Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
To be fair, I think the very first time you make a dish it's a good idea to follow the recipe to the letter, but after that is all riffing off of the original

Peeve of the day:
People who shovel/scrape snow into where other people need to use, be it onto the sidewalk, into another parking spot, etc. One of my neighbors has this big rear end truck that he only drives a few times a month, so when he finally has to drive somewhere (I live in Alaska) he's taking off several inches to multiple feet of snow. And where does it all end up? On the sidewalk and the parking spot next to him. Walk it the couple extra feet like everyone else does, ya dick!

Tiny personal peeve: my space bar keeps getting stuck so typing takes an extra chunk of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

docbeard posted:

I grew up with a single mother who worked nights as a nurse and was often asleep around mealtimes, so yeah, I learned how to cook.

My mom was a nurse and other jobs so she was at work from 6 AM to midnight and yeah I learned how to cook at like age 7 and barely saw her. I try to give other people leeway because that's not at all a normal living situation but "how do I tell if water is boiling??" is weirdly common.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Cooking is an art.
Largely based on vibes.

Baking us a science.
If you screw up the proportions slightly you'll ruin the entire thing.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Where are you people meeting these weird goblins that bake water

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

beepo posted:

Unless you are baking, recipes are basically just a guideline if you have a basic level of cooking skill.

If I'm making some pasta sauce, I'll start with a can of tomatoes but from there I am freestyling with whatever herbs and spices that catch my eye and seem like they might be good.

And this is why just about everything she cooks turns out to be amazing. :discourse:

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Grown rear end adults who act like loving children.

So I put in my two-weeks notice on the 19th, and since then my boss has not come into the office. She either calls off sick or works from home and ghosts me on Teams.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I will never understand why Microsoft can't even seem to get File Explorer right. Whenever I use Windows, File Explorer is constantly hanging, taking an inordinate amount of time to load a directory with just a few files, etc. You'd think that a file manager would be one of the major components of an OS - something you'd want to get right. Microsoft can't even get that right.

But of course, there's no motivation for any major innovations in Windows because it's considered an industry default. A lot of people and businesses "need" Windows or Excel, so Microsoft can afford to keep pushing out barely functional crap because you have to buy it. After all, what are ya gonna do, use Linux or Mac?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I will never understand why Microsoft can't even seem to get File Explorer right. Whenever I use Windows, File Explorer is constantly hanging, taking an inordinate amount of time to load a directory with just a few files, etc.

Yup, I have a couple networked drives at home, and it's so willdly annoying clicking in on one.. and then explorer just hangs while that pc wakes the drive up.
Just save a simple list of the folders and directories so that I can browse it, and queue up a copy/paste that'll fire off when it actually runs, instead of hanging, please.

A neighboring annoyance is that in typical windows fashion, they added a way better file compression algo back in win10 at some point, with CompactOS (LZX and XPRESS 4-16K). Can smash a lot of files down to 50% size with fast and nice unpacking speed.
This is of course only available through commandline (or a tool like CompactGUI), and can't be used as easily as the old NTFS compression where you could just right click, set folder/drive to be compressed.
Gotta manually fire up a compress of a folder (or schedule it), and it won't automatically compress new assets going in, in the same way the basic one does.

So yeah, genuinely useful feature that basically nobody will hear about or use, heavily limited down. (A number of games and large software can also be smashed down, 20-50% reduction, there's a reason the PS5 and XSX do on-disk compression.)

I have a tiered disk set up as well, which is another case of 'incredibly useful functionality only available through commandline.', even though it could be exposed to interested users through an applet, if they cared to do so.
(Though arguably, tiered storage is solidly into power user territory, though 'pair up a HDD with a bit of your SSD to load stuff faster' is something a lot of people would use, if they could do so easily.)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SubNat posted:

Yup, I have a couple networked drives at home, and it's so willdly annoying clicking in on one.. and then explorer just hangs while that pc wakes the drive up)

A couple years ago I learned that if a network drive cannot be found it delays the whole thing for 15 seconds every time it opens.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Tunicate posted:

A couple years ago I learned that if a network drive cannot be found it delays the whole thing for 15 seconds every time it opens.

Is there anything that can be done about that? I have a work network drive I need to be on a special VPN to access, so any time I'm not on that VPN file explorer hangs for 15 seconds all the time.

I'm working around it by constantly mapping and unmapping the stupid drive every time I need it but god drat.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Whenever i open Firefox it takes up to fifteen minutes before it will actually access the Internet. I tried to research this and found something about ublock origin having a setting where you can't use the browser until it has downloaded updated blocklists. I disabled that. The behavior has not changed. I can't figure out WTF is going on

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The trend where YouTubers hold lav mics in their hands instead of pinning them to their chests where they're supposed to go is mildly annoying to me as an occasional location sound mixer/boom operator/general sound guy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

The trend where YouTubers hold lav mics in their hands instead of pinning them to their chests where they're supposed to go is mildly annoying to me as an occasional location sound mixer/boom operator/general sound guy.

They learned nothing from Ricky Bobby

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I recently saw a youtube video about the "holding the lav" phenomenon but either I didn't actually watch it or it slid completely off my brain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's a travesty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who stare at you like you're crazy when you're describing something, to the point you start to doubt yourself. And then they know exactly what you're talking about. WHAT WAS THAT FACE

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've seen people claiming that holding it is better because if it's pinned to your chest you'll have to eq out the sound of your pulse but - and I'm NOT a sound mixer , but - doesn't it lead to OTHER problems with the equalization instead then?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The deli people keep putting the price sticker too close to the zippy thing and the zippy thing gets all jammed up!!! :argh:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Videos/reels/toks where it’s a guy pointing at a video on the other half othe screen telling me to watch or listen. Now a video plays on half the screen while another guy just stares at me like an rear end in a top hat while pointing at the actual video I’m supposed to watch. What the gently caress. Doubly irritating when the video playing is hentai

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

FFT posted:

I recently saw a youtube video about the "holding the lav" phenomenon but either I didn't actually watch it or it slid completely off my brain.
Looks more “authentic”, contrasted to professionally produced poo poo like Prauger.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

oldpainless posted:

Videos/reels/toks where it’s a guy pointing at a video on the other half othe screen telling me to watch or listen. Now a video plays on half the screen while another guy just stares at me like an rear end in a top hat while pointing at the actual video I’m supposed to watch. What the gently caress. Doubly irritating when the video playing is hentai

So like you're seeing a split screen, one half is the thing you're supposed to be watching and the other half is a guy pointing? I don't understand, please provide an example.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

So like you're seeing a split screen, one half is the thing you're supposed to be watching and the other half is a guy pointing? I don't understand, please provide an example.

Especially on TikTok you actually have a greenscreened person over the video. And they are nodding and pointing. Reaction videos were bad enough but these are people who have absolutely nothing to add, but have to find a way to create content.

Like this:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
haha that made me laugh out loud, that sounds absurd and looks kind of adorable

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I hate it when people make food but don't understand how to talk about food in appealing terms. Use menu words, people! Don't tell me about mistakes you made in the process, and for God's sake don't describe any ingredient as "old" or tell me you "had it around a while". These aren't leftovers you reheated for yourself, you're ostensibly attempting to please a guest, so at the very least make them not feel like they're eating something you pulled out of deep freeze and thawed in the sink.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

When you need some packing tape, and the store you pop by only has the shittiest kind imaginable.
You buy it, hoping it won't be as bad as the other one you think of, but somehow it's even worse.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
"You don't have to hand it to him," sounds like a silly catchphrase that a single person might use, but for some reason this has caught on and lots of people are saying it. Are you guys referencing something, quoting someone, when you say this? Or do your lizard brains just see a pattern and feel like you need to be part of the pattern?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

credburn posted:

"You don't have to hand it to him," sounds like a silly catchphrase that a single person might use, but for some reason this has caught on and lots of people are saying it. Are you guys referencing something, quoting someone, when you say this?
They're quoting a six year old dril tweet, op
https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?lang=en

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Tbf goons (and everyone else) relying on online clichés and memes as a humour/personality substitute is lame as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Perfect Element posted:

Tbf goons (and everyone else) relying on online clichés and memes as a humour/personality substitute is lame as hell.

That’s cap blud on god. Get your skibbidy straight

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Perfect Element posted:

So you're the coward yelling LOG OFF outside my house.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

"having X instead of a personality" gets overused to the point of half the time it's really just that somebody did X at all to any degree while the person complaining is tired of X. It's not actually that anybody has no personality, it's that a thing they like or do is annoying. But no let's jump to claiming that other people actually don't have full interiority at all. Like calling them NPCs

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m in UTC +6 and my US family and friends are in UTC -6. So in other words we are exact opposites. Should be convenient but it’s actually really annoying bc my brain autocorrects. Like it’s a quarter past 6 here and a quarter past 18 back in :911: and I’ll describe something as happening today, when actually it was yesterday but my brain autocorrects to the opposite for people here, for whom it is yesterday, and then in the middle of the night I’ll talk about yesterday things to my mom for whom that day ia still today. It would be so much easier if it was an obvious skew, like -8 and +4

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

InediblePenguin posted:

"having X instead of a personality" gets overused to the point of half the time it's really just that somebody did X at all to any degree while the person complaining is tired of X. It's not actually that anybody has no personality, it's that a thing they like or do is annoying. But no let's jump to claiming that other people actually don't have full interiority at all. Like calling them NPCs
I conversed with a self-admitted serial The Office watcher recently and I'd rather stick a gun in my mouth than do it again.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

FFT posted:

I conversed with a self-admitted serial The Office watcher recently and I'd rather stick a gun in my mouth than do it again.
I would feel the same. Never said you can't find the poo poo annoying, i just think the phrase "instead of a personality" is like the 4chan fascist npc meme at its heart plus that it's ironic to complain about people overusing memetic phrases via use of another memetic phrase

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FFT posted:

That’s what she said!

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Wolf packs in the wild are mostly communal family units. The whole hierarchy thing happens to wolves bred in captivity. So when a dude says "I'm kind of an Alpha," he's really saying "I was raised in a cage and never allowed to mate."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m in UTC +6 and my US family and friends are in UTC -6. So in other words we are exact opposites. Should be convenient but it’s actually really annoying bc my brain autocorrects. Like it’s a quarter past 6 here and a quarter past 18 back in :911: and I’ll describe something as happening today, when actually it was yesterday but my brain autocorrects to the opposite for people here, for whom it is yesterday, and then in the middle of the night I’ll talk about yesterday things to my mom for whom that day ia still today. It would be so much easier if it was an obvious skew, like -8 and +4
I've worked with people in vastly different time zones for like 20 years and the simplest way to handle this is to recognize that it applies to the other party as well. Just don't worry about it unless it specifically matters.

Good morning - I mean good evening! and good afternoon as well - did you get the email I sent yesterday? Sorry, I mean I guess earlier today technically? Anyway I'll send an update at the end of the day. My day, so your...like morning?

vs

Good morning did you get my email from yesterday? I'll send another update later today.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

vs

I'M CALLING FROM THE FUTURE, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, DON'T *beeeeeeeeeee----............*

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

InediblePenguin posted:

I would feel the same. Never said you can't find the poo poo annoying, i just think the phrase "instead of a personality" is like the 4chan fascist npc meme at its heart plus that it's ironic to complain about people overusing memetic phrases via use of another memetic phrase

You are not wrong, but fortunately peeves don't have to be illogical or non hypocritical I am still the real winner.

Or I could correct my previous post to refer specifically to memes or clichés that I myself don't use or like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

LinkedIn notifications. Oh goody....my profile was noticed by x people! Surely that will be the thing that causes the job offers to come rolling in!