Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I will never in my life watch any duration of content about testing PSUs but I am thankful for the people doing the work that goes into building a Google Sheet that tells me to buy something called a Super Flower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

SlowBloke posted:

Unless you have special cases to cover, the average big gpu user has a main ATX, an auxiliary EPS cable and the GPU power cables. It's not a giant number of wires to redo.

In principle, yes. But looking into my case through the window, I don't think I can replace the CPU power cable without uninstalling the heat sink. I'd rather just stress test the system and see if the PSU holds before I bother with that.

But I might also ask Corsair whether I can just keep using my existing cables in their newer PSU. I know that mixing and matching PSU cables is normally suspect but maybe Corsair can affirm that they're fitting.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

I will never in my life watch any duration of content about testing PSUs but I am thankful for the people doing the work that goes into building a Google Sheet that tells me to buy something called a Super Flower.

Generally same here, but watching Gamers Nexus speedrun blowing up a lovely Gigabyte PSU from a GPU bundle was pretty funny.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Qft

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Has there been a big problem with failing PSUs? I don’t think I’ve ever actually had one fail over 3 decades of this stuff or even heard of one failing not even back when I was working IT. I assumed it was pretty rare.

By far the most faulty computer part I’ve seen is ram. I’ve had so many sticks show up faulty fresh out of the box.

Maybe it’s an overclocking thing? I’ve rarely bothered except the few times over the years there were particularly good values (like I vaguely recall some celeron that could crazy OC).

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 3, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

FuzzySlippers posted:

Has there been a big problem with failing PSUs? I don’t think I’ve ever actually had one fail over 3 decades of this stuff or even heard of one failing not even back when I was working IT. I assumed it was pretty rare.
there have been a few, but gn was usually on top of it, so i wouldn't expect too many widespread cases to fly under their radar

one of the weirder things with psu's is also that many of them come with hybrid fan curves for quieter cooling, but you're not supposed to actually use that in builds where the psu blows downwards through the case's bottom grate - which is what used to be the typical setup before lian li set up separate gpu compartments. and even then, it's usually still blowing through a perforated panel, so you'll want them to run at full speed either way. i don't think this has lead to outright failures, but it's one of those baffling ux issues we didn't need where it's easier to say when to use it than all the cases to not use it in

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

My EVGA Supernova SFX has an eco mode or something and the fan has literally never turned on even when my PC is under full load. It rocks

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

FuzzySlippers posted:

By far the most faulty computer part I’ve seen is ram. I’ve had so many sticks show up faulty fresh out of the box.

Maybe it’s an overclocking thing? I’ve rarely bothered except the few times over the years there were particularly good values (like I vaguely recall some celeron that could crazy OC).

I mean, there have always been failing PSUs. But despite every single hardware forum except this one always telling me that it's the PSU's fault that my system is crashing (and it always turned out to be something different), I've never had problems with PSUs. But I also never bought reputable ones.

That being said, there's been at least two recent issues with PSUs, of which I'm aware because GamersNexus investigated these thoroughly and communicated very widely about it. First, Gigabyte had a streak of power supplies that could explode. Second, modern power-demanding video cards can create very brief power draw spikes that trigger the self-protection of power supplies, causing systems to shut down. This latter problem seemed to be especially common with 30xx-cards, and should be better with cards older and newer than that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A 400W Corsair CX (so the ultra budget model) is the only PSU I've had fail since the end of the bad capacitor era (everything failed then). Of course if you buy cheap no-name trash you're not going to get quality. Lying about efficiency ratings seems to be especially common in the cheap stuff.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tiny Timbs posted:

It’s amazing to me that anyone (including myself) successfully built computers before the internet.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Subjunctive posted:

It’s amazing to me that anyone (including myself) successfully built computers before the internet.

The flip side of all of this is that I suspect bad parts just skated by because even a poo poo one isn't going to have a failure rate that the average person who builds one new machine ever 4 years is likely to notice.

Say you've got a PSU with a 10% defect rate. That's loving catastrophic. in 2024 you'd have a gigantic reddit mega-thread about it, two dozen youtube tear-downs explaining what's going wrong, twitter would be ablaze, and you'd have a whole second round of poo poo on either the recall or the scandal when the parts aren't recalled and the manufacturer blows off the issue.

In 1994 the part will probably develop a reputation for being flaky just based on your local hardware shop seeing a bunch of replacements. If you're friends with the dude who works there he might tell you to stay away from the brand because it gets a ton of returns. But if you're just Joe Random rear end in a top hat and put together a machine with it? poo poo, 90% chance that it works fine for you and you go on with your life blissfully unaware that you've got The Bad Part in your PC.

Note that none of this is a bad thing. I just think it's easy to get myopic about how most people interact with this kind of info if you're enough of an enthusiast to be watching tech youtube.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

FuzzySlippers posted:

About a decade ago my university bought our computers from a finnish assembler that had won our tender. We mostly bought desktops with SFF cases and small custom PSUs from China. Those PSUs were nearing a 100% failure rate within the 5 year warranty. I remember one classroom that had bit over 20 desktops and one by one they all got replacement PSUs. At least all of those PSUs failed gracefully and didn't destroy anything else with them.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I worked at a university IT dept around 2009 who used Acer as their main laptop supplier. At one point our senior desktop guy worked out the laptops had a 100% failure rate within the 2 year warranty period, but as far as I know they were still a major supplier of business laptops long after we switched to HP.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Don Dongington posted:

I worked at a university IT dept around 2009 who used Acer as their main laptop supplier. At one point our senior desktop guy worked out the laptops had a 100% failure rate within the 2 year warranty period, but as far as I know they were still a major supplier of business laptops long after we switched to HP.

my dad had one of those Acer laptops for work and it was the worst computer I have ever seen

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Their laptops have gotten a lot better in recent years, I actually just recommended the Acer Swift 14 X to a friend looking for a budget work and gaming laptop

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The flip side of all of this is that I suspect bad parts just skated by because even a poo poo one isn't going to have a failure rate that the average person who builds one new machine ever 4 years is likely to notice.

Say you've got a PSU with a 10% defect rate. That's loving catastrophic. in 2024 you'd have a gigantic reddit mega-thread about it, two dozen youtube tear-downs explaining what's going wrong, twitter would be ablaze, and you'd have a whole second round of poo poo on either the recall or the scandal when the parts aren't recalled and the manufacturer blows off the issue.

In 1994 the part will probably develop a reputation for being flaky just based on your local hardware shop seeing a bunch of replacements. If you're friends with the dude who works there he might tell you to stay away from the brand because it gets a ton of returns. But if you're just Joe Random rear end in a top hat and put together a machine with it? poo poo, 90% chance that it works fine for you and you go on with your life blissfully unaware that you've got The Bad Part in your PC.

Note that none of this is a bad thing. I just think it's easy to get myopic about how most people interact with this kind of info if you're enough of an enthusiast to be watching tech youtube.

in 1994 the entire pc was 30W tho, 30W can't put your house on fire

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Truga posted:

in 1994 the entire pc was 30W tho, 30W can't put your house on fire

Wanna bet? If it can create a spark it can create a fire. gently caress up badly enough wiring a light bulb socket and you can burn your house down.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

kliras posted:

but you're not supposed to actually use that in builds where the psu blows downwards through the case's bottom grate

PSU fans are usually installed such that they pull air into the PSU and exhaust out the back where the cord gets connected, etc. So if the PSU is installed at the bottom with the fan facing down through a mesh/grate, it lets it pull in colder air, so that should be a net benefit. It's actually "worse" if it's pulling air from inside the case, which likely has heated exhaust air from radiators, CPU fans, the GPU, etc.

All that said, a properly-constructed PSU with suitable materials should not be that sensitive to these temperatures anyway.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Lord Stimperor posted:

In principle, yes. But looking into my case through the window, I don't think I can replace the CPU power cable without uninstalling the heat sink. I'd rather just stress test the system and see if the PSU holds before I bother with that.

I have a 850W Seasonic Platinum whatever that I got in 2020. I was gifted a full set of CableMod cables for it in 2021. I still haven't installed them for this exact reason.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Canned Sunshine posted:

PSU fans are usually installed such that they pull air into the PSU and exhaust out the back where the cord gets connected, etc. So if the PSU is installed at the bottom with the fan facing down through a mesh/grate, it lets it pull in colder air, so that should be a net benefit. It's actually "worse" if it's pulling air from inside the case, which likely has heated exhaust air from radiators, CPU fans, the GPU, etc.

All that said, a properly-constructed PSU with suitable materials should not be that sensitive to these temperatures anyway.

PSUs that pull air in through the bottom of the case do pick up a lot of dust, I've found. Dust is a problem in general for PCs of course.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Wanna bet? If it can create a spark it can create a fire. gently caress up badly enough wiring a light bulb socket and you can burn your house down.

One of my LS120 drives shorted out and went flamethrower when i pushed eject due to the weird noises.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

jisforjosh posted:

I have a 850W Seasonic Platinum whatever that I got in 2020. I was gifted a full set of CableMod cables for it in 2021. I still haven't installed them for this exact reason.

A month or so back I did a full teardown of my system. The inciting event was an upgrade to a new CPU due to some holiday sales and me wanting to kick the can on a full system refresh by another year or two (2700x -> 5700x). I was also eyeballing a few extra HDDs to set up as a RAID 1 for some really basic bulk storage. Long story short, I decided to just pull everything apart and rebuild it from the ground up.

No screw went unturned on the case. I'm pretty sure I pulled apart some stuff that had come that way from the factory. Some of the dust I pulled out of those nooks and crannies was probably 8 years old at that point, since that's when the first build was done on that case. Took apart the CPU cooler to wash out the heatsink. Totally re-did the cable management. Labeled the cables (albeit kinda lovely with electrical tape flags and sharpie). Rethought the airflow and ended up swapping the direction of a couple of fans. Finally threw out that one 80mm that had a slight rattle that I'd lived with for a couple of years of just thumping the top of the case once a day or so.

The big surprise was how hard the old SATA cables had gotten. Really tough, just dumpstered them and ran to the store for new.

Super satisfying. It was a full day project when it was all said and done, but frankly pretty fun.

What I'm saying is in your shoes I might use those new cables as a reason to go insane and unscrew/unplug/deep clean everything in my PC.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

PSUs that pull air in through the bottom of the case do pick up a lot of dust, I've found. Dust is a problem in general for PCs of course.

Yeah, definitely, which is why ideally it should only be in that configuration when there's a mesh filter over the bottom intake. Most cases now usually have mesh filters on bottom filters I think? (or I've just been spoiled by Fractal)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GPU Meat[H]read - now the PSU thread

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SlowBloke posted:

One of my LS120 drives shorted out and went flamethrower when i pushed eject due to the weird noises.
Hey so you're the other guy that bought a LS120 :hfive:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cyrano4747 posted:

What I'm saying is in your shoes I might use those new cables as a reason to go insane and unscrew/unplug/deep clean everything in my PC.

I need to do this and figure out which fan is the one I can hear so loudly when the system boots or comes out of sleep, sigh.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Canned Sunshine posted:

Yeah, definitely, which is why ideally it should only be in that configuration when there's a mesh filter over the bottom intake. Most cases now usually have mesh filters on bottom filters I think? (or I've just been spoiled by Fractal)

It's one of those things you sacrifice when you go too cheap. Around the $70 mark is where cases start to include dust filters.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!

Craptacular! posted:

This isn't likely just a Radeon issue as I've seen similar for all kinds of people through the past year, many did not have Radeon cards.

Like many FOSS projects, LO runs as intended in a FOSS infrastructure (i.e. Linux) and the Windows version is a hanger-on. In addition to the Stallmanites who think you should be grateful that someone is releasing flunky code for free for your non-free operating system, LO might just be an overworked/underfunded project. I know Red Hat decided to remove it from their repos this year, which allows them to point the fingers at the LO devs and say "blame them" when Enterprise Linux customers find something doesn't work.
Interesting, thanks for that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

slidebite posted:

Hey so you're the other guy that bought a LS120 :hfive:

:whatup: other weird imation products customer!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LS120 rocked and I wanted it but I already had an external parallel Zip drive that loved to kill disks at $10 a pop. Fuckin Zip.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

:whatup: other weird imation products customer!

I still have one too! In my "Old PC Parts" bin, along with an old Zip drive, a USB 3.5" floppy disk drive, etc.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
i know a place with a dexascan machine that's still running nt 4 with studies archived to ls120 disks

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

parasyte posted:

i know a place with a dexascan machine that's still running nt 4 with studies archived to ls120 disks

Did the LS120's way to get 32MB usable on a floppy disk actually work? That would have been cool as hell with how cheap floppies got at the end vs the early, awful flash drives.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I built three machines for work just a few days ago and had a Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 poo poo out almost immediately. The machine booted twice, suddenly powered off before I made any changes in the bios and wouldn’t turn on again. Hit the power button wouldn’t even try to boot, just completely dead. Swapped it for one of the other ones and it booted immediately. I guess even decent power supplies have a lemon or two once in a while.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I saved up and bought a zip drive despite having no use case for it whatsoever way back when. I think I put my school reports on there or something. I don't think I ever read any data back off of them, lol.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Did the LS120's way to get 32MB usable on a floppy disk actually work? That would have been cool as hell with how cheap floppies got at the end vs the early, awful flash drives.

Only the LS240 could do it, and it was painfully slow. By the time the 240 came to market, CD-R burners were everywhere, so nobody cared. I dunno if they ever actually launched the drives stateside?

It does work though supposedly! I’ve never seen a 240 in the flesh to try it tho

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 3, 2024

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Enos Cabell posted:

I've been running the PC of Theseus since 2000 at this point. It may be rocking a 4090 and 7800X3D now, but it started life as an Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz and GeForce 256 machine. I've reused at least one part in every rebuild since.

That owns. What case are you using that is still usable now?

I had to get a different case because my Fractal Define R4 from 2013 couldn’t handle a 360mm radiator (the R5 and above have a non-riveted optical drive cage so it would have worked there, but alas) I would have kept that case forever, what a spectacularly quiet, solid and easy to work in case.

My son has it now and it’s my goal to keep it going for long as it’s able to be used.

I will say that the Torrent 2 is similarly fantastic. I can’t see buying anything else personally given the build quality, customer service quality and just generally cool design.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
What's the consensus on expectations for the 5000x series launch? I've gotten into VR and my laptop GPU is struggling. Considering a build with an upcoming super card but if 5000x drops later this year I'd feel like a fool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m pretty sure the only consensus is that the pricing is going to be disgusting again. We don’t confidently know pretty much anything else but the code name. Hell, they might use another numbering scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

What's the consensus on expectations for the 5000x series launch? I've gotten into VR and my laptop GPU is struggling. Considering a build with an upcoming super card but if 5000x drops later this year I'd feel like a fool.

I'd posit that Nvidia may lead with the top-end and slow walk the rest of the line, so if your budget is $2000 and you would buy a 5090 I might hold out, otherwise I'm pretty sure that Nvidia is going to do their best to keep price / performance similar to the upcoming 40xx Super line if they can.