supplying them with oxygen, sulfide and CO2, after which the worm then proceeds to eat them. This symbiosis allows Riftia to indirectly thrive on inorganic compounds, like sulfide and CO2 that animals cannot use on their own, to gain energy and carbon.

Ironically, it took the discovery of Riftia at hydrothermal vents in the deep sea for researchers to realize that chemosynthetic symbioses occur in much more mundane and accessible marine environments. Once biologists knew what to look for, namely animals with reduced digestive systems and/or dense communities of microorganisms on or in their bodies, they discovered that many shallow-water invertebrates also house chemosynthetic bacteria. Today, we find chemosymbioses flourishing in environments where sulfide and other reduced energy resources co-occur with oxidants such as oxygen and nitrate (Figure 1).

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
glob mop sounds like gay slang for a mustache

edit: i have been informed i was thinking of coom broom, sorry

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I think about this interaction 5 times a week.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You have any idea the average money a glob mopper makes per hour?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Eyyyyy I'm moppin' globs 'ere

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
re: plastichat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSnIjxVKlqo

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

if it was really intelligent it would have tried to kill all the humans involved in this

Argentum
Feb 6, 2011
UGLY LIKE BOWEL CANCER
Some humans will be lucky enough to fossilize and get a chance to become plastic in the far future and i think thats beautiful

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
rising sea levels: loving solved!

https://twitter.com/DeeNinis/status/1742297139559227650

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
I wonder how the biological properties of plastic particles compare to asbestos fibres. As we've discussed in this thread, plasticosis has already been coined to mean microplastic-caused chronic inflammation of the intestines, but I wonder if plastic fibres in the lungs would lead to something like asbestosis- are we going to see a rash of heavily scarred and disabled lungs some decades down the line?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i wouldn't be shocked. For example: my parents insist on buying cheap as gently caress plastic everything fabric, which continually visibly disintegrates, and they're constantly hacking and coughing as if they're heavy smokers.

i was there and thought there was a loving baby rabbit outside, was like "holy fuckin poo poo climate change really is kicking in," and saw it was this agglutinated clump of plastic fibers that had glommed together and gotten loose out the dryer vent. I grabbed it and threw it in the trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Haha, imagine seeing a living creature completely out of it's naturally appropriate context and thinking "oh boy that's a biosphere collapse" only to realise... it was a big ol pile of plastic

A shot-chaser crack ping if ever I heard one