Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode is where upon finishing the episode I was like, "That was complete and utter poo poo. What the gently caress."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

You Are A Werewolf posted:

The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode is where upon finishing the episode I was like, "That was complete and utter poo poo. What the gently caress."

the lollapalooza episode was loving terrible and way earlier

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

hawowanlawow posted:

That was an early stinker, but it still had some good lines.

Homer Simpson, smiling politely.

Hate crime!

I'm sending you to a vet

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Toxic Mental posted:

The first two seasons, they didn't let any of the jokes breathe, because apparently Bart going "don't have a cow, man" was so revolutionary that you didn't need to actually have comedic beats

I'll maybe give you season 1 for that but the pacing in season 2 is fan-loving-tastic. You're gonna tell me that whole "I passed! I passed! Ugh, I kissed the teacher!" part of Bart Gets An F doesn't have great comedic beats? Season 2's reputation deserves to be much better.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
hullabalooza is great

get out

"you're not going to eat allllll that watermelon, mr frampton"

great username
Dec 28, 2023

hawowanlawow posted:

No way, boo to this opinion. Lots of classic lines

EDIT:
I do agree it is one of the earlier flimsy premises they run with, but they still manage to chew enough meat off to make it good.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

FrumpleOrz posted:

I'll maybe give you season 1 for that but the pacing in season 2 is fan-loving-tastic. You're gonna tell me that whole "I passed! I passed! Ugh, I kissed the teacher!" part of Bart Gets An F doesn't have great comedic beats? Season 2's reputation deserves to be much better.

Yeah it has the same problem, not quite as pronounced but still like 85% as bad. Go back and watch season 2, episode 20 The War of the Simpsons at around 14 minutes. Just nonstop lines, no breathing, and the "joke" line about the cigar is instantly cut off by a transition.

The other fatal flaw is what you directly reference, the first two seasons were way, way overly saccharine sweet at times. Instead of being funnier they would rather have been more "nice" in how they ended and that hamstrung all the writing earlier in the episode. Compare that to the Hank Scorpio episode or something where they didn't feel the need to resolve everything so sweetly.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 2, 2024

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
You're all referencing these episodes that were some of the last ones I remember watching, and I cannot wrap my head around the fact that SO MANY seasons have happened since then. Like, an overwhelming majority of the series.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Greg12 posted:

hullabalooza is great

get out

"you're not going to eat allllll that watermelon, mr frampton"

I like the later scene when we catch a quick glimpse of all the members of Sonic Youth holding an impossibly huge slice of watermelon.

Also, Cypress Hill and the orchestra is dope.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

"Are you like... being sarcastic man?"

"... I don't even know anymore :("

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's funny, Homerpalooza felt tired at the time (IMO!), but I bet if I watched it now I'd love it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah it has the same problem, not quite as pronounced but still like 85% as bad. Go back and watch season 2, episode 20 The War of the Simpsons at around 14 minutes. Just nonstop lines, no breathing, and the "joke" line about the cigar is instantly cut off by a transition.

The other fatal flaw is what you directly reference, the first two seasons were way, way overly saccharine sweet at times. Instead of being funnier they would rather have been more "nice" in how they ended and that hamstrung all the writing earlier in the episode. Compare that to the Hank Scorpio episode or something where they didn't feel the need to resolve everything so sweetly.

I'll give you season 1, but season 2 is great and I'd kill to have a show today like Simpsons season 2. The Simpsons having occasional moments of heart all along balanced out by wacky moments is one of the reasons it was great.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Homerpalooza at least incorporated the celebrity guests into the humor and gave them some great memorable lines and moments.

The Alec Baldwin/Kim Basinger episode was just 22 minutes of celebrity worship garbage without humor. It's so bad I couldn't even remember the title and had to look it up (When You Dish Upon a Star).

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hawowanlawow posted:

What that episode owns

"Got any messages to Jimi Hendrix?"
"Yes: 'pick up your puppy!'"

"Now, Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship.The stage was now set for The Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft."

Homer's entire flashback.

"Dear Lord, if you keep Homer from embarrassing us today, we promise to build several churches in your honor."

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich."

"What religion are you?"
"You know... The one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work out in real life... Uh... Christianity!"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

One of my fave deliveries in old simpsons is in Lemon of Troy where Abe is telling the group of kids about that the lemon tree had been there since frontier times, the kids uncharacteristically oooh and ahhh and he yells “shut uuup!!” at them

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Last Chance posted:

One of my fave deliveries in old simpsons is in Lemon of Troy where Abe is telling the group of kids about that the lemon tree had been there since frontier times, the kids uncharacteristically oooh and ahhh and he yells “shut uuup!!” at them

That's a banger episode.

gently caress, as soon as I think of these things, I have like a dozen lines I can spit out instantly

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I like how the voice for bizarro Shelbyville Homer is Castellaneta doing the Homer voice like as Cameron from Ferris Bueller's adult-on-the-phone voice.
"Shake harder, boy!" -> "ROONEY!"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lemons being the sweetest fruit available at the time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Last Chance posted:

Wow, topical, the couch gag bit for that episode is a Steamboat Willie reference

great username
Dec 28, 2023

hawowanlawow posted:

lemons being the sweetest fruit available at the time

Heyyyy... there's a lemon behind that rock! :haw:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Lemon of Troy is unquestionably a top 5 episode. It makes me wish they did more "kids go on an adventure" episodes.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

redshirt posted:

Wow, topical, the couch gag bit for that episode is a Steamboat Willie reference

Haha really? I skipped the intro when I watched it the other night. It really is an all timer

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Good old Shelbyville Manhattan, the cousin marrier.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I will always go to bat for Homerpalooza. Homer acts like my dad in it, the celebrities are funny, and I used to know someone who was just like the "HATE CRIIIIIIME!" girl. The freak show element is a bit of a wacky premise, but overall I think it's an entertaining episode that does a good job spoofing post-grunge youth culture and showing how tastes inevitably change across generations.

Suicidal Tendencies (formerly Good Vibrations)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol the Nelson and Martin in Shelbyville teamup

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol "A car impound lot! The impenetrable fortress of Suburbia!"

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
there's a lemon behind that rock!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I liked the part where someone is talking about how there's a line separating Springfield and Shelbyville that is dangerous to cross, and then it cuts to Lisa and Janie (?) frolicking back and forth from one side to the other, but I can't find the clip on YouTube

great username
Dec 28, 2023

https://i.imgur.com/LmlWmO0.mp4

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

E: beaten but lol

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 3, 2024

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Lemon of Troy is unquestionably a top 5 episode. It makes me wish they did more "kids go on an adventure" episodes.

And with that, a mighty cheer went up from the writers of new simpsons. They had banished the awful lemon tree episode forever, because it was haunted.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

"Sounds like Springfield's got a discipline problem."
"Maybe that's why we beat 'em at football nearly half the time, huh"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It's a great Milhouse episode. Camo Milhouse. Meeting Shelbyville Milhouse.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

redshirt posted:

Meeting Shelbyville Milhouse.

"So this is what it feels like... when doves cry :cry:"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

redshirt posted:

It's a great Milhouse episode. Camo Milhouse. Meeting Shelbyville Milhouse.

they're always eating candy in Shelbyville, they looove the sweet taste

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

wikipedia posted:

Forrester wrote for The Simpsons between 1993 and 1997. He wrote the episodes: "Homer vs. Patty and Selma", "Lemon of Troy", the Krusty Burger segment of "22 Short Films About Springfield", and "Homerpalooza". "Homerpalooza" was based on a story by David X. Cohen, although Forrester wrote the script. To do research for the episode, Forrester went to one of the Lollapalooza concerts, which ended up being a horrible experience. Several of the jokes in the episode are based on his experiences: cameras (including his own) were being seized and thrown in the garbage, there were numerous advertisements, several "sour faced teens", a real freak show and at one point a stranger approached Forrester and asked "how's it going, nark?"

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I expect your letter of resignation on my desk. You have a desk? I mean the hood of my car.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cocaine Bear posted:

I expect your letter of resignation on my desk. You have a desk? I mean the hood of my car.

"I'm eating my lunch here Director"

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Bart voice: "There's a 𝓁𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝒷𝑒𝒽𝒾𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝓇𝑜𝒸𝓀!✨"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

Wow! I had mustard?!