Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

All my friends are for inexplicable reasons getting into Magic and they're eating all the dumb collaborations up. That marketing works.

Modern data searching for games is annoying now. Either you have to join a discord to ask people directly and if you're lucky they've pinned a bunch of poo poo for you to read, or you get the top google search which is a shittily maintained Fandom wiki.

Anyway I've been lurking the Symbiogenesis discord waiting for anything interesting to happen but it looks like nothing is going to. The meta game is an information brokering exercise as people sell what little knowledge they have to each other for crypto or in-game items, which are sometimes NFTs. It's not really a game and SE isn't even trying to pretend that it is.

quote:

SYMBIOGENESIS is a completely new NFT entertainment that combines '10,000 NFT collectible art' with 'game utility,' making it a one-of-a-kind in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SettingSun posted:

Anyway I've been lurking the Symbiogenesis discord waiting for anything interesting to happen

I'd like to personally thank you and everyone else ITT who's hanging out in these awful places to report back for our amusement. It's a dirty job and I'm glad I don't have to do it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but the problem is actively accelerating and it's really apparent if you do things that involve looking for both recent and old info. If you're into hobby poo poo this is really, really apparent because good answers to basic problems often point to really ancient websites.

A goony example is video game poo poo. If I'm trying to find where the secret key is in level 5 of some game from 1998 chances are extremely good that there's an ancient GameFaqs walkthrough that has it, or some 25 year old post on one of their forums discussing it. That poo poo's still out there.

Meanwhile if I'm searching for the same thing in this month's hottest new AAA title? You've got all the problems people are discussing here: first four results are going to be SEO optimized AI gibberish, the next three will be links to youtube videos that take 30 minutes to explain something that could be done in less words than this post has, and then will be discord links for both the unofficial/fan and official communities.

If the game is two years old? Same problem as above but even money the discords are dead.
Sounds like we need a video game library project. I'll start the Discord.

There's a tinge of nostalgia here because using GameFAQs in 2003 wasn't exactly not this experience. If Google even had a result yet, it was probably to a Geocities guide, official Web forum, unofficial Web forum. You would check GameFAQs fairly directly, a guide might not be ready yet, and the forums tended toward piranhas looking to establish cred by telling people off about simple questions. People turned to social circles like IRC or other Web forums with some (including Something Awful) gaining mystique for being helpful social places. But like I dare you to find useful walkthroughs to Mass Effect in 2000s SA archives. It's just not indexed that way.

Either way it's kind of unfair to compare 20 year old well indexed historic video game sources to SEO betta fish fights. If your 2 year old triple A has lost its web presence maybe it's not as interesting as a game as you think.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zedprime posted:

Either way it's kind of unfair to compare 20 year old well indexed historic video game sources to SEO betta fish fights. If your 2 year old triple A has lost its web presence maybe it's not as interesting as a game as you think.

Point being that the way people present that info has changed, and the new formats suck for searchability. The info on the two year old game is quite likely to be stuck in a mix of old/defunct discords, bloated Youtube videos, and a handful of SEO optimized dead wikis full of stubs. There may very well be a real fan wiki out there that you'll end up bookmarking, but it will never crop up above the trash Fextralife one that's dominated the SEO.

It's funny you mention SA, it used to be fairly easy to search via the various search engines, but I think Lowtax pulled the plug on that ca. 2018 or so. Might be wrong on the details, but it used to be much more well indexed and it was a change on our end.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SettingSun posted:

All my friends are for inexplicable reasons getting into Magic and they're eating all the dumb collaborations up. That marketing works.

Modern data searching for games is annoying now. Either you have to join a discord to ask people directly and if you're lucky they've pinned a bunch of poo poo for you to read, or you get the top google search which is a shittily maintained Fandom wiki.

Anyway I've been lurking the Symbiogenesis discord waiting for anything interesting to happen but it looks like nothing is going to. The meta game is an information brokering exercise as people sell what little knowledge they have to each other for crypto or in-game items, which are sometimes NFTs. It's not really a game and SE isn't even trying to pretend that it is.

quote:

SYMBIOGENESIS is a completely new NFT entertainment that combines '10,000 NFT collectible art' with 'game utility,' making it a one-of-a-kind in the world.

Jesus. That description is fuckin dire. If they don't give a poo poo enough to proofread the marketing copy or hire someone to translate it, what does that say about the actual product?

e: added the quote for context

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Time_pants posted:

Jesus. That description is fuckin dire. If they don't give a poo poo enough to proofread the marketing copy or hire someone to translate it, what does that say about the actual product?

e: added the quote for context

I assume the game doesn't have a market outside the Japanese NFT diehards. So they don't really give a poo poo if it reads well or appeals at all to westerners.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Just like NFTs themselves, "NFT entertainment" has a value of 0.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

cruft posted:

Yeah, kinda.

Like, we have boxes of photos in the basement that we need to go through one day. The really old photos, like, from the 1800s, people were thinking "what are my great-grandchildren going to want to know when they see this". So they wrote on the back, like, "uncle Ron and our family's cow at the farm on 21st street, 1908". That's awesome.

My parents generation took dozens of photos and just threw them in a box to be used later. Some of them went into photo albums. A lot of them are people we've never seen before. Are these photos important? Who decides to throw them away, and when? We decided we'd be the ones to do that.

And now we have like, thousands? tens of thousands? of digital photos with at least the time/date and geo location in the metadata. But will anybody be able to decode a JPEG in the year 2123? And, say they can, are they going to want to wade through 2000 photos of salads to find a picture of some man standing next to a cactus, with no context about why we thought it was important enough to photograph?

So, with our photos too, we've decided to institute an artificial expiration, to get us off our asses and make actual decisions about what's important to record and what can go away. We'll probably print them out and put them in a book that you can pick up and open and only need your eyes and brain to decode. It's going to be a pain in the rear end, but maybe my grand-children will appreciate it. Or maybe the won't, I don't know. But at least they won't have to sift through all these salad photos.

Imagine we had photographic evidence of ancient Rome or maybe a brief note on the back of a photo talking about what those cave paintings mean.

What I'm saying is that future birdperson archeologists would love for you to archive hard copies. I sometimes feel a little guilty for volunteering to inherit the giant box of photos my gramps hoarded.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

What I'm saying is that future birdperson archeologists would love for you to archive hard copies. I sometimes feel a little guilty for volunteering to inherit the giant box of photos my gramps hoarded.

Yeah, but also there's the immediate consideration of how much crap we want to commit our child to preserving for birdmen who may or may not want any of it.

We're trying to make good decisions about what to keep and what to discard. We can't keep everything.

Anyway if we did keep everything, we'd be depriving birdman archaeologists the excitement of finding landfills. Like how that guy I was talking to was so pumped when a freeway project dug up an old outhouse.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile if I'm searching for the same thing in this month's hottest new AAA title? You've got all the problems people are discussing here: first four results are going to be SEO optimized AI gibberish, the next three will be links to youtube videos that take 30 minutes to explain something that could be done in less words than this post has, and then will be discord links for both the unofficial/fan and official communities.

It isn't just videogame stuff, like try looking for good info on DIY stuff or perhaps what the side effects of some medication is or whatever.

For instance, Wikipedia is, unironically, usually a pretty honest and well-sourced place to look up at least the basics before diving into specifics. But thanks to SEO trash, it's usually the fifth or seventh or whatevereth result I get for any given thing, when it used to be the top result because it was the best result. Hell, if I google the name of a nearby business, I get ten other businesses that paid to be first in the search results and sell similar products before I get their loving website.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cruft posted:

Yeah, but also there's the immediate consideration of how much crap we want to commit our child to preserving for birdmen who may or may not want any of it.

We're trying to make good decisions about what to keep and what to discard. We can't keep everything.

Anyway if we did keep everything, we'd be depriving birdman archaeologists the excitement of finding landfills. Like how that guy I was talking to was so pumped when a freeway project dug up an old outhouse.
I plan to live my little life to maximize future confusion for the apes, bears and beetles

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've also been following that plan.

*In Beetleman archeologist clicks* "All the evidence suggests this Deptfordx constantly acted against all his best interests, never took advantage of opportunities and essentially wasted his life! What are we missing?!?"

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

I've also been following that plan.

*In Beetleman archeologist clicks* "All the evidence suggests this Deptfordx constantly acted against all his best interests, never took advantage of opportunities and essentially wasted his life! What are we missing?!?"

This must have been some puckish Quetzalcoatl like creature to live with such impunity

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
My plan is to have Doom running on as many things as possible, that way when the alien archeologists find it they will be, "Humans were sick!", and then Jurassic Park us back to life.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
it'll just be dozens of clones of john romero, but you know what? i'm okay with this

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Foo Diddley posted:

it'll just be dozens of clones of john romero, but you know what? i'm okay with this

Without Carmack, Romero is just an "ideas guy". Without Romero, Carmack is a brilliant programmer whose games are a little soulless.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I have several friends who are "owners" of the Green Bay Packers. The team issues shares and people can buy them and get a certificate.

These shares do not grant you any control of the team. They do not allow you to make any decisions about the management of the team or the facilities. You still have to pay full price for all merchandise and tickets.

Then it hit me. Green Bay Packers shares are the original NFTs.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

exmachina posted:

Without Carmack, Romero is just an "ideas guy". Without Romero, Carmack is a brilliant programmer whose games are a little soulless.

I have bad news for you about Carmack. He's now a chud.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Master Twig posted:

I have several friends who are "owners" of the Green Bay Packers. The team issues shares and people can buy them and get a certificate.

These shares do not grant you any control of the team. They do not allow you to make any decisions about the management of the team or the facilities. You still have to pay full price for all merchandise and tickets.

Then it hit me. Green Bay Packers shares are the original NFTs.

Nah, they still have actual value, and they keep the team in Green Bay. NFTs do nothing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

graventy posted:

Nah, they still have actual value, and they keep the team in Green Bay. NFTs do nothing.

Yeah, a private owner would have moved them to a bigger market decades ago.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
There was a joke in Danny Phantom about how the only three things a billionaire villain can't buy are the Danny's respect, Danny's mom's love, and the Green Bay Packers.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Green Bay's city owned system seems the most reasonable team ownership system.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Anyone who's complaining about things being moved to Discord clearly never tried to do anything with any open source thing in the IRC era, where you'd search the page for the project, find it was two versions out of date, join the IRC channel, get told to check the project page, then get told off and told to wade hip-deep through the IRC log text file that user @DementedLyfestile uploads to their webhosting every night.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Any project I've worked on that was done through discord usually kept all the actual files in a git or google drive.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Lammasu posted:

Green Bay's city owned system seems the most reasonable team ownership system.

Yeah, the NFL realized they hosed up by allowing it to happen and changed ownership rules. Green Bay is grandfathered in but they won't let it happen again

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers#Community_ownership

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Neito posted:

Anyone who's complaining about things being moved to Discord clearly never tried to do anything with any open source thing in the IRC era, where you'd search the page for the project, find it was two versions out of date, join the IRC channel, get told to check the project page, then get told off and told to wade hip-deep through the IRC log text file that user @DementedLyfestile uploads to their webhosting every night.

It was the worst, I'll agree. Every once in a blue moon you'd try it and the IRC people would actually be helpful. But mostly it was in-group fandom shitposting with very little tolerance for outsiders. FAQ-o-matic was an attempt to address this situation, then Wikis came along, and then Raph started freenode with the original goal of not being assholes to newbies. I think Ubuntu found the best model when they hired a community manager who basically was an ombudsman for end users. But I'm not sure things have actually improved when everything moved into Discord, all it did was put a technical wall around the same perimeter as the social one already in place.

If I'm being honest here, the Something Awful forms have consistently been the best online resource I've found for technical support. They're not great, but they're better than anything else.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

Any project I've worked on that was done through discord usually kept all the actual files in a git or google drive.

I wrote this browser-based morse code version of IRC, and some dude came by and was like "can I set up a Discord for this" and I was like, sure, why not.

So now people get on Discord and ask me questions, and I don't see them for months, because I have better things to do, and Discord's "send an email when somebody @s me" feature is horribly broken, possibly on purpose.

I wish people would just send email.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

graventy posted:

Nah, they still have actual value

lol ok, go try and collect on them

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol ok, go try and collect on them

I think graventy meant value in the sense that I value your posts, Impossibly Perfect Sphere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

graventy posted:

the shares are basically a donation receipt. what has value is the cash you parted with for them. they have no value in themselves, except to advertise you parted with cash for them.

the difference is in what you parted with the cash for, in that you parted with it to keep the team solvent and in green bay instead of out of a theory you would get rich by dumping it on a greater fool

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they have carbon cost thats several orders of magnitude lower than coinz and arent linked to crime or CSAM.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

the shares are basically a donation receipt. what has value is the cash you parted with for them. they have no value in themselves, except to advertise you parted with cash for them.

the difference is in what you parted with the cash for, in that you parted with it to keep the team solvent and in green bay instead of out of a theory you would get rich by dumping it on a greater fool

Let's get pedantic: there are types of value that don't result in dollars changing hands. We even have the term "sentimental value", but there are other types of value. OP maybe values having the football team in Green Bay. That's a thing a person can value, which may not result in dollars.

I honestly do value peoples' posts on here, but those also cannot be converted into dollars. I value ms cruft's companionship, but that's monetarily worthless.

I assume you meant "they have no cash value" and you're rolling your eyes right now, but I feel compelled here, in the Bitcoin/NFT thread, to point out that there are aspects of the human experience that cannot and should not be monetized.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

cruft posted:

there are aspects of the human experience that cannot and should not be monetized.

one of the biggest problems in the world, imo, is that there are so many shitbags in it who do not, can not, will not understand this

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Subscribe to my Patreon for weekly videos on how to understand this

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fully monetizing the Green Bay San Antonio Packers and loving it.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

cruft posted:

I assume you meant "they have no cash value" and you're rolling your eyes right now, but I feel compelled here, in the Bitcoin/NFT thread, to point out that there are aspects of the human experience that cannot and should not be monetized.

I understand your meaning, but the Green Bay Packers definitely have monetized this particular aspect of the human experience.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Time_pants posted:

I understand your meaning, but the Green Bay Packers definitely have monetized this particular aspect of the human experience.

I found out this weekend that Fubo TV charges people something like $80 a month, just so they can stream college football games.

I'm not into sports but it sure feels like any sports fan in the US is well-acquainted with every damned thing being monetized.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i like that "fubo" is baby talk for "football", that's good. really great marketing, there

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Time_pants posted:

Crowd sourcing is clearly not monetization because it's communism and must be discouraged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

zedprime posted:

Crowd sourcing is clearly not monetization because it's communism and must be discouraged.

Oh boy. The Star Citizen community is not gonna like this...