Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Reign of Fire has a pointless second act that goes on forever.

One of those "just watch the last 20 minutes" sort of movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I remember being really confused at how there could be just one male dragon in the whole world. Wouldn't he get tired?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

My first movie of the year was Maniac Cop. It's surprisingly good! The troma logo popped up and I expected it to be cheap trash but seems like they used some good quality film. The biggest problem is that it's not goofy/fun enough and is light on the gore. It either needed to be a waaaay better movie or lean in to the cheese, so instead it's just kinda middle of the road thing. It loving hates the police tho so that's cool.

e: turns out Troma just bought the rights to the movie a few years ago so that's the reason for the logo

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 3, 2024

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

hemale in pain posted:

My first movie of the year was Maniac Cop. It's surprisingly good! The troma logo popped up and I expected it to be cheap trash but seems like they used some good quality film. The biggest problem is that it's not goofy/fun enough and is light on the gore. It either needed to be a waaaay better movie or lean in to the cheese, so instead it's just kinda middle of the road thing. It loving hates the police tho so that's cool.

e: turns out Troma just bought the rights to the movie a few years ago so that's the reason for the logo

Yeah but in maniac cop 2 hes a zombie and thats fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbV6ubsDvTA

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

All three Maniac Cop movies have some insane scenes with people on fire, but the first doesn't quite measure up to the later ones.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I remember being really confused at how there could be just one male dragon in the whole world. Wouldn't he get tired?

That dragon fucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dragon fucks, cannibalizes smaller dragons and they can apparently subsist on eating ash when there aren't other dragons around to eat.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

watched north by northwest in the theatre

obviously a classic for many reasons, but I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. the main character is constantly quipping except the quips were... funny? in character? increasing the tension of the scene? what the gently caress???

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

What was his superpowers?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

No. 6 posted:

What was his superpowers?

Dodging planes strafing him mostly

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I watched Difficult People from Junka a few months ago. Not really as good as they made it out to be. They must’ve just had weirdly calibrated tolerances considering all the utter garbage they watch.

Skip!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

priznat posted:

Dodging planes strafing him mostly

They strafe now?
They strafe now!

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

kalel posted:

obviously a classic for many reasons, but I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. the main character is constantly quipping except the quips were... funny? in character? increasing the tension of the scene? what the gently caress???

They spy now?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

kalel posted:

Hitchcock was an extremely funny dude and even when he was making high art he never let that get in the way of making sure the audience was entertained.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
evil dies tonight

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

But Kissinger was last year

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

stillvisions posted:

Tin foil hat theory #2: Disney finally stopped pushing for copyright extension forever specifically to allow Steamboat Willie to get used in horror and, shall we say "Steamboat Willie's Willy", and will use the "outcry" (real or imagined) to demand some special protection for characters that happens to cover every Disney creation. They really didn't have the leverage to do that with Winnie The Pooh, but Mickey's different. This one going immediate Nazi dog whistle is just icing on that cake.

All your conspiracy theories make perfect sense, but on the side of wholesome I'm pretty sure I'd never actually watched Steamboat Willie until yesterday, because I really was not expecting Mickey Mouse to pick up that pig and start playing her nipples like a keytar.

Also I saw Reign of Fire once, during its run in the cinema and absolutely hated it, though I have no recollection why. I do recall a bit about dragons spitting nitro-napalm though, implying napalm was a dragon invention. I don't remember Matthew McConaughey (or Alexander Siddig?) even being in it, only Christian Bale.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

LanceHunter posted:

Hitchcock was an extremely funny dude and even when he was making high art he never let that get in the way of making sure the audience was entertained.

Yeah I watched rear window on Christmas Day and had forgotten how funny it was

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I watched Difficult People from Junka a few months ago. Not really as good as they made it out to be. They must’ve just had weirdly calibrated tolerances considering all the utter garbage they watch.

Skip!

Weird, my friend group and I all watched it and had a great time.

We may have been marginally lit, though, so maybe it's a film that needs some social lubrication before being funny.

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Dandywalken posted:

they fly now?

Money Plane.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Skip!

I can see it being a riot to them because they kept razzing Mike about it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Charles Ford posted:

Also I saw Reign of Fire once, during its run in the cinema and absolutely hated it, though I have no recollection why. I do recall a bit about dragons spitting nitro-napalm though, implying napalm was a dragon invention. I don't remember Matthew McConaughey (or Alexander Siddig?) even being in it, only Christian Bale.

McConaughey shaved his head for the movie so he doesn't look like his usual self. I think Siddig was a radio operator or something, it was a bit part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZyFfCYm_8

Apparently it's on Disney Plus so I think I'll watch it today to see how well my recollection holds up apart from psycho man with axe vs Dragon. Honestly even when I was young I mainly thought the movie was decent but not great. Nowadays though there's such a lack of good films that even an average movie from 20 years ago looks like a masterpiece by comparison.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 3, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Reign of Fire was such a big disappointment to me when I first watched it.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I liked imagining the logistics needed to take helicopters and tanks across the Atlantic and the skydiving mini game used to catch dragons

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Skip!

Keep in mind the core crew are film students. They (at least used to) get a huge kick out of going to a 24-hour film competition and laughing at how crappy everyone's submissions are. That's what Partners feels like. Honestly the only reason I even made it through Partners was realizing that I think the main villain is basing his portrayal off of Ledger's Joker. I looked it up once and the timelines mesh. Like they would have had to re-record a lot of his stuff late in production which meshes with the Ambulance Ex Machina. If you're not the sort of person to dig into movies like that, skip these kinds of recommends.

I might be able to have fun with Difficult People. But I'm old enough to have watched these sorts of training videos unironically for work. So this has massive nostalgia for me.

Now hold on while I write my dissertation about why Wish Upon is not a good movie night and a sure sign of bad ppinions in moopies.

Gutcruncher posted:

Everyone should know by now to just completely ignore all projects featuring recently public domain characters. Wait a decade, then the actual stuff that gives a gently caress will start coming.

First off, I've seen so much Disney astroturfing on forums lately. Like I guarantee if you scrub through SA you'll find some accounts posting a suspicious amount of "I sure do enjoy my Disney+ account(tm) fellow young people(r)!". This whole discussion is bought and paid for because Disney is terrified of losing relevancy. Beginning and end of story. But pretending for half a second that's not the case.

The current horror industry is trash. There's an unbelievable amount of international money looking to invest in anything that has half a claim to franchise potential and quickly turn out content that might be resold to some garbage streaming service or whatever. Anything that lowers any bar, like AI scripts, is going to result in waves of trash out of this industry.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Disney sponsorships are the only way some of us can afford accounts and avatars

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

just so everyone knows, my hatred of sony is 100% pure and not-for-profit

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disney+ is awesome and I love watching the content they produce.

RevDrMikey
Nov 16, 2023

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

just so everyone knows, my hatred of sony is 100% pure and not-for-profit

There's a great documentary about Sony on Disney+.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I got an HIV test and it came back Disney+

I sure hope it doesn’t become full-blown AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSS!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m going to watch the Mickey Mouse (tm) classic When the Cat’s Away (c) (1929), which is only legally available streaming on Disney+

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Charles Ford posted:

I really was not expecting Mickey Mouse to pick up that pig and start playing her nipples like a keytar.

If they did that in the horror knock off I would be impressed.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Space Kablooey posted:

Reign of Fire was such a big disappointment to me when I first watched it.

The only reason I have any memory of Reign of Fire is that it was one of the first movies I ever downloaded from IRC as that new fangled xvid format made downloading long format video feasible on our lovely 56k connection.

the problem was that xvids tended to look dark and washed out by natured, combined with Reign of Fire being dark and blue filtered as poo poo already.

the end result was both a horrible viewing experience, but at the same time amazing as you were still watching a free brand new movie at home.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
First movie I ever pirated was jason x on a 56k connection. Took forever to download and it was split into 2 parts. I never watched the second half of that trash.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Meat Wagon posted:

First movie I ever pirated was jason x on a 56k connection. Took forever to download and it was split into 2 parts. I never watched the second half of that trash.

I mean that is a terrible way to watch it but the movie loving rules

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
first pirace had to have been ninja scroll or vampire hunter d, maybe the tenchi movies

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
For my first, well, it turns out you CAN download a car!!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

RevDrMikey posted:

Keep in mind the core crew are film students. They (at least used to) get a huge kick out of going to a 24-hour film competition and laughing at how crappy everyone's submissions are. That's what Partners feels like. Honestly the only reason I even made it through Partners was realizing that I think the main villain is basing his portrayal off of Ledger's Joker. I looked it up once and the timelines mesh. Like they would have had to re-record a lot of his stuff late in production which meshes with the Ambulance Ex Machina. If you're not the sort of person to dig into movies like that, skip these kinds of recommends.

I might be able to have fun with Difficult People. But I'm old enough to have watched these sorts of training videos unironically for work. So this has massive nostalgia for me.

Now hold on while I write my dissertation about why Wish Upon is not a good movie night and a sure sign of bad ppinions in moopies.

First off, I've seen so much Disney astroturfing on forums lately. Like I guarantee if you scrub through SA you'll find some accounts posting a suspicious amount of "I sure do enjoy my Disney+ account(tm) fellow young people(r)!". This whole discussion is bought and paid for because Disney is terrified of losing relevancy. Beginning and end of story. But pretending for half a second that's not the case.

The current horror industry is trash. There's an unbelievable amount of international money looking to invest in anything that has half a claim to franchise potential and quickly turn out content that might be resold to some garbage streaming service or whatever. Anything that lowers any bar, like AI scripts, is going to result in waves of trash out of this industry.

Reg date 2023 you say

First movie I ever pirated was Bowfinger, in handcam format from irc

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
theblairwitchprojectTELESYNC.asf from a private ftp i found from some guy on irc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

priznat posted:

For my first, well, it turns out you CAN download a car!!

well of course, the internet is a big truck