Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's about an evil sweater.

The real answer is that it’s about a spy novelist who accidentally predicts major global events through her books, so a spy agency tracks her down to figure out what’s going to happen, and chaos and hilarity ensues. I saw the trailer before Godzilla Minus One, and it looked really wAcKy and tryhard to an embarrassing extent (oh my god a CAT??? doing faces at EXPLOSIONS?!?!). But it stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Henry Cavill, Edward Norton, Samuel L. Jackson, and Bryan Cranston, so it at least has a stacked cast going for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Tbh Matthew Vaughn could have every actor who has ever worked in a Scorsese, PT Anderson, and Woody Allen movie (just including the pedo freak because he still gets Everybody when it comes to casting) and I'd still avoid the stink of whatever he does like a skunk just exploded after taking a giant poo poo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What about Ballerina? Action movie in the John Wick setting starring Ana de Armas. That's a good combination of words.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The real answer is that it’s about a spy novelist who accidentally predicts major global events through her books, so a spy agency tracks her down to figure out what’s going to happen, and chaos and hilarity ensues. I saw the trailer before Godzilla Minus One, and it looked really wAcKy and tryhard to an embarrassing extent (oh my god a CAT??? doing faces at EXPLOSIONS?!?!). But it stars Bryce Dallas Howard, Henry Cavill, Edward Norton, Samuel L. Jackson, and Bryan Cranston, so it at least has a stacked cast going for it.

There's something weird going on with it because they were claiming it was based on a book by the author Bryce Dallas Howard is playing and also apparently Vaughn is saying that the trailer doesn't actually fully explain the premise of the movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Didn't that exact movie come out last year/2022? With Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt and Magic Mike?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, God. We didn't need an Evil Winnie the Pooh movie and we don't need an Evil Mr. Rogers movie either. Can they even do that? When your dead does your likeness just become public domain?

I'm not even sure of the rules anymore as there was that evil Grinch movie recently too

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Anyway, feel free to drop titles for a 2024 thread, started work on it but no eta. Next year has a lot less of the big franchises but has some other big and small good and bad stuff in the queue

Whomst Greenlighted 2024: Somehow, The Dark Universe Returned*
Using A Microscope To Find Original Content
The Final Reshoot For The Borderlands Movie (Pinky Swear!)
More Spider-Man Movies Without Spider-Man

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisa_Frankenstein

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

It's Kraven Time!!!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Grendels Dad posted:

Didn't that exact movie come out last year/2022? With Sandra Bullock, Brad Pitt and Magic Mike?

I understand the confusion but that was Daniel Radcliffe, not a cat.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I don't think it works for this year, but that list of movies coming out gave me an idea for the title next year: "Pentaquel Summoning Unsuccessful" I don't know why the list used triquel and tetraquel but if you follow it to its logical conclusion...

I'm seeing a lot less movies this year with the death of physical netflix.

Edit: Cocaine Bear was one of the last physical netflix I watched, it was funny.

D&D movie better than expected.

Dial of Destiny mysteriously devoid of "Roman Salute" joke.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 2, 2024

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Who Threadglightninged 2024: SEXQUEL.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Normal person being mistaken as a spy is an old premise but I think you're right, she was a writer in that one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

habituallyred posted:

D&D movie better than expected.

DnD was exactly what it’s like to play DnD and was a lot of fun. I put it on not expecting much and loved it lol

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Are we still getting Beyond the Spiderverse this year?

Does that mean that there are potentially 4 Spider Man adjacent movies coming out this year???

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

There's no way spider verse is coming out this year

Ohboyherewegoagain
Sep 22, 2023

Shageletic posted:

Normal person being mistaken as a spy is an old premise but I think you're right, she was a writer in that one.

If Looks Could Kill 2, coming 2025

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

feedmyleg posted:

I'm mad at myself for looking forward to, like, 4 of those.

We should make a betting pool for their Rotten Tomatoes audience and critics scores.

You start a thread for this, I'll post in it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Sam Rockwel, not Ed Norton, but basically. Also, Henry Cavill’s hair looks ridiculous.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

What about Ballerina? Action movie in the John Wick setting starring Ana de Armas. That's a good combination of words.

directed by Len Wiseman, which is not .

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, seeing Wiseman on Ballerina sucked a lot of hope away. Any opinions on the Continental series, I heard it was kind of a big nothing too.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

"Hey remember that game where the gameplay just felt really fun and intuitive but anything involving the plot, dialogue, and characters made you want to put a gun in your mouth? We made a movie. 🤗"

The Telltale adventure games showed you could do something fun and not too obnoxious in universe, but it takes a little creativity and the restraint to not just run a bunch of LOL totally random jokes into the ground and well...yeah. Can't imagine it being any good. And Roth remains a bizarre original choice for it, even though I'm not sure who you'd give it to.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'm not even sure of the rules anymore as there was that evil Grinch movie recently too

I think that was a classic case of not wanting to give them the pleasure of a lawsuit. Better to just let it wither on the vine than free publicity.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 3, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I can't imagine wanting to explore the John Wick universe or being remotely interested in anything happening unless John Wick is actually there fighting people
Like just watch any of the many utterly fantastic Hong Kong films (esp if Sammo is doing the choreography) of the last 45 years, they're all head and shoulders above the best of Wick. Many are on tubi.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Are we still getting Beyond the Spiderverse this year?

Does that mean that there are potentially 4 Spider Man adjacent movies coming out this year???

They've already unslated Spiderverse from the schedule. It's still in production but it's so far from complete, there's no date on it. There was a date of March 29 but then the writer and actor strikes happened and now that date belongs to the new Ghostbusters.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1742188058001256615?s=20

lmao the sewage gates are open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAg7laUDXX4

can't wait for more Doomboat tier quality stuff

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Eh, let em have a few years to get it out of their system, its a small price to pay for finally letting public domain move forward again.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah I will say reddit is full of "public domain is good they said" wagging because of it which is annoying too

yes yes i know

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wikipedia says Blood and Honey made $5.2M on a budget of $100K. I’m a little shocked since it was obvious slapdash poo poo without any real novelty value. Slasher movies with characters entering the public domain is probably good for a few more go arounds before people get bored with it.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 3, 2024

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The novelty was they were the only one. Now everyone is prepared

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
This is all a 5D chess master stroke by Disney to discredit the use of public domain properties in the public consciousness by secretly funding 500 different “Steamboat Willy Slasher” movies. It’s all in the Epstein flight logs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Find the steamboat Willy shitmovies being released that aren’t being sued by Disney

Find the ones owned by Disney :tinfoil:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, seeing Wiseman on Ballerina sucked a lot of hope away. Any opinions on the Continental series, I heard it was kind of a big nothing too.

I watched the first episode and started to watch the second but put it on pause to do something and never went back to it.

It wasn’t very good imo

JW should have just been one movie. Universe crap ruins everything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Continental wasn't very good, though the final episode had some alright scenes. Probably would've been better as a movie.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have to admit the decision to make it a three episode miniseries was sort of odd

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

I am trying to think of a single aspect of the lore of Wickverse that anyone could give enough of a poo poo about to argue over, and lol. Like, someone writing fanfic about Wick buying a new car with one gold coin and someone else arguing that that is NOT CANON.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

after his dog died he's just killing up the ladder for no reason

Ian M: "there's the senechal"

JW: "I guess I'll have to kill him then"

Ian M: "and after him the high abbot"

JW: "He'll just have to die"

Ian M: "Woooo buddy I love this guy! Lemme go down the list of guys ahead of me. The vicomte? The Noblesse? The Monseigneur?"

JW: "All dead"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Professor Shark posted:

I watched the first episode and started to watch the second but put it on pause to do something and never went back to it.

It wasn’t very good imo

Jw 2 and 4 are the best of the series so hard disagree

Dumb spin offs won’t ruin them for me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Professor Shark posted:

I read that as Jurassic World. Now picturing a crossover. Yeah sure why not. John Wick goes on the warpath to avenge his pet tyrannosaurus.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

muscles like this! posted:

There's something weird going on with it because they were claiming it was based on a book by the author Bryce Dallas Howard is playing and also apparently Vaughn is saying that the trailer doesn't actually fully explain the premise of the movie.

Spoilers from leaked plot details the cat is a God, and BDH writing around it has affected reality, making the events of her novels come true. Everyone mistakenly believes it's BDH to blame, but it turns out it's the cat. Also, it is in the Kingsman universe.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

PriorMarcus posted:

Spoilers from leaked plot details the cat is a God, and BDH writing around it has affected reality, making the events of her novels come true. Everyone mistakenly believes it's BDH to blame, but it turns out it's the cat. Also, it is in the Kingsman universe.

Good lord.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

PriorMarcus posted:

Please say you made that up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Alan Smithee posted:

after his dog died he's just killing up the ladder for no reason

No, after he took revenge for his dog he was just gonna go back into retirement. Then some rear end in a top hat showed up at his house and asked him to do a job, then blew up John's house when he refused. In the process of killing that guy, John broke the rules so now the higher ups want him dead. John Wick isn't exactly a defensive kinda guy, so if people are trying to kill him he's gonna kill them first.