Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You Are A Werewolf posted:

"So this is what it feels like... when doves cry :cry:"

lol Shelbyville Milhouse had him dead to rights too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've said before but Lemon of Troy is such a weird episode, I think it's meant to be full on in the style of Dennis the Menace, Goonies style kids adventures with Bart and the other kids acting wildly out of character at times (like actually listening to grandpa) but it still plays off remarkably natural.

And I think that bit is a great gag but also captures the whole essence of those kind of no-stakes rivalries where they basically only exist for boys of all ages who are looking for an excuse for a pissing contest.

great username
Dec 28, 2023

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've said before but Lemon of Troy is such a weird episode, I think it's meant to be full on in the style of Dennis the Menace, Goonies style kids adventures with Bart and the other kids acting wildly out of character at times (like actually listening to grandpa) but it still plays off remarkably natural.

And I think that bit is a great gag but also captures the whole essence of those kind of no-stakes rivalries where they basically only exist for boys of all ages who are looking for an excuse for a pissing contest.

Milhouse definitely captures the exact kinda weiner kid hardass we knew who was like 15lbs underweight but really into army and military poo poo as a weird compensation. He's basically the "disrespecting a future US soldier!" kid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Also funny how often it's specifically a group of Bart, Milhouse, Nelson and Martin, even if really only Bart and Milhouse hang out normally. Though the whole deal with Martin is that while he's an insufferable prat and a nerd, he's also sociable and upbeat, he likes to be around people and be involved even with things outside his main interests. The pool episode about sums it up, Lisa accidentally gets popular as the gatekeeper of the pool, while Martin actively seeks out attention by one-upping her.

Nelson's kinda the other side of the coin, being a gruff bully with a bad home life and little interest in following rules or being socially accepted, but he also tends to get involved a lot, and probably for the same reason, he likes being a part of things and being around people. And being smarter and more ambitious than he looks, he recognises that kids like Martin (and Lisa) have skills and abilities he doesn't, and they complement each other when teaming up in a brains-and-brawn fashion.

It's all pretty obvious really, but it's some pretty quietly good characterisation for recurring characters that you can involve in all kinds of plots and with different characters without needing specific justification, because it's simply the kind of thing they do. Compared to episodes where random side characters or celebrity guests are just crowbarred in and it's obviously jarring. You can pull that off with the right tone and chutzpah, but it does help to have characters already be flexible enough you don't need it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
also one of the few times nelson teams up with them and gets things done without loving up something for them like the road trip (though I love the winnipeg gag)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And put that way I realise with those four you've kind of got the Ninja Turtles. Nelson is Raph.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It’s funny how Nelson alternates between being Bart’s friend and his bully. They also do a good job of making you forget that between episodes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bart treats Milhouse worse, really. It's not an uncommon dynamic with kids, like how Lisa basically has fair-weather friends in some episodes and admits to having no friends other times, the lines really aren't often clear and kids will be getting along fine one minute and one bullying the other the next based on some perceived slight, boredom or a bad mood.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Bart treats Milhouse worse, really. It's not an uncommon dynamic with kids, like how Lisa basically has fair-weather friends in some episodes and admits to having no friends other times, the lines really aren't often clear and kids will be getting along fine one minute and one bullying the other the next based on some perceived slight, boredom or a bad mood.

p realistic expectations for adulthood tbh

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Yeah, that was one of the more relatable aspects of The Simpsons when I watched it as a kid. There were plenty of kids at school I would consider “bullies” one moment, but then the next we were playing games together. Social status didn’t really solidify until middle school.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

yeah, the Cronenberg showrunner era was pretty fuckin' weird but at least we got Graggle out of it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Montague Tigg posted:

yeah, the Cronenberg showrunner era was pretty fuckin' weird but at least we got Graggle out of it

Yet another character they threw a baby at which out-ages Maggie. And Mr. Burns.
At least it only lasted one episode, but it feels a little Snowball II in retrospect.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Yeah, that was one of the more relatable aspects of The Simpsons when I watched it as a kid. There were plenty of kids at school I would consider “bullies” one moment, but then the next we were playing games together. Social status didn’t really solidify until middle school.

I always wanted the "cool" kids to like me, so when they were nice to me I was friends with them but then theyd go back to making fun of me the next day.

Early simpsons used to focus a lot more on those inter-personal dynamics. Nowadays each character is just whatever the writers want them to be for a given gag, a la family guy.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Greg12 posted:

Season 9 sucks

the funniest parts are the songs from earlier seasons in the musical clip show

buzz off jerk, Homer Simpson vs the City of New York is unimpeachable.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
Of course you'll have a good impression of season 9 if you only focus on the Mountain Dew and the crab juice.

I came here to say that the carnival ep was a laugh-out-loud banger right up until the moment three minutes into the ep when Marge explains why it's funny that Bart wants to do the yardwork simulator. (After that, total poo poo.)

That might be the first time they explain a joke.

Greg12 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 5, 2024

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

buzz off jerk, Homer Simpson vs the City of New York is unimpeachable.

technically season 8

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Toxic Mental posted:

season 2, episode 20 The War of the Simpsons

it's not fair that Marge got so mad at Homer for going fishing when he woke up early to do it without disturbing her and was able to do it early in the morning without missing any of the marriage counseling therapy time

why can't he have a hobby

the strangers at the bait shop would have idolized him if he'd brung in that fish

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Reminded of when Marge is shocked and also genuinely impressed at Homer's bootlegging operation, outright admitting it's the cleverest thing he's ever done, and while illegal it's only breaking a barely enforceable law that no one wanted or likes. She's even consistent on that point, and only changes her mind when the situation has changed and Homer's more genuinely at risk.

Like they joke about it but she's actually being genuinely sensible, pragmatic and reasonable, not just a nagging killjoy getting in the way.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

The Simpsons used to be about finding a lemon tree. Now it's about Spotifried playlists making Lisa's Instaglam the most popular girl in school, until she forgets her password but luckily Dua Lipa shows up and lets her use hers instead. Meanwhile, Homer loses weight by getting addicted to his Pelotron bike, until it turns out the company is run by vampire holograms.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded of when Marge is shocked and also genuinely impressed at Homer's bootlegging operation, outright admitting it's the cleverest thing he's ever done, and while illegal it's only breaking a barely enforceable law that no one wanted or likes. She's even consistent on that point, and only changes her mind when the situation has changed and Homer's more genuinely at risk.

Like they joke about it but she's actually being genuinely sensible, pragmatic and reasonable, not just a nagging killjoy getting in the way.

That scene was great for that aspect, and also Homer, Marge, and Bart all together yelling at Lisa to go to her room.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That scene was great for that aspect, and also Homer, Marge, and Bart all together yelling at Lisa to go to her room.

They know a cop when they see one.

Also as shakey middle class that family has an implicit understanding of taking money whenever they can get it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Greg12 posted:

Season 9 sucks

the funniest parts are the songs from earlier seasons in the musical clip show

Season 9 episodes that are good/great:
"The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson"
"Treehouse of Horror VIII"
"The Cartridge Family"
"Lisa the Skeptic"
"Miracle on Evergreen Terrace"
"All Singing, All Dancing"
"Bart Carny"
"The Joy of Sect"
"Lisa the Simpson"
"Trash of the Titans"
"King of the Hill"

So about half the episodes. Still pretty good IMO, but some rough episodes I could've sworn were later seasons were Season 9.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Cartridge Family is a fun one, as pro or anti gun, it definitely sends the message that someone like Homer Simpson should not be allowed to own a gun. ...so probably anti gun.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Cartridge Family is a fun one, as pro or anti gun, it definitely sends the message that someone like Homer Simpson should not be allowed to own a gun. ...so probably anti gun.

I think it's definitely anti-gun. Attachments to shoot down police helicopters, Homer's club of responsible gun owners are a bunch of irresponsible yahoos, and of course everything Homer does in the episode should immediately eliminate him as a gun owner but nobody does anything at all.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

And yet written by John Swartzwelder, a pro-gun libertarian crank!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Dignity posted:

Yeah, but apparently the last of the funnies .

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The Joy of Sect was the first episode I remember absolutely hating. It's probably the first time Homer is in full on, unbearable "Jerkass" mode.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I thought Joy of Sect was one of the last good ones! You've got Homer being 'the most powerful mind they ever encountered' before being defeated by the Batman jingle, Mr Burns' extremely homoerotically fascist stab at godhood before getting set on fire and falling off his balcony, 'he's our husband now', Marge running from The Prisoner balloon. It's not the show at its absolute finest but it still like a good 8/10 show with some good bits that tells a traditional Simpsons story

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Didn't that also have the deprogramming expert? I thought that was a great bit too.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"Who do you love now?"
"Hoverbiiiiiiikes!"
"Hmm, close enough."

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like one of the ways you can distinguish good old Simpsons from bad new Simpsons is that nusimp never has any memorable bits, even if it manages to make you laugh in the moment. Joy of Sect was a middling good Simpsons episode but it still had stuff like the hoverbikes or Willie's "quiet, he's talking about my leader!"

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Didn't that also have the deprogramming expert? I thought that was a great bit too.

That's Burns's heir, unless you're talking about Willie (see above).

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

"I'd kill you if I had my gun!"
"Yeah, well, you don't. "

Is a great exchange. Also the gunshop name "Bloodbath and Beyond"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

No Dignity posted:

classic Simpsons had proper contempt for the stupids, modern conservatives have learned to fully embrace the stupids to fleece them of their money

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

No Dignity posted:

I thought Joy of Sect was one of the last good ones! You've got Homer being 'the most powerful mind they ever encountered' before being defeated by the Batman jingle, Mr Burns' extremely homoerotically fascist stab at godhood before getting set on fire and falling off his balcony, 'he's our husband now', Marge running from The Prisoner balloon. It's not the show at its absolute finest but it still like a good 8/10 show with some good bits that tells a traditional Simpsons story

Joy of Sect has some good bits but you can tell new simpsons is starting to creep in. Won't say it's a bad episode though I watched it recently and enjoyed it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The Joy of Sect was the first episode I remember absolutely hating. It's probably the first time Homer is in full on, unbearable "Jerkass" mode.

it's where the name originally comes from, he says "out of my way jerkass!" twice in it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm quite a big fan of The Cartridge Family, but then again I am British, so the bit that hits closest to home is the football riot.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I liked the throwaway joke that the car now has broken axles & it’s not explained how Homer still managed to drive home. Also the headline “Family Station Wagon Outruns Cops.”

No Dignity posted:

lol one of my all time favorite jokes is Mr. Burns wanting to be worshiped then sitting silently for a long time until Smithers gently reminds him nothing will happen unless he tells him the plan. And Lenny loving Special K.

Cosmik Debris posted:

Joy of Sect has some good bits but you can tell new simpsons is starting to creep in. Won't say it's a bad episode though I watched it recently and enjoyed it.

I really noticed bad Simpsons creeping in with Lisa the Skeptic, when the angel is found all the townsfolk instantly materialized for one liners including ugh Sideshow Mel. And later they form an angry mob & that’s needed every episode (although to be fair it did give us the robot feeling pain & Moe hoping medical science will cure him.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We had an angry mob featuring all the heretofore introduced townspeople in The Telltale Head! It's comedy gold!