Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Volguus posted:

Everything is passed by value in Java.

I was just Kramering in to post this. It's all pass-by-value, but a lot of those values are references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Just curious but what made you decide on Java over like, C#, Python, golang, rust

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Unless you're looking to work on legacy systems I would just go with Kotlin if entering the Java world now.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Golbez posted:

On a related note, if I were to start any other new language this year, what would be recommended? I'm also thinking of learning Python.

Maybe TypeScript? It’s on the opposite end of the “compiler that can do anything” spectrum from PHP, and it might be immediately useful for you in place of JavaScript.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

thotsky posted:

Unless you're looking to work on legacy systems I would just go with Kotlin if entering the Java world now.

Learning Kotlin without Java is like learning TypeScript without JavaScript which is to say that if you're just building fart apps you might be ok but the second you need to understand what the language is doing under the covers you're utterly hosed.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a hard prereq. if the lang is based upon some bytecode or transpiled or whatever to some other lang, gotta know other lang first

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Or you can always learn Haskell, as a comedy option.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I haven't looked into it because I've worked at pretty much exclusively Ruby/Python shops since '15 but is Java still mostly used by legacy shops like eBay, Oracle, Google or are there startups using it in 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, startupland has a distinct preference for p-langs

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
There are absolutely startups using Spring Cloud/Spring Boot/Dropwizard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are startups literally using haskell, its the law of small numbers. they're just generally more heterogenous than vast corps because they dont take orders. but the "we wanna just do business" contingent definitively mostly does plain p langs

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant

gbut posted:

Or you can always learn Haskell, as a comedy option.

I used Haskell at Facebook almost a decade ago now (https://hackage.haskell.org/package/haxl) and afaik it’s still being used there. It unironically owned and I’d love to work on something where it made the absolute tiniest bit of sense to use again and I could be that guy. (beyond puzzles or whatever)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I know Bloomberg has a handful of production systems written in Haskell as well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
In my experience with startups and fairly recent job searching, Go is the new hotness for server-side code and Python still exists. Ruby shops are becoming more and more rare. Ofc, Node-based shops are as common as ever.

Big but not explicitly tech companies are just as Java-focused as they've been for the last two decades. They have a lot of infra built up around Java and will force acquisitions to migrate.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Oh, I’d love to use it in production myself. It just feels like there’s a large gap between starting to learn it and knowing it well enough to be hirable at a Haskell shop.

I’ve been moving in the opposite direction and I’m back in the PHP land now. :( But, so help me dog, I’ll find a way to shimmy it into my work someday, somehow.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
We’re moving toward writing all new components in rust and learning Haskell has been fun in the context of learning how to rust better.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
After writing Haskell for fun, I can't imagine wanting to have it running in prod. Small code change and suddenly your code causes infinity thunks to appear and the performance is dead -> not my idea of fun :v:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there are startups literally using haskell, its the law of small numbers. they're just generally more heterogenous than vast corps because they dont take orders. but the "we wanna just do business" contingent definitively mostly does plain p langs

What's a p lang? I haven't encountered that term before.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
python, perl, php, pruby, pjavascript...

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I don't see Processing, nor Pure Data, nor Prolog in that list. Shame.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
PL/I or GTFO.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

https://exqomaniarules.bandcamp.com/track/the-letter-p-freestyle-sean-price-mf-doom-kay-slay-tribute

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gbut posted:

I don't see Processing, nor Pure Data, nor Prolog in that list. Shame.

that's because none of these have the soul of a plang

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I still think p lang is better than all the plangs

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

i was a long time java hater but gave in for the figgies and now after 5 years with it it's not that bad?? even fine to good?? java 17+ and modern coding style cuts down on a lot of baggage, and well yea there's a base level of boilerplate that's never going away but i rarely encounter pants on head stupid things in the language or ecosystem like js and python (both of which i still touch just not primarily)

kotlin looks cool but modern java and spring boot makes slangin web backendy stuff easy and predictable

send help?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there were lotsa pants-on-head stupid things 10, 20 years ago, they just did great cullings and you're working in a codebase without them, presumably, if you're in a java 17 shop

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

we're still lugging around a ~15 year old java 8 (now 11!) monolith and that is certainly more painful so i'm familiar, but honestly i still might prefer it to a lot of the other existing codebases i've dealt with. old school java has a lot of cruft to wade through but the tooling is great and most things are (painfully) explicit/verbose

but yea most new big initiatives are wholly detached from that and jettison most of the baggage and is a huge breath of fresh air, comparatively

it's me, i'm the java apologist

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guinness posted:

we're still lugging around a ~15 year old java 8 (now 11!) monolith and that is certainly more painful

My only professional experience with Java was an at the time 16 year old Java monolith that had been recently upgraded to/made compatible with Java 8. I did not like it very much

Maybe it sucks less now

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Honestly, as I've gotten older, I've minded verbosity and tediousness in my languages less and less. Which isn't to say that Java was right all along with how verbose it was, mind, just that it's not the horrible sin I used to think it was.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Kotlin is pretty awesome, and it seemed to force Java to catch up with the times. Non-reified generics in the JVM might be my biggest gripe, which isn't that big of a deal, and you can kind of hack it with inlining. So maybe Gradle is my least favorite part of working in the JVM? I dunno.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly, as I've gotten older, I've minded verbosity and tediousness in my languages less and less. Which isn't to say that Java was right all along with how verbose it was, mind, just that it's not the horrible sin I used to think it was.

Developers will always find ways to add accidental complexity that is more painful than the type system or syntax quirks of a runtime :smith:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I don't like verbosity, but I like jumping through ridiculous hoops to avoid writing an extra 8 characters a hell of a lot less.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I don’t enjoy Java, but my old mentor was a wizard with Springboot, and could perform magic just by adding a couple lines to a config. His speed on feature development was like nothing else.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

lifg posted:

I don’t enjoy Java, but my old mentor was a wizard with Springboot, and could perform magic just by adding a couple lines to a config. His speed on feature development was like nothing else.

Those tactical tornadoes are the bane of my existence these days, but at least they keep me employed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

luchadornado posted:

Those tactical tornadoes are the bane of my existence these days, but at least they keep me employed.

:same: :hfive:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

At my startup (15 engineers) we use both Python and Kotlin in different services. I come from Python but after a couple years I have to say I really prefer Kotlin.

Of course, two backend langs at our size causes some organizational challenges, but that's another post.

Been tempted to learn Go as we do a lot of "Kubernetes-native" crap and it's more or less the only language in that community, but I've resisted so far

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

luchadornado posted:

They have their use, but I absolutely loving hate picking up the debris.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Xarn posted:

They have their use, but I absolutely loving hate picking up the debris.

If they're not utilized properly they cost an org 10x their rate for their output. I'd rather not have any, especially without strong review guidelines.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

leper khan posted:

If they're not utilized properly they cost an org 10x their rate for their output. I'd rather not have any, especially without strong review guidelines.

The true definition of a 10x coder.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's 2024 and I still hate the slack redesign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

It's 2024 and I still hate the slack redesign

It's 2024 and I still wish we were using IRC and BBS