Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Modern social media makes conversations simply impossible, comfortable or not. Can't have a conversation if it's not even guaranteed your contributions will be seen by anybody, thanks to an algorithm. And if everything is just ephemeral. The death of simple chronologically ordered threaded content was the death of social media as a means of useful communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Ahh, I love it when a "visionary in real estate" gets busted as a scammer and a AirBnB slumlord:
https://dnyuz.com/2024/01/02/notorious-airbnb-host-charged-with-allegedly-running-8-5m-nationwide-scam/

quote:

If Goel is convicted, the government could force him to forfeit all of the properties, according to the indictment.

Oh my God please.

What would happen in that case, anyway? Would they get put up for auction by the government?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

send goel to gaol

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm part of somethingawful forums in 2024 because it was uncool back in the day and is uncool now, for similar but different reasons

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I love my dead, gay, uncool forums.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

steinrokkan posted:

Modern social media makes conversations simply impossible, comfortable or not. Can't have a conversation if it's not even guaranteed your contributions will be seen by anybody, thanks to an algorithm. And if everything is just ephemeral. The death of simple chronologically ordered threaded content was the death of social media as a means of useful communication.

That I agree

credburn posted:

I'm part of somethingawful forums in 2024 because it was uncool back in the day and is uncool now, for similar but different reasons

I confess I used to believe it was very cool, back in the day

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

This

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I love my dead, gay, uncool forums.

And this too

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Elias_Maluco posted:

I confess I used to believe it was very cool, back in the day

You were deeply uncool though so your concept of what cool was did not conform to cool in reality.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Inceltown posted:

You were deeply uncool though so your concept of what cool was did not conform to cool in reality.

were seems like a misleading qualifier

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Now that's what I call impaled gonads

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Seems like the wrong kind of fence to build around a skatepark.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mister Speaker posted:

Seems like the wrong kind of fence to build around a skatepark.

But perfect for those birds that leave their prey on spikes, a skater would be a pretty good get

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

GoutPatrol posted:

But perfect for those birds that leave their prey on spikes, a skater would be a pretty good get

Tony Shrike's Pro Impaler

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

lol

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Absolutely this.

The major social media outlets are advertising cesspools full of scams and dropshipping ads and self-absorbed twits gaming algorithms to maximize how much attention they get and how much money they can make doing it, as well as soulless viral media mills that steal and repost content for the same above reason. They are poorly moderated and possibly the worst way to actually be social, and it's drat near impossible to carry a coherent conversation in them because the flow inevitably ends up fractured by likes/upvotes weighting what you see first, or algorithms just throwing things at you any which way it wants rather than in a logical chronological order.

In contrast, forums and chat clients like irc or discord are much easier to hold a conversation in, much more likely to be full of people united by some topic or another, and much easier to moderate, comparatively so. I've had so many more meaningful and informative conversations on forums and irc/discord than I will ever have on Instagram or Twitter.

Just because forums are place to be social, does not make them the same as what most people refer to as "social media".

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
None of that discounts that it's social media.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I always played as Ducky Lasek

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

iwentdoodie posted:

I hear you and get what you're saying, but I can pretty confidently say that there's a clear difference in scope and use case between large corporate social media sites and forums/chat clients, enough to distinguish them as separate categories imo.

If we're splitting hairs, even snail mail is social media insofar that one can use it as a medium for social interaction, but no one talking about social media is referring to that. :P

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Writing on toilet walls is social media

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
brb gonna send shitposts via carrier pigeon

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Inceltown posted:

This is because nothing funny or valued has ever been written on them

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Soul Dentist posted:

Toilet graffiti is the highest form of discourse.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
air is social media because it's a medium through which i use "sound" to transmit messages to my social group

but seriously, "social media" doesn't just mean "internet media that is social"; it has never meant that. Message boards and chat clients predate the term "social media," which was a term created for the likes of MySpace and Facebook to distinguish them from other forms of online communication. This dead gay forum is not "social media."

I will die on this hill too.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Soul Dentist posted:

:wrong:

Someone wrote SHITBARF above the urinal and for a moment I forgot I was using a disgusting bar bathroom.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Soul Dentist posted:

Go home Dad, you're drunk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inceltown posted:

OG shitposting

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Atticus_1354 posted:

Toilet graffiti is the highest form of discourse.

:haibrow:

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

OG shitposting

Shitposting is so old that I suspect it's deeply wired into the human consciousness. See e.g. Pompeiian graffiti. My fave: "Theophilus, don't perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog".

... and, of course, the meta-shitpost: "O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Chicken Butt posted:

Shitposting is so old that I suspect it's deeply wired into the human consciousness. See e.g. Pompeiian graffiti. My fave: "Theophilus, don't perform oral sex on girls against the city wall like a dog".

... and, of course, the meta-shitpost: "O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed you have not already collapsed in ruin."

I like to think that some long-dead Roman felt the ground shake, saw the black plume exploding upwards on the horizon, saw the ash cloud roaring down the street engulfing human after screaming human; and then he grit his teeth and reached for his shitpostin' paint. With only a few moments left, he knew what had to be done.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Something Awful is social media in the same way that Arby’s is an NGO.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Toilet stall graffiti I saw the other day:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

That picture reminds me of the fillmore! Episode about stainless

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

iwentdoodie posted:

Your right, but only because old style forums were so irrelevant when that term came around no one thought to make a different term to differentiate them.

When you say "social media" no one thinks of forums. Hell no one thinks about forums really anymore at all.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The bbcode separates them automatically:

drat, I didn't realise this was going to be such a contentious issue

I blame Radium :argh:

I blame tiktok, for existing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

freeedr posted:

I have one at home but I don’t really use it for anything except the rare occasion when I need to sign up for something or pay something online and then off it goes again. I was being facetious about desktops but actually at home I don’t use computers at all except answering my smartphone I guess

Opposite for me, I use the phone for bills but the desktop for everything else.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Toilet stall graffiti I saw the other day:

it's true

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Tired of wokeness in my toilets.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Tiktok sucks but it brought gameplay videos of some amazing games into my life that crack me the gently caress up, so at best I'm ambivalent to if it needs to die in a grease fire.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Social media as a term was invented to describe an algorithm-driven alternative to "traditional" media such as newspapers or television, the point being that you could monetize human sociality itself to drive individually targeted advertising that was impossible to achieve with focus groups etc. The term has at no point referred to "a media that is social" like ye olde forums or chatrooms, it's all about the ads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Careful with that, I'm pretty sure MySpace was firmly social media, but didn't that have any 'algorithms' of the kind we refer to?

drat, does anyone have a screenshot of their myspace page that they'd like to share? I'd like to think it'd be 100% thread content appropriate all these years later.