Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife wants a coupe tho so it would have to be the RCF then :getin:

What about the LC500 instead…

https://youtu.be/2HPszF7iwYw?si=vKVNZbSbfxij2Ygr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

My wife wants a coupe tho so it would have to be the RCF then :getin:

didn't you say she has a super long commute and thats why you had the hybrid

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

didn't you say she has a super long commute and thats why you had the hybrid

Yeah but she hates it and wants another Lexus :shrug:

[e] hindsight being 20/20 going from an LS to an Avalon was probably a bad idea :v:

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Russian Bear posted:

Oh I see, I assumed the trunk lid would have to be replaced (maybe just the picture making the alignment look weird). That’s a $2800 part alone (here anyway).
Yeah, it looks like it's pushed in by inch or so. It may also be just unlatched.

I'd like to see photo of the spare wheel well liner / or floor, if that has any ruptures. When my Volvo suffered similiar fate (with a cheap Toyota, too!) the cost of repair was north of 13 k€ due to hidden damages inside. The car looked alright, but in measurements it was good inch shorter on passanger side.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Russian Bear posted:

Oh I see, I assumed the trunk lid would have to be replaced (maybe just the picture making the alignment look weird). That’s a $2800 part alone (here anyway).

Yeah, it needs to be. I assume they found a part from some other crash car. Will have to see what the final judgement is after they lift it up and start dismantling the rear.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
In a similar case where a DUI backed into a parked car I was driving (and fled the scene), the only visible damage was a 2” crack in the bumber. I would not have not noticed anything if an eyewitness did not point it out to me. The trunk floor and spare wheel well underneath the near pristine bumber were pushed in by couple on inches. Those plastic bumbers are suprisingly resilient.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on where you hit them I guess. I hit the corner of the rear bumper of my Mazda 3 on a concrete block and it destroyed the bumper cover (and BSM sensors) but didn't damage the structure of the car

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

DoLittle posted:

In a similar case where a DUI backed into a parked car I was driving (and fled the scene), the only visible damage was a 2” crack in the bumber. I would not have not noticed anything if an eyewitness did not point it out to me. The trunk floor and spare wheel well underneath the near pristine bumber were pushed in by couple on inches. Those plastic bumbers are suprisingly resilient.

Please I beg of you it's bumper

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

opengl posted:

Right about now, it's time to rock with the biggity buck bumber
Bump to the bump to the bump to the bass
bump to the bump to the bumber

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

redgubbinz posted:

Right about now, it's time to rock with the biggity buck bumber
Bump to the bump to the bump to the bass
bump to the bump to the bumber

I bought that game with a couple of friends when we were young for like £4 from the bargain bin at the games shop. It was worth it for that theme song, the game itself was completely awful.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

opengl posted:

Manuel says that's the breaks

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Russian Bear posted:

In my impression prices (and wages for some) have pulled away in the US while they remained more or less static in europe for like 20 years now. Causing an ever increasing gap in the perception of prices and costs.

Also my impression used car prices and parts prices are a lot higher in the US.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Audi decided to make a special edition of the q8 e-tron, that commemorates the dakar race where they got their teeth kicked in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn71ORrj1CE

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Audi decided to make a special edition of the q8 e-tron, that commemorates the dakar race where they got their teeth kicked in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn71ORrj1CE

When your marketing plan for using Dakar includes a special edition, and you’re hellbent on executing the marketing plan…

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess that reminds me it's been another year of rumors of audi bringing x wagon version over and it not happening.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Crumple zones crumpling to absorb energy is the car working as intended in a crash, not the car "being hosed" - yeah it's probably totaled but NOT doing that is a much worse outcome.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Honda has some new EV concepts, I like the sci-fi vibes quite a bit:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/01/these-are-hondas-concepts-for-its-new-family-of-evs-due-in-2026/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That rear looks like a gigantic wireless charging dock lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

"we have Bizzarinni Manta at home"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ I was about to mention an old school wedge.

While the profile of the black one looks fine the back end is loving dumb. Why does it scoop in so severely? Your vehicle is already taking up the footprint so just turn this bitch into a minivan and let's get back to having a good time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ I was about to mention an old school wedge.

While the profile of the black one looks fine the back end is loving dumb. Why does it scoop in so severely? Your vehicle is already taking up the footprint so just turn this bitch into a minivan and let's get back to having a good time.

A teardrop is the most efficient shape.

It's the reason the first gen insight and XL1 are shaped like that, too.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I upped the brightness a bit and it looks like it may have an actual useful diffuser setup?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It has one, yea. (as if that's actually ever going to get built)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Didn't expect the Dodge Hornet to have a PHEV option; kinda wonder what they're going for with this thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JXUCrs4VOo

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Monkey Fracas posted:

Didn't expect the Dodge Hornet to have a PHEV option; kinda wonder what they're going for with this thing

Why must all new cars be so chonky? What's wrong with a wee car, one that's much more efficient because it doesn't weigh 5000 lbs.?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

:confused:
Do they mean gesture control and if so :negative:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Monkey Fracas posted:

It’s a rebadged Alfa Romeo Tonale.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

No, posture control is where you hunch forward to accelerate and lean backwards and grip the door handle for dear life like my mother does when I Rev past 3K when you want to stop. Then lean side to side to corner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KakerMix posted:

:confused:
Do they mean gesture control and if so :negative:

Posture is important, therefore the car will go slower if you slouch.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

Monkey Fracas posted:

It’s gently caress ugly is what’s going on with it

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

In a world in which the Hyundai Staria and the Li Auto Mega MPV exist, this doesn't seem so outlandish. Basically a pancaked version of those two vehicles.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 9, 2024

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any insight into why exactly Dodge/Stella can't just keep cranking out dipshit V8 containers? CAFE thing? Platforms they're using finally getting too old? Not enough armed services bases?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Probably cafe but I like to think that they finally made enough of the loving turds to satisfy and fully saturate the market for shitheads

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

Stellantis tries to sell as many PHEVs as possible in CARB states to hit emissions targets.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Anyone have any insight into why exactly Dodge/Stella can't just keep cranking out dipshit V8 containers? CAFE thing? Platforms they're using finally getting too old? Not enough armed services bases?

Not enough profit margin.

North America is the only place they sell. Stuff like the Hornet can be sold in the rest of the world as the Alfa Romeo Tonale.

It's like when Ford killed the American Ranger in 2012. It was still selling well but just wasn't profitable enough.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It would have been cool if Dodge ever designed a car that wasn’t a loving tank to put one of their V8s in. poo poo, Fiat had a great platform and name to shove a decent turbo 4 into with the Dart and they never pursued it. They made the Neon SRT4, why not pursue that even a little with the Dart?

At least they made the Magnum as a RWD V8 sportswagon. No idea if it drove like butt, but I’m sure it did.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I remember reading the Dart was an unwanted concession to close the Fiat-Chrysler merger.

Which sucks because, yeah, it could’ve been a good car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Dr. Lunchables posted:

It would have been cool if Dodge ever designed a car that wasn’t a loving tank to put one of their V8s in. poo poo, Fiat had a great platform and name to shove a decent turbo 4 into with the Dart and they never pursued it. They made the Neon SRT4, why not pursue that even a little with the Dart?

At least they made the Magnum as a RWD V8 sportswagon. No idea if it drove like butt, but I’m sure it did.

Isn't the Dart chassis a stretched compact(AKA Alfa Giulietta)? I would guess FCA never got return of investment for making the chassis variant and also didn't got much room for peppy engines. I remember the main issue for the Giulietta was having anemic engines so maybe they didn't have anything to fit in that type.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The most recent Dart was based on the Giulietta, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They crammed a 2.4L tigershark in there, so a 2.0 turbo making like 250 hp shouldn’t have been an impossible stretch.

Wikipedia says there was plans for an SRT4 version with Travis Pastrana using it for rally, but it got canned immediately after someone said that.

e: there’s also a Chrysler 200 w/ AWD and a pentastar V6, which is something I had never heard of. Either way, they managed to mush a 3.6L V6 in there, which is a hell of a feat on its own.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 10, 2024