Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Count Roland posted:

But by this same token the US doesn't want a "stable" (read: mostly friendly) country like Egypt to start buying their weapons from Russia instead of American companies.

A little late for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is dark even given the current bloody war but: what if Israel drove the population of Gaza into Syria?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

lightpole posted:

Even Isreal shouldn't have an interest due to the dangers of unstable neighbors.

I'm not sure that the current Israeli government is purely practical and calculative.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Count Roland posted:

This is dark even given the current bloody war but: what if Israel drove the population of Gaza into Syria?

What kind of hosed up "what if" scenarios you are talking about. No peoples should be driven off to anywhere. Its genocide, period.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Count Roland posted:

They have to haul them up the entire length of Israel to do that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mlmp08 posted:

Israel's Minister of National Security has a proposal.

gently caress me sideways, someone explain to me why this isn't The Final Solution To The Problem Of Gazans

Count Roland posted:

Wrong end of the country. Check a map real quick - Gaza borders Egypt, which is why there's been a few posts itt about Egyptian policy preference on immigration and Gaza.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 1, 2024

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Count Roland posted:

If somehow Egypt was sufficiently bribed maybe it could set up a sort of neighbouring enclave on their side of the border, still adjacent to Israel. Call it a temporary humanitarian camp. Don't use the word refugee. Use the Israeli strategy of blockade to prevent the Gazans from integrating into Egyptian society. Make UNRWA responsible for for the camp, so the Egyptian state doesn't need to worry about feeding everyone. Hand-wave about their being a plan to re-integrate Palestinians into Gaza after Hamas is flushed out or something. This still seems far-fetched but may be possible.

This is literally what the Gaza Strip is. Egyptian territory set aside for Palestinian expelled from Israeli-controlled territory. Then Israel took control of Gaza, too.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Count Roland posted:

How about you don't do this and you get to keep posting?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Godholio posted:

This is literally what the Gaza Strip is. Egyptian territory set aside for Palestinian expelled from Israeli-controlled territory. Then Israel took control of Gaza, too.

Can you link to this? Just the other day I was trying to figure out how Gaza's exact borders were determined. I failed. I'd like to know more about it.

McNally posted:

How about you don't do this and you get to keep posting?

Uh, ok. Was this part just too dark? What about my other recent posts in this thread?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Count Roland posted:

Uh, ok. Was this part just too dark? What about my other recent posts in this thread?

Yeah, this one felt a little too "how can this genocide get genocidier?"

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

McNally posted:

Yeah, this one felt a little too "how can this genocide get genocidier?"

Ok fair enough, I'll gently caress off on that one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

Can you link to this? Just the other day I was trying to figure out how Gaza's exact borders were determined. I failed. I'd like to know more about it.

If you're catching up this much, just start here for a background, then go on further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_Strip

For more recent events, this has some major highlights of the last 30-ish years. https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/world/israel/64132/all-that-remains

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

If you're catching up this much, just start here for a background, then go on further: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_Strip

For more recent events, this has some major highlights of the last 30-ish years. https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/world/israel/64132/all-that-remains

Nah wasn't looking for highlights, was wondering if anyone knew about the specific borders before I took the time to go deeper.

Anyway, I did just dig it up now. Apparently its called the Green Line. It comes from the armistice agreements signed by Israel and the Arab states in '49, after the war. The line is a demarcation line, never intended to be a border, but there you go. A larger territory around Gaza was proposed as part of the partition plan of '47 but never materialized.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

Nah wasn't looking for highlights, was wondering if anyone knew about the specific borders before I took the time to go deeper.

The answer is "yes," but it was faster to just link you to the wikipedia article, since you were asking for sources to be linked to you. But glad you were able to dig up this information on your own. The relevant part of what Godholio was talking about regarding Israel seizing control of the gaza strip occurred well after 1949.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Looks like Israel just did a drone strike in southern Beirut.
https://apnews.com/article/lebanon-beirut-explosion-suburbs-hezbollah-israel-2a43fe948e8cb49c64b34bb963d77f64

quote:

BEIRUT (AP) — The TV station of Lebanon’s Hezbollah group says top Hamas official Saleh Arouri was killed Tuesday in an explosion in a southern Beirut suburb.

Arouri, one of the founders of Hamas’ military wing, had headed the group’s presence in the West Bank. Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had threatened to kill him even before the Hamas-Israel war began on Oct. 7.

Israeli officials declined to comment.

Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency said the blast killed four people and was carried out by an Israeli drone.

Other articles say the blast occurred in Dahiyeh, which is Hezbollah's main stronghold in Beirut. This definitely marks an escalation as Israel hasn't hit Beirut since the 2006 war.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Where else are there Hamas leaders?

UAE I believe has some. Israel can't exactly drone strike those but assassinations are always possible.

Palestinian leaders of some variety were in Syria before the civil war but left when it really kicked off. I'm not sure if any have returned since the fitting died down.

Iran? Turkey?

E:
I conflated Qatar with UAE. The UAE would not tolerate a group like Hamas on its territory

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 2, 2024

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Count Roland posted:

Where else are there Hamas leaders?

UAE I believe has some. Israel can't exactly drone strike those but assassinations are always possible.

Palestinian leaders of some variety were in Syria before the civil war but left when it really kicked off. I'm not sure if any have returned since the fitting died down.

Iran? Turkey?

Qatar, Tunisia, Algeria all come to mind. I think Qatar was planning on kicking out the Hamas figures who have been in Doha because they don't want assassinations happening in their country.

Ismail Haniyeh, Hamas' former political leader who was exiled to Damascus, found himself PNG'd after he publicly sided with the Syrian rebels against Bashar al-Assad. Not sure if Hamas' current pro-Iran leadership has a presence there again.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Qatar openly supports and funds Hamas (and Gaza)(and for people who don't even know where the Gaza strip and West Bank are, also with permission from Israel), and Hamas leadership in Qatar is not exactly in hiding.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/BarakRavid/status/1742210055854789040

I guess when you've defended Jeffrey Epstein, defending Israel in the ICC is just the next logical rung in the Ladder of Tarnished Legacies.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Shot

Times of Israel posted:

Israel in talks with Congo and other countries on Gaza ‘voluntary migration’ plan
Senior official says Jerusalem working on postwar resettlement of Palestinians from Strip; some ministers tout Saudi Arabia as destination for Gazans seeking construction work

The “voluntary” resettlement of Palestinians from Gaza is slowly becoming a key official policy of the government, with a senior official saying that Israel has held talks with several countries for their potential absorption.

Zman Israel, The Times of Israel’s Hebrew sister site, has learned that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition is conducting secret contacts for accepting thousands of immigrants from Gaza with Congo, in addition to other nations.

“Congo will be willing to take in migrants, and we’re in talks with others,” a senior source in the security cabinet said.

Congo has high levels of inequality, and 52.5 percent of the population lives below the poverty line, according to the World Food Programme.
Last Monday, Netanyahu told a Likud faction meeting that he is working to facilitate the voluntary migration of Gazans to other countries.

“Our problem is [finding] countries that are willing to absorb Gazans, and we are working on it,” he said.

The prime minister was responding to Likud MK Danny Danon, who claimed that “the world is already discussing the possibilities of voluntary immigration,” though the idea has been roundly rejected by the international community.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-in-talks-with-congo-and-other-countries-on-gaza-voluntary-migration-plan/

Chaser

The Biden administration posted:

The United States rejects recent statements from Israeli Ministers Bezalel Smotrich and Itamar Ben Gvir advocating for the resettlement of Palestinians outside of Gaza. This rhetoric is inflammatory and irresponsible. We have been told repeatedly and consistently by the Government of Israel, including by the Prime Minister, that such statements do not reflect the policy of the Israeli government. They should stop immediately.

We have been clear, consistent, and unequivocal that Gaza is Palestinian land and will remain Palestinian land, with Hamas no longer in control of its future and with no terror groups able to threaten Israel. That is the future we seek, in the interests of Israelis and Palestinians, the surrounding region, and the world.
https://www.state.gov/rejection-of-irresponsible-statements-on-resettlement-of-palestinians-outside-of-gaza/

I appreciate that the administration has at least voiced pushback, but it means gently caress all if not followed up with action.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Oh wow, Israel is doing exactly what everyone said they were gonna do, because they've been doing it for decades (ethnically cleansing Palestinians). What a shock and surprise.

I'm sure Biden is strongly considering writing a weak tea letter asking "maybe please don't do that but you know only if you wanna (new guns and bombs are still coming though)."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The loving Madagascar plan?! :psyduck:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's National Security Minister and a major member of the country's far right, tweeted this yesterday:
https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1742291293307310186?t=YiV79H6JEUz0-k9oURIMFw&s=19

Translation:

quote:

Really appreciate the United States of America but with all due respect we are not another star on the American flag. The United States is our best friend, but first of all we will do what is best for the State of Israel: the migration of hundreds of thousands from Gaza will allow the residents of the enclave to return home and live in security and protect the IDF soldiers.

So yeah, forced transfer and annexation sure does seem to be on the menu.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Nonono, it's not Madagascar, so it's fine.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

quote:

On Tuesday, Intelligence Minister Gila Gamliel told Zman that “voluntary migration is the best and most realistic program for the day after the fighting ends.”

On Tuesday, during a conference held in the Knesset to examine possibilities for postwar Gaza, Gamliel said: “At the end of the war, Hamas rule will collapse. There are no municipal authorities; the civilian population will be entirely dependent on humanitarian aid. There will be no work, and 60% of Gaza’s agricultural land will become security buffer zones.”

In internal discussions, Gamliel presented a map of the Gaza Strip after the fighting that shows remaining residents boxed in. Israel would cut ties with Gaza and expand its security buffer zones; control the Philadelphi Corridor, which runs along the 14-kilometer (8.7-mile) Gaza-Egypt border (a plan attacked by an Egyptian lawmaker on Saturday after it was announced by Netanyahu); and establish a permanent naval blockade.

NOT ETHNIC CLEANSING DON'T CALL IT ETHNIC CLEANSING YOU ANTISEMITES

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

To loving Congo of all places, man

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Never Again(to us)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TaurusTorus posted:

Never Again(to us)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's National Security Minister and a major member of the country's far right, tweeted this yesterday:
https://twitter.com/itamarbengvir/status/1742291293307310186?t=YiV79H6JEUz0-k9oURIMFw&s=19

Translation:

So yeah, forced transfer and annexation sure does seem to be on the menu.

Wow they're really daring the US to do something about it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Count Roland posted:

"I learned it all from you, Dad"- Israel

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was just telling my gf about that. The Madagascar Plan I hadn't heard of, which is unfortunately a better comparison right now.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

Never Again(to us)

There's a subset of people who think "Never Again" to mean that never again shall Jews be complict in the persecution of other Jews (Judenrat, Jewish Ghetto Police, etc.)

Which, ok. That whole thing was tragedy after tragedy. A misery upon misery.

Now the very state that was supposed to ensure that wouldn't happen is causing, directly or indirectly, a rise in, and reinforcement of, anti-Semitism.

While I don't think Israel will be as much of a pariah state as it has been anytime soon over the current genocide of Palestinians, I do think things will get more difficult for Israeli Jews as a whole. This conflict is already creating a certain disconnect between Israel and the world at large. What happens next will definitely effect younger Israelis as they grow up.

As an American who was a teenager on 9/11... I know, I know. I think America is the world. Hear me out, please. ...I have seen how this kind of thing warps reality within a country. The fear and hatred may fade, but what they cause (war, destruction, other inhumane acts and feelings) could increasingly feel justified and become internalized. Then what? Questions? Answers? Reflection? Bitterness? Change for the better? For who? I can't think of very many good things to come from revenge.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir; to so many here who waged war after 9/11, some as teenagers when I was one, and some well into adulthood.

Maybe I'm talking out my rear end.

I was going somewhere with this, I swear.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

That post wasn't meant to minimize the suffering of Palestinians or go "boo-hoo, poor IDF".

Just an observation about what this insanity can do to folks.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

One, I empathize very strongly with your post in every way outside being a lifelong civilian myself :sympathy:

Two,

madeintaipei posted:

Then what? Questions? Answers? Reflection? Bitterness? Change for the better? For who? I can't think of very many good things to come from revenge.

Pessimistically, I really don't think populations ask questions like this, regardless of how important they are for self growth / correction / improvement after severe mistakes at an individual level.

We watch or do or enable the Bad Thing, then we cry about it a little bit, then tell ourselves a tidy narrative that the process was transformative and we're better for it and we move onward to writing other little self-flattering narratives about our people. We don't linger, we aren't called by a higher power or greater force to actually simmer and change ourselves.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 4, 2024

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

One, I empathize very strongly with your post in every way outside being a lifelong civilian myself :sympathy:

Two,

Pessimistically, I really don't think populations ask questions like this, regardless of how important they are for self growth / correction / improvement after severe mistakes at an individual level.

We watch or do or enable the Bad Thing, then we cry about it a little bit, then tell ourselves a tidy narrative that the process was transformative and we're better for it and we move onward to writing other little self-flattering narratives about our people. We don't linger, we aren't called by a higher power or greater force to actually simmer and change ourselves.

I can see that.

Opa was a Waffen SS man who deserted after the Battle of Berlin. Oma was heavily involved in the BDM. Kids, then. 16-17 years old.

A totally normal upbringing for their kids. Those years of war were never mentioned. Not a word.

Opa was run over by a drunken cousin of his driving a VW Beetle while walking back from the wake of another relative with his son (my dad).

Oma died of an aneurysm in 2005. Broke her skull on the way down, but was already dead according to the ME.

They were good people. Took care of what they could. Didn't contradict their daughter during the 1968 student movement. Didn't chide my dad later when he protested against the nuke plants (six months before he spent a year and a half in the Heer).

What happened around their village after the Nazis took power only comes out when my dad sees old folks attending funerals or cleaning grave stones at the church. Sometimes it's their children who share what they heard.

The memories, good or bad, are almost totally faded and forgotten.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Count Roland posted:

OH SO YOU CARE A LOT ABOUT GENOCIDE WHY ARE YOU ONLY POSTING ABOUT GAZA AND NOT THE CONGO, HUH?

hey speaking of the congo, I hear it's a nice place this time of year

mrmcd posted:

I'm sure Biden is strongly considering writing a weak tea letter asking "maybe please don't do that but you know only if you wanna (new guns and bombs are still coming though)."

Netanyahu was literally filmed bragging about how he played Clinton by going along with the peace process in bad faith. It should be no secret that he will happily lie to POTUS's face because he knows the money, guns, and UNSC vetos will keep coming.

Either the Biden admin is just playing the game too or they're spectacularly, intergalactically stupid.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

OH SO YOU CARE A LOT ABOUT GENOCIDE WHY ARE YOU ONLY POSTING ABOUT GAZA AND NOT THE CONGO, HUH?

hey speaking of the congo, I hear it's a nice place this time of year

I know you're being facetious but a few pages back I actually did write a paragraph about how Congo (and Sudan) are also awful bloody genocidal conflicts and should be spoken of in the same breath as Israel/Gaza.

I imagine the Israeli ministers were talking about Republic of Congo, which is smaller and more peaceful than DR Congo. But at this point who knows.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

News:

3 or 4 Hezbollah fighters in southern Lebanon are killed by Israeli airstrikes. This comes after Hamas official killed in Beirut. The pressure on Hezbollah to respond more strongly increases.
https://www.voanews.com/a/hezbollah-says-three-of-its-fighters-killed-in-southern-lebanon-/7420643.html

Iran revises down death toll from bombing to 84, with hundreds wounded. Vows a harsh response, has not pointed fingers yet.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-67872281

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Count Roland posted:

I know you're being facetious but a few pages back I actually did write a paragraph about how Congo (and Sudan) are also awful bloody genocidal conflicts and should be spoken of in the same breath as Israel/Gaza.

I get it. There are two sides to this coin. Gaza is absolutely not the only deliberately perpetrated horror going on in the world, and that deserves attention.

However the pro-IDF crew online like to turn this around and play the game of "well I don't see any tweets about Congo or Myanmar on your feed, clearly your problem isn't with genocide, you're just an antisemite!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Discussion Quorum posted:

I get it. There are two sides to this coin. Gaza is absolutely not the only deliberately perpetrated horror going on in the world, and that deserves attention.

However the pro-IDF crew online like to turn this around and play the game of "well I don't see any tweets about Congo or Myanmar on your feed, clearly your problem isn't with genocide, you're just an antisemite!"

I know, it's dumb and annoying. It's actually fine to care about since things more than others. Humans paying exactly equal attention and sympathy to everyone is about the opposite of how we actually work.