Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey osha thread, does a water jet also cut the grate that the parts rest on? How often do they need replacement? I imagine you want the grate flat, and it won't stay flat with a bunch of cuts in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

one thoughtless reach for the cut rather than the jig and you can go the rest of your life without a finger, goddam

Yes I wear oven mitts on both hands and have someone present when doing even very safe electrical work

Put a drat handle on your jig idiot, is what I'd tell the idiot that almost lost his fingers.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Karate Bastard posted:

Hey osha thread, does a water jet also cut the grate that the parts rest on? How often do they need replacement? I imagine you want the grate flat, and it won't stay flat with a bunch of cuts in it?

the one I have access to uses pegs as standoffs, and as usual with a CNC machine you need to identify where the blank is to be anchored and make sure it's clamped there

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're cutting the same thing on it over and over, you basically don't need to replace it - they grating gets a few cut marks in the top of it, but the undamaged part of the grating is still sufficient to support your work piece no matter how long your production run is.

If instead you're cutting a whole bunch of different things, then the grating can get cut up in so many different (and very close to each other) places that you need a new one eventually.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
it isn't exactly the same, but when I was using a cnc plasma table, the grid was made of sheet metal, the cut files for which were included with the device's software, so you could replace them yourself so long as you remembered to cut out spares before the old grate gets hosed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ironhead posted:

I don't have a problem with what he was doing, or the jig he had set up. I do it all the time to cut circles on my tablesaws. My problem was that he turned it the wrong way, had the blade too high, and was trying to take too big a bite.

If you do it right, it's a great way to make perfect circles for things like wagon wheels, much cleaner than on a band saw in my experience.

The problem is that, as we see in the video, a half-second brain fart and you lose a digit. I don't care how great and clean the results are -- it is not worth the risk.

Table saws are not intended for curved cuts anyway. The fact that they sort of work on convex curves is incidental. The safe way to do this job is to use a bandsaw, and then take the whole jig to a disc sander or something if you need to true it up.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 3, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo even a jigsaw would be safer

they're cheap too

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Javid posted:

it isn't exactly the same, but when I was using a cnc plasma table, the grid was made of sheet metal, the cut files for which were included with the device's software, so you could replace them yourself so long as you remembered to cut out spares before the old grate gets hosed

Can't you just run the grate cutting program in place with a blank mounted instead of the grate?

I know nothing about CNCing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The grate is there to support the workpiece and keep it level under the torch, so no, if the grate is hosed you can't (easily) cut a new one.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Karate Bastard posted:

Here's Jimmy Diresta explaining what never to do in the shop, cutting curves on the table saw included

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-ra62wAJoQ

I don't think this is a good instructional, "don't do this" video.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Space Kablooey posted:

I mean, regardless, he belongs in the thread

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The grate is there to support the workpiece and keep it level under the torch, so no, if the grate is hosed you can't (easily) cut a new one.

But whatever supports the grate has to keep it level as well, no? So that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm saying: get rid of the old grate, install a blank in its place, and just cut it there.

I have no doubt that I'm missing something. I just don't know what.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Aramis posted:

But whatever supports the grate has to keep it level as well, no? So that shouldn't be an issue.

I'm saying: get rid of the old grate, install a blank in its place, and just cut it there.

I have no doubt that I'm missing something. I just don't know what.

The grate, in my experience, is usually made from strips of steel turned sideways so they're thicker up and down than they are front to back. That way, the machine can cut into the grate a little bit without really worrying about it cutting all the way through the grate

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Aramis posted:

Can't you just run the grate cutting program in place with a blank mounted instead of the grate?

I know nothing about CNCing.

It wasn't a single flat grate, imagine more like a bunch of pieces that slot together into a grid. Like this thing:

For the most part, the plasma torch on it was finicky ANYWAY, and your workpiece would have to be pretty perfectly flat for it to work. The support grid only touches the workpiece at the little high points it has, so only cuts across those exact spots are degrading the actual work surface, and you can lose a lot of them before sheet metal won't sit flat on it anymore. It's also bidirectional so you can flip it completely over if the top side gets too hosed.

We had to replace one, once. It was essentially not a problem as opposed to how many cheap tower PCs we murdered by running them in a metal shop to operate that thing

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Makes sense. Thanks!

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Ironhead posted:

I don't have a problem with what he was doing, or the jig he had set up. I do it all the time to cut circles on my tablesaws. My problem was that he turned it the wrong way, had the blade too high, and was trying to take too big a bite.

If you do it right, it's a great way to make perfect circles for things like wagon wheels, much cleaner than on a band saw in my experience.

I also got four fingers in a tablesaw when I was a kid, so maybe I'm not a good person to listen to. (I did get to be the guy with a missing finger teaching a shop class though, so that was rad).

Edit: that image just doesn't want to show up, it's the one where the guy blinks a bunch and looks at the camera.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Can't you just cut a new grate on top of the old retched grate and swap them out?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

LookieLoo posted:

Can't you just cut a new grate on top of the old retched grate and swap them out?
If it's not too far gone, sure. I think the idea is you cut yourself a spare grate before the old one is completely shot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LookieLoo posted:

There's grates you can get as a kit as part of your consumables. But a lot of newer designs replace the grates with cone like standoffs that reduce the risk of your cutter hitting a standoff during operation

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Space Kablooey posted:

You think?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

its in the post that you quoted that i dont

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My brain hurts thinking about using a CNC cutter to cut your CNC cutter a new CNC cutter grate.

Do you also like to CNC router all your own nuts and bolts? Fully CNC brained and ready to CNC a house.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

My brain hurts thinking about using a CNC cutter to cut your CNC cutter a new CNC cutter grate.

Do you also like to CNC router all your own nuts and bolts? Fully CNC brained and ready to CNC a house.

I mean, you can basically print a 3D printer with a 3D printer, and I've done so before

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, you can basically print a 3D printer with a 3D printer, and I've done so before

You fool, this is how the PLApocalypse begins :negative:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

How do you type with oven mitts on?

The same way you type with boxing gloves on.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Powershift posted:

Punch someone else until they type for you?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Powershift posted:

code:

A> strongbad_email.exe

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Pk7xHBj.mp4

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Fumble posted:

im looking for a small belt sander for hobby use and boy the lower end price points sure look like things i want to put my fingers near.

Micro-Mark has a decent palm sized belt sander. Not cheap though, since you have to buy the sander as well as their universal transformer to power it.

There's nothing else out there for hobby belt sanders, unfortunately, except cheap dangerous Chinese crap.

https://www.micromark.com/Micro-Make-MicroLux-Palm-Size-Belt-Sander

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Like a home-grown deer-scarer

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013
In regards to Waterjet tables:

I was over a fab shop at another job that had a $250k Waterjet table. The grating underneath the material to be cut looked similar to this:

We used garnet with the water to cut through 4" plate steel (maybe thicker? It was a while ago). I'm pretty sure the table fills with water to cover the grating so it doesn't get as damaged. They would still get small cuts, but like in the photo above, you can take out and replace small sections when they get to the point where they aren't stable anymore.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

zedprime posted:

Flat cutting is a fraction of the complexity as machining out nuts and bolts custom. In the case of the cutting grids, being able to fully replace one in a workday with available materials is an ENORMOUS savings over "well poo poo the table's broken, time to check lead times on parts"

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

zedprime posted:

gently caress u zedprime i'll cnc a whole dang house if i want

starting with the stairs, as is the goon custom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-Z7OTAjJ0

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well also they don't make trillions of plasma cutter grid sections a year and sell them in big bins at every hardware store

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Bubblyblubber posted:

Wow that looks dangerous. Like two layers at the base of each step. Remarkable. No idea why drooling in screws in those spots would be safer

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Javid posted:

Flat cutting is a fraction of the complexity as machining out nuts and bolts custom. In the case of the cutting grids, being able to fully replace one in a workday with available materials is an ENORMOUS savings over "well poo poo the table's broken, time to check lead times on parts"

It's this. Those slats are just rectangular strips of maybe 1/16" mild steel slotted sideways into a frame, and the frame the slats sit in is just a strip of maybe 1/8" mild steel with slots cut to hold the slats in place. The jet cuts them every time it passes, but it only cuts them superficially, maybe like 1/4" of their 3" height.

The entirety of the bed is a wear item. you cut a new set of parts when the slats start to get too chewed up, or when you come up on a scheduled maintenance. And before anyone asks, the water is slightly alkaline, which stops the steel from corroding.significantly.

Bubblyblubber posted:

I watched a video a few years back of a couple that built a house using primarily a 5x10 CNC router to cut all of the structural elements from 3/4" sheet goods. I'd be amazed if it cost them less than having a professional build a house of equivalent size with conventional materials.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 4, 2024

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

ILL Machina posted:

Wow that looks dangerous. Like two layers at the base of each step. Remarkable. No idea why drooling in screws in those spots would be safer

The lack of a railing makes that horrifying, but the solid glued chunk of plywood that guy has created isn't going anywhere

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are stairs that have zero material at the bottom, and it’s fine. The bottom doesn’t have to support the weight.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Javid posted:

The lack of a railing makes that horrifying, but the solid glued chunk of plywood that guy has created isn't going anywhere

TBF he mentions he's still not done with the project because it lacks a railing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

The central post is supporting most of the weight. It's not going anywhere.