Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

bedpan posted:

yep. anyone getting mad enough to boycott over this will not in fact stop buying any of the products or consuming the media

nor would they be the type to leave the house to go see a movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

there’s three big reasons nerds want to boycott dnd.

1) The open games license (ogl) enables extremely problematic content into the hobby. This is evil
2) wizards was changing to ogl so they have some sort of way to prevent 1. this is evil
3) rangers are not badass enough. more buffs for rangers. this is the real reason to be mad

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Also of course

4. everyone should actually play my favorite game system, which has a 20 page rule book that mostly focuses on the yes and style of improvisation but also in two sentences describes an extremely complicated and also somehow contradictory set of dice rules for resolving skill checks.

(All that said dnd also sucks. They all have downsides)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If you say any of this in the TG forum they hunt you down. Like a dog.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
You guys are doing a great job of reminding me why I could never get into D&D into the first place. I just couldn't get past the mechanics enough to have fun.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Twigand Berries posted:

I read disc world books too long ago to remember much, but Pratchett wrote this delightful story about a time he was waiting for a train and he accidentally ate a stranger's snacks on a shared table thinking they were his and both of them were quietly (Britishly) outraged and said nothing the entire time. I watched some comedy a year or so ago, can't for the life of me remember which one, but I remember it blatantly stole that story.

This is a story that Douglas Adams told as well, also saying that it happened to him. And it's not original to him or Pratchett, it's an old urban legend. Disappointing.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Eric Cantonese posted:

You guys are doing a great job of reminding me why I could never get into D&D into the first place. I just couldn't get past the mechanics enough to have fun.

Its called Baldur's Gate III you can even play it with friends if you have any

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's markedly improved through the editions but is still a horrendous overly mechanical mess - newcomers would be dumbstruck that they're playing the streamlined and cleaned up edition. But the old-timers will always insist on more rules and exceptions and edge cases so they can continue to abuse the rules.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Best Friends posted:

1) The open games license (ogl) enables extremely problematic content into the hobby. This is evil
2) wizards was changing to ogl so they have some sort of way to prevent 1. this is evil
3) rangers are not badass enough. more buffs for rangers. this is the real reason to be mad

this is why I only play FATAL

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Best Friends posted:

:psyduck:

I thought it was about wizards revoking the ogl and replacing it to fleece more money out of 3rd party publishers. they had to backtrack so hard they put it back under a creative commons license

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmel/status/1742324477323833546

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

well is he?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
let them fight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

indigi posted:

let them fight

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

I thought it was about wizards revoking the ogl and replacing it to fleece more money out of 3rd party publishers. they had to backtrack so hard they put it back under a creative commons license

this could easily be their motivation in part or in full but tightening the ogl would be required to prevent Race Wars: Excalibur from being published under ogl as well and internally (so I’ve been told by knowers) that was the stated reason

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

drake no trad games
drake yes trad wife

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
D&D deserves to die and it’s fans deserve to be left gameless after they rejected 4E. You have shown yourselves to be a sinful people. Unworthy of salvation.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/KeithOlbermann/status/1742331441609150488?s=20
keith is gonna destroy jimmy kimmel :smith:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eric Cantonese posted:

we always ignore mechanics in the name of fun when my buddies and I play. it's a choice.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
There's a new version of Mean Girls coming out. If you thought it could be a thoughtful update written with the experiences of Generation Tik-Tok in mind, or even with some zoomers in the writers room... You must still think we're in The Good Place.

It's a movie ersion of the 2013 Broadway musical version of the 2004 movie.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Greg12 posted:

There's a new version of Mean Girls coming out. If you thought it could be a thoughtful update written with the experiences of Generation Tik-Tok in mind, or even with some zoomers in the writers room... You must still think we're in The Good Place.

oh good but i think i'll wait for the novelization

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Greg12 posted:

We just got a new The Color Purple movie based on the broadway musical and that turned out pretty deece so heck,

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

nonathlon posted:

This is a story that Douglas Adams told as well, also saying that it happened to him. And it's not original to him or Pratchett, it's an old urban legend. Disappointing.

Terry Prachett and Douglas Adams did this to each other. Both are too British to ever name names.

Best Friends posted:

If you say any of this in the TG forum they hunt you down. Like a dog.

Lol yeah it kinda owns. Anyways I found out a long time ago that I don't actually want to play a campaign, I just wanna do a book club with math problems and dice rolling.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Somehow missed The Butterfly Effect until it just appeared on Netflix and it’s borderline experimental

20 mins in and Eric Stoltz is turbo molesting kids immediately after they get dropped off, Michael Biehn is kicking young Ashton’s rear end, little kid dropping F bombs at a showing of Se7en, girl gets smoked by a log and a dog is on fire. This is amazing.

e: slut goth!

e2: they blew up a BABY

Durf has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Jan 4, 2024

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
:gas:

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

wonka is a particularly insidious superhero movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bro Dad posted:

That was it, yes, it was close to the Unity thing where the wording was vague enough it seemed like they'd intend to retroactively seek royalties from third party books and pull previously freely distributed books from circulation. And similarly it basically instantly burned all of their bridges with third party publishers who went on to make their own OGL trust with blackjack and hookers, even Critical Role made their own system to distance themselves from D&D.

Best Friends posted:

this could easily be their motivation in part or in full but tightening the ogl would be required to prevent Race Wars: Excalibur from being published under ogl as well and internally (so I’ve been told by knowers) that was the stated reason

No one believed them. Especially since they already hired on all the loudest racists and rapists as consultants for 5e, only hastily removing them from the credits after the uproar and Mike Mearls handling it in the worst possible way.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

an egg posted:

wonka is a particularly insidious superhero movie

go on

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
watch the boy and the heron (rpatz dub), great flick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

The boycott dnd movement is one million percent online and also primarily composed of people who will absolutely continue buying wizards products and at a high rate.

I have no idea why anyone thought a dnd movie would be a mega hit. It was fun and well done imo but you need to be much more open minded to nerdiness to see it than is required for a comic book movie. Also the previous dnd movies were extraordinarily embarrassing.

Wasn't baldurs gate the hottest poo poo of the year in the video game industry. Maybe they should rerelease the movie with BG branding.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

controlling the means of production gives wonka magical powers

he stole the last of a people's precious natural resources but it's okay because they can work for him now

to get his product in the hands of the market, he must fight a secret alliance between industry and the police force (both of which are represented by corrupt brown men)

his victory hinges on his enemies keeping a literal mycrimes.txt, and also on reporting the corrupt police force to itself

he has no humanitarian intentions besides making money from chocolate, but he semi-accidentally helps an orphan of colour so it's a happy ending

he says he hates stealing but then flagrantly steals a big bunch of balloons and also the milk of a cgi giraffe

the chocolate is an analogy for drugs

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

yes i did see the film under duress

at least the actors seemed to be having fun

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i see so what youre saying is that willy wonka is to capitalism what paul atreides is to colonialism

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm glad all my Wonka dune jokes have been vindicated

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

i see so what youre saying is that willy wonka is to capitalism what paul atreides is to colonialism
yes and i won't stand for it

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

furthermore, for the giraffe to be in milk, she must have recently given birth. where is the baby giraffe??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah where the gently caress is it, baby giraffes are loving adorable

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m sure the baby giraffe is like, stirring the fudge cauldron with a comically long ladle, juuust offscreen over there.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

timothee can do some pretty cute crazy eyes, i must admit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Greg12 posted:

They did that with the 2022 Matilda movie. It was based on a 2010 stage musical based on the original 1996 movie.

Srice posted:

We just got a new The Color Purple movie based on the broadway musical and that turned out pretty deece so heck,

I guess this is Hollywood's current hack trend. Find stage musicals based on movies and remake them as musical movies.

Marenghi has issued a correction as of 13:05 on Jan 4, 2024