Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Same with extractors. After Kiava Gamma between the rewards and projects you can get 20 almost immediately when up to that point they've been extremely scare.

So then you get to slowly creep around the map point to point to see where you can now place extractors.

It would be one thing if it was set up for finding Kiava Gamma first, but unless I'm missing something like enemies scale to your level, the KG boss fight is easily the hardest story fight in Act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I never ran out of navigator points because I've played enough videogames to know that zeroing out your resources is always a bad idea since you might need them later but I did eventually give up and use Toybox to add them just so I could fly direct routes instead of spending several minutes tediously hopping across the galaxy one system and text event at a time.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I know there's no reason not to Toybox the game and I will if there's some run ending bug because an event doesn't trigger. But how did they release with a system like this.

I guess it goes back to something owlcat loves, busy work. Like I said before a good half of the expanse map is just busy work.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I've never played Owlcat game without Toybox and I'm not going to start now, even with Rogue Trader being the least janky and tedious Owlcat game so far.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Is there a sink for navigator points later on? I haven't been using them at all except to turn orange routes into yellow so I have like 25 saved up. Even though yellow routes are called Unsafe I find that 95% of the time you just get random spooky events that don't appear to have any consequence. The one time something actually happened it was just an encounter with 3 pink horrors that got evaporated in a single turn.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Ojetor posted:

Is there a sink for navigator points later on? I haven't been using them at all except to turn orange routes into yellow so I have like 25 saved up. Even though yellow routes are called Unsafe I find that 95% of the time you just get random spooky events that don't appear to have any consequence. The one time something actually happened it was just an encounter with 3 pink horrors that got evaporated in a single turn.

no. this is also basically what I did, green connections between dargonus and the other colonies and then everything else yellow or orange, and I ended with like 40 points.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Aramoro posted:

I know there's no reason not to Toybox the game and I will if there's some run ending bug because an event doesn't trigger. But how did they release with a system like this.

I guess it goes back to something owlcat loves, busy work. Like I said before a good half of the expanse map is just busy work.

I know that if I download toybox I'll stop doing the fights and then I'll just stop playing and I do want to actually finish the game.

I'm on what I assume is the final fight of act 3 and I'm getting welped. Think it's time to put it down to Story mode. The Incubus kill my guys so loving quickly
(note the only officer I have is Cassia and I have no officer powers on her whatsoever)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Eediot Jedi posted:

Just use toybox if you run out of navigator points. Treat it like a time saving loan and take some away later to balance it out. There isn't any gamer valour wasting your time spamming travel routes for an rng event.

May you be granted the emperor's peace if you're the kind of brain worms that refuses toybox because it's cheating, recommending quicksave/quickload before travelling instead, and then militantly posts "cheaters :rolleyes:" on the steam forums every time it comes up.

I think I need to replay because I'm not sure how you'd run out of Navigator points unless you're turning every path green which is super unnecessary. Yellow is fine for heavy travel unless you want to avoid every single possible chance of a combat encounter, orange for lpnger trips to a sector where you can deal with a fight because its going to be a while before you go back. Thr game gets pretty generous with the points I feel.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

I think I need to replay because I'm not sure how you'd run out of Navigator points unless you're turning every path green which is super unnecessary. Yellow is fine for heavy travel unless you want to avoid every single possible chance of a combat encounter, orange for lpnger trips to a sector where you can deal with a fight because its going to be a while before you go back. Thr game gets pretty generous with the points I feel.

I had what felt like loads of points so yea I turned every path green because constant random encounters was getting really tedious.
I just had no idea that I'd need to be throwing them around for paths later and basically wasted them because I got to a point where it felt like I had loads and no other use for them

And oh no, even on Story I can't do this fight. I wish Story was like it was in Wrath which is "god mode". I wanna get on with the game please

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taear posted:

I had what felt like loads of points so yea I turned every path green because constant random encounters was getting really tedious.
I just had no idea that I'd need to be throwing them around for paths later and basically wasted them because I got to a point where it felt like I had loads and no other use for them

And oh no, even on Story I can't do this fight. I wish Story was like it was in Wrath which is "god mode". I wanna get on with the game please

I think at level yellow the chance is so low its like, 1 out of every 25 or 50 jumps, somewhere in there. I don't have any math it's just a feel. Maybe it was only good luck.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

I think at level yellow the chance is so low its like, 1 out of every 25 or 50 jumps, somewhere in there. I don't have any math it's just a feel. Maybe it was only good luck.

I felt like I got one every other jump
And then orange would be literally every jump

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Taear posted:

Yeah orange to me is more like 60-40, the difference between yellow and orange was wide enough that I felt safe using yellow for general purpose travel. The yellow encounters also were much less difficult. Somebody probably has the real encounter rate numbers and can prove me wrong.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Taear posted:

For flavor, or for actual "Ship takes 10 damage" or "go fight some demons"? Because on yellow and above you'll almost always get at least flavor text about some spooky poo poo. Sometimes you'll get a skill check or CYOA event, the next level up being give your troops guns/relics or fight the demons yourself, with the final tier being thou must fight.

At yellow, you're going to get mostly flavor with some CYOA and skill check events, with the rare fight. At dangerous you'll get CYOA and skill checks often, along with fights. And at deadly it's pretty much all fight mans all the time.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Ojetor posted:

The sink is basically just making direct routes to places. It costs 3 points to make a direct path and then another 2 to make the path yellow. I basically made green paths from Dargonus to every other colony and then made most of the other stuff yellow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The hp and damage scaling is just all over the place. Enemies have 2-10 times your characters' hp but your damage scales up to 80 damage a hit.... on some characters. Some enemies will do 3 damage to your guys and some will do 80.

In some encounters you'll run into crewmen with 20 HP and some have 200.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 3, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I didn't want to use ToyBox either, but the game kind of forces you to after a certain amount of crashes and bugs where you don't get the equipment you should have gotten as a reward for an event or when it gives you a gun no one in your party can ever use for example.

I’ve had no choice but to toybox a few fights, act3 was super buggy for me at one point a fight got “stuck” because a ranged enemy got wedged into a spot with nowhere to go on his turn and just sat there and refused to do anything for 10 minutes. Also one of the last fights of the act refused to end because there were party npcs floating all over despite also being in my party (I had two Ulfairs on screen) and the game decided that phantom Ulfair needed a turn and he just sat there.

Also none of this poo poo is balanced in any fashion and I suspect some things the design document says you should be able to do (rep max etc) is just impossible , owlcat has somehow made a big dumb mishmash of completely broken garbage addictive.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

The hp and damage scaling is just all over the place. Enemies have 2-10 times your characters' hp but your damage scales up to 80 damage a hit.... on some characters. Some enemies will do 3 damage to your guys and some will do 80.

In some encounters you'll run into crewmen with 20 HP and some have 200.

The low HP enemies are required to gain momentum effectively by killing them all quickly.

The damage being done probably has something to do with certain enemy abilities. The standard deflection+armor damage reduction should be consistent for most of the hits. There's 'direct' damage that can't be reduced by any means and I assume some enemies had their stats/abilities adjusted so they deliver direct damage.

There's a lot not well explained at this point for damage dealing. Ship combat especially, you have plasma, sonic, melta, macro cannons etc. and I cannot tell if there is any major benefit to swapping ship weapons types instead of just using the biggest damage dealer.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Have they fixed the navigator point bug where setting a new red route gave you 2 points instead of costing 3 points?

That's how I was able to get all my connections.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009

Further Reading posted:

Have they fixed the navigator point bug where setting a new red route gave you 2 points instead of costing 3 points?

That's how I was able to get all my connections.

Yeah that’s definitely fixed. Direct routes now properly cost 3 to make a red route and then you have to spend more to reduce the difficulty.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Be honest, how many of you touched the darkness?

(It was me, I did it)

The little sidequest areas and storybook segments have some cool stuff.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Just hit Act 4. Are there no colony projects past tier III? I built just about everything I possibly could at each colony back in Act 2 and was expecting some new projects to unlock in Act 4 since the merchants' stocks also change at that point.

Seems like Ulfar's charge basically never works due to his size and there always being something in between him and his target. I was looking forward to having him in my party, but as a lot of folks have already pointed out, he's kinda...bad. Nothing to set him apart from Argenta save for his severely limited gear options and his goofy voice that makes him sound like Swedish Dracula.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Let Ulfar charge through destroyable terrain/cover imo, at a minimum

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dandywalken posted:

Let Ulfar charge through destroyable terrain/cover imo, at a minimum

That's such a nobrainer that I'm surprised they haven't done it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

evilmiera posted:

The level up experience for everyone is kinda nuts in how confusing it is, but its fine to focus on whatever skill you think is useful or interesting, it probably will be (unless its like, Commerce, which I've extremely rarely ran into).

Commerce not having many checks is disappointing since you're basically in charge of the Space East India Company, but I do like how psyched Abelard is if you take the one to gouge the planetary governor in chapter 1.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

FeculentWizardTits posted:

Just hit Act 4. Are there no colony projects past tier III? I built just about everything I possibly could at each colony back in Act 2 and was expecting some new projects to unlock in Act 4 since the merchants' stocks also change at that point.

They go up to tier 5. You might have to visit Footfall first to unlock the final tiers?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

They go up to tier 5. You might have to visit Footfall first to unlock the final tiers?

You do not.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Hot take: Ulfar is a better tank than Abelard and a better arch militant murder maker than Argenta. If they fix the obvious problems he never should've shipped with, you'll see, you'll all see!!

I wish this game was fixed already. I'm dying to play more but want those fixes.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

pentyne posted:

Same with extractors. After Kiava Gamma between the rewards and projects you can get 20 almost immediately when up to that point they've been extremely scare.

So then you get to slowly creep around the map point to point to see where you can now place extractors.

It would be one thing if it was set up for finding Kiava Gamma first, but unless I'm missing something like enemies scale to your level, the KG boss fight is easily the hardest story fight in Act 2.

yeah I tried to go straight to KG (because the game imples its the most urgent crisis) and the space battle is basically impossible

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
OK, enjoying the hell out of the game so far (Chapter 2), but havexfew questions.

Colony stuff: the first tier 2 options on my prison farm world - there's three, not marked as locking out anything, but they seem like they should block the other two out. Can I actually do all 3 because I'm greedy?

Ship combat: upped my Navy rep so now I have two sets of torpedos I can mount, plus the "load three salvos" skill on Argenta for a 7-turn duration.

1 - is the duration burn time for the torps, how long I can keep making GBS threads out swarms of seeker munitions, or cooldown?

1a - is the skill for all torpedo batteries, or just your first one used?

1b - if someone manages to drive their Space Barge through a salvo while it's waitIng for the next move phase, do they detonate? Are they IFF-equipped and will only blow up enemies?

Astrogation map: is there *any* way to zoom that fucker out? It's driving me nutscwith how quickly it'll zoom me off into Here Be Dragons if I accidentally drag the pointer to an edge trying to move the map. I have Toybox installed, but I'm not sure if the "enable zoom out" is available on the starmap. (I could check, but I'm running RT through the Android Steam Link on my tablet, and the bluetooth keyboard I have doesn't have function keys.)

Just did KG, which I thought was going to be "pop in, grab some data, back to the ship" so I could get some sleep.

<"LOL get hosed, fleshbag" in loud binary static>

I did end up with five servitors who decided I was their new mommy though, and suprisingly enough they all survived. ("You, mutant scum! Buff my darling babies, the named NPCs can take care of themselves!") Please tell me there's a bug I can exploit to keep them around, that'd be hilsrious...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Under normal circumstances you can only have one set of torpedoes out at once. If you've got torpedoes on the map you can't launch again. This makes fitting two sets of torpedo tubes of very limited usefulness.
Generally you want to detonate your torpedoes as quickly as possible. This means you can launch a new set each turn.

I often find it best to launch torpedoes at the start of the turn, before movement. This means the torpedoes end up pointing up my own rear end. Then the enemy ships circle around behind me as they love to do, and the torpedoes are perfectly positioned to blow them up.
Another trick is to drive right close to an enemy ship, launch torpedoes towards them, then immediately use the Torpedo Control skill to drive it into them on the same turn.

You can drive your own ship through your own torpedoes safely. No idea about unfriendly torpedoes I've never seen it happen.

The ultimate torpedo skill increases the amount of torpedoes you can have out to three salvos and lets you launch all three in one turn from one set of tubes. The duration is the number of turns you can keep doing this. You still need to detonate existing salvoes before you can launch more ofc, but it's an extremely powerful skill.

Warmachine posted:

If there is, I didn't find it in two playthroughs. :shrug:

Telikos Epsilon (Janus) -> Orsellio Prophecy -> Adermatt II -> Tenebris Aquae -> Cranach
The Adermatt II jump is the unintuitive one since it's taking you NW when you want to go SW.

You definitely have to make your own path to Emperor's Palm / Frozen Prince, and I think also to Litoribum Maledicta/it's neighbours.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 3, 2024

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

The Lone Badger posted:

Under normal circumstances you can only have one set of torpedoes out at once. If you've got torpedoes on the map you can't launch again. This makes fitting two sets of torpedo tubes of very limited usefulness.
Generally you want to detonate your torpedoes as quickly as possible. This means you can launch a new set each turn.

I often find it best to launch torpedoes at the start of the turn, before movement. This means the torpedoes end up pointing up my own rear end. Then the enemy ships circle around behind me as they love to do, and the torpedoes are perfectly positioned to blow them up.
Another trick is to drive right close to an enemy ship, launch torpedoes towards them, then immediately use the Torpedo Control skill to drive it into them on the same turn.

You can drive your own ship through your own torpedoes safely. No idea about unfriendly torpedoes I've never seen it happen.

The ultimate torpedo skill increases the amount of torpedoes you can have out to three salvos and lets you launch all three in one turn from one set of tubes. The duration is the number of turns you can keep doing this. You still need to detonate existing salvoes before you can launch more ofc, but it's an extremely powerful skill.

OK, got in a space fight, and torps don't care about getting run over in movement phase, friendly or enemy. Might just swap out the torps for a second long-lance and just stick with flipping a u-ie and and giving them a bigger forward alpha (two prow guns and the dorsal).

Thanks for the info, though.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

My map is nowhere near green, I did green some routes to see what that did but essentially I explored all the connected systems without ever jumping off a known route but every Orange jump I was having to do an incursion fight so I started improving those ones and I just ran out of points.

I don't think I can zoom out the map to show what I did. I know there's an event on Dargonus that gets you 15 navigation points but I didn't pick that option as I went into it blind.

I just looked, I have

10 Green Routes
20 Yellow Routes
7 Orange
2 Red

on my Map just now, which I didn't thing counted as greening every route, but maybe it is.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jan 3, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ygolonac posted:

OK, got in a space fight, and torps don't care about getting run over in movement phase, friendly or enemy. Might just swap out the torps for a second long-lance and just stick with flipping a u-ie and and giving them a bigger forward alpha (two prow guns and the dorsal).

Thanks for the info, though.

Can't pack two lances effectively either - you can only fire one per turn.
You can choose which one to fire so there's marginal benefit by fitting both a long-range-narrow-angle lance and a mid-range-broad-angle lance. But really you should have a lance and a set of torp tubes.
(Torpedoes are really good once you get the hang of them)

Also, get the hang of moving directly toward the enemy far enough to align your prow lance, fire, then use the rest of your movement points to turn just enough that you can also fire one of your broadsides. The Shallow Jump skill can help with this.

(Hitting a single enemy with the lance and both broadsides in one turn is an advanced technique I've only pulled off a couple of times)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 3, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

There are some unique Aeldari torpedo's that you can get from an event on Janus. They can be fired every turn so you can have multiple of them out at once, making them incredibly strong. Of course, it doesn't say they can do this until you actually test them which is something I've noticed is quite prevalent in this game.

I've picked up a lot of unique items that don't actually say what their unique effect is so they seem kind of bad until you check what they actually do or seem good like a unique sniper rifle that I only found out uses toxic damage by shooting a demon immune to toxic damage.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jan 3, 2024

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The space battle above the planetary invasion in late game is just bananas. I’ve done all the other void battles and got all my poo poo upgraded as much as I can and it’s still impossible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah these encounter designs are getting more and more brutal. Charge into a fishbowl of an arena while 20 kabalites soy shoot you for 20 damage a hit with RoF 6 weapons.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

This is wrong - you can shoot a torpedo every other turn (even with the starting ones) so you can absolutely have more than one set out there. They blow up in 4 turns so you'll usually have 2. That's been true for me for the entire game unless it was just a bug?

Eediot Jedi posted:

Hot take: Ulfar is a better tank than Abelard and a better arch militant murder maker than Argenta. If they fix the obvious problems he never should've shipped with, you'll see, you'll all see!!

I wish this game was fixed already. I'm dying to play more but want those fixes.

Ulfar's limited gear is really loving annoying though. At least Abelard can use everything. Also he's sort of a bellend.

I had a really nice Heavy Bolter on Argenta that has vanished in Act 3 and now I can't find any more. I'm really frustrated about it because I bought it off a merchant so it's not replaceable.

Also in act 4 all my colony things finish IMMEDIATELY which is uh...nice but strange?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Okay, the fight in Cassia’s Act 4 quest is by far the hardest thing so far.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Taear posted:

This is wrong - you can shoot a torpedo every other turn (even with the starting ones) so you can absolutely have more than one set out there. They blow up in 4 turns so you'll usually have 2. That's been true for me for the entire game unless it was just a bug?

Ulfar's limited gear is really loving annoying though. At least Abelard can use everything. Also he's sort of a bellend.

I had a really nice Heavy Bolter on Argenta that has vanished in Act 3 and now I can't find any more. I'm really frustrated about it because I bought it off a merchant so it's not replaceable.

Also in act 4 all my colony things finish IMMEDIATELY which is uh...nice but strange?

the heavy bolter isn't supposed to disappear, I would toybox it back. you won't get an equivalent until like end of act 4 or act 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zodium posted:

the heavy bolter isn't supposed to disappear, I would toybox it back. you won't get an equivalent until like end of act 4 or act 5.

I can't use toybox because I'll cheat too much, it's just not an option for me if I want to actually play the game.
I'll just have to carry on using the normal one.

The two most annoying things in Rogue Trader combat are how often your characters do their barks (I'm not your xenos plaything, Mon-keigh) and also how long you have to wait before you can use your skills. Just let me do it, stop waiting for the animation!