Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Nah, she's his middle wife.

Ah, okay. I misremembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers but how is this new season? Comparable to seasons 1 and 2?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hughmoris posted:

I've been avoiding the thread for fear of spoilers but how is this new season? Comparable to seasons 1 and 2?
100% yes

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Hell of an episode.

veepfake
Oct 21, 2005

i like jon hamms character, he's so detestable in a way that seems different from the usual bad guys on the show. but really this season has a lotta great characters

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i feel like i can't judge until i watch the whole season like three times, Fargo likes to show me new things when i rewatch it, but i'd say it's better than 3+4.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

oh man, even having guessed what was happening from the start, that was so godawful stressful to watch

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I'm still left scratching my head why Dot ran off in the first place a few episodes ago. She believed Linda was alive and was seeking her out? The blend of the dream sequence and reality is blurring for me and can't sort it out as how would she have any idea where to even start looking for Linda, let alone come up with that entire world she 'visited' BEFORE doing so.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's way more grounded than Season 3, and a lot tighter than most seasons of Fargo. All things considered, the cast is positively tiny compared to all the factions in S2-4.

All to say, will have to see how it ends to say where it places but it's definitely a return to form and it's a great watch so far.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I feel like this season is being intentionally confusing about its pop culture references. I'm struggling with it but I'm also fascinated.

I think I can see there being a theme of Dot trying to figure out what kind of story she exists in; the Wizard of Oz and Nightmare Before Christmas stuff feel like they're red herrings in terms of meaningful parallels. I think that ties into the idea that Dot escaped this horrible trauma and wanted to jump into another story, but finds her new identity lacking somehow.

The Linda dream throws in Terminator comparisons right? Like there was an actual Linda Hamilton poster I'm not crazy right? But I think maybe the idea is that none of these stories is helping Dot to understand her situation so she's leaving them behind.

On the one hand it can make the references feel kinda random or pointless, but I think I'm on board with that helping us get in Dot's head.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Is anybody else getting Ron and Casey DeSantis vibes from Roy and his wife?

E- Jesus, this is the best season of TV since Justified.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The after credits previews has Roy amassing his militia boys and even Lorraine looks flustered. I'm guessing when all looks lost Ole Munch is going to soundly put them in their place.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
RIP Dave Foley. That character's fate was sealed the moment they decided to not call Lorraine, which is surprisingly out of character, to be honest. That one liner from Roy was cheezy as hell tho.

I feel bad for that one cop. He's still limping and he's simply outmatched by the militia. I don't think he'll last to the end.

Finally, Indira told her husband off and in comedic fashion, will live with the consequences of the relationship in the forms of debt and repos.

Looks like we're heading to Waco 2.0 next week. I'm calling that Roy gets away only to get got in the finale by Gator.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Still not sure why Foley stupidly walked into the ranch alone, hopefully we will understand more in the coming episodes but it was really out of character and dumb with the information we have now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely agree that Foley not even bothering to call JJL was dumb. Otherwise a great episode!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I wonder if Danish called Lorraine after all, but instead of speaking, he had the call in progress in his pocket throughout his confrontation in Roy's office. That way, Lorraine would have proof from Roy's own voice that he kidnapped Dot and possibly hurts or kills Danish.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I wonder if Danish called Lorraine after all, but instead of speaking, he had the call in progress in his pocket throughout his confrontation in Roy's office. That way, Lorraine would have proof from Roy's own voice that he kidnapped Dot and possibly hurts or kills Danish.

Plausible take, although a bit stretched. Seen him as loyal but go to his death loyal? Unless he didn't expect to die and thought he would be clever enough to talk out of the situation.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

The best explanation I saw of it was that he probably wasn't in the loop re: Lorraine learning of Dot's abuse and figured she might not have been willing to offer the deal he did

Still, definitely way too overconfident of him

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Ooof, drat. Again, I don't have a lot to add beyond holy poo poo, is this a fantastic season.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Plausible take, although a bit stretched. Seen him as loyal but go to his death loyal? Unless he didn't expect to die and thought he would be clever enough to talk out of the situation.

It's plausible that people like Danish, who are used to getting their way by using the legal system and throwing money and conventional threats at their problems, are incapable of fully understanding the dangers posed by bullies like "Constitutional sheriffs" (and insurrectionists, militias, the MAGA movement, etc.) who are quick to resort to violence and are convinced they are right no matter what due to a twisted reading of the Bible. This whole season, I've seen Roy as an allegory for MAGA and Trump, compared to Lorraine and Danish being the previous kind of economic conservative, struggling to adapt to what they're up against.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Okuteru posted:

Finally, Indira told her husband off and in comedic fashion, will live with the consequences of the relationship in the forms of debt and repos.

Indira's take down of Lars was a great Fargo monologue, dudes suck. It felt a tiny bit stilted (a common minor issue this season) but Indira deserved it so I'm fine with it.

Roy walking menacingly to the old house to britney spears was something I couldn't help but laugh at, and I love that song.

RIP Danish, think he just flew too close to the sun, after masterfully taking Roy down with the debate. Didn't Roy make a reference to Icarus earlier in the season? I may be imagining things.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 3, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Oh man that scene with Ole appearing in the police car was out of a horror film. Perfect shot and I'm annoyed we'll have to wait til next week for the follow up.

Can't wait to see Roy get his.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Witt Farr keeps randomly finding himself in the right place at the right time this episode. I've been to North Dakota; you don't just "run into" people.

I can't have been the only one bracing myself for a Burn After Reading homage when Indira threw open the closet doors.

Giving Dot that much chain basically guaranteed that somebody was going to get Jabba'd, but it was drat satisfying to watch. I really hope she kills him. My biggest fear is that the season ends with Tillman getting arrested only to add a credits postcript about how he received a blanket presidential pardon before his sentence began like Joe Arpaio.

RIP Danish "Unmarked" Graves. He died doing what he loved.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dot's troubles started when she turned around and tazed the wrong person in a unruly auditorium.

Now Roy gets in trouble by turning around and punching the wrong person in an unruly auditorium.

Good poo poo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

RIP Foley, ya did the role well.

Love how pathetic Gator has been the whole season. He has quips, and needs the last word, but it's always short of landing and he's clearly talking down to people who are better than him in pretty much every instance. Makes him very pitiable, though you get a sense he's got what's coming to him.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Poor Danish, died without ever getting in the xmas card photo

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

*In minor key* That was a Dave I knew I knew. That was a Dave I knew. :(

It sucks being just good enough at TV watching to know he was dead the moment he didn't call Lorraine. I see people asking why he didn't call and it is absolutely because he didn't think she'd go along with giving Tillman the election back. This was a deal he was doing for Dot because his sense of justice was stronger than what he's witnessed Lorraine's to be. Someone mentioned Tillman's "If you're so smart, why are you so dead" was cheezy but let's face it, Tillman being so rattled that he's delivering bad one-liners is a perfect deconstruction of the weakness this man has. I laughed at him saying it and realized, yeah, that's how un-witty a person like this would be. His only gravitas is in bible quoting.

I know there's still a bit of a hole of "what was Dot's plan when she left" but after this episode I'm sealing it up with my own head canon. I believe she knew Linda was dead and knew she was buried under the windmill, but trauma memory was telling her she was still alive, out there somewhere, and the only clue her memory gave her was a windmill. She was driving around to try and find that windmill. Only her dream self found it and the rest is history. What we still don't/won't know is whether she ended up in the hospital from her own falling asleep at the wheel or if a massive semi actually did smash a car into her but I think at this point it's fine to just take what we saw at face value and, yeah, some insane happenstance got her at a truck stop where that wild accident occurred.

It's nice to get confirmation that Scotty isn't Roy's kid.

Y'know I was gonna write something here about how I don't think Dot's gonna kill Roy but she will at least enable Gator to do it... but one of my points was that Dot wants a normal life as much as possible and I don't think adding a murder to her life experience is going to help keep her that normal life. Then I remembered that she actually did kill that one kidnapper with some ice and a toilet bowl assist... so never mind. That said, I do want to make a note of a couple things before I finish posting. Firstly: Dot's spent a decade worrying about Roy finding her. There is a bit of catharsis that this season is the story of her finding closure to that ghost haunting her. Secondly: I love the idea that this season is showing old school financial conservatives coming to grips with new school yeehaw conservatives. I feel like we need more stories like these to exist, even if I think blatantly putting Trump into the show is bad taste.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

DaveKap posted:

Someone mentioned Tillman's "If you're so smart, why are you so dead" was cheezy but let's face it, Tillman being so rattled that he's delivering bad one-liners is a perfect deconstruction of the weakness this man has. I laughed at him saying it and realized, yeah, that's how un-witty a person like this would be. His only gravitas is in bible quoting.

Like I had said with Gator, I like how these two are written. Both he and his son are delivering hammy one liners like that all the time to close out conversations, clearly imagining themselves the lead in a movie about themselves. Hamm at least cuts an intimidating feature and has actual power behind him, Gator less so. They're telling on themselves every time they deliver one of these quips, and it's great.

Can't imagine the cover-up is going to work. Guy was still getting cell service when he pulled into the ranch, so it shouldn't be hard for Lorraine to pin-point that's where he disappeared. + the two main cops this season have been well in touch with eachother so I'm sure they'll know where he went.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I'm looking forward to Indira leading a raid of the compound as her first private security assignment. And the FBI loving it up, probably.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

this is maybe my imagination but i feel like Foley took a page from Roger Stone in his Whole Deal - the overconfident, too-into-mens-fashion consigliere who believes his dirty tricks are enough to beat someone like Roy - and i really enjoyed it.

it felt right that he was riding high from his win and thought he could act quickly, get a negotiated settlement where everyone wins, and come back as a hero to his boss, he's just tragically unaware that Roy's rapidly spiraling into irrevocable doom and it's the exact wrong time to do this

eke out fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 4, 2024

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hope we get to learn Indira's maiden name now that she's dumped Lars. I want it to be something equally incongruous, like Hoffstetter.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This season really got its poo poo together the last few episodes.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Oh man that scene with Ole appearing in the police car was out of a horror film. Perfect shot and I'm annoyed we'll have to wait til next week for the follow up.

Can't wait to see Roy get his.

The shot panning up to the TILLMAN RANCH sign also had major horror vibes.

Old Doggy Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 4, 2024

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It's plausible that people like Danish, who are used to getting their way by using the legal system and throwing money and conventional threats at their problems, are incapable of fully understanding the dangers posed by bullies like "Constitutional sheriffs" (and insurrectionists, militias, the MAGA movement, etc.) who are quick to resort to violence and are convinced they are right no matter what due to a twisted reading of the Bible. This whole season, I've seen Roy as an allegory for MAGA and Trump, compared to Lorraine and Danish being the previous kind of economic conservative, struggling to adapt to what they're up against.

I wouldn't even call it an allegory, he is that outright. This season takes place in 2019 when Trump was still in power and in the second episode when the two FBI agents initially tried to go after Roy with full force, their boss wimped out on virtue that the fucker is head of some of the largest militias in the midwest. Never mind that they're the FBI, no, they're going to kowtow and cower before him even though he's clearly corrupt. Though the scary thing is that Roy's inspiration in the form of Trump and MAGA renegades were preceded by the likes of Ammon Bundy and that whole takeover.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Say what you will about Roy’s parting words to Graves, but you gotta admit he did have a point

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

oh jay posted:

Dot's troubles started when she turned around and tazed the wrong person in a unruly auditorium.

Now Roy gets in trouble by turning around and punching the wrong person in an unruly auditorium.

Good poo poo.

This immediately came to mind for me as well. Brilliant parallel. Although unfortunately Dot has ended up in handcuffs both times...

That episode was terrifying. Jon Hamm is incredible. His last words to Danish being the dumbest poo poo is just so perfect.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

TraderStav posted:

Still not sure why Foley stupidly walked into the ranch alone, hopefully we will understand more in the coming episodes but it was really out of character and dumb with the information we have now.

Felt the same, but my only post hoc rationalization is that Graves was feeling so full of big balls swagger after the Debate Fiasco that he thought he could wrap this thing up in 3 seconds. I took it to be a kind of microcosm of how the vulture finance sector thinks they are so much smarter than country bumpkins and have no idea about the spite and unpredictability of the people they exploit. Conservatives will burn $10,000 if it means someone "undeserving" can't have a free dime, so Graves had no idea that a right wing cop scorned would make an impulsive and prideful decision instead of wheeling and dealing like finance bros would do.

At least, that's my reparative read of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

That Dang Dad posted:

Felt the same, but my only post hoc rationalization is that Graves was feeling so full of big balls swagger after the Debate Fiasco that he thought he could wrap this thing up in 3 seconds. I took it to be a kind of microcosm of how the vulture finance sector thinks they are so much smarter than country bumpkins and have no idea about the spite and unpredictability of the people they exploit. Conservatives will burn $10,000 if it means someone "undeserving" can't have a free dime, so Graves had no idea that a right wing cop scorned would make an impulsive and prideful decision instead of wheeling and dealing like finance bros would do.

At least, that's my reparative read of it.

That was my thinking as well. Graves and Lorraine have always made money talk for them, but people like Roy aren't motivated by money so much as hatefulness and the unwavering belief that they are the good guys and everyone else is evil and weak.

Shitenshi posted:

I wouldn't even call it an allegory, he is that outright. This season takes place in 2019 when Trump was still in power and in the second episode when the two FBI agents initially tried to go after Roy with full force, their boss wimped out on virtue that the fucker is head of some of the largest militias in the midwest. Never mind that they're the FBI, no, they're going to kowtow and cower before him even though he's clearly corrupt. Though the scary thing is that Roy's inspiration in the form of Trump and MAGA renegades were preceded by the likes of Ammon Bundy and that whole takeover.

I thought about Ammon Bundy too. I don't want to start a whole political debate or even a drawn-out discussion about a show I don't even watch, but is that Yellowstone show from Taylor Sheridan propaganda for guys like that, trying to make them into the heroes?

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I gave up on Yellowstone a bit. Bad crime families make for great tv *gestures towards this thread* but I need that media to either be trashy fun or be self aware.

Yellowstone felt like it wanted to be Succession, but it couldn't commit to the family being irredeemable. It'd be like if this season of Fargo had had multiple scenes of Jon Hamm crying over losing Nadine, or had a flashback where he was abused by a woman in his youth. Stuff to make you sympathize with Tillman. Murder and violence are bad-rear end and an effective way to solve problems. Temper tantrums are cool. It's just... kind of ugly.

Is 100% propaganda for that kind of lifestyle, either intentionally or (worse) unintentionally.

This season really does come off as a more realistic version of it, where the ranchers think they're doing these cool things but everyone is leaving going "what a dick" and clearly sees right through them.

quote:

John sat with ****** as he lay dying. ****** kept silent for a while as John explained that this was his last chance to "make it into heaven" by doing one last good deed, giving his word he would send for his chopper to take ****** to a hospital. Eventually, a dying ****** relents and tells John. John offers his chopper but ****** refuses, knowing he wouldn't make it since the chopper was 20 minutes out. John asked him if he wanted company or to die alone and ****** chose to die alone. As John started walking away, ****** gasped out a few last words back to him. He said "I wish I had never met you" and John responded with "I bet you do" before leaving him to die.

This is exactly how this poo poo plays out in Tillman's mind.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I don't think Tillman realized how Graves would react to losing it all. Tillman has definitely sealed his legal fate, but Graves isn't party to all that information. IMO it was even more over once Gator shot a loving state trooper's car (which should have dashcam but plot convenience I guess takes precedence).