Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://twitter.com/egghamm_/status/1740109037151440953?s=20

Made me laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The people I SWF with cleanse against Plague CONSTANTLY and we keep getting annihilated. I try to explain it to them every loving game but they refuse to listen.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

rydiafan posted:

The people I SWF with cleanse against Plague CONSTANTLY and we keep getting annihilated. I try to explain it to them every loving game but they refuse to listen.

In theory, the counterplay against Plague is well known and super simple and should not be a problem for any decent pub to understand, even if not the easiest to actually pull off.

In reality, gently caress you if you think I'm playing this match broken *glug glug*. Vommy Mommy's your problem now, imma gonna go chill in a locker until until she's done using last night's beef stew like a mortar.

And there were no survivors.

Like, 80-90% of my Plague matches were like this. It's staggering how often I could close out the last 5+ minutes of the match chain-drinking the ooze to keep history's nastiest super soaker topped off while having recently vomited spots telling me exactly where to go by seeing who gets infected.

E: That said, good rule of thumb- abstain if your team abstains, chug if your team chugs. You got at least one thirsty lad or lass on your team, Plague's gonna get all the Kool aid she wants, might as well keep yourself from being an insta-down unless you really don't wanna test to see how good her infect-dar is.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 28, 2023

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

help i can't stop playing as tiffany

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I keep ping ponging between "Chucky can simply do way too many things well, he's one of the most complicated killers to know how to counter play all aspects of his kit" and "Chucky really illustrates how boring the other killers are".

As a killer main I feel like the latter sentiment is the obviously correct one. But I'm also playing survivor now with my other half who has little to no video game experience and they are really really really struggling whenever Chucky comes up because he just does so many things: stealth, rush, pallet hoping, and he's also just hard to keep track of in chase.

Compared to something like trapper he's so complex.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Relyssa posted:

help i can't stop playing as tiffany

It's a loving blast isn't it? Jennifer Tilly just makes it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

It's a loving blast isn't it? Jennifer Tilly just makes it.

She really does. Her making fun of the survivors for screaming too much will never get old.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I don't own Tiffany but I get so excited when I realize I'm going against her. "I hear the terror radius, it's Chuc- omg Tiff hiiiii :kimchi:"

She's just SO cute and so tiny. Both of them are. I'm still regularly struck by how tiny Chucky is. awwww look at the little doll with a knife chasing my teammate :kimchi:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Tiny Myers posted:

I don't own Tiffany but I get so excited when I realize I'm going against her. "I hear the terror radius, it's Chuc- omg Tiff hiiiii :kimchi:"

She's just SO cute and so tiny. Both of them are. I'm still regularly struck by how tiny Chucky is. awwww look at the little doll with a knife chasing my teammate :kimchi:

Building on this, had a farming match with a Tiffany who was just adorable and had a Bill who seemed to not 100% get it or at the very least wasn't willing to fork over his hook (she was 2-hooking everyone and he was the last one missing). Instead, he pallet slammed her and ran to the exit gate while all of us ran after him collectively throwing snowballs like we were booing and throwing tomatoes.

I am going to be so sad when the snowballs are removed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I really want a basement bubba build but instead of attacking I just pelt them with snowballs, but alas the facecamping mechanic

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

FYI, you can collect/throw snowballs as Wraith while cloaked. You can also jump inside a snowman, which makes it easy to tell which snowmen are jumpscares.

Because if the prompt to hop inside is missing, it's a jumpscare, but it won't trigger until you uncloak.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm gonna consolidate some thoughts I've had over the past few months vis a vis: Wraith's relative place on the tier list without getting too into specific placements because god i find "is deathslinger or demogorgon better?" boring.

• Wraith was in a pretty rough spot at the time I started playing, which was some weeks before the release of Mikaela Reid (who's my main survivor now) but he wasn't too bad off. The strong poo poo on survivor was really hard on him: this was "DH gives you an iframe dash, DS is a 5 second stun, kicking is pointless without perks so 4BNPs could finish the equivalent of an entire gen just INSTANTLY." meta. Old Haddonfield was still in the game, Old RPD was there, etc. He was decent, but communication and half decent looping completely wrecked his rear end. He also had lightburn and old medkits, which were a free reset up to 3 times a game. People generally placed him on the low end of mid, saying he was really good against new players, and practically useless against MMR cap.
  • And then Mikaela came out and Boons entered the conversation. Wraith instantly dropped to near the bottom of the tier list because hit and run was dead in the water and committing to a chase was the only way to get downs. Even through the speed nerfs, it was such a huge deal it was a problem for nearly a year. Somewhere in here they reworked hemorrhage and made Sloppy a good anti-heal for M1 killers, but Circle of Healing could still delete that pretty handily.
  • The rework that kills a lot of the worst bullshit survivors had comes around and Wraith gets the same bump that nearly everyone below him also got, so he doesn't move that much despite getting stronger.
  • Boons leave the picture, Gen Kick meta becomes a thing and Wraith is a loving MENACE very briefly, since he used genkick perks really really well (still does!) but he was still susceptible to flashlights, and other, stronger killers also used genkick so he didn't move that much. Lightburn is removed and Wraith briefly enjoys the spot he currently has on the tierlist: A relatively mobile killer with on-demand stealth and a variety of really good addons that competent players can use to get some really nasty hits in. However, boons die at the same time, so every killer feels a relative bump in pressure, so nobody really notices.
  • Singularity and MFT come out. Wraith and all other M1 killers are hosed RIGHT over by hit and run actually feeding in to survivor playstyles, that 3% and extra hit were rough to deal with for a killer without a chase power.
  • MFT is nerfed. We're on present day. The narrative I've seen lately is that Wraith is actually really strong, deceptively so! Except Wraith has not gotten a change since lightburn removal (which wasn't a SUPER big deal. welcome yes, but not "moves tiers") and before that his last change was a nerf at the same time I started!

Wraith went from "bottom of the barrel low C-tier at best newbie killer with a reputation for not knowing how the game is played" to "actually i think he's really good, better than average!" despite receiving no changes. And it's entirely due to the game around him changing to be more fair to "bad" killers in general. Wraith, the whole time I was playing, was suffering from M1 killer nonsense. Hit deletion and second chances, infinity running, the most infamously bad map in the game. And now he's a menace. Hes been a menace in my opinion for a while for everyone that knows their "M1damentals" but M1 killers aren't being thtrown out of a second story window every chase anymore so he's now the best at it because he moves fast and doesn't announce his presence.

(Meta talk over! Here's a fun build)
All this is to say: Wraith used to feel like fighting uphill for kills. I ran 3 slowdown on him just to keep up sometimes. And now I think passive slowdown is more than enough, and only one of them! He feels so much better to play and I encourage you all to try out the single most "fair" build I can create to follow the survivor rulebook:

This build DOES change for circumstance but here's my reasoning:
Sloppy Butcher is swapped for Surge if there are toolboxes instead of medkits. They're currently on the same page so it's an easy tweak. Both are decent slowdowns that I use as a way to counter survivors without completely deleting their ability to use their stuff. (survivor rule: my item must be useful)
Friends Till The End is really good and really powerful and, crucially, discourages tunneling. You have to bounce hooks to get any use out of the thing, so tunneling actively makes your build worse. (survivor rule: no consecutive hooks)
Lethal pursuer: Extends the Friends aura read (and on big maps this is really nice) to eat 2 distortion tokens instead of one (as wraith this is nice because they probably won't get them back on single story maps). The real use is getting that initial chase ASAP because while I don't want that much slowdown I am not completely crazy and recognize that getting a fast first chase is essential for pressure. (survivor rule: no invisible or uncounterable perks)
Thrilling Tremors: I have recently become super into this perk and I think it compliments this build better than a standard info perk. This perk is not countered by Off the Record or Distortion, and can therefore give you info on which gens are important to defend multiple times a game. It tells you who is progressing their objective and does not tell you poo poo about hooks or healing, letting you more efficiently path to the most important part of the map. (survivor rules: obvious perk, no returning to hooks)
The addons are faster movement while cloaked, fast uncloak. You might be able to swap the fast uncloak for something else, but the movement speed is key to make the most out of Friends and the Thrilling info, and has the added bonus of the usual reasons to take it for Wraith's quasi-antiloop of bodyblocking the path to strong parts of the map. I had success with the aura reading one as well as the bell obfuscation.
I have gotten less than a 2k ONE time.

In short: Wraith is good, he can spread hooks well, DbD balance has been loving rough and is getting better, and Wraith is a good barometer of that. If I feel like my games get too easy I'll let you know.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Hey, does Jane's voice sound odd when slow vaulting? Sounds really low pitched

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Double post but I got every bone chill challenge done except the very final snowball fight one. Nothing but friendly killer games for the survivors I come across tomorrow!

It'll make me feel better about the obsession challenge.

Wait, actually, what time does the event end tomorrow?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
What do you all reckon is the best "all arounder" survivor build. Not best for taking chase. Not best for doing gens. Not best for unhooking. But best for just helping wherever is needed and getting the most value out of all the perks?

I'm thinking something like Prove Thyself, kindred, Overcome (or Lithe or adrenaline), and we'll make it.

Edit: Nevermind after Otz "You should definitely tunnel if you want to win, but please don't tunnel" video, now everyone just seems to be tunnelling nonstop tonight so I guess anti tunnelling is back on the menu.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 3, 2024

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Kwolok posted:

What do you all reckon is the best "all arounder" survivor build. Not best for taking chase. Not best for doing gens. Not best for unhooking. But best for just helping wherever is needed and getting the most value out of all the perks?

I'm thinking something like Prove Thyself, kindred, Overcome (or Lithe or adrenaline), and we'll make it.

Edit: Nevermind after Otz "You should definitely tunnel if you want to win, but please don't tunnel" video, now everyone just seems to be tunnelling nonstop tonight so I guess anti tunnelling is back on the menu.

I like that build but I'd swap out Overcome for Dramaturgy. Nothing says all rounder like free haste all the time + free items all the time.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Wait, actually, what time does the event end tomorrow?

I think rollover is at 7 or 8 AM PST?

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 3, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Honestly you can't go wrong with Deja Vu, Distortion, Resilience and exhaustion perk of your choice (I generally prefer Lithe). Gives you aura hiding, a speed boost on fixing gens that are in a 3 gen, a speed boost for vaulting and repairing when your'e injured, and a chase perk.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

Honestly you can't go wrong with Deja Vu, Distortion, Resilience and exhaustion perk of your choice (I generally prefer Lithe). Gives you aura hiding, a speed boost on fixing gens that are in a 3 gen, a speed boost for vaulting and repairing when your'e injured, and a chase perk.

Distortion has been a staple of mine pretty much entirely since it came out. A lot of folks forget that it tells you what the killer is not running and that's almost as valuable as blocking the aura read in the first place.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Distortion has been a staple of mine pretty much entirely since it came out. A lot of folks forget that it tells you what the killer is not running and that's almost as valuable as blocking the aura read in the first place.

Yup especially in a SWF with voice chat.

"Alright guys, no Lethal Pursuer"

"Okay he kicked a gen and distortion didn't trigger, no Nowhere to Hide"

"Distortion triggered as soon as he hooked/we unhooked, he's got BBQ/Floods of Rage"

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

Yup especially in a SWF with voice chat.

"Alright guys, no Lethal Pursuer"

"Okay he kicked a gen and distortion didn't trigger, no Nowhere to Hide"

"Distortion triggered as soon as he hooked/we unhooked, he's got BBQ/Floods of Rage"

You can tell when people have never played in a SWF. They have this idealized version of how it plays out...

In fact, it turns out that information doesn't help you win. The devs said it, so it must be true. :colbert:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
My favorite part of the Otz tunneling video is people reacting in disbelief that killers would check profile hours.

I've bounced around a few competitive gaming scenes as an amateur and spectator. Having an entire minute+ to click and open four steam profiles for simple data is childs play compared to what a fighting game or strategy game community will do for data, lol.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BrewingTea posted:

You can tell when people have never played in a SWF. They have this idealized version of how it plays out...

In fact, it turns out that information doesn't help you win. The devs said it, so it must be true. :colbert:

To be fair, the SWF I play with loses the vast majority of the time, but it's largely because we just gently caress around and use dumb builds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Medullah posted:

To be fair, the SWF I play with loses the vast majority of the time, but it's largely because we just gently caress around and use dumb builds.

That's playing the (party) game correctly.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tiny Myers posted:

I like that build but I'd swap out Overcome for Dramaturgy. Nothing says all rounder like free haste all the time + free items all the time.

Dramaturgy owns and I love trolling my team by generating green keys with only +range and +duration addons and handing them out.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BrewingTea posted:

:hai:

Just like with hockey, the game DBD most closely resembles.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That reminds me of watching Otz play with a SWF, he goes "Okay it's Trapper and he's loving around by shack" and then acted completely oblivious as to how much that one sentence blows up Trapper's entire game

BrewingTea
Jun 2, 2004

Medullah posted:

To be fair, I've never actually played in a SWF, so if anyone is guilty of talking out of their rear end, it may be me

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

BrewingTea posted:

drat, I wonder why it is in the game then?

DeathChicken posted:

That reminds me of watching Otz play with a SWF, he goes "Okay it's Trapper and he's loving around by shack" and then acted completely oblivious as to how much that one sentence blows up Trapper's entire game

Ooooh, can I have the clip/video?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1742652054710165551?s=20

Ooooooh lootboxes! Just what was missing from DBD!

Edit - Dveet is a data miner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bold strategy to institute loot boxes just as China is cracking down on them.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Medullah posted:

https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1742652054710165551?s=20

Ooooooh lootboxes! Just what was missing from DBD!

Edit - Dveet is a data miner.

Ughhh seriously? I wonder if they'll put Legacy in them as the super ultra rare .00001% item to really snare the whales.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

No one other than streamers is sitting around with tons of auric cells in their inventory, so idk who this is really aimed at, i can't imagine the same community that's been buying the things they want to buy for like 8 yrs is going to be excited to gamba for it now

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I'd be cool with loot boxes full of items/addons in the different bloodwebs to find. Hell make them come from secondary objectives/spawn in maps for free gen pressure/relief depending on which side you're on

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Important to note that Dvveet is also the guy who said Bubba was leaving last year. And that his "source" said "mystery boxes" and that he himself changed the wording to something more "familiar"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

curiousTerminal posted:

Important to note that Dvveet is also the guy who said Bubba was leaving last year. And that his "source" said "mystery boxes" and that he himself changed the wording to something more "familiar"

Yeah, I don't fault him for the Bubba stuff. I am 99% sure that was a honey pot to see who was leaking at BHVR. If you think about it, there haven't been any MAJOR leeks since then

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

curiousTerminal posted:

https://twitter.com/dvveet/status/1742732654099747171?t=4Pn1M5EqRwHGr761AeBq4g&s=19

"I didn't realise the negative connotations (calling them lootboxes) could have"

Lol. Lmao.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

i know english as a second language can make it hard to understand nuance or cultural stuff, but what gamer doesn't immediately think negatively when they hear "loot box" in any language.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

i know english as a second language can make it hard to understand nuance or cultural stuff, but what gamer doesn't immediately think negatively when they hear "loot box" in any language.

ones with more money than sense

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I miss snowballs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Survivors could instantly turn a 4K match into an everyone escapes match by throwing a snowball at my Snowman Dredge.