Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

watho posted:

is it in beam.ng where people make fake drift videos to put on tiktok/shorts/whatever?

Yes, they record themselves driving in an empty area, then place down cones so the replay looks super skillful. It's incredibly dumb.

Coffee Jones posted:

iD and Valve seemed to treat their engine licensing business as a side hustle instead of an actual arm of the company, and consoles were an afterthought instead of being the primary target until the 2010's.

I think in iD's case it's because they were a small company just doing the stuff they wanted to do, and in Valve's case it's because working on Steam will wrangle you 100 times more money for the same effort than working on an engine to license will.

Sweeney aimed high and as a consequence he created his own money printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

njsykora posted:

I think they did the PS3 version of Portal 2 themselves though mostly because EA humiliated them with the Orange Box port job.

that's correct but then the switch port of portal 1/2 was done by nvidia of all people (probably derived from their work porting it to the shield)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

K8.0 posted:

Honestly it’s the same thing he’s always been doing so it kinda makes sense:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Randalor posted:

Okay, I'll admit I laughed at the last one. Just needs a slide whistle for the Looney Toons effect (no idea if it has one, I watched the video with sound off).

It has something better: the sound of a usb device being unplugged in Windows.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

K8.0 posted:

I think in iD's case it's because they were a small company just doing the stuff they wanted to do, and in Valve's case it's because working on Steam will wrangle you 100 times more money for the same effort than working on an engine to license will.

There's an interview somewhere with one of Id's higher-ups (Carmack?) explaining that they didn't want to be in the engine licensing business at all, they got into it temporarily because some company approached them wanting to license it and they deliberately quoted them an insane price to make them go away, and they said "yes" to the insane price so they were like "oh cool free money." They didn't really design the engines to be used in other games, didn't do much of any support, it was just accept big check and give them a copy of the source code repo for their most recent game.

They basically quit as soon as it started turning into a line of business where they would have to start caring about what licensees wanted when they were making their own games.

Source's licensing fees were also reportedly extremely cheap.

repiv posted:

modders only went with source because it was available to them, unreal was still inaccessible to mere mortals at that time
That's true in some ways and not true in others, but the biggest problem for Unreal modding circa UE3 was Unreal Tournament 3 being commercially unsuccessful.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 3, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

and give them a copy of the source code repo for their most recent game.

supposedly this is what happened with s&box, the sole third party licensee of source 2, they didn't have a standalone distro of the engine to give to facepunch so they just gave them the entire alyx development repo

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cool but not as cool as Guerilla just giving their engine to kojima on a usb drive

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
JayzTwoCents has been having some health problems
-Gall bladder removed
-Is anemic now
-Has lack of oxygen in his blood
-Micro-nutrient deficiency from gastric bypass from 2009 but it's suddenly worse for some reason
-Possibly has colon cancer, is getting a colonoscopy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKfYxyepl3c

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clickbait

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Clickbait

:yikes:

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

MarcusSA posted:

Clickbait

got em

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Clickbait

:thunk:

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Clickbait

lol

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't watch his content but at the same time cancer fuckin sucks and I'm sure his kids would like to not have their father die so... I guess I'm hoping it turns out the dude doesn't have stage 4 butt cancer or something. It can absolutely sneak up on a guy and take someone out in their 40's.

I didn't know he used to be a 500lb guy.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Clickbait

lol

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Mental Hospitality posted:

I don't watch his content but at the same time cancer fuckin sucks and I'm sure his kids would like to not have their father die so... I guess I'm hoping it turns out the dude doesn't have stage 4 butt cancer or something. It can absolutely sneak up on a guy and take someone out in their 40's.

Friend of a friend of mine died in her late 40s because of colon cancer. It’s no joke.

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Mental Hospitality posted:

I used to watch some of his custom builds because they were neat and worked as background noise but man, the quality of his videos was just absolute dogshit the last year and a bit and I completely tuned out. At least now I know why that happened. Hope he pulls through.

And you can kinda tell he used to be a bigger guy, he's got that "weirdly bulky but not fat" shape where he's probably got a lot of loose skin, Connor O'Malley has the same thing. It happens when you're well past obese and lose a lot of weight really fast. I knew a guy in highschool who did that, eventually he had the excess skin removed and that alone lost him another 25lbs, pricey surgery though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

Friend of a friend of mine died in her late 40s because of colon cancer. It’s no joke.

My dad died of colon cancer but he had boomer brain and refused to go to the doctor for years. Similarly, Reddit-beloved YouTuber TotalBiscuit was blasting blood into a toilet for years before he decided that maybe he should hang up Twitter for a few hours and see someone.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Tiny Timbs posted:

My dad died of colon cancer but he had boomer brain and refused to go to the doctor for years. Similarly, Reddit-beloved YouTuber TotalBiscuit was blasting blood into a toilet for years before he decided that maybe he should hang up Twitter for a few hours and see someone.

I still don't think some snide remark is an appropriate response to this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’ll keep that in mind before I share a personal detail about my father again.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Tiny Timbs posted:

My dad died of colon cancer but he had boomer brain and refused to go to the doctor for years.
Boomer brain like my step dad, who came from a family of 11 kids, two of which died of colon cancer, but wasn’t going to go to screenings, because no one’s gonna put a stick up his butt, because he ain’t gay?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

why would you take anything that racist nut says at face value, more to the point who's watching his videos to even find out

Arivia posted:

I'm teasing you. You may have forgotten, but I've defended you about Suetonius-posting in the past to your face.

Jay posted about shooting BLM protestors if they got anywhere near his house in a gated community back when marches were happening. It's in this thread if you want to go looking for it, although the links to his tweets might be broken with the mess Musk is making of poo poo.

e: jay deleted them, but this is the thread he did tweet that poo poo in if you've still got an X account https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/1268026886065537024 (and it's pretty obvious he's being a chud when you look at the thread)
this isn't even the 3rd time someone's mentioned jay out of the blue and had to have people remind them of all of this. when does this become wilful ignorance

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Blurb3947 posted:

I still don't think some snide remark is an appropriate response to this.

TotalBiscuit died of rear end cancer. This was funny, because he was a terrible person who cried that people he hated should die of rear end cancer.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

TotalBiscuit died of rear end cancer. This was funny, because he was a terrible person who cried that people he hated should die of rear end cancer.

Karma must have been relieved it had such a gimmie of a case with that person, huh?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus made the GN 2023 Disappointment Tour shirt (as "New Data Every Time"): https://store.gamersnexus.net/products/disappointment-pc-2023-cotton

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

why would you take anything that racist nut says at face value, more to the point who's watching his videos to even find out

this isn't even the 3rd time someone's mentioned jay out of the blue and had to have people remind them of all of this. when does this become wilful ignorance

I saw his video, got the tl;dr here and thought, "wow, that sucks. Oh well." and continue not watching his video content.

e: I guess to add to colon cancer talk my mother nearly died of it in her 30s and has a double-bag situation now due to poo poo doctors letting it metasticize before doing anything about it, her dad died in his 20s from it, his mother likely died from it (don't imagine colon cancer screenings were exactly scientific back in the 1900s-1920s).

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 3, 2024

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
The latest GN video prebuilt review is sorta weird, doing lame jokes to fill time as if they didn't have enough meat to talk about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9YiOLX5uQU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think they just figured if they're going to get views from the streamer PC company fans they need to give them what they want.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

trilobite terror posted:

are they on the youtubes?

They can be. It's all Greek so the audience is already limited, but it shouldn't be too hard to just upload them.

Half the reason I wanted to save them was to make sure they aren't lost, since we recently sold off the magazines and the tapes were pack-in for a year and a half.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I know someone with stage colon cancer, they found out after they went to the doctor who rushed them to the hospital for severe blood loss. Apparently they had been slowly bleeding out for like weeks/months because of the tumor.

I know denial is a powerful thing by I feel like by the time you had lose enough blood to almost kill you by itself you would notice something was seriously wrong.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHS3qxU_3RE

Do you think he’ll use the Vision Pro as a flex to his viewers since he’ll probably get one for free, or will he try to convince his viewers that $3500 for a first gen apple product is a life changing thing they must have?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

affiliate link money on tech gadgets is a good racket

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All I know is there’ll be an 8k tracked camera shot zooming in on his begoggled face before cutting to an ad for his life changing sneakers

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
"Im not going to go to CES I know you'll send me the good stuff on twitter".

Wow thanks MB

Really showing your love for the industry.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 4, 2024

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Branch Nvidian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHS3qxU_3RE

Do you think he’ll use the Vision Pro as a flex to his viewers since he’ll probably get one for free, or will he try to convince his viewers that $3500 for a first gen apple product is a life changing thing they must have?

there's a ton worth criticizing about Marques, but that's really not something I expect

he's definitely a professional fanboy, but also the type of pro fanboy who either cynically or earnestly tries to cultivate some degree of plausible detachment and deniability.

he'll regularly criticize Apple poo poo, albeit usually diplomatically/weakly, and sometimes more concretely like when he basically said the Studio Display was a bad value and half-baked product failing to reach its imagined potential, if only from an exclusively usability or features standpoint and never ever the business practices of the company itself, or the industry, etc. Like, he's absolutely in the category of puff "journalism", but he's by no means like a Rene Ritchie.

and like he probably will get a Vision Pro for free, at least for a few days or weeks, but lets not pretend that he can't afford the $3500 or that he wouldn't be put on a shortlist to buy one if they sell out, or that he wouldn't be able to simply and easily write one/a whole office fleet of them off as a business expense.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pretty sure Apple doesn't give out permanent freebies when it comes to their expensive luxury products anyway. Their review samples are always loaners.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I feel fairly confident predicting that "wearing a screen on your face" will not become the standard way of interacting with a computer

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Thanks Ants posted:

I feel fairly confident predicting that "wearing a screen on your face" will not become the standard way of interacting with a computer

Awesome video, here's a sub! What's your Patreon so I can sub to that too???

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Pretty sure Apple doesn't give out permanent freebies when it comes to their expensive luxury products anyway. Their review samples are always loaners.
can't wait to be the third person to test out the apple grease face sponge as handed down by the grognards who reviewed it before me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think it will ever become the standard way, and I don't think Apple's giant ski goggles approach will be the dominant way, but I do think that it will have a solid niche moving forward. There's some AR glasses (the XReal ones I think?) that some posters over in the Steam Deck love and swear by for gaming on airplanes . I've seen a few other people talk about using them for watching movies, etc. in similar situations. At ~$400 they're a pricey accessory, but also not out of the question for someone who has a specific use case.

It won't be the standard way of interacting with a computer, but give it a few more years and I could absolutely see it being pretty common if someone wants to do some work on a (virtual) full sized desktop in an area where small laptop or tablet screens are all that you have space for (e.g. airplanes) or if they want to be 100% sure that people aren't looking at their screen over their shoulder.