Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So a perfect Zucker replacement.

Just needs to get hurt right when he starts playing well again and he's there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
literally every point McDavid had in tonight's game (5 in a 5-2 night) was ridiculous:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/edm-vs-phi/2024/01/02/2023020583

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

So a perfect Zucker replacement.

Speaking of:
https://twitter.com/GinoHard_/status/1742402475049500760

It's almost as if Nick Cousins should be reined in before he kills somebody, then is killed by somebody else, and the killer gets a 5-and-a-game for the privilege.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's almost as if Nick Cousins should be reined in before he kills somebody, then is killed by somebody else, and the killer gets a 5-and-a-game for the privilege.

The system works!

Also, the Canucks scored 5 very stupid goals tonight.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of:
https://twitter.com/GinoHard_/status/1742402475049500760

yeah in a sane world Cousins would eat a suspension there, what the gently caress

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Has it been brought up before that Bertuzzi tapes the end of his stick like this

https://x.com/leafspapi_/status/1742419850868203933?s=46&t=HQKtcRjDK4S81BLV4tbVnw

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah well, there are more than a few problematic Leafs, based on this Athletic story:

quote:

Knies sits beside fellow NCAA product Bobby McMann. The two have formed a quick friendship and will usually chat each other’s ear off after takeoff.

But Knies is then first to plug his headphones in. He’s normally a fan of the “Spittin’ Chiclets” podcast but can’t listen during the season.

Knies will be spared only for being too busy to listen to that poo poo.

quote:

For McMann, the time in the air is an opportunity to study. He will often listen to the latest “Diary of a CEO” podcast.

I don't know what that is but it sounds loving stupid and a brief review of their last few episodes suggests as much.

quote:

Speaking of choices, travelling with the Leafs means being offered a caramel chocolate cookie prepared by the team’s chefs. But there’s a catch.

“There’s a huge argument going on because I don’t think they’re that good,” Knies said. “There’s too much sea salt on top for me. I can’t complain, but I also can’t believe people are saying they’re that good.”

I'd need a sample to judge. It's possible to make salted caramel too salty, I guess.

quote:

While he nibbles on his cookies, Benoit is one player who always keeps to himself toward the front of the plane. The defenceman detests flying, so he buries his head in real estate books.

Off the ice, he’s begun dabbling in real estate. He currently owns a multi-family home in Montreal that he rents out. And so preparing for a possible future in a different industry is a perfect way to distract him from the fact that he’s stranded thousands of feet in the air.

“After my career, I want to work in real estate. It’s good to keep my mind focused on something. You never know what you’ll do after your career because you’ve played hockey your whole life, right? I just want to keep doing something interesting,” Benoit said.

Sorry Koopa Kid, no mercy for this guy. Instant condemnation.

quote:

Nearby Benoit sits Timmins, who has taken up a new hobby on flights: Playing chess on an app. The hobby took on a life of its own during the team’s overnight flight to Sweden in November. Out of the corner of his eye, Leafs president Brendan Shanahan caught Timmins playing chess.

Timmins was new to the game. But Shanahan, evidently a chess fan, began guiding the young blueliner through the strategies and finer points of the game.

“I was getting killed by the computer. But (Shanahan) showed me some moves, and now I’m addicted to it,” Timmins said.

It's bold to admit you were getting owned by your phone, probably on an easy setting, but good on him.

quote:

Even if there’s some debate over who the best poker player is, there’s little debate over the loudest.

“Mitch,” David Kämpf said. “He’s always talking.”

stfu Mitch.

quote:

On flights, John Tavares has developed an intriguing habit. Regardless of whether the sun is shining or not, he insists on keeping his window shade open so he can get as much light exposure during the day, especially when changing time zones.

“Some guys don’t like it so much,” Tavares said with a smile.

Some loving captain you are!!

And lastly the Swedes sit in the back. No judgments on watching Ted Lasso or Narcos.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Zucker rules. I miss him.

And Cousins earned that. Rat player

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

literally every point McDavid had in tonight's game (5 in a 5-2 night) was ridiculous:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/edm-vs-phi/2024/01/02/2023020583

He was on one last night.

Oilers 1 point out of the playoffs with a game in hand. 6 points back of the Kings now too

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2013/05/27/nick-cousins-interview/2363521/

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

I can imagine a wry smile forming across Shanahan's face as he finally gets to flex en passant

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Can't believe the dumb 20-something pro athletes listen to dumb guy podcasts. It's obvious they're bad people.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 3, 2024

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Shocked to discover that hockey players are dumb

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ignorance isn’t an excuse. That’s why you’re all terrible people, and not just foolish ones.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Sens are hosed I think, cap team currently in a lottery position with a bottom-5 prospect pool and a 1st rounder being taken away in the next few years

Feeling like the 2010-2015 edition of the Oilers where it’s becoming apparent the rebuild wasn’t good enough

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

It's an Arty Party in Hartford.

https://twitter.com/WolfPackAHL/status/1742199139524325764

Looks like his AHL numbers are still decent.

Shinjobi posted:

yeah in a sane world Cousins would eat a suspension there, what the gently caress

How the hell did he not even get a minor there? Forsling got 2+5+10 and Zucker got 2+5+game.

We're not even a month removed from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQTuUfTiP9s

...which was a 5 reduced to 2.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

The Dirty Burger posted:

Sens are hosed I think, cap team currently in a lottery position with a bottom-5 prospect pool and a 1st rounder being taken away in the next few years

Feeling like the 2010-2015 edition of the Oilers where it’s becoming apparent the rebuild wasn’t good enough

Please send your lightly used Jakob Chychrun to Pittsburgh please and thanks. Will return uh a Ryan Graves and idk a 3rd?

Edit: Also a different thought - When do we get to say/ask if Tampa is in big trouble?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Dirty Burger posted:

Please return Tank to us at 50% retained.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I don't think Tampa's "in big trouble" per se but they're in a pretty sharp and foreseeable decline. The stars are getting older and slowing down (Hedman is 33, Kucherov is 30, Vasilevskiy is 29, even Point is 27 now) and the depth isn't there anymore, especially in the D corps. They've capped themselves out so they're basically where the Pens and Caps were about 2-3 years ago (first round fodder) and following the same trajectory back to the lottery.

The Avs are probably headed the same direction in the next couple years too--I looked them up the other day and they are a surprisingly old team across the board.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
They have 41 points on the board with more games played than anyone by a fair clip. The Isles and the Flyers are the 2 closest in games played/standings with 2 games in hand. Tampa kinda seems to be in that Pens spot from last year :shrug:

Also the Isles and their OT shenanigans are gross and I wish the league would move to the 3 point system, but absolutely won't because the faked parity is the point.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Dirty Burger posted:

As an outsider, the Sens main issue seems to be their goaltending. If they got even league average goaltending, their team doesn't look that bad. The Korpisalo trade was bad in the offseason, and looks even worse now.

Also, maybe it's because I know how the 10-15 Oilers turned out, and I still have high expectations for Stutzle/Norris/Tkachuk, but I prefer the Sens young talent over the Oilers.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They have 41 points on the board with more games played than anyone by a fair clip. The Isles and the Flyers are the 2 closest in games played/standings with 2 games in hand. Tampa kinda seems to be in that Pens spot from last year :shrug:

Also the Isles and their OT shenanigans are gross and I wish the league would move to the 3 point system, but absolutely won't because the faked parity is the point.

Every game that goes to OT magically becomes 50% more valuable in the standings. It's a gigantic incentive to stop trying if the game's tied in the 3rd and just bank that guaranteed point.

The incentive should go the other way--games that go to OT should become less valuable in the standings. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 0 for any loss.

Or just count wins and use regulation wins as the first tiebreaker. That still provides an incentive to try to win in regulation, instead of a perverse incentive to try to get to overtime.

e: But of course it doesn't allow e.g. the Penguins to pretend they're 15-14 when in fact they're 15-22, which is of course the point of the exercise.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 3, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Every game that goes to OT magically becomes 50% more valuable in the standings. It's a gigantic incentive to stop trying if the game's tied in the 3rd and just bank that guaranteed point.

The incentive should go the other way--games that go to OT should become less valuable in the standings. 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for an OT win, 0 for any loss.

Or just count wins and use regulation wins as the first tiebreaker. That still provides an incentive to try to win in regulation, instead of a perverse incentive to try to get to overtime.

Even 3-2-1 like international play is better since it encourages regulation wins but it doesn't go far enough since teams

My dumb points plan:

4 for regulation win, 3 for OT win, 2 for shootout win, 1 for OT/SO loss. Every phase loses the winning team a point so there's always an incentive to win now. If you go to shootout, you both suck and don't deserve the point. And 4 for regulation win keeps it easier to compare historically since you can just divide by 2.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
3-1-0 is good enough for soccer and should be good enough for hockey, OT/SO sucks anyway

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If you don't have ties there is no sound reason to use Points at all. Just count wins like every other sport on Earth that doesn't have ties. Regulation wins can be the first tiebreaker. It really doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

If you're playing soccer and half your games are ties, you need a 3-1-0 points system to discourage teams from playing for the 0-0 tie, lest 85% of your games be ties because almost all sports coaches are extremely conservative by nature.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I say bring back ties. OT would be cool if it wasn't mostly a game of keep away.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It should just be 2 points for a win, 0 for a loss.

Overtime is 5 on 5, but the nets are twice the size.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
No, other way around. Nets are those small ones they use during all-star activities, but no goalie.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mr. Kite posted:

No, other way around. Nets are those small ones they use during all-star activities, but no goalie.

Or maybe put a target up by the goal light that activates multi-puck.

Anything is better than dudes just circling back into their own zone every time they get spooked.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

The Avs are probably headed the same direction in the next couple years too--I looked them up the other day and they are a surprisingly old team across the board.

I was going to make an effort post about it, but the Avs biggest problem right now is that they've been so boom or bust in the draft over the last 10 years. They've gotten a handful of superstars, a couple of guys who are at least NHL players, and then nothing else. If f you want have a good laugh, or cry, have a look at the Penguins or Capitals in that same period.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Simplex posted:

I was going to make an effort post about it, but the Avs biggest problem right now is that they've been so boom or bust in the draft over the last 10 years. They've gotten a handful of superstars, a couple of guys who are at least NHL players, and then nothing else. If f you want have a good laugh, or cry, have a look at the Penguins or Capitals in that same period.

the Caps' last star draft pick was Forsberg lol

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

3 points for regulation win
2 points for overtime win
1 point for shootout win

I hate the shootout, it should be worth less than an overtime win. I do like getting rid of the loser point.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

4 points for shutout. The loser team should not give up so they can spoil the extra point.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That doesnt make sense because the shootout is part of the OT. The shootout decides who gets the OT goal.

The only proper way is 3 points awarded for every game.
Regulation winner gets 3, regulation loser gets 0.
OT/SO winner gets 2, OT/SO loser gets 1.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shutouts should actually steal a point from the loser team.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Get rid of points, settle it based on goal differential and nothing else. Wins are the tie-breakers

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Kraken stuff:

They waived their 7th defensemen who almost never plays, Jaycob Megna. The Blackhawks claimed him so Chicago must have an absolutely dire defense considering the Kraken's defense is really bad and they still didn't play Megna at all. Presumably this means Ryker Evans is going to get called back up and... sit as the 7th defensemen? Player development strategy doesn't make a lot of sense here. Evans was scratched for a game or two before being sent back down to the AHL recently with Schultz and Dumoulin returning as the 3rd pairing after THEY each got benched for a game or two each for sucking.

Jaden Schwartz is expected to return from IR fairly soon and that will create havok across all the lines except the 3rd most likely. Currently Tatar is playing on the 1st line and Tanev on the second line, probably both higher than they belong. Burakovsky is playing 4th line probably getting back into shape after returning from injury. I assume Tye Kartye is the one who gets scratched (currently playing out of position at 4C). So if you shuffle McCann up from 2 to 1, put Schwartz in his usual spot on 2, put Burky on 2 as well moving Tanev down to 4th and Tatar down to 4 it all "works". But now you have massively disrupted 75% of your lines which have gone 7-0-2 in the last 9 games.

The Kraken, BTW, are now 1 point out of a playoff position though the cluster of teams in the 36-40 point range all have a game or two in hand on them.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nybble posted:

Get rid of points, settle it based on goal differential and nothing else. Wins are the tie-breakers

Nah beating up on lovely teams shouldn’t wash away the stink of failure.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Season standings are decided by three legged races on ice during the all star break and potato sack relay races in the parking lot every third Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
should be 1 point for a win and zero points for not winning and the game is a tie after five minutes of five on five overtime, which happens immediately after the ice is cleared after third period