Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hope Lana is lost forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Hey kat any chance you actually appreciate the gravity and responsibility of what you've done

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Wouldn’t it be interesting if the very first dead ghost of this new race interjected an opinion about what he wants to happen?

Nope, just gonna be a background prop to Annie and Kat going :3 while standing over his literal corpse

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Thank you angel now I can experience death! :iia:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair to the robots they don’t really understand agency in any capacity. Their entire existence has been servicing humans and following orders. Robot is probably the only one that has an agenda and we’ve already established he’s weird and unique even among the Seraphs, he had a funny chip and all.

In fact we’ve already established time shenanigans so it wouldn’t surprise me if robots chip is part of a paradox.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Robots are fundamentally slaves. Meat slaves if they are lucky.

Idk about this one Gunnerkrigg

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

loving hell, Baldy has the same uncanny valley eyes in that last panel as That One Lana Pic.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

To be fair to the robots they don’t really understand agency in any capacity. Their entire existence has been servicing humans and following orders. Robot is probably the only one that has an agenda and we’ve already established he’s weird and unique even among the Seraphs, he had a funny chip and all.

In fact we’ve already established time shenanigans so it wouldn’t surprise me if robots chip is part of a paradox.

That's fine, but like, why do all the robots have to be so boring now when they were so quirky and fun when they were, you know, robots?

I'm really, really done with the "WE LOVE YOU ANGEL KAT" hivemind thing. It's not cute, it's just creepy and grating. ESPECIALLY now that they're supposed to be humans.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

This all feels so weird. Even the humans aren't acting like humans.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
this reminds me of that part of Frankenstein where the guy realizes he’s created a new form of life and goes “aw shucks”

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
"You truly created something more than the sum of its parts!"

Annie, dear, Kat created sentient life, souls and all

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Well, the sentience was already there, she just made life and souls. And still can't figure out why people might think that she is an actual Captial-G God.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just going to take Mr "The first dead creation of what he believes to be an inscrutable but infallible god being of great mythic power and importance who intended and planned all of this and that is good" and shoot him right into the ether's veins, no biggy.

That's not a complaint. I will be super mad if this wet farts into Kat trivially talking away his fanaticism though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 3, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

just take the soul and jam it in a new robot body, what's the problem

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

just take the soul and jam it in a new robot body, what's the problem

Or a golem body. Possibly several years in the past. The robots/new people are a stable time loop, and instead of sending their souls into the ether, Kat starts zapping them to the past so Diego can infuse them into his golems. That's lame as hell, so it has a greater than 60% chance of being what happens.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I'm still not sure how we ended up here. This started off with Loup attacking Coyote, which caused Zimmy to pull an Akira and now everyone's in a distortion, seemingly setting the stage for a final confrontation -- except Kat tells Annie to "get home and let [everyone] know what's going on", so Annie and the meat slaves set off to... leave, I guess, except they're stopped by easily dispatched monsters and teleported to a desert where Annie kicks a gopher and exchanges planar technobabble with Kat. This enables Annie to transport everyone to a forest where nothing happens, the group finds the bridge and there's speculation one of them might be Zimmy, more exposition over a walkie-talkie, Robot appears, Annie freaks out, more setting changes, young Agent 47 is killed by a ghost, and now this extended digression about psychopomps and souls and the ether and nothing follows anything logically.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Splicer posted:

That's not a complaint. I will be super mad if this wet farts into Kat trivially talking away his fanaticism though.

I find Kat's unchanging "aww buddy" attitude just as annoying as this possibility. Every time she's presented with the gravity of what she's doing she just goes "lol that's weird" and keeps right on trucking along with no introspection or emotional development at all. It was funny at first when the robots worshipped her and she didn't know how to respond, but now that things have progressed much further and she essentially HASN'T, it's tedious.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah I’ll be honest Kat used to be a favorite character of mine in this comic and now she’s just tiresome. Every time she appears it’s the same ideas over and over, and it never has lasting consequences or further developments.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
"Kat, you literally created souls! You made these people into etherically valid entities! Now they're dying! If you don't find a solution, their dead souls will languish in the torment of the void and lose all context and siphon from the world its very motive essence! You have become their God on the etheric plane, truly and actually a living diety!"

"Haha that's neat. Anyway, what I wanna know is where's Lana??? I haven't seen her in a while and I'm really worried about my best friend, Lana!"

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah I’ll be honest Kat used to be a favorite character of mine in this comic and now she’s just tiresome. Every time she appears it’s the same ideas over and over, and it never has lasting consequences or further developments.

It feels like the same joke and over and over with her. Like, "Is this the moment when Kat realizes the awesome power she wields? Nope, she's just gonna laugh it off and continue acting normal", every single time. She's just over in her own little corner of reality where it's a tepid gag-a-day newspaper strip about someone not realizing they're a god.

It makes everything involving the ether seem stupid and meaningless. Like oh yeah no big deal, I'll figure soul transmigration for these new people I made later, whatever. I hope there isn't a bunch of paperwork!!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

There was that one time that Paz was upset with her for being a workaholic and Kat was mad at her for like a second, and it seemed like it was foreshadowing some kind of bigger reckoning Kat was barreling towards. But then nothing was done about it and everyone continued enabling her, and there were no consequences besides Paz breaking up with her, which was mostly because she was moving anyway, and Kat wasn't really affected aside from being a bit visibly sad for like one page.

There is no firework factory. There is only a burning fuse with no end going in a circle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

feetnotes posted:

When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory

Lana is the fireworks factory.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
I swear to god if the robot afterlife ends up being eternal work in Kat's extradimensional cracker factory

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Begemot posted:

It feels like the same joke and over and over with her. Like, "Is this the moment when Kat realizes the awesome power she wields? Nope, she's just gonna laugh it off and continue acting normal", every single time. She's just over in her own little corner of reality where it's a tepid gag-a-day newspaper strip about someone not realizing they're a god.

It makes everything involving the ether seem stupid and meaningless. Like oh yeah no big deal, I'll figure soul transmigration for these new people I made later, whatever. I hope there isn't a bunch of paperwork!!

I had some hope when Kat's Omega-form was the one to show up, but of course that had to be instantaneously deflated and returned to "aw shucks, I don't know why they keep calling me Angel".

And yeah, what happened to the distortion? What happened to Loup and Coyote and Jerrek? It's like we skipped multiple critical transitions and left dozens of characters behind so Baldy McNameless could die and be a plot trigger.

It's like, the grander the plot and greater the stakes are supposed to be, the fewer and flatter the character themselves become, when it was the characters and not the plot progression that really made the early and mid comic shine.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Darth TNT posted:

Thank you angel now I can experience death! :iia:

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

reading this comic is so very frustrating lmao

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And I will keep pointing out that Kat disrespected the wishes of the old robots that wanted to experience death by reusing their bodies to help retrieve the chips of the robots when they were hijacked to make the force field. And she faced no pushback or repercussions for that. Where is THEIR gift of death? Why do these robots get granted this and the others just get forgotten?

Also the Seraph robots. Robot said they were to be denied bodies. Why is that Robot's decision? How can they (not assuming gender for Robot as they've been depicted as possibly female) enforce that, and what does Kat think about that? None of this has ever been touched on again, and Robot is just absent now.

It honestly appears she doesn't GAF about any of the repercussions, and the comic is validating her by never giving any consequences and always making her right. She had that chip explode in her neck, and in the end... she just got it working and everyone's fine with it now! WHY?

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 4, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, at this point my reaction is kind of "the fact that you are now finally spending ten minutes thinking about this really accentuates the fact that you should have been thinking about it for literal months" and I'm not sure if that's how I'm supposed to react.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Where is THEIR gift of death?

Their reward was to no longer feature in the comic and that deal was too good to pass up

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

She had that chip explode in her neck, and in the end... she just got it working and everyone's fine with it now! WHY?

Tom has the chance to do something hilarious and say that everything that's happened since the chip explosion has been a fever dream Kat's had from being in a coma after the chip blew up her spine.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

Azran posted:

Their reward was to no longer feature in the comic and that deal was too good to pass up

:lmao:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And I will keep pointing out that Kat disrespected the wishes of the old robots that wanted to experience death by reusing their bodies to help retrieve the chips of the robots when they were hijacked to make the force field. And she faced no pushback or repercussions for that. Where is THEIR gift of death? Why do these robots get granted this and the others just get forgotten?

Also the Seraph robots. Robot said they were to be denied bodies. Why is that Robot's decision? How can they (not assuming gender for Robot as they've been depicted as possibly female) enforce that, and what does Kat think about that? None of this has ever been touched on again, and Robot is just absent now.

It honestly appears she doesn't GAF about any of the repercussions, and the comic is validating her by never giving any consequences and always making her right. She had that chip explode in her neck, and in the end... she just got it working and everyone's fine with it now! WHY?

At this point, actually, why is Kat doing this? Why is she taking it upon herself to do this for all the robots? It was curiosity and friendship with Robot. It was compassion and gaining an advantage with the shadow men robot Arthur. I guess it was... rescuing the robots? What is her actual motivation, her thoughts, on ANy of this? I'm just realizing I know nothing about how Kat feels about her actions or what her motivations are at all beyond "Paz thinks I was too much into my work but she was wrong! Anyway she left and I'm over it."

And that we had an entire chapter about reviving ONE of the original robots and then she offscreen revives the rest and they're just like "Ah, yes, Angel, we are here to obey" but it's ok you guys I didn't revive that one that asked to be dead!

Remember when Annie nearly got someone killed fighting Jeanne and she got called out on it and it was mostly fair and then the comic went "Actually that's all bullshit you did nothing wrong" and then she DID this time get someone killed by Jeanne and no one even cares anymore

what is going on

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 5, 2024

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, at this point my reaction is kind of "the fact that you are now finally spending ten minutes thinking about this really accentuates the fact that you should have been thinking about it for literal months" and I'm not sure if that's how I'm supposed to react.

She's not even spending ten minutes thinking about it though, her answer was literally "Whatever, we'll just deal with it next time!" lmao

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

She's not even spending ten minutes thinking about it though, her answer was literally "Whatever, we'll just deal with it next time!" lmao

"All of these souls you have created and their well-being is utterly yours to decide. If you gently caress it up, they will suffer in ways you cannot imagine."

"That's fine, I'm a main character, I can't gently caress stuff up. We've never had an arc about how thinking you're a main character can lead to horrible consequences."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
still funny that we went through this diversion right before annie's flashback montage adventure would have taken her to the part of the story where tony showed up

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Not to mention that she must have a loving human factory to be cranking out all those bodies. Where is she getting the resources to do that? Is the court, who supposedly is preparing to leave the planet behind, bankrolling her? Do they support her? Oppose her? Care at all?

CodfishCartographer posted:

And the God managing this is like, "Ok, sure." What? WHY?

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

Oxxidation posted:

still funny that we went through this diversion right before annie's flashback montage adventure would have taken her to the part of the story where tony showed up

don't worry, as soon as the arbiter goes away we can return to our regularly scheduled mind cage

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Given Annie was the cause of this guy’s death, you’d think she might be more torn about ditching her responsibility

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

In any other comic, all of that stuff would be set up for some kind of fall for Kat. Which could be something that would allow for some conflict to organically develop between her and Annie. This could then be resolved in some way that says something about their friendship or the robots or the nature of gods or anything really.

Oh well.