Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

010224_7 posted:

a Plagiarist makes it to President of Harvard University

A Plagiarist is President of the United States, Harvard is small beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Gyges posted:

A Plagiarist is President of the United States, Harvard is small beans.

The Harvard president gets paid over twice as much.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The Harvard president gets paid over twice as much.

No one is the president of the US or an Ivy League university because of the salary…

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Kalit posted:

No one is the president of the US or an Ivy League university because of the salary…

Yeah obviously, it's just funny.

If you have to spin an interesting point off it, it'z basically inevitable that each POTUS will be a little bit crooked because they're paid dramatically less than everyone they meet in the private sector, or than they could make with that same network and portfolio in the private sector.

The President should receive an exorbitant salary every year after they're elected, including after they leave office, and be forbidden from accepting any other money for the rest of their lives.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 3, 2024

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Professor Beetus posted:

Derailing a career for getting hung up on a few questions by a bad actor is just as stupid, if not more so. There shouldn't have been a congressional hearing about this dumb poo poo in the first place.

Why should she stay on as president if she can’t even capably represent her institution? I just don’t see how someone who got brutally embarrassed by the heiress to Premium Plywood Products can be expected to lead one of the worlds top universities.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

The Top G posted:

Why should she stay on as president if she can’t even capably represent her institution? I just don’t see how someone who got brutally embarrassed by the heiress to Premium Plywood Products can be expected to lead one of the worlds top universities.

I certainly got the feeling from the quoted exchange earlier in this thread that there was simply no response she could have given that wouldn’t have been broadcasted as insufficiently anti-Palestinian by the media. Also, I know the only thing that seems to matter anymore is how hard you wtfpwn your opponents, but maybe consider thinking of her as a human being who didn’t have the benefit of writing in hindsight on the internet about how she would destroy her enemies and maybe, possibly, even empathize with her and think about how impossible it would be to say the right thing under that situation when the Premium Plywood Products heiress is out for your blood because you’re, in her eyes, an inferior human being.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

VorpalBunny posted:

I just did another online Gallup poll, about my satisfaction with various aspects of the government and the state of the economy and everything, and I thought of you guys!

The most interesting question was if I would vote for someone Muslim or gay or over 80-years old, among other options. The only one I paused at was if the candidate was impeached by the House, I said no for that one, but I am fine with someone convicted of a felony (I couldn't add context in the survey but I would be ok with it if they did their time and obviously if it was for some bullshit charge). For the impeachment question, I was actually thinking more of Clinton and his sex with interns in the Oval Office more than Trump's various crimes - his impeachments are just one of many reasons why I would never vote for Trump.

I am very curious to see how this poll shakes out.

FYI this is talking about Joe Biden who is 100% getting impeached by the house before the election

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

FYI this is talking about Joe Biden who is 100% getting impeached by the house before the election

Unless the GOP loses what is now a one seat majority, after January 21. Better take your beta blockers, guys.

e: Aren't there still one or two who voted for Trump's impeachment in the House? I can't imagine they would be easy for Johnson & Co to land.

Impeaching a President for a blatantly made up reason with a one seat majority when you have over a dozen reps coming from districts that voted for that President is not easy to pull off.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 3, 2024

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m skeptical that they are going to be able to push forward with an actual vote before the election

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m skeptical that they are going to be able to push forward with an actual vote before the election

This. It's going to be a very hard to sell to anyone that impeaching Joe Biden is more important than passing a budget.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I certainly got the feeling from the quoted exchange earlier in this thread that there was simply no response she could have given that wouldn’t have been broadcasted as insufficiently anti-Palestinian by the media. Also, I know the only thing that seems to matter anymore is how hard you wtfpwn your opponents, but maybe consider thinking of her as a human being who didn’t have the benefit of writing in hindsight on the internet about how she would destroy her enemies and maybe, possibly, even empathize with her and think about how impossible it would be to say the right thing under that situation when the Premium Plywood Products heiress is out for your blood because you’re, in her eyes, an inferior human being.

That's true, but how did the literal president of literal Harvard not realize that in advance? Attendance at that hearing was voluntary.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. It's going to be a very hard to sell to anyone that impeaching Joe Biden is more important than passing a budget.
If the House margin is a couple of votes, the moderates who are trying to get re-elected are going to balk at a full impeachment vote

This was already part of the reason why they agreed to open a committee where they can issue subpoenas and keep up the illusion that they are actually going to do something

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Heithinn Grasida posted:

“Calls for genocide are always unacceptable, congresswoman”

Real simple. If you’re explaining you’re losing. Hire a goddamn PR firm before testifying in front of a hostile congressional hearing. Or maybe just dont testify if you’re not up to the task.

And spare me the tears for the woman who will return to her faculty position earning $900k per year despite the numerous instances of plagiarism in her academic work. I honestly thought Harvard would hold itself to a higher standard.

I’m not sure what you mean by this though:

quote:

when the Premium Plywood Products heiress is out for your blood because you’re, in her eyes, an inferior human being.

could you please elaborate?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FlamingLiberal posted:

A second indictment has hit the Menendez

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1742298243717795976?s=20

He absolutely needs to resign

Strangely enough of the two Congressman under investigation for financial crimes, it was only the visibly gay one who was expelled,

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Maybe she should've gotten fired for the hearing - yes it was a complete bullshit hearing, but she chose to go there and clumsily soak her name and her company's name deep in the mud. She could've, and should've, declined to show up, and if she had to show up she should've said "yes incitement to genocide is unacceptable at Harvard, so far nobody's done that, if it changes we'll act on it."

She definitely should've gotten fired for the plagiarism. The plagiarism was only exposed because of a contemptible right-wing campaign against her, but they didn't make her plagiarize, and no university can maintain even the pretense of dignity when it's led by a serial flagrant plagiarist.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Strangely enough of the two Congressman under investigation for financial crimes, it was only the visibly gay one who was expelled,
Menendez has a lot of power, whereas Santos was hated by everyone from day one and was clearly not going to make it more than his one term

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I admit I haven't read the plagiarism accusations in detail but considering every other accusation the right wing hurls is always bullshit I'm not exactly inclined to believe that *this* time it's different and the accusations have merit.

I mean, Shirley Sherrod and Ruby Freeman both exist. The right wing has a long history of making bad faith false accusations against black women. It's a whole thing.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

FlamingLiberal posted:

Menendez has a lot of power, whereas Santos was hated by everyone from day one and was clearly not going to make it more than his one term

Menendez is also a Senator which is another can of worms for deciding when to just kick him out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

The Top G posted:

I’m not sure what you mean by this though:

could you please elaborate?

They're saying that the congresswoman who asked her all the mean questions is actually a racist.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

Santos has some very obviously fraud things going on, like identity theft of his donors. Menendez has a lot of very obvious bribery things going on, but those are easier to cover up or give a fake explanation for. Hopefully Menendez will get his when more details come out. Does he have any real legislative power left? He stepped down from leadership iirc, but is he still on committees? He shouldn't be if he is.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I admit I haven't read the plagiarism accusations in detail but

It's pretty straightforward to look at two blocks of text and say "yes these are so similar that the latter is clearly replicating language from the former." When that replication takes place outside quotation marks,.it's plagiarism - even if the source is cited.

You can review the examples that prompted her exit, put together by the Washington Free Beacon, a right-wing outlet so here is a link that doesn't give them any ad money. But, in the service of their campaign against her for being a Black woman who doesn't take the entire right-wing Zionist line on campus bullshit, they put together some very simple visualizations of the text she used vs. the original text she's obviously copying without quotation.

https://web.archive.org/web/2024010...-of-plagiarism/

If she were a random worker then I might be inclined to disingenuously say it's not really plagiarism, or doesn't really matter. Certainly this is a case where her enemies deserve to lose at least as much as she does. But she's the millionaire chief executive of a billion-dollar corporation, she doesn't get any get-out-of-jail cards for poo poo that would get me or any of my coworkers fired instantly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I admit I haven't read the plagiarism accusations in detail but considering every other accusation the right wing hurls is always bullshit I'm not exactly inclined to believe that *this* time it's different and the accusations have merit.

I mean, Shirley Sherrod and Ruby Freeman both exist. The right wing has a long history of making bad faith false accusations against black women. It's a whole thing.

Maybe you should read the plagiarism accusations in detail before coming to a judgment about them? After all, the Shirley Sherrod and Ruby Freeman incidents were both characterized by people jumping to conclusions without full evidence, just like you're doing now.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Got an email this morning from the FL DoH explaining why the fl.surgeon general wants to ban covid 19 vaccines nationwide. He's worried the DNA will get into our sperm.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

That's true, but how did the literal president of literal Harvard not realize that in advance? Attendance at that hearing was voluntary.

This is the part that gets me. Nobody would have come out of that right wing struggle session looking good; I certainly wouldn't have. Her only real mistake was attending, but it was a doozy.

I'm honestly of two minds whether it's a damning failure. I can see not liking the optics of skipping it, and if you don't follow the right wing media sphere you might not realize just how far they're willing to go. I just don't get how you can get this invite, google the person, and still think "this is worth my time." Maybe the board made her go?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 3, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

It's pretty straightforward to look at two blocks of text and say "yes these are so similar that the latter is clearly replicating language from the former." When that replication takes place outside quotation marks,.it's plagiarism - even if the source is cited.

I'm not sure it is that straightforward. If someone writes enough pages of text, there are going to be portions that replicate other texts to one degree or another, partly due to random chance and partly due to human memory being imperfect; people accidentally quote each other frequently. There have been *many* instances of accidental "plagiarism" along those lines (it happens all the time in music and is frequently litigated) and a a fair evaluation of plagiarism accusations needs to take intent into account, which means detailed review of someone's entire body of work. Are those a few paragraphs out of tens of thousands of written pages, cherry picked by bad faith actors, or are they emblematic of a repeating pattern?

That's what I meant when I said I haven't looked at the accusations in depth. I read the headlines and a few Twitter posts but everything I saw making the accusations was from known bad faith actors and so I kinda doubt they did an impartial evaluation of intent.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 3, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe you should read the plagiarism accusations in detail before coming to a judgment about them?

I haven't come to a final judgment about them! But if I spent the time it would take to research every bad faith republican accusation in detail, I'd never have time to do anything else at all, and I still wouldn't finish, either. The right wing bullshit fountain doesn't stop from 9 to 5 or from 10 to 6 either.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Why on earth did they go through so much effort to make this hard to read, goddamn. I have switched to the "just assume it's bullshit" camp, because why else would they add visual effects like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is the part that gets me. Nobody would have come out of that right wing struggle session looking good; I certainly wouldn't have. Her only real mistake was attending, but it was a doozy. I'm honestly of two minds whether it's a damning failure. I can see not liking the optics of skipping it, and if you don't follow the right wing media sphere you might not realize just how far they're willing to go. I just don't get how you can get this invite, google the person, and still think "this is worth my time." Maybe the board made her go?

Yeah it just seems like absolute incompetence for the leader of any major institution to step into that room thinking a good faith debate was about to happen so let's all shake hands and chitchat. It's just basic media competence and it seems she doesn't have it, which should be independently disqualifying for the leader of any major institution.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

I haven't come to a final judgment about them! But if I spent the time it would take to research every bad faith republican accusation in detail, I'd never have time to do anything else at all, and I still wouldn't finish, either. The right wing bullshit fountain doesn't stop from 9 to 5 or from 10 to 6 either.

If you don't have the time to research this stuff then it's fine not to spend time talking about it. It's stupid bullshit and even if it mattered our discussion about it wouldn't matter.

But there's no valuable contribution to be made beginning with "I haven't really looked at whether there was plagiarism or not, but I looked into the races of the people involved, and..."

I'm not sure it is that straightforward. If someone writes enough pages of text...

If you look at the actual text comparisons it clearly goes far, far beyond what's remotely plausible by accident or innocent human error. We're talking about entire paragraphs that have maybe a few sentences excised, a few words added, a tense or two changed, and then precisely replicated without quotation.

This is why it's very difficult to make good points about the plagiarism accusations without actually reviewing those plagiarism accusations.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 3, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

Why on earth did they go through so much effort to make this hard to read, goddamn. I have switched to the "just assume it's bullshit" camp, because why else would they add visual effects like that.

I'm on my phone right now but looking at that as closely as i can, a lot of it looks like it's discussion of statutory and regulatory language, which often has to be *extremely* precise. The standard for use of quotation in legal documents is you only use quotation marks in *exact* quotation, and otherwise you don't; it's not about credit or plagiarism -- nobody cares about plagiarism in legal writing -- but about whether you are quoting something *exactly* or paraphrasing, even minimally. So a paraphrase for subject verb agreement or present / past tense adjustment doesn't get quotation makes because it isn't exact.

Conversly though there are often very few ways to rephrase something without substantively changing the meaning of the text you're talking about.

Maybe there's more to this but the bombastic style isn't convincing me. It looks like a clash between house styles for academic and legal writing, not an actual scandal.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 3, 2024

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

If you don't have the time to research this stuff then it's fine not to spend time talking about it. It's stupid bullshit and even if it mattered our discussion about it wouldn't matter.

But there's no valuable contribution to be made beginning with "I haven't really looked at whether there was plagiarism or not, but I looked into the races of the people involved, and..."

You don't think pointing out "hey guys, this might be racist bullshit, don't accept right wing framing at face value, they're racists?" might have value?

I'm pointing out the race of the people involved *because right wing media is racist* and we shouldn't forget that!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

This article goes through the claims.

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2023/12/12/allegations-plagiarism-gay-dissertation/

In my view, what she did in her dissertation was plagiarism; it's largely copying phrasing, so it's not functionally all that significant, but it's plagiarism. Any student would be reprimanded for it. The examples from her later articles would never raise an eyebrow if not for the dissertation issues, since it's technical language and it often does actually include the citations.

You will soon have your wish, but only for people who are the wrong kinds of major figures, like women and minorities. I hope that's good enough for you.

It's not like the Stanford guy who fabricated data, but still basic undergrad level of plagiarism

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

small butter posted:

I thought they were down to a 3-vote majority now. Who are the others who left besides Santos and McCarthy?

Edit: nm, started with a 4-vote majority, so -2 is 2 now.

I read that too fast and thought it said Ron Johnson and got waaaay too loving excited :negative:

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

You don't think pointing out "hey guys, this might be racist bullshit, don't accept right wing framing at face value, they're racists?" might have value?

Since you asked, it is completely valueless in the context of this forum where we all know perfectly well that right wing media is not intrinsically trustworthy at all. Nobody has suggested that a story's presence in right-wing media means it is true, so to respond to that idea has, yes, no value at all.

If you look at the text that Gay published, there's clear replication without quotation - plagiarism - not only in technical descriptions of mathematical formulas but also simple descriptions of historical background.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Since you asked, it is completely valueless in the context of this forum where we all know perfectly well that right wing media is not intrinsically trustworthy at all. Nobody has suggested that a story's presence in right-wing media means it is true, so to respond to that idea has, yes, no value at all.

There's a lot of users on this forum who earnestly parrot right-wing arguments because they don't critically analyze their sources at all as long as it agrees with their gut instincts.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Morrow posted:

There's a lot of users on this forum who earnestly parrot right-wing arguments because they don't critically analyze their sources at all as long as it agrees with their gut instincts.

If that's happened in this discussion, show me where.

If we're interested in talking about whether she committed plagiarism, then the question of interest is "did she publish text or ideas without proper attribution," not "how do we feel about the people who take the most joy in her being a plagiarist."

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 3, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'll just Plagiarize my way to a Harvard Diploma

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

If you look at the text that Gay published, there's clear replication without quotation - plagiarism - not only in technical descriptions of mathematical formulas but also simple descriptions of historical background.

This is a slight oversimplification, for what it's worth - quotation does not necessarily mean something isn't plagiarism, and a lack of quotation doesn't mean it is. In most fields you are allowed to paraphrase (in which case using quotes would not be allowed) with the proper citation style for doing so.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Since you asked, it is completely valueless in the context of this forum where we all know perfectly well that right wing media is not intrinsically trustworthy at all.

This seems like a greater assumption by far than anything else in the thread today. People credulously jump to conclusions in this thread all the time. The thread title was about that exact thing for a long time recently. People don't look at sources, accept first impressions, and jump to conclusions in here every day. This is not and never has been any kind of perfectly enlightened error free zone of perfect information. Pointing out potential bias always has value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

This is a slight oversimplification, for what it's worth - quotation does not necessarily mean something isn't plagiarism, and a lack of quotation doesn't mean it is. In most fields you are allowed to paraphrase (in which case using quotes would not be allowed) with the proper citation style for doing so.

I didn't say quotation necessarily means something isn't plagiarism.

I said there's replication without quotation, which might be permissible in some fields but in the social studies/"sciences" it's plagiarism.

The thread title was about that exact thing for a long time recently. People don't look at sources, accept first impressions, and jump to conclusions in here every day.

Did anyone here, in this discussion about plagiarism, do that?

In this case I think you're the one who, by your own admission, did not look at sources ("I haven't really researched this...*) accepted your first impression ("...but the people making the most noise about it are untrustworthy assholes..."), and jumped to a conclusion ("...so it's bullshit!")

And 9 times out of 10 that would probably be correct. But in this case she really did plagiarize. Sometimes a completely cynical raid for skeletons in someone's closet actually finds a skeleton.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 3, 2024