Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, I saw that on my last playthrough. I'm guessing that's some sort of tripped plot flag where the game counts Mol as dead at that point even when she is very obviously not.

Hmmm, bummer. Did that change anything in Act 3 with her for you, with regards to her contract and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No she's still alive and you can talk to her about the contract after you find it. I did not get the Find Mol quest in Act 2 however, nor did it update in the Illithid Colony as it normally would.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The saddest character bug on my current run is that Shovel is broken and has no interactive dialog. She tells my monk to go talk to the mirror (which I already did long ago) and tells Gale (who summoned her) how trustworthy she is for helping with the mirror. Long rests and re-summonings don't fix her.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I got Fork at the end of Act 2 when I finally took some Wizard levels. She just wants to Murderize for me. There is bugged dialogue with a cursed corpse in Cazadors mansion as well. You should be able to speak with dead to it to learn who did it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Minthara shat the bed a little on my current run cos she said Shadowheart had renounced Shar even though I haven't been there yet. I know people used to bitch about minty being half-baked, is that still the case?

e: also the game does not expect you to take minty in the boat to last light if you haven't actually been there yet lol

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thundarr posted:

Just saw a cute multi class combo that I don't think I've seen brought up here: warlock 2 / tempest cleric 1 / abjuration wizard 9. Warlock mainly for Armor of Agathys and the Armor of Shadows invocation, cleric mainly for easy Create Water and several useful non-arcane spells. The wizard levels are mostly focused on ice spells. Basically you abuse the poo poo out of free Mage Armor casts to keep your abjuration ward maxed out and deliberately ruin past enemies to provoke opportunity attacks, which you've reduced to essentially nothing (thanks to the abjuration ability + Blade Ward) but nukes them back for heavy damage from Armor of Agathys and Flame Shield. And then the usual elemental spell antics, but with ice and freezing / prone people instead of chain lightning nukes.

I’ve seen this too, although it was Sorcerer 1/tempest Cleric 1/Wizard 10, since one of the draconic ancestries gives you Armor of Agathys. A little too cute for me though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

bird with big dick posted:

I always leave Ethel for last so I can keep buying potions of giant strength off her every day. Can pretty easily get enough for the entire rest of the game.

I did this and kind of overdid it, as in I'm in Act 3, and almost done with the game, and graduated to Cloud Giant potions but still have a stack of Ethel's hill giant potions from way back in Act1.

I heard if you give the noblestalk to Derryth in Act 2, in Act 3, she has Cloud Giant potions for sale at her store, cause I gave it to Shart in my current run, and Derryth has a very small selection now. Even the other alchemist over in Wyvern's Run doesn't have anything good.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Snake Maze posted:

I'd say go 6 levels into sword bard (since that's when you get extra attack), then take 4 levels in fighter (you only need 2 for the action surge, but 2 more gets you a subclass and a perk so probably worth it).
imo no

Keep in mind tho the tradeoff is that you don't get bard level 10: which is another huge power spike since you get magical secrets which means counterspell (one of the best defenses in the game)/misty steps. Otherwise your spell slots are just underused.

you only need 2 feats on your bard anyway (Alert+maybe ASI)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Sloober posted:

i beat the game the first time w/o any multiclassing and didn't have any troubles on normal difficulty so yeah, you do not need to min-max unless you're trying harder stuff

you don't need to multi-class even for tactician

in fact I would argue most instances of multi-classing is not that big of an improvement over single class, and a lot of combos are downright worse than getting 12 levels in one class

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

AgentHaiTo posted:

I did this and kind of overdid it, as in I'm in Act 3, and almost done with the game, and graduated to Cloud Giant potions but still have a stack of Ethel's hill giant potions from way back in Act1.

I heard if you give the noblestalk to Derryth in Act 2, in Act 3, she has Cloud Giant potions for sale at her store, cause I gave it to Shart in my current run, and Derryth has a very small selection now. Even the other alchemist over in Wyvern's Run doesn't have anything good.

Vendor inventories are mostly RNG. You can give them both the noblestalk but this requires triggering the dialogue with Shadowheart then moving the orange bordered mushroom to your camp chest so it doesn’t get “consumed”

I’m sitting on 2 Planetar feathers still despite checking the shops every long rest :argh:

Typo posted:

you don't need to multi-class even for tactician

in fact I would argue most instances of multi-classing is not that big of an improvement over single class, and a lot of combos are downright worse than getting 12 levels in one class

Arcane Trickster. Level 2 spells just don’t hit the same at a certain point. You can definitely still be the game mono classed though. Everyone else in the group is single class and even after the Paladin just leroyed into the House of Grief we made it out by running towards the door instead of you know just standing in the killbox.

Black Noise fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 3, 2024

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

poo poo Minthara says ep#262

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ4Q98ekxfE

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Yeah, I don’t tend to multiclass very much at all and I’ve got something like 7 or 8 complete run throughs of the game.

It can certainly be fun to tinker with (mainly I like making Astarion a Gloomstalker Assassin), but I get a kick out of seeing all to toys a particular class gets access to at level 12.

I’d argue that no one should worry about multiclassing until they’ve played through it a time or two or are getting super bored. If you’ve got broken gamer brain and just have to do it, then by all means you do you. But Larian spent a long time balancing this thing and I think it’s worth it to just go along for the ride at least once.

But I also can’t seem to enjoy bards very much so I am not the king of how to play this game or whatever.

It’s kinda good to know that the speed run video is based on how you actually have to do it, but it still creeps me out to see it animated like that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just really enjoy multiclassing, particularly in act 3 once everyone hits high enough levels that it doesn't feel like a handicap. It's fun to just try poo poo out and not worry about trying to look up guides and crap, just see for yourself what lands and what doesn't. Most stuff will be viable if not optimal (obvious exception being barbs/spellcasters, although I bet you could gently caress around with wild magic barb/wild magic sorc for shenanigans). Just have a blast doing whatever and look up advice if you're getting your rear end handed to you in every encounter.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think the overall impact of multiclassing gets somewhat blunted by the finite number of supporting items in the game. You can spread the good stuff around but ultimately no matter how you do it, there's going to be 1 or 2 characters who activate the unreal announcer voice every time their turn comes up while the other half are mostly just making them hit even harder.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Typo posted:

imo no

Keep in mind tho the tradeoff is that you don't get bard level 10: which is another huge power spike since you get magical secrets which means counterspell (one of the best defenses in the game)/misty steps. Otherwise your spell slots are just underused.

you only need 2 feats on your bard anyway (Alert+maybe ASI)

Probably depends on the rest of your team, I think. Counterspell is great, but losing the fighter subclass and a perk for it is a lot, if other team members can cover it. You really want sharpshooter for the +10 damage, so a third perk is nice for ASIs and/or alert. (I'm pretty tempted to skip alert and just get another ASI or a +1 dex perk on this run - my bard hasn't had any trouble beating the enemies in initiative, and getting another dex modifier still boosts initiative some while also raising damage, accuracy, and AC)

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I stole this from reddit but put it in the OP sound on if you can't hear it in your head https://i.imgur.com/niyU0bu.mp4

This was made around launch but I think about it all the time whenever the paragraphs start piling up :laugh: Except for that skeleton dude that kept getting everyone killed. That was admittedly a car accident gawker moment for me "how the gently caress are you leaving so much unintended death behind you?"

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

exquisite tea posted:

I think the overall impact of multiclassing gets somewhat blunted by the finite number of supporting items in the game. You can spread the good stuff around but ultimately no matter how you do it, there's going to be 1 or 2 characters who activate the unreal announcer voice every time their turn comes up while the other half are mostly just making them hit even harder.

I don’t necessarily think that’s true, it’s going to depend on your party composition. one of my goals in games like this is ‘don’t let the really cool items go to waste’ and I still can’t find a use for everything. There are definitely supporting items like the risky ring that can go on basically anyone and you have to pick who needs it most, but otherwise you’ve got pretty defined sets of gear.

There are 6 S Tier builds (IMO) and you could outfit all 6 of them at once, and any one of them can go nuts and steamroll a fight, and you’d have plenty of gear left over for several of the A tier builds.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I don’t necessarily think that’s true, it’s going to depend on your party composition. one of my goals in games like this is ‘don’t let the really cool items go to waste’ and I still can’t find a use for everything. There are definitely supporting items like the risky ring that can go on basically anyone and you have to pick who needs it most, but otherwise you’ve got pretty defined sets of gear.

There are 6 S Tier builds (IMO) and you could outfit all 6 of them at once, and any one of them can go nuts and steamroll a fight, and you’d have plenty of gear left over for several of the A tier builds.

all items can be thrown, ergo, you can find a use for them all very easily

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Zirak posted:

Has anyone else run into a bug since Patch 5 where Mol and Raphael no longer play chess? After the intro scene when getting to Last Light Raphael is on his chair but Mol is standing next to hers and doesn't take it. Talking to her just has her say a line about waiting for someone else. Talking to Raphael starts dialogue without the chess match. It's a bummer as I really liked that scene. Googling it seems to confirm it's a bug from Patch 5 but I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered it?

Wait, what scene is this? I didn't see it in my playthrough, but Mol was alive and well and I did that quest with the kids in the grove. Are there some other prereqs for this?

Dang, the amount of stuff in this game I missed, even though I did everything I could find

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Professor Beetus posted:

Enhance leap is a ritual spell so if you're using it out of combat you don't need to waste a spell slot. Unless you mean it takes up a spot that you could otherwise use for... something? But in most cases you are probably going to be using 3-4 spells in any given combat, so dedicating some wizard spell slots to useful utility spells is fine if you're not interested in micromanaging your spell book every time you're about to go into a combat. (Which in most cases isn't all that tedious because you will generally be doing a decent amount of traversal between combats).

It took me way too long to figure out that Ritual spells were a thing and what that meant and which spells were ritual. I wish the game signposted that a bit better. Having Gale know Longstrider just means everyone in your party always has +3m to their movement speed forever if you’re willing to spend 30 seconds in camp casting it on everyone after every long rest, and it costs zero resources or spell slots and doesn’t even require concentration.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah I have some issues with certain tooltips. Idk why they hide the rituality of spells on the level-up screen. And some debuffing items and spells allow saving throws every turn but they only mention that fact SOMETIMES, it's pretty confusing!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
Weirdest one to me is that the alchemy menu still doesn't tell you what anything does in the tooltips, you just have to remember which potion does what.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^yeah this is one of my biggest remaining nitpicks in the game. It's like, why???^

Entropic posted:

It took me way too long to figure out that Ritual spells were a thing and what that meant and which spells were ritual. I wish the game signposted that a bit better. Having Gale know Longstrider just means everyone in your party always has +3m to their movement speed forever if you’re willing to spend 30 seconds in camp casting it on everyone after every long rest, and it costs zero resources or spell slots and doesn’t even require concentration.

I usually just cast it on the party members I am rolling with as soon as we leave camp for the convenience of them standing in one place, but yeah. Enhance leap is also a must have imo, especially in the early levels where you likely don't have anyone that can fly. I spent a lot of time wasting spell slots on things like misty step and dimension door for out of reach places. Enhance leap, longstrider, and feather fall are all things I try to keep in my party at all times.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Entropic posted:

you can upcast Longstrider to hit all four party members at once!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My biggest remaining annoyance with this game is that they always change the camera orientation whenever you use a waypoint or zone into another area. I always want it to face north! Stop doing that!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
mine is that the returning pike doesnt return all the time

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My usual thing on this run after ending a long rest is having the buffbot hireling make potions, drop Longstrider on everybody and put Darkvision on the two party members that don't already have it. Then I stand towards the middle of camp and use Perform to attract anybody that isn't in the active party so Shadowheart can walk over and hit everybody with an upcast Aid. Once the buffbot has a couple of cleric levels that will be her job too.

If I feel the need to swap people out before the next long rest, everybody's already set.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sloober posted:

mine is that the returning pike doesnt return all the time
Generally, the only time it doesn't return is if you initial combat with a throw. Outside of that, if you wait a few seconds in real-time, it 99% comes back (and that 1% is the most annoying!).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What kind of disaster chaos monster build do you end up with if you go for the “take a level in every class without respeccing” achievement?

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Has anybody even done that achievement on a character they're actually using

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ChronoReverse posted:

Generally, the only time it doesn't return is if you initial combat with a throw. Outside of that, if you wait a few seconds in real-time, it 99% comes back (and that 1% is the most annoying!).

Last night I had a case where not only did the Returning Pike not return (it wasn't used to initiate combat), it was marked as stealing to pick it back up. Good thing nobody was left alive nearby to notice.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

Entropic posted:

What kind of disaster chaos monster build do you end up with if you go for the “take a level in every class without respeccing” achievement?

You'd probably end up as a mediocre wizard? Since you're never getting extra attack, but all the spell slots stack and you can scribe scrolls. I'd be curious to see how it went for someone who actually did it on tactician or honor mode, if they ended up with something more cohesive than "get carried by your other 3 party members"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

if that was the case i wouldnt be bothered by it

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

loving lol

Just watched a video on YouTube of a resist Durge turned mindflayer at the epilogue party talking to an Ascendent Astarion (who might have been a romance partner?). Astarion says monstrous things, the mindflayer says that sounds bad, Astarion says who cares. Mindflayer gets the option to eat Astarion at the party. This initiates combat, but literally everyone at the party is on your side. Everyone’s green in the order.

Withers still kicks you out, but lolololol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

My biggest remaining annoyance with this game is that they always change the camera orientation whenever you use a waypoint or zone into another area. I always want it to face north! Stop doing that!

The camera in this game is completely unhinged and it's the one major glaring flaw that takes the game from an 11/10 to a 10/10 for me

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Trevor Hale posted:

loving lol

Just watched a video on YouTube of a resist Durge turned mindflayer at the epilogue party talking to an Ascendent Astarion (who might have been a romance partner?). Astarion says monstrous things, the mindflayer says that sounds bad, Astarion says who cares. Mindflayer gets the option to eat Astarion at the party. This initiates combat, but literally everyone at the party is on your side. Everyone’s green in the order.

Post final boss is your mysterious elven companion who's gained a great deal of power but lost their grip on morality.

But enough about Dragon Age Inquisition.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Morrow posted:

Post final boss is your mysterious elven companion who's gained a great deal of power but lost their grip on morality.

But enough about Dragon Age Inquisition.

Major Dragon Age: Inquisition spoilers: I was so proud of myself when I correctly predicted from the start that Solas would end up betraying you

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Professor Beetus posted:

The camera in this game is completely unhinged and it's the one major glaring flaw that takes the game from an 11/10 to a 10/10 for me

Had the drider ambush in the shadowlands last night and it was so weird cuz the camera locked itself above the house but far to the left. I’ve never seen the map form that angle before and couldn’t get it to reposition even as I ran around

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
I was going to get the blood of lathander in my hard mode run, went with the party grouped while I was in a zoom meeting with no sound on the game, and disarmed the second little trap thing. Went fine.

Then it knocked my entire party off the edge to their death and I lost the run 15 hours in. Incredible.

I barely beat the gith ambush, abused shadowheart radiant spirit guardian reverb thing, because wow that guy getting to summon swords every time you hit someone was wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Trevor Hale posted:

loving lol

that's fking amazing

also if gale ascends to godhood he gets absolutely bonkers spells

Typo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 3, 2024